Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Do you think a not-insignificant number of Republicans just went "oh poo poo" and decided Mike Pence would be a better President?

If they didn't do that in 2017, 2018 and 2019 I don't think a little thing like 'starting a war for funsies' will sway them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

stev posted:

If they didn't do that in 2017, 2018 and 2019 I don't think a little thing like 'starting a war for funsies' will sway them.

Yeah if anything it makes hardcore Republicans like him even more.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Comrade Fakename posted:

The best version of the RoboCop vg theme is obviously the Game Boy one, a true classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGIKnn-COS4

Is this the robocop thread now

A cool remix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG8HOAo2TbA

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Meanwhile in other news:

Vile scumbucket Pearson writes:

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1214638213257728001?s=20

Nice that they chose to accompany this with a picture of her looking pretty and warm and friendly. It's like the reverse of that passage from the Twits about inner beauty. The more fellow-feeling and care for others someone displays, the uglier they appear to Tories.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mr Phillby posted:

loving amazing that the president can just start a war in the middle of being impeached

what a good system of government

Even dumber the people who impeached him will now support him

Whew that was some drama over night

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

https://twitter.com/deportablediz/status/1214707714875691008

guys you won the election

guys you can stop now

guys

GUYS

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/PeterIsztin/status/1214309023756869632?s=19

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Say whatever you like about Thatcherism, at least it's a loving ethos man

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Actually, it's ethosophilia.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

guys you can stop now

guys

GUYS

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

https://twitter.com/deportablediz/status/1214707714875691008

guys you can stop now

guys

GUYS

I want to scream at how nakedly, purposely poo poo our media is. They're covering the Labour leadership election with far more vigour and enthusiasm than they are the absence of the prime minister during escalating military conflict involving close allies.

I hope every media commentator has a loving stroke.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Trump thought he could pull a ridiculous power move without consequences and got called out, this is exactly what he deserves and I have zero sympathy for him or anyone who picks up a gun in service of the country he leads.

You realise the US has the draft. I had to sign up for it when I moved there. Volunteering to pick up a gun, sure, but that's not necessarily what's going to happen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

You realise the US has the draft. I had to sign up for it when I moved there. Volunteering to pick up a gun, sure, but that's not necessarily what's going to happen.

America has been at war for most of my lifetime, but it hasn't used the draft in my lifetime. It isn't going to happen.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Also, the main places they do get volunteers from are towns in the arse end of the states with a whole lot of nothing in them, of kids looking for a way out of those places, to get a college education.

It's the time old thing of depriving a community of any jobs, then hoovering up the desperate by offering them pay and travel, except oops you're killing brown people and we won't home you after you get PTSD

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Trump thought he could pull a ridiculous power move without consequences and got called out, this is exactly what he deserves and I have zero sympathy for him or anyone who picks up a gun in service of the country he leads.

This will be awful for Iran but it's nonetheless going to backfire massively on trump, so silver linings

this was basically all the military people who have for years wanted to kill suleimani finally having a president who doesn't give a poo poo about consequences so they presented him with it knowing he would do it and could take cover that he would get the blame

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://twitter.com/Direthoughts/status/1214710352744796166?s=19

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol https://twitter.com/safimichael/status/1214837866313990144

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Unfortunately I have to admit ignorance. What is Qasem Soleimani supposed to have done that makes him a terrorist and it being such a good thing he was killed?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He was a bit poo poo to civilians and may have been indiscriminate while he was defeating ISIS and al-Nusra, but that puts him more in the league of Bernard Montgomery than Osama bin Laden.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

bessantj posted:

Unfortunately I have to admit ignorance. What is Qasem Soleimani supposed to have done that makes him a terrorist and it being such a good thing he was killed?

I believe he was the head of a bunch of Iran's foreign insurgent groups. So he was probably your standard war hawk rear end in a top hat but nothing particular.

"Did he deserve to die" probably for a whole bunch of reason but by a metric that if applied to the US would probably see the higher commands pretty well purged.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

He was a bit poo poo to civilians and may have been indiscriminate while he was defeating ISIS and al-Nusra, but that puts him more in the league of Bernard Montgomery than Osama bin Laden.

Let's not sugar coat this though, dude was in charge AFAIK of Iran's intelligence? That means finding terrorist orgs at the very least. He was not a good dude by any metric but here's the thing: THAT DOESN'T MATTER. You can't assassinate people, even if they're terrorists, out of nowhere. You know why? Because the category of who is and isn't a terrorist is very subject to change based on whims.

Owen Jones' sister was detained under terrorism laws after returning from the G8 protests in Germany, iirc. We should always condemn assassination without trial because it's morally wrong and also because of pragmatic reasons. The left is opposed to the establishment and the establishment decides who is a terrorist. Once we get any actual opposition going, it'll be us.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's my line of thought. Montgomery funded terrorist cells in Africa too, but they were ours so they were actually freedom cells (the best cells).

But he also defeated fascists and 80% of the country regarded him as a war hero (about the same as Soleimani in Iran) in the 50s/60s, so it'd be like if Russia had blown him up out of nowhere while he was wandering around Africa plotting mineral access coups. The country would be livid and there would be a reaction.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I'd suspect that construction of an intelligence service focused on assassination of top government officials would get you invaded faster than announcing you have a nuclear weapons program despite being less dangerous.

The USA has both of course.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I should appreciate Trumps response to the missile attack. It's surprisingly..... diplomatic? compared to his usual belligerent rhetoric.

I don't know what the US expected from Iran. Did they expect Iranian pilots in 40 year old Soviet aircraft to be shot down before they could even reach US targets? As opposed to modern missiles out of nowhere?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dude was pretty hot tho

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

bessantj posted:

Does it matter? He was extrajudicially assassinated by Team America World Police, I frankly don't give a gently caress what he did, that's not OK, it's how wars start and oh look

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I love the English left, it's so cool and smart and aware

https://twitter.com/PerthshireMags/status/1214601112319352833?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Miftan posted:

Let's not sugar coat this though, dude was in charge AFAIK of Iran's intelligence? That means finding terrorist orgs at the very least. He was not a good dude by any metric but here's the thing: THAT DOESN'T MATTER. You can't assassinate people, even if they're terrorists, out of nowhere. You know why? Because the category of who is and isn't a terrorist is very subject to change based on whims.

important to note that this wasn't out of nowhere its highly likely the US deliberately lured him there under pretences of de-escalation with saudi arabia before droning him

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Anyone know how to change a Q to an N on a placard?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol emily thornberry

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1214863787326660609

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jose posted:

important to note that this wasn't out of nowhere its highly likely the US deliberately lured him there under pretences of de-escalation with saudi arabia before droning him

Out of nowhere as in he didn't orchestrate 9/11 last week, but I take your point

Coohoolin posted:

Can you elaborate? I'm not knowledgeable enough about scotpol to understand the reference.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they're turning on him already

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1214862160125403142?s=20

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

bessantj posted:

The NY Times Daily podcast did a good summary of him yesterday, tldr, he was seen as "the guy" to a lot of what we consider terrorist organisations. When his mother died a couple of years ago. The leaders of Hezbollah, ISIS and a couple of others all turned up to show their gratification towards him and pay respects, which is pretty odd according to the journalist who was reporting on this.

Doesnt excuse the US killing him, however, there is another school of thought out there that the US didnt realise he was in the convoy and they thought it was a high ranking army official.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jessflips failing to get the requisite number would be :discourse:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In one month the US managed to drone strike twice as many Afghan civilians as there were suspected to be remaining Taliban members in the country. The idea that 'terrorist' is some objective label you can slap on people and call it a day is really loving stupid.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Miftan posted:

Out of nowhere as in he didn't orchestrate 9/11 last week, but I take your point

bud are you saying Iran did 9/11

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The idea that 'terrorist' is some objective label you can slap on people

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

Didn't that start off as a deliberate pisstake of a Rangers flag, and it's now being used by Bernie supporters?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

The NY Times Daily podcast did a good summary of him yesterday, tldr, he was seen as "the guy" to a lot of what we consider terrorist organisations. When his mother died a couple of years ago. The leaders of Hezbollah, ISIS and a couple of others all turned up to show their gratification towards him and pay respects, which is pretty odd according to the journalist who was reporting on this.

Doesnt excuse the US killing him, however, there is another school of thought out there that the US didnt realise he was in the convoy and they thought it was a high ranking army official.

the new york times have been pushing war with iran for years so i wouldn't trust anything they say, particularly that ISIS leaders turned up to pay respects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
ISIS leaders turn up to pay respects at a Shia funeral, 2016