Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Xander77 posted:

I hope you at least remembered that tossing stuff at him / shooting him briefly interrupts his scripts and allows you to run past?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ubWxcj2FU

I didn't think to try that, I was singularly focused on not letting him engage with me so he'd keep following me as far as possible. I used a lot of the same tricks as that video though, using him as a blocker etc since once he engages with the enemy he ignores you until they're all dead. So much for the pacifism Paul.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is a Deus Ex achievment on the level of the guy who beat the game with TNT crates. I didn't think I'd see someone do something new with this 20 year old game, but there you have it.

Thanks but it's definitely nowhere near the same level as the people who beat the game in weird ways, this was just a one level challenge! :kiddo:

Now if the script continued until he delivered the message and there was a way to lead Paul through the whole game...

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jojoinnit posted:

Thanks but it's definitely nowhere near the same level as the people who beat the game in weird ways, this was just a one level challenge! :kiddo:

Now if the script continued until he delivered the message and there was a way to lead Paul through the whole game...

Nah, it’s a shorter thing but it involves a lot more opportunities for failure and you can’t plan nearly as much. It’s still pretty impressive.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

jojoinnit posted:

Get Paul to save Paul

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

jojoinnit posted:

There are certain bits and pieces though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cwiWhHwDTk

But of course, there are people who are willing to put a lot more effort into this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2YWH2XN83Q

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

He'll probably chastise you for your (actually his) bodycount because the game doesn't track who did the kills and just assumes it was you.
Nope. I had him kill a lot of guys and hacked the turrets to kill other people. Since I never shot someone he didn't chastise me.

Other things I found out on my nth playthrough:

Filben tells you Manderley wants Lebedev dead for years when you meet him again.

I think this must be the first time in the game, where you actually need something to get further ahead, money, lockpick or the password. Or is there a way to get into the station without anything? Is there a lockpick in the map? I know I did an item, augless run a while back until Area 51.

In Battery Station you can go upstairs and opposite the Rooks territory, there is a small room with some boxes. Well, you can go there, lockpick the map and behind it is a data cube with the code for the keypad in the bathroom sink. I never knew since there are more obvious ways to get a LAM and then the code.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Does anyone know any more chilled and non-shouty/YouTube-voice let's plays of Deus Ex? I'm having trouble sleeping lately and I've exhausted my usual vids (snooker, mainly)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

toiletbrush posted:

Does anyone know any more chilled and non-shouty/YouTube-voice let's plays of Deus Ex? I'm having trouble sleeping lately and I've exhausted my usual vids (snooker, mainly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTVBSxnwiCo

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

toiletbrush posted:

Goon Bobbin Threadbare's got a pretty chillaxed attitude for it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ITwTJXpOc

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Did these get posted before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-IPHrs414g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sty73gVmhDE

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The matrix one is incredible.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Goddamn some of that music in the John Wick one is making me incredibly nostalgic for that late 90s early 00s vintage futuristic feel

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Does anyone know off hand if it's possible to kill bots with bullets? My friend's been playing through blind and he tried to empty his assault rifle into one of the small ones to see what happens and he quickly ate poo poo for the attempt. I know explosives or EMPs are an easy way to kill them but could you whittle them down with more conventional weapons?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Glagha posted:

Does anyone know off hand if it's possible to kill bots with bullets? My friend's been playing through blind and he tried to empty his assault rifle into one of the small ones to see what happens and he quickly ate poo poo for the attempt. I know explosives or EMPs are an easy way to kill them but could you whittle them down with more conventional weapons?

I think the bullets either need to be AP, or a poo poo load of them. I can’t remember if that’s true or not though.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Glagha posted:

Yes. You can kill them with a knife or a baton if you can survive long enough to keep whacking away for full minutes. I watched Paul do it during my recent "Paul as my murder guy" run.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Sleeveless posted:

You can also do this by giving Gunther a knife instead of a pistol when you let him out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cenmlaW8qiU

You mean there were people who didn't give Gunther a knife?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think I figured that one out on my first playthrough. "I modded this! But what if I drop it...?"

Same thing with Van Bruggen in DXHR, just drop your gun and go pick up one of the thousands of generic ones before talking to him.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The true challenge is to collect enough fire extinguishers to Kill a tank bot by freeze damage from them.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I spent some time today looking up information on Deus Ex mods, and I have two questions:

1) I know that Biomod adds a lot of things to Shifter but, apart from the bonus experience from stealthy play, does it remove anything else?

B) I could swear that I saw somewhere, possibly in this thread, a mod or a cheat for the game that made everything take up exactly one square in inventory. Given that Shifter adds so many weapons, it would be nice to be able to carry them all around; does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

JustJeff88 posted:

I spent some time today looking up information on Deus Ex mods, and I have two questions:

1) I know that Biomod adds a lot of things to Shifter but, apart from the bonus experience from stealthy play, does it remove anything else?

B) I could swear that I saw somewhere, possibly in this thread, a mod or a cheat for the game that made everything take up exactly one square in inventory. Given that Shifter adds so many weapons, it would be nice to be able to carry them all around; does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Hi there, I'm the guy who made Biomod!

-Shifter makes some changes to the augs that are overriden by Biomod's versions of them
-In Shifter, cigarette smoke is derived from toxic gas clouds, and NPCs will respond to it as if you just fired a gun at them. Biomod tones this down to just making them cough

That's all I can think of offhand. Also, the removal of the XP bonuses is optional as of the latest version, and can be toggled back on using a console command.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Lork posted:

-Shifter makes some changes to the augs that are overriden by Biomod's versions of them
-In Shifter, cigarette smoke is derived from toxic gas clouds, and NPCs will respond to it as if you just fired a gun at them. Biomod tones this down to just making them cough

That's all I can think of offhand. Also, the removal of the XP bonuses is optional as of the latest version, and can be toggled back on using a console command.

Much obliged, Lork! :)

Could you (or anyone) tell me about the XP bonuses? I've heard two conflicting reports on those; one is that they encourage lethal play (per-kill bonus) and the other is that there is a lump XP reward at the end of levels that is greater based on better stealth; those seem contradictory.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lork posted:

thank you for your service

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

JustJeff88 posted:

Much obliged, Lork! :)

Could you (or anyone) tell me about the XP bonuses? I've heard two conflicting reports on those; one is that they encourage lethal play (per-kill bonus) and the other is that there is a lump XP reward at the end of levels that is greater based on better stealth; those seem contradictory.
It does both - you got XP from killing them or from sneaking by them based on some formula involving how close you got to them without being detected. If I remember right you could sometimes cheese it by getting the stealth bonus and then doubling back to kill them. Even if I'm remembering wrong (maybe I'm thinking of Human Revolution?), I don't like the idea of being graded based on how I solve any given problem and would prefer the game stick to rewarding you for exploration and completing objectives only.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lork posted:

I've been playing DX with Biomod for a very long time, your balance changes make Deus Ex the best 0451 game, as opposed to one of the best. Good work!

e: I do miss the exploding seagulls from Shifter though

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Lork posted:

You're a good man and I've been appreciative for a long time now, but is it possible to unnerf the Dragon Tooth sword so it goes back to doing 1x100 per hour instead of 5x20? Iirc that was grandfathered in from Shifter but it's the only thing that makes me want to play vanilla still.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Lork posted:

I don't like the idea of being graded based on how I solve any given problem and would prefer the game stick to rewarding you for exploration and completing objectives only.

THANK YOU.

Decades ago a friend of mine and I where talking about how nice it was to have xp handed out for exploration and plot advancement, rather than a cheerful +1 popup for killing people. It really left the morality of killing v stealth in a grey area to be decided by the player. He could never bring himself to hurt guard dogs, even nonlethally. Then, years later, I played a mod (probably an early shifter?) that gave xp popups for murdering people. I don't care if there was a net reward at the end for other playstyles, I was horrified at the instant positive feedback.

Incidentally, the prequels have taken that and ran with it to its awful conclusion and it shows.

edit:

jojoinnit posted:

You're a good man and I've been appreciative for a long time now, but is it possible to unnerf the Dragon Tooth sword so it goes back to doing 1x100 per hour instead of 5x20? Iirc that was grandfathered in from Shifter but it's the only thing that makes me want to play vanilla still.
To me the Tooth will always deal 30(?) dmg, patching DX up from 1.00 to find that the sword now one-shot everybody was kinda rude. It especially made all those points in melee and arm augs look dumb.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 8, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Serephina posted:

Incidentally, the prequels have taken that and ran with it to its awful conclusion and it shows.

At least they give more XP for non-lethal takedown. But then they reinforce the idea that stealth is plucking everyone on the head, just a different method of clearing the map. If you just evade everyone which is actually harder then you get the same Ghost award you'd get by dispensing brain concussions to everyone on the level.

I never knew how much we're missing because of this approach until I've tried Invisible Inc.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

Just put points in lockpicking (or use a GEP gun, or put points in rifles and use a sniper rifle).

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lork posted:

Took me by surprise a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaeUnFCSeQk

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ilitarist posted:

At least they give more XP for non-lethal takedown.

That's entirely the point of what they did wrong - giving more xp for one takedown style than another, xp rewards at objectives for certain playstyles, and achievements at game end for the same.

Run up to a guy and gun him down: 10pts.
Headshot from afar: 20ish?
Sword-blades to the face: 40.
Punch to the face: 50.
2x 200 at objectives for being stealthy and no alarms.
Two cheevos for Never Seen, Never killed.

Notice a trend? That's hardly free-form at all, you're being explicitly told one approach is better than the others and has better rewards. Its also got a bonus awfulness in pushing for quickload spam. Then compare it to OG DX; if someone spots you, you shoot them, go all "mea culpa!" and continue on. Avoiding enemies was a decision the player made to save ammo and health -or, god forbid- be nonlethal out of personal preference due to immersion.

...Five times as much xp for not using your guns. ffs.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

clop clop clop THWACK UGH clop clop THWACK UGH THWACK ARGH

-me playing pacifist

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 8, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Serephina posted:

That's entirely the point of what they did wrong - giving more xp for one takedown style than another, xp rewards at objectives for certain playstyles, and achievements at game end for the same.

...Five times as much xp for not using your guns. ffs.

Are, I've misunderstood you. Indeed, now that I think about it devs really want you to play in the most boring way possible: get all those people one by one without anyone noticing. You can use your super smash (in the future technology will become so advanced that you need to spend AAA battery to non-lethally kill people, at least before the invention of The Prod), electric pistol and I guess shocker augmentation?.. Plus some very situational things like wall smash. And the only useful active augmentation here would probably be invisibility.

When you go in guns blazing you have lots of weapons, deep customization options, crafting of mines from grenades, a lot of augmentations. Only gas grenades are useful if you want non-lethal but don't care about not being seen, I guess. And you can use weapons on all three robots that exist in the game. I haven't noticed most of this till I've replayed the game allowing myself to be more aggressive and embrace chaos, but even then most of the enemies I've engaged were easier to deal with non-lethally.

It's probably even worse than Dishonored. That game berated you for having fun but it rarely really punished you for going violent.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

My only real complaint with new deus ex was they offered you arm blades and there was never any good reason to use them.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It was great that DXHR gave you arm blades, then made melee kills loud and give less XP at the same time.

Do I a) run up to people, give them permanent brain damage but keep the stealth bonus and bonus XP for KOs or b) run up to people the exact same way, stick blades into their necks, alert everyone else around you, potentially get shot at, receive less XP.

:thunk:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I assumed he meant the augment in MD where you shoot blades at people. I never saw a reason to do it on any playthrough since it's expensive and slower than any of the guns I'm surrounded by constantly. Is it fun?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

No I'm definitely talking about the lethal melee takedowns which are pointless because they are strictly worse than just punching them.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm really glad I don't have the type of brain that makes me feel compelled to play a game in a way that I personally find less fun just because it gives me a slightly bigger number at one point. Y'all were probably the same people who spent hours hacking every computer and lock in Human Revolution because you couldn't allow the sweet sweet 10xp bonus to go unearned and then complained that the hacking was tedious and took too long.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm glad I don't have the kind of brain where I'm literally incapable of understanding why it's a bad thing for a game to present you with two choices and one of them is worse in every conceivable way. The melee kills seem to be there for a kind of "going loud" approach but if you're going loud the non-lethal is exactly as effective. If you're not going loud this
1: penalizes your xp,
2: is louder
3: kills someone for no good reason

It's like if a game gives you two guns and one of them is silenced. The other gun is not, costs money every time you fire it and kills the civilian closest to you.

Figure it the gently caress out.

Fake Edit: literally the only conceivable reason you would want to use the arm blades is if you really want this random dude dead rather than just unconscious. If you're that fuckin bloodthirsty you don't wanna leave any fuckin survivors then sure. But then you also could have just loving shot him if you weren't concerned about sparing lives. There's no scenario where using the alternative lethal takedown makes any sense.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 8, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
looks cool

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sleeveless posted:

Y'all were probably the same people who spent hours hacking every computer and lock in Human Revolution because you couldn't allow the sweet sweet 10xp bonus to go unearned and then complained that the hacking was tedious and took too long.
I hacked every computer and thought HR had the only fun and challenging hacking minigame in existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I still wish that they would fix how the tranq crossbow works. It's funny, but not very tranquil.