Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Elysium posted:

projects, landmarks, and events). I consider them such a core part of the game now it feels ridiculously vanilla to play without them. I

These cards are so good. Really helps spice up the game. I actually only own Renaissance and have Empires on the way. Debating whether I should bother with Adventures (the various little tokens seem a bit fiddly).

sirtommygunn posted:

Never heard of it, but I'll look into it now.
It was the 2013 Kennerspiel des Jahres!

Llyranor fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

rchandra posted:

In addition to being limited by player count, the 1x employees are limited to 1 per player.

Whoops! Thanks. I would've had to settle for a Radio + planes, instead of just radio hegemony.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Man that RPG news sucks because I was just getting into their Star Wars stuff with online resources and I was hoping to buy some of the rulebook later when I have money and/or face to face players

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

StashAugustine posted:

Man that RPG news sucks because I was just getting into their Star Wars stuff with online resources and I was hoping to buy some of the rulebook later when I have money and/or face to face players

I have a ton of all three of their lines (Edge of Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny) that I'd likely be willing to bundle and sell you if later comes sooner than expected.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The tile redesigns in these new 18xx games are so bad

Yellow track with black outline on a white tile?! And don’t even get me started on the parallax

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is that a winterized track or are they converting it to a rail trail or something?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Is that a winterized track or are they converting it to a rail trail or something?

The car leaked its corn cargo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It's corn

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
woods corn

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Memnaelar posted:

I have a ton of all three of their lines (Edge of Empire, Age of Rebellion, and Force and Destiny) that I'd likely be willing to bundle and sell you if later comes sooner than expected.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind if needed. thanks!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

well you are the authority on this

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

canyoneer posted:

woods corn

I though it was a myth

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

well you are the authority on this

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BTW the player menu in Ketchup kinda sucks. It has an employee tree of just the new stuff and the old stuff it branches from, but not a full tree. It's also missing the round structure so this one from BGG is a complete tree and has the round structure on it so players don't have to fumble with two awkward menus. Also here's a complete new milestones + module milestones aid I combined for 5x7 laminates.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/192882/all-career-paths-round-reference

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Nocturne is maybe my favorite Dominion expansion ever and I thought Renaissance was top notch as well. Keep em coming.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some Ketchup pics. Lobbyist and apartments are probably going to be 100% inclusions along with the milestones.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Some Ketchup pics. Lobbyist and apartments are probably going to be 100% inclusions along with the milestones.

I kind of never want to learn FCM because there's something really magical when you look at shots of a game and you literally can't parse anything about the gamestate at all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

hoiyes posted:

I kind of never want to learn FCM because there's something really magical when you look at shots of a game and you literally can't parse anything about the gamestate at all.

It's even better if you interpret everything as a dudes on a map wargame

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

hoiyes posted:

Boy do I have some pictures for you!

You might know Bus

Next two are linked

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

As an aside, Greed Incorporated is the newest splotter I have fallen in love with after one singular play and if anyone has a copy to sell/trade or knows someone who would let one go, hit me up please!

It is really the holy combo of an 18xx shady money movement and company building, and John Company negotiation, nepotism, and company failure, and all wrappped up in a neat package that pokes fun at the modern rich and how awful the financial crisis was

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Really enjoying the category of goods: Blah blah.

Yeah, I also love 18XXs for the same reason, and also like reading the strategies and getting those real Mornington Crescent vibes, knowing I wouldn't enjoy anything beyond Stephenson's Rocket in that category.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I fuckign love dragging out an 18xx in a public board game cafe, especially on MTG night, because all of the light game regulars come by all like :eyepoop:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That greed Inc tracker looks so much like the A.S.T.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My wife decided to try out one of the local stores doing a medium/medium-heavy board game night and had a pretty bad experience. They advertised being an open group bringing in new members, but it looked like everybody was there to just play with their own particular clique. There was an overflow group that she wound up with that decided to play 7 Wonders.

She had not played it before--and neither have I--and asked for an explanation. There was another couple involved that had played 7 Wonders Duel. This guy then goes on to explain to them the differences between it and 7 Wonders before just explaining certain very minute aspects of the game without any kind of overview. She didn't have any idea of what the scoring criteria even were. Gameplay-wise, we have Among the Stars since we chose some time ago to get that instead of 7 Wonders based on a hunch, so she understood the mechanics and basics theory of drafting game strategy.

She tried to place the same tile twice. The lady next to her looked at her with wide eyes and flared nostrils like she had just killed a kitten in a church. I guess you're not allowed to place the same tile twice. She didn't know, but the host just said, "I told you that you couldn't do that!" and they got kind of pissy about the whole thing. So the dude across from her just watched her play area the rest of the game like a hawk. She ultimately tied for second without having even known what the final scoring was supposed to be like.

The couple that had played 7 Wonders Duel before left afterwards and when the guy that explained 7 Wonders came back inside with Agricola she nope'd the gently caress out. On the other hand, we now have a nice meme of screaming "YOU CAN'T DO THAT" while pointing at each other in horror when making a mistake playing an unfamiliar game.

Edit: LOL I kept typing "7 Windows."

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 8, 2020

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Fellis posted:

As an aside, Greed Incorporated is the newest splotter I have fallen in love with after one singular play and if anyone has a copy to sell/trade or knows someone who would let one go, hit me up please!

It is really the holy combo of an 18xx shady money movement and company building, and John Company negotiation, nepotism, and company failure, and all wrappped up in a neat package that pokes fun at the modern rich and how awful the financial crisis was

Do you reckon it will get reprinted? It seems perfect for a reprint.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My wife decided to try out one of the local stores doing a medium/medium-heavy board game night and had a pretty bad experience. They advertised being an open group bringing in new members, but it looked like everybody was there to just play with their own particular clique. There was an overflow group that she wound up with that decided to play 7 Wonders.

She had not played it before--and neither have I--and asked for an explanation. There was another couple involved that had played 7 Windows Duel. This guy then goes on to explain to them the differences between it and 7 Windows before just explaining certain very minute aspects of the game without any kind of overview. She didn't have any idea of what the scoring criteria even were. Gameplay-wise, we have Among the Stars since we chose some time ago to get that instead of 7 Wonders based on a hunch, so she understood the mechanics and basics theory of drafting game strategy.

She tried to place the same tile twice. The lady next to her looked at her with wide eyes and flared nostrils like she had just killed a kitten in a church. I guess you're not allowed to place the same tile twice. She didn't know, but the host just said, "I told you that you couldn't do that!" and they got kind of pissy about the whole thing. So the dude across from her just watched her play area the rest of the game like a hawk. She ultimately tied for second without having even known what the final scoring was supposed to be like.

The couple that had played 7 Windows Duel before left afterwards and when the guy that explained 7 Windows came back inside with Agricola she nope'd the gently caress out. On the other hand, we now have a nice meme of screaming "YOU CAN'T DO THAT" while pointing at each other in horror when making a mistake playing an unfamiliar game.

Board gamers, and especially ones that play at game stores (Because no one will invite them to their houses), are garbage people and you should not associate with them.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Board gamers, and especially ones that play at game stores (Because no one will invite them to their houses), are garbage people and you should not associate with them.
get out of this thread you garbage person

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 8, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My wife decided to try out one of the local stores doing a medium/medium-heavy board game night and had a pretty bad experience. They advertised being an open group bringing in new members, but it looked like everybody was there to just play with their own particular clique. There was an overflow group that she wound up with

Sounds about right, almost similar to my experience. But replace playing with their own cliques with playing Magic the Gathering. We even paid £3 each to get in, expecting a proper board game night to meet people, cause that's what was advertised. Staff members were kinda rude after they'd taken our money and just kept saying to go downstairs to a basement area. Ended up playing with the only table that was actually doing board games and it was painful, especially the beginning when we grabbed an empty table and were excitedly waiting for people to come downstairs, only to get angry deathstares from MtG players cause we were sitting in the competition section without realising.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, I can't be bothered playing with strangers. I just bribe my friends with food

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Llyranor posted:

Yeah, I can't be bothered playing with strangers. I just bribe my friends with food

Same but tea and coffee.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
So far, I've been successful at having a monthly board game night. I keep a regular time and place so people can plan, and then I spam a dozen emails with an invitation letting them know the game, and how many seats there will be. Then the first to RSVP via email get the seats. I make sure there is a YouTube rules video in the invitation as well.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Haha sucks you nerds don't have anyone to play board games with.

*goes back to playing Great Battles of Alexander against his opponent, a stuffed lion named Philotas*

Your move, Phil! Ah, you can't use your hands, that's okay I'll play your side for you!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's funny: this topic is part of SVWAG's episode for this week. I haven't been able to attend our LGS's board game night recently but we were always welcoming to new people. Mostly because the time constraint meant it was lighter games anyway - I save my heavier games for Friday night instead, which replaced FNM. As for Friday night, it's funny but I hadn't realized my group has become more exclusionary by default because not only did we play mostly mid-heavy games, we started scheduling games ahead of time so we know who's available and what is to be played. We will still have more "open" nights when we'll just play with whomever, but that's usually when we brought a bunch of midweight euros and are in the mood to play the latest generic euro. The exclusion might be a problem in a smaller group except that the meetup is large enough that anyone new can play anything with anyone and I have taught 1830 and Indonesia to people who brought a bag containing CAH and Munchkin and "heard about the board game night" but were intrigued by the stocks and maps.

Our group has thought about moving our Friday night games back to someone's place but we're far enough from each other that the meetup is conveniently centrally located anyway.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pierzak posted:

get out of this thread you garbage person

Never!

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't know anyone else who was into board games, but thanks to my FLGS I was able to meet several other gamers, and eventually formed a group of guys who were willing to dive into Gloomhaven with me. Cut to almost 2 years later, I'm still friends with them and we play steam games online several nights a week, and meet up for game nights at least once a week. One of them has his own house (with no spouse or kids) and we're converting an empty upstairs room into a gaming room and it's been awesome. We don't go to the store nearly as often but I still try to get in there once or twice a month just to check in and say hi to some of the nicer folks who aren't part of our little crew.

Just sayin, FLGSs that have game nights are a great way to meet people. But yeah, you may have to endure some of the more... difficult personalities there before you end up meeting people who jive on your same level.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Turning non board gaming friends into board gaming friends seems to be a lot harder than finding board gamers and then making friends with them. Honestly if you go to an FLGS that is supposed to be new person friendly and the staff doesn't seem to help, ask to speak to the owner. They'll many times be receptive to the issue and work with the staff to make things better for new people.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Bottom Liner posted:

BTW the player menu in Ketchup kinda sucks. It has an employee tree of just the new stuff and the old stuff it branches from, but not a full tree. It's also missing the round structure so this one from BGG is a complete tree and has the round structure on it so players don't have to fumble with two awkward menus. Also here's a complete new milestones + module milestones aid I combined for 5x7 laminates.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/192882/all-career-paths-round-reference

Thank you for this! My copy of ketchup is on its way to me and I was waiting to see how they looked in the box vs ones folks had online. Im gonna try to get your milestones printed and laminated before it shows up

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Do you reckon it will get reprinted? It seems perfect for a reprint.

No idea! I was joking while playing that I will finally get a copy and they will announce the reprint because I have had bad luck for reprints lately (but more on the selling side, when they crater historically high prices)

I have messaged trade requests to some people on BGG, but honestly it doesn’t seem hard to PNP a copy by myself instead of paying $200+ for a bunch of cards

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Chubbs posted:

Just sayin, FLGSs that have game nights are a great way to meet people. But yeah, you may have to endure some of the more... difficult personalities there before you end up meeting people who jive on your same level.

My wife and I have found that the more female friendly a place is the less likely it is to suck. Our local place has feminine products in the (very clean) bathrooms and you see women there for DnD and boardgame nights. Never had a bad experience with customers or staff through years of netrunner and board games. Contrast it to a store we wanted to go to when living out of state: we walked in and saw one of those febreeze diffusers on every single card table and noped the gently caress outta there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Is the 2e of Betrayal at the House on the Hill any less of a burning dumpster than the first?

I got my family addicted yo board games but they’re not really in the know, and they gave me it for Christmas and are badgering me to play it and I’m super leery. I remember the rules not even functioning at all and having to basically do DM by consensus to even complete scenarios.