Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's what gave it away? Not the copy-pasted pixel-for-pixel identical siding and supporting timbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
let's talk a little bit about ion implant and how electrostatics work and how they both like and hate each other

-in order to accelerate a particle you have to run it through an electric field
- since fab space is expensive, the optimal implanter is infinitely small, which means that your field is infinitely big
-in general, electric fields break down in air somewhere between like 50 kV and 75kV per inch and something like 30 kV/in along a surface

so, we have a problem! you can't go much beyond this or you'll just create loving lightning when the electric field breaks down, but you can't go less than this or the machine will be too big

what's an engineer to do?

if you thought, "gently caress it, just let the lightning happen and deal with it", you're right, that's exactly what they do!

the only downside to this, other than creating actual loving lightning, is that if you let too much lightning happen you'll actually blow up insulators and resistors and tranZorbs and other poo poo, so what does the reliability engineer do?

why, they set the system up and monitor how often it arcs and creates lightning by measuring the number of light flashes and thunderclaps per hour over a year or so!

this system was about a meter away from the system on which i worked on right out of college... on the high voltage system... while having a gigantic loving lightning strike behind me arcing audibly every couple minutes or so

it doesn't matter how many times you've checked your lockout tagout, when you have your hands in an acceleration lens and you hear a thundercrack, you loving jump every goddamned time

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jabor posted:

Not the copy-pasted pixel-for-pixel identical siding and supporting timbers?

Maybe that's just superior craftsmanship

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Give us a trip report on the lot lizards while you're there.

Please: do not.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PainterofCrap posted:

Please: do not.

Unless there are, in fact, literal lizards like the monitor lizard from that video posted earlier.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Tim Thomas posted:

someone told me to cross-post this from the PYF chemistry thread since some of this is way more osha.gif

A solid post, but some simplification for those phoneposting and don't have two minutes to decipher while on the crapper might be useful; industry verbiage is cool, but not without context:

quote:

how John made a really expensive steam-based pipe bomb

quote:

"Did you flush the gases that will kill me?"
"Yes"
Narrator: He did not flush the gases that will kill him

quote:

Inner chamber pressurized with .5 atmospheres of helium, outer chamber a vacuum, but lo and behold, someone hosed the numbers for the inner chamber because the bolts weren't up to the intended safety factor. Think: towing 1 ton with a half-ton rated line

quote:

Professional science experiment: turning a specific grease into glue!

quote:

"a 200 liter fishbowl of some horrible stew"

quote:

of COURSE we can run dedicated high pressure arsine, boron trifluoride, germane terrafluoride, silane, and phosphine to the machines!

In the same purged lines!

In a seismic area!

Stay safe, gasgoon

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tim Thomas posted:

let's talk a little bit about ion implant and how electrostatics work and how they both like and hate each other

-in order to accelerate a particle you have to run it through an electric field
- since fab space is expensive, the optimal implanter is infinitely small, which means that your field is infinitely big
-in general, electric fields break down in air somewhere between like 50 kV and 75kV per inch and something like 30 kV/in along a surface

Wait, you ion implant in air? Doesn't the air get in the way of the ions you're implanting? I thought you did all that poo poo in vacuum.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Mistle posted:

A solid post, but some simplification for those phoneposting and don't have two minutes to decipher while on the crapper might be useful; industry verbiage is cool, but not without context:

Stay safe, gasgoon

terrific tl;dr, but the first one wasn't a steam bomb, it was just a hydrogen explosive

Phanatic posted:

Wait, you ion implant in air? Doesn't the air get in the way of the ions you're implanting? I thought you did all that poo poo in vacuum.

true, you do! but in almost all cases you have terminals with air exposure that arc over; i'm leaving out in-vacuum arcing because it's totally A Thing but doesn't have nearly the osha-ness

the only thing you ion implant in air is cancer, which was my last job

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Tim Thomas posted:

it doesn't matter how many times you've checked your lockout tagout, when you have your hands in an acceleration lens and you hear a thundercrack, you loving jump every goddamned time

Aren't you are also somewhat irradiated due to lighting creating x and gamma ray? maybe it's a bit different on a smaller scale that's possibly somewhat shielded.

Also I'm very glad the place I'm at actually has a good health and safety people where we literally have to write out what sort of gas mix we are trying to use to grow certain organism, list all the hazard mitigation we can possibly and have it signed off before setting things up. For example, even though hydrogen is highly flammable, but since we are doing 80 percent H2 and 20 percent CO2, the mixed gas is actually outside the combustible range and are safer to use.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

coke posted:

Aren't you are also somewhat irradiated due to lighting creating x and gamma ray? maybe it's a bit different on a smaller scale that's possibly somewhat shielded.

you aren't wrong but the x-ray exposure is so minimal it's outweighed by being outside for a couple minutes

quote:

Also I'm very glad the place I'm at actually has a good health and safety people where we literally have to write out what sort of gas mix we are trying to use to grow certain organism, list all the hazard mitigation we can possibly and have it signed off before setting things up. For example, even though hydrogen is highly flammable, but since we are doing 80 percent H2 and 20 percent CO2, the mixed gas is actually outside the combustible range and are safer to use.

i say this as a guy who is presently running a 100% hydrogen mixture in my plasma reactor as we speak

are you 100% sure that you never mix that back with O2 in any single mode failure or double mode failure

are you willing to bet your life on it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tim Thomas posted:

you aren't wrong but the x-ray exposure is so minimal it's outweighed by being outside for a couple minutes

What about the ozone exposure?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Whitens teeth and freshens breath.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
when i say lightning, this particular terminal was riding at 400kV, and i think the capacitance was something on the order of a couple hundred nF; let's assume total breakdown

1/2 c v^2 = .5 x 200 E-9 x 4E5 x 4E5 = .5 x 200 x 4 x 4 x E-9 x E10 = 100 x 16 x E1 = 16kJ

that's a lot of energy to release in one short go, but also isn't a whole lot of energy at the end of the day, so the ozone production was basically nonexistent

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Tim Thomas posted:

i say this as a guy who is presently running a 100% hydrogen mixture in my plasma reactor as we speak

are you 100% sure that you never mix that back with O2 in any single mode failure or double mode failure

Nooooooo :ohdear:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Tim Thomas posted:

Pretty glad that my own semiconductor career arc path went photo --> integration --> gtfo.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

That's what gave it away? Not the copy-pasted pixel-for-pixel identical siding and supporting timbers?
For me it was the MC Escher inspired design of structural supports.

Tim Thomas
Are you sure you and your fellow workers do not have an undiagnosed death wish with these designs and conditions?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/fpfxS3u.mp4

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Butter his ears and he'll slide right out.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Tim Thomas posted:

OSHA: the first one wasn't a steam bomb, it was just a hydrogen explosive

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/8FvvDTD.gifv

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
OSHA thread, I have a question. Let's say there's a hill, 200 yards wide by 300 yards long. The middle rises to a 60' mound, we can assume a uniform shape, roughly triangular pyramidal in design. How long would it take an average construction team with modern equipment to excavate that area, to a depth of 60'?

Edit- For context, there's 5,400,000 ft of earth to be excavated down to ground level, then an additional 32,400,000 below that. Ground condition is sloped and marshy, with a series of large stones on the top of the hill and around one edge of the field.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 8, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Making a lake?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
yyyyyyyessss, a. . . lake. for my. . . geese.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
so, okay, there's one perhaps small detail which should be mentioned. in addition to the ground conditions being soggy, there's a slight chance that underneath the mound there's a, what do you call it, tomb. slight chance of tomb. i don't know what the digsafe code for that is, but let's just imagine this is an area with no labor laws nor conservation of antiquities. maybe these crews are even paid extra to gently caress up the tomb, just for spite. maybe.

so at least some of those sq ft of space will be occupied by "tomb" rather than "wet dirt." however that impacts calculations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
and, before you ask? it's a normal tomb. nothing creepy or bad or horror related about it at all. just a nice, safe, normal tomb, without any wandering monsters at all.

edit- yup just tryin to get some quotes for remodeling my summer vacation tomb that's all. no reason to investigate this much at all.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Average WHAT construction team? Roadwork? Pole installers? Bagger 488 operation team?

This is a "the wheels of the plane turn at the same speed as the treadmill" undefined question problem. Not enough info.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Queen Combat posted:

Average WHAT construction team? Roadwork? Pole installers? Bagger 488 operation team?

This is a "the wheels of the plane turn at the same speed as the treadmill" undefined question problem. Not enough info.

excavation team. lookin for a bunch of burly worker types to dig out then shore up my back walls.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

excavation team. lookin for a bunch of burly worker types to dig out then shore up my back walls.

Like Tomb Raider excavation team or "blow up the mountain it's 1959 and we're building highways" excavation team?

Basically what's your budget

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

lookin for a bunch of burly worker types to dig out then shore up my back walls.

This is almost the exact wording used in my last grindr profile.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

and, before you ask? it's a normal tomb. nothing creepy or bad or horror related about it at all. just a nice, safe, normal tomb, without any wandering monsters at all.

edit- yup just tryin to get some quotes for remodeling my summer vacation tomb that's all. no reason to investigate this much at all.

Depending on where you live there are laws about disturbing burial places. If there's any chance that it's historically significant, you'll want a team of archeologists to look it over as well.

Do everything on the up-and-up with legitimate contractors and they should be able to walk you through the proper practices.

Don't be an rear end in a top hat about it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

You say tomb, but what are the odds of, say, a dungeon? Any chance of a dragon?

Are we talking modern excavation techniques or maybe something more like, oh, faux-medieval fantasy tech? Is your crew going to be using picks and shovels? This could take months or years if so, depending on the size of your crew.

Do you have access to anything like Stone to Mud or Earthshape or similar?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

It's not uncommon for excavators to find unmarked graves- you just need to know that if the police/city are called your project will be put on hold for a long time.

Depending on the crew you work with they will usually make it go away before involving the authorities, but be prepared to grease the wheels if you have to- pay in cash if possible.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think the tomb he is talking about is a fairly marked grave.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The reason I know this is that our house marker is a recycled gravestone from the 1930s- when we were building the town inspector saw it and mentioned the amount of graves in the area that he's seen get churned up during construction projects, and the complications of involving certain authorities vs just reburying somewhere else.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
If your tomb just happened to have a Sphere of Annihilation near the mouth, a bulldozer could get a shitload of work done.

Just don't tell OSHA, the safety regs on SoA's are just the worst

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Evilreaver posted:

If your tomb just happened to have a Sphere of Annihilation near the mouth, a bulldozer could get a shitload of work done.

Just need a couple cones and some hazard tape, really.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It's not uncommon for excavators to find unmarked graves- you just need to know that if the police/city are called your project will be put on hold for a long time.

Depending on the crew you work with they will usually make it go away before involving the authorities, but be prepared to grease the wheels if you have to- pay in cash if possible.

Deteriorata posted:

Depending on where you live there are laws about disturbing burial places. If there's any chance that it's historically significant, you'll want a team of archeologists to look it over as well.

Do everything on the up-and-up with legitimate contractors and they should be able to walk you through the proper practices.

Don't be an rear end in a top hat about it.

Thank you both for your concern, but I promise both of you that any bodies discovered here are unmissed and under NO jurisdiction, either Man or G-d. This is not a place of honor. Nothing of value is buried here.

Bad Munki posted:

You say tomb, but what are the odds of, say, a dungeon? Any chance of a dragon?

Are we talking modern excavation techniques or maybe something more like, oh, faux-medieval fantasy tech? Is your crew going to be using picks and shovels? This could take months or years if so, depending on the size of your crew.

Do you have access to anything like Stone to Mud or Earthshape or similar?

Dungeon? No, this is a tomb, that means it falls under Tomb Raider Union rules, local 36DD. Also, zero chance of a dragon. Minor possibility of lich infestation. Very minor. Nothing to worry about.

The technology available to the crew is whatever modern technology we've got. No spells, outside of what is encountered in the process of disassembling the place.

Queen Combat posted:

Like Tomb Raider excavation team or "blow up the mountain it's 1959 and we're building highways" excavation team?
Basically what's your budget

the second one and basically an unlimited number of electum pieces.

Evilreaver posted:

That's, hm, let me check my notes. (shuffle shuffle) Yes, there does seem to be a disk approx 3' in diameter which destroys all physical matter it comes into contact with. Is that a hazard? Should we mark that off with cones?

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
I worked as an archaeologist for about a year and if there's a know burial on the site it won't be excavated. In the US at least. Pre excavation, if it's not known, but there's a chance there's a high probability of a burial due to proximity to other significant sites/burials, there will be an intense survey done. If there's been no survey, or previous surveys haven't proven there to be anything significant in the area, there will still be a survey done but at a broader scope.

For a strange, pyramid shaped mound or earthwork that is untouched, you sure as poo poo won't be digging your giant hole for years, because I promise you that archaeological survey will take years to complete, and then years to study and publish.

Also if you want to do the math, I could dig a 1m x 50cm x 50cm hole in about 10 minutes in my prime. Apply that to your total volume of dirt and that's about how long it would take me to do by hand.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Phiz shouldn't have bought a house sitting on top of the WIPP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

thomawesome posted:

Also if you want to do the math, I could dig a 1m x 50cm x 50cm hole in about 10 minutes in my prime. Apply that to your total volume of dirt and that's about how long it would take me to do by hand.

Yeah, but it's weird how you only dig in 50x50 cm increments. Like, just dig the whole thing dude, it doesn't have to be made up of perfect squares.