Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Patrick Spens posted:

I can usually parse most hot takes, but this...are they complaining she's not equally upset about the animal cost of war?

honestly I have no loving idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Patrick Spens posted:

I can usually parse most hot takes, but this...are they complaining she's not equally upset about the animal cost of war?

Liz Bruenig gets a lot of flak for being a leftist that's also pro-life

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

Liz Bruenig gets a lot of flak for being a leftist that's also pro-life

Is she pro-life.only for her own body (for lack of a better term) or does she think abortion should be banned?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cool dance moves posted:

Is she pro-life.only for her own body (for lack of a better term) or does she think abortion should be banned?

It's my understanding that she's pro-life in the sense that she personally would never have an abortion, but she doesn't project that onto her politics.

I suppose that that's not good enough for some people, hence those kinds of replies to her.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Ah ok. I think I get thr hot take now. The person replying to bruenig thinks caring about himan life is not The Right Reasin to oppose war with iran. Dunning what they think is the proper reason.

So it's sort of like a fedora atheist walking up to a religious group doing charity work and lecturing them that god doesnt exist

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1214835633534849024?s=19

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i watched like half of brazil (1985) and it sucked

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

watch 12 monkeys

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I'm glad this turd can't get any workers to lord over and I hope their business falls apart

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Brazil has better politics than its director, which isn't unusual.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's my understanding that she's pro-life in the sense that she personally would never have an abortion, but she doesn't project that onto her politics.

I suppose that that's not good enough for some people, hence those kinds of replies to her.

Bruenig is more weirdly Catholic than that, there's a reason she's frequently in this very thread e.g. "ideally the drinking age should be 25, military service should still be 18"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I think this dude means well despite having a number of lovely takes but good lord this is like a caricature of PMC liberal activist-y rhetoric

https://twitter.com/samswey/status/1214732962001911808
https://twitter.com/samswey/status/1214734784934498304
https://twitter.com/samswey/status/1214740128444354561

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

that's what he is left to fall back on in the absence of a materialist analysis

kind of tragic, really

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1214928634013736965?s=19

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Mr. Lobe posted:

that's what he is left to fall back on in the absence of a materialist analysis

kind of tragic, really

relatedly, this was his rationale for supporting Warren over Bernie

https://twitter.com/samswey/status/1178801118002008064

sometimes us leftists overuse "PMC" as a pejorative, but I dunno what else to call this, there is no way anyone who isn't incredibly deep in a thought bubble of PMC nonprofit liberalism would think this isn't completely laughable as a theory of change

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

that thread is nothing but hardcore Hillary stans and trump supporters/conspiracy nuts. it’s probably a gold mine if you can sift through some of it. someone quote tweeted horse idiot in there, so it’s bound to attract some regulars.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Is "PMC" a reference to "politico-media complex"? That's the only thing I found that makes sense

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

FFT posted:

Is "PMC" a reference to "politico-media complex"? That's the only thing I found that makes sense
Makes more sense than private military contractor, though I appreciate that I'm not sure I've ever heard a term that's apparently overused.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FFT posted:

Professional / Managerial Class

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Makes more sense than private military contractor, though I appreciate that I'm not sure I've ever heard a term that's apparently overused.

I was getting very confused by this

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jose posted:

I was getting very confused by this

This is the second time I've seen the acronym used this way, AND the second time the discussion was more about how overused and ineffective the term was than anything else.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Tulip posted:

there's a reason she's frequently in this very thread

and there's a reason why 99% of the time the reply to those posts is "the hot takes are coming from inside the thread"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Professional / Managerial Class

I understand where this comes from, but every single member of the professional half of that is staged to become regular rear end working class and it pisses me off that they don't realize it.

Hiring and firing power will always be petits, but "programmer" is gonna be the same as "clerk" real soon now

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The whole point is to make them feel separate from the lower tier of workers, and the myth of meritocracy tells them to just work harder if their industry starts getting squeezed.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Warren has got the sapiosexual demographic on lockdown.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

I understand where this comes from, but every single member of the professional half of that is staged to become regular rear end working class and it pisses me off that they don't realize it.

Hiring and firing power will always be petits, but "programmer" is gonna be the same as "clerk" real soon now

Well yeah the professional class is basically a construct of the capitalists to create a small group of people who are just barely paid highly enough to end up throwing in their political lot in with the rich in order to legitimate oligarchical rule in what are ostensibly democratic republics, when the reality is that as long as you're a wage worker, you're still a worker, even if you're well paid at the moment

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

YaketySass posted:

Warren has got the sapiosexual demographic on lockdown.
no, that's Klobb who has her exes on lockdown

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

ikanreed posted:

Agreed. Imo pmcs at this point aren't a category of professions as much as a layer of people ready to act as the mediating force between the two warring sides of the class conflict. So it depends on the existence of those two sides for its own existence, but also if you are in a pmc profession and not willing to play ball, you end up in the dustbin of capitalism.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Just say "white collar workers" that's what you mean anyway

Rolling up everyone that works in an office into the "boss" class is dumb as hell

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i've only ever heard it used in the context of lanyards and silicon valley ivory tower types who think that everyone who doesn't go to their networking mixers is basically cattle, not as an actual description of a line of work

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://twitter.com/LLW902/status/1215048906104606720/photo/1

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

hahaha holy poo poo

gotta love using intersectionality to create a hierarchy so I can tell non-white people to gently caress off

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i've only ever heard it used in the context of lanyards and silicon valley ivory tower types who think that everyone who doesn't go to their networking mixers is basically cattle, not as an actual description of a line of work

Probably the best way to define the term in a useful way (though this is overly verbose for common usage, thus the popularity of "PMC") is to define it as "the set of jobs that are both very well compensated and involve being surrounded by people from similar socioeconomic backgrounds." So jobs that tend to be populated by people who followed educational/professional pipelines that result in them spending their lives surrounded by people from similar backgrounds and isolated from less well-off working class people. So you end up with not only the material privilege being an important factor, but also people attaching a very high value to credentials and adopting cultural norms that are probably more similar to those of the wealthy than those of the rest of the working class (honestly that latter thing might be the most important).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Just say "white collar workers" that's what you mean anyway

Rolling up everyone that works in an office into the "boss" class is dumb as hell

The distinction matters because of the specific forms of false consciousness that make them willing slaves of capital. If they refuse to see the truth, they can hang with the bosses.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/logo_daedalus/status/1214653003552165889?s=21

holy loving lol

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/aimeeterese/status/1215066391935512576?s=21

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/Giza_Butler/status/1215088646287699968

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

approaching a New York Sicilian to tell him from a distance I thought he was black

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol she's Aussie so there is a 100% chance she's racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aimee is addicted to being a pathological contrarian

She doesn’t actually believe in anything and they’re incredibly easy to just ignore