Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I want to go back six pages into the slapfight and say that I really, really like the idea someone had of starting with a total party wipe, introducing new characters loosely connected to the first and starting a story like that.

It's great, though it can be hard to execute. If people make their own characters, they might get pissy. Pre-gens can help, though that can send a strong "don't get invested in these dudes" vibe. If you can manage that ("hey guys, some people are still making characters, so I'm gonna run a one-shot with these pre-gens" could work), then it can be fun.

You can get similar results of working with a player to get their PC terribly murdered. Pull the best roleplayer aside, get a nice pc made, and then hit'm with an entire brick wall. Then they can show up with their real character later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Basically I want to play half an hour of D&D: Alien followed by months of D&D: Aliens.
Um I think we have clearly established that you can't play horror in D&D for any reason ever. Although we could start 12 pages of arguing that Alien was not horror I guess

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Syrinxx posted:

Um I think we have clearly established that you can't play horror in D&D for any reason ever. Although we could start 12 pages of arguing that Alien was not horror I guess

Alien is horror, Aliens is not, Alien 3 is a dumpster fire.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Alien, Aliens, and Predator are the only good movies in that franchise, I don’t think that’s a particularly hot take.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I want to go back six pages into the slapfight and say that I really, really like the idea someone had of starting with a total party wipe, introducing new characters loosely connected to the first and starting a story like that. It's a neat way to set up the stakes, gives out motivation in the form of fear and revenge and lets people power game to their hearts content because holy poo poo that thing is still out there and you just know it's coming back.

Basically I want to play half an hour of D&D: Alien followed by months of D&D: Aliens.

I feel like the original Temple of Elemental Evil had this exact set up.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
There's an awful lot of discussion about running horror in D&D but what I want to know is what system is the best to run a Great British Bake-off style cooking competition in?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I use Strike for my World of Ruin Catering Company game. Nephzinho uses PbtA if I remember right. One of my next few adventures is going to be a Chopped episode, actually.

in the final round, the ingredient basket is a mimic

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 8, 2020

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

I use Strike for my World of Ruin Catering Company game. Nephzinho uses PbtA if I remember right. One of my next few adventures is going to be a Chopped episode, actually.

in the final round, the ingredient basket is a mimic

I use a homebrew heavy 5E for mine. My Chopped/Cutthroat Kitchen episode is probably way off still. We were just on break for the holidays for like 6 weeks and are sitting back down tonight.

The actual cooking "minigame" basically boils down to 1-5 = essentially food poisoning, 6-10 = you botched it, 11-15 came out fine, 16-20 = came out great, 21+ = amazing (with additional "tiers" in there if its a competition). Getting better ingredients or rare spices might give you + modifiers while using rotten meat or suffering a curse or whatever might give you - modifiers. There might be a few different rolls by different players based on their job (i.e. for Bulette Wellington there was a carving roll for the garde manger, a puff pastry roll for the pastry chef, etc) that lead up into one final roll by the NPC head chef. They currently have +1 kitchen equipment, though they also have a few special tools that allow them to roll 3d6 instead of 1d20 for relevant checks on the occasion that they want to be sure they don't gently caress it up at the expense of not hitting it out of the park.

Those are the bones at least, things get mixed up for pretty much every dish. So far they had a straight up "make a dish for your first critic" bit, make chili for a festival, exorcise a haunted mansion by finishing an unfinished meal, and prepare a cruise dinner after saving a small fishing town from sea hags that they were driven towards by raiders and took on passengers to pay for repairs without having anything to feed them.

e; Just looked, we started this campaign in March and just finished the first act the week before Thanksgiving. Entering the sandbox now where they have a brick and mortar restaurant to improve.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 8, 2020

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I use the book of erotic fantasies for any cooking plotline, no matter what system we're using.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Is there any list anyone knows of for abilities/spells that move/push/pull opponents/targets? There are a lot of obvious spells and such that do so (Gust / Eldritch Blast with an invo / Gust of Wind / Artillerist Artificer Force Ballista / among others) but a nice list of all of them in one place would be useful. Most sortable spell lists I've found don't have an option for sorting by this sort of feature, unfortunately, and even if they did it wouldn't account for non-spell abilities.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Marathanes posted:

Is there any list anyone knows of for abilities/spells that move/push/pull opponents/targets? There are a lot of obvious spells and such that do so (Gust / Eldritch Blast with an invo / Gust of Wind / Artillerist Artificer Force Ballista / among others) but a nice list of all of them in one place would be useful. Most sortable spell lists I've found don't have an option for sorting by this sort of feature, unfortunately, and even if they did it wouldn't account for non-spell abilities.

No but I like where this gimmick character is going.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
We've been running into more than a few cliffs, chasms, battlements, etc, in one of the campaigns I'm playing in at the moment. I figure having a means to use them to my advantage wouldn't be a bad idea.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
If you can line them up, you can also use the Shove action if you're particularly strong

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Marathanes posted:

We've been running into more than a few cliffs, chasms, battlements, etc, in one of the campaigns I'm playing in at the moment. I figure having a means to use them to my advantage wouldn't be a bad idea.

The UA swarmkeeper ranger imbues weapon attacks with BEEES! which move their targets around at random.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

D&D isn't medieval fantasy, it's medieval Avengers. It's superheroes guys.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lobsterpillar posted:

The UA swarmkeeper ranger imbues weapon attacks with BEEES! which move their targets around at random.

Battle master fighters can also push people around, including with ranged attacks.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, guys like robin hood and beowulf were basically just superheroes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is there any word or rumor of them working on a sixth edition of dungeons and dragons?Would picking up more fifth edition books like the Ravnica be a fine investment if I’m really enjoying the system? I like to stay current on their things and I’m not really interested in dumping $100 into books if no one’s going to be playing this game in a year.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
There's been no news at all about a sixth edition. They're making insane money on fifth edition stuff and the game has exploded in popularity since its release... they will likely milk it for another 5 years at the very least.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Bust Rodd posted:

Is there any word or rumor of them working on a sixth edition of dungeons and dragons?Would picking up more fifth edition books like the Ravnica be a fine investment if I’m really enjoying the system? I like to stay current on their things and I’m not really interested in dumping $100 into books if no one’s going to be playing this game in a year.

Ravnica is a weird side MTG thing anyways, even if 6e was going to drop soon (which no, we def have a few years left), I don’t think they’d include a magic tie-in right off the bat. So you’re good

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

We're having a blast with the Ravnica setting - its a nice change of pace and there's tons of stuff to draw on for inspiration. There's only the one book for it that I know of.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Ran the part of SKT where Iymrith attacks the party and Harshnag after they leave the Oracle for a second time and I guess that encounter is just meant to be narrated through? My plan was to let 1 or 2 rounds play out where the party determined to run away and then just narrate their escape, but the enemy has a powerful aoe that it would obviously use in this situation and it knocked down 3/4 PCs. They managed to retreat to the Oracle while Harshnag caved in the roof and only 1 of the PCs actually died (it was very close to disaster, the Cleric was 1 failure away from death when the Bard crit her death save and healed him, so he could revive the dead PC).

Fun Fact: I rolled 10 below average for the aoe damage. If I used the average, it would have been a full party wipe from 1 attack at full health in a book encounter. And that's with a house rule that if anyone rolls under average for their health they can just take the average. In the future I'm going to need to pay more attention to when an upcoming planned encounter crosses over from "you need to run" to "you literally cannot run" so I know better how to run it.

E: So I looked back and I did get part of the nature of the aoe wrong in the moment. I misread exactly what type of area it was. The broad strokes of what happened still would have happened due to how everyone was already positioned, but there would not have been a risk of full party wipe in that one turn.

Trojan Kaiju fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 9, 2020

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Yeah, it's supposed to hit 1-2 people and that's the cue for a reasonable group to grab their fallen and GTFO in case they didn't know before how dangerous an ancient dragon is.

My group OTOH took it down to like half HP thanks to a Gloomstalker Fighter doing its thing while Big H tanked like a motherfucker, so our DM went "huh... rocks fall everyone either leaves or dies."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bust Rodd posted:

Even if there were news (Which there is not) Most of Ravnica is setting material that could be used regardless of edition.

The last time the D&D Team talked about about a perspective 6e, (Which I think was about two years ago) they said they would want to make it backwards compatible and more like the edition jump of 1e to 2e.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/1215282049768013824

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
That's perfect and I love it. We don't deserve Chris Perkins.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

AN two-wheeled infernal machine? Doesn't WOTC have copy editors?

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
It's embarrassing but minor if it's the only typo in the book. I've seen WotC-made AL modules with obvious find-and-replace errors that haven't been fixed in years.

So I'm guessing the answer is "no."

Edit: And "Ghaunadaur" is still misspelled in the newest revision of the PHB. My gooey lord and savior gets no respect. :smith:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Froghammer posted:

That's perfect and I love it. We don't deserve Chris Perkins.

CP is definitely the best part of the big time WotC squad. I met him at PAX East in 2016 right around when Curse of Strahd dropped. I was volunteer DMing with Adventurers League and he came by during set up, met every DM and admin there and hung out for a while to shoot the poo poo. He also did a book signing and he was just as nice with every single fan.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lucas Archer posted:

I feel like the original Temple of Elemental Evil had this exact set up.

Close. It's the set-up for Vecna LIves!

The party start playing as Archmages of the Circle of Eight. You know the classic Bigby, Rary etc. Loaded to the gills with magic items as well. They all get killed off in a encounter designed to do so about an hour into the game. And the PC's regroup as much lower level henchmen of their wizard masters trying to find out why they've vanished and what's happened to them.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Can we talk about favorite monsters in 5e? Because I've gotten a LOT of use out of the Rakdos Cackler from GGR. They basically do everything I want lower-level monsters that are meant to be fought in swarms to do: hit hard enpugh to be annoying but not enough to be dangerous, have exactly one dangerous attack, be able to threaten PCs at all ranges, and explode on death.

They're perfect little chaos spike monkeys and I love them.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Froghammer posted:

Can we talk about favorite monsters in 5e? Because I've gotten a LOT of use out of the Rakdos Cackler from GGR. They basically do everything I want lower-level monsters that are meant to be fought in swarms to do: hit hard enpugh to be annoying but not enough to be dangerous, have exactly one dangerous attack, be able to threaten PCs at all ranges, and explode on death.

They're perfect little chaos spike monkeys and I love them.
I can't imagine having this opinion... they resist almost all low-level damage sources (doubly so for martials), they have high AC of 15 for a CR 1/2 enemy, and they penalize characters for killing them in melee by exploding on death? It's like a combination of every adversarial design decision in one monster.

At least make them explode on their initiative instead of immediately on death so there's a tactical element in moving before they pop.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

I love illithids for their fluff but never use them because stun sucks poo poo. And I've been the one player at the table without dumped INT but cursed dice. Sitting out multiple entire fights is pretty unfun.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Infinite Karma posted:

I can't imagine having this opinion... they resist almost all low-level damage sources (doubly so for martials), they have high AC of 15 for a CR 1/2 enemy, and they penalize characters for killing them in melee by exploding on death? It's like a combination of every adversarial design decision in one monster.

At least make them explode on their initiative instead of immediately on death so there's a tactical element in moving before they pop.
The last time I ran Cacklers I 1) immediately handed the Rogue a +1 dagger and 2) had them come in waves; two, then two, then one (they were teleporting in due to magical shenanigans). The PCs caught on fairly quickly that melee wasn't a good option, so they switched to readying ranged attacks to pop them one at a time in response to allies disengaging.

Perfect. Chaos. Spike. Monkeys.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

DressCodeBlue posted:

I love illithids for their fluff but never use them because stun sucks poo poo. And I've been the one player at the table without dumped INT but cursed dice. Sitting out multiple entire fights is pretty unfun.

Yeah I had a quick realization when I put them against my party a while back, and whined a bunch to the thread about how stupidly put together they are. Minute-long stun that targets Intelligence, which is the dump stat all but one class in the PHB. Basically gently caress Mindflayers and all their variants and adjacent creatures.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

My only solace was my character who that kept happening to was a GOOlock (yes I know 14 INT in a warlock is useless but muh roleplay) and he eventually started doing a decent chunk of damage to them while stunned. :unsmith:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Froghammer posted:

The last time I ran Cacklers I 1) immediately handed the Rogue a +1 dagger and 2) had them come in waves; two, then two, then one (they were teleporting in due to magical shenanigans). The PCs caught on fairly quickly that melee wasn't a good option, so they switched to readying ranged attacks to pop them one at a time in response to allies disengaging.

Perfect. Chaos. Spike. Monkeys.

I feel like this kind of thing is what the 5e community needs since CR and encounter design is still :iiam: in a lot of ways: A wiki of every monster currently in 5e with real play experiences of how they are the most effective and what your players will need to maximize that effectiveness. I know that's probably impossible because all of that is so subjective but I want there to be a way we could crowdsource and curate the experiences down to their actual best mechanical use in a campaign.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Lobsterpillar posted:

There's an awful lot of discussion about running horror in D&D but what I want to know is what system is the best to run a Great British Bake-off style cooking competition in?

Uranium chef in Fate. Cooking challenges where there’s a risk of the arena itself killing you. Paul Hollywood is from Mars and hates you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
They took down the perkins tweet! You monsters!

It was a reply to this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GilTheVlogsmith/status/1214787866657583106

Saying it's not a typo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Splicer posted:

They took down the perkins tweet! You monsters!

It was a reply to this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GilTheVlogsmith/status/1214787866657583106

Saying it's not a typo

"an two-wheeled"