Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Doctor Jeep posted:

I love how the lie that rampaging berniebros kramered into the thread and started baying for middle class blood is getting repeated over and over by these dipshits when the reality is that it all started with someone concerned that the insurance industry wouldn't vote blue if bernie was the candidate

And one guy made a guillotine joke and the most fragile people on Earth had a 10-page meltdown screaming that Bernie Bros hate everyone with good jobs. And they're still going even after he said he was joking about the guillotine.

Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

And one guy made a guillotine joke and the most fragile people on Earth had a 10-page meltdown screaming that Bernie Bros hate everyone with good jobs. And they're still going even after he said he was joking about the guillotine.

Christ.

Like Andrew Gillum said, "A hit dog hollers". Let the Guillotine memes flow.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
What are PMCs?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What are PMCs?

Professional-Managerial Class. Also private military contractors, but that's not what we're talking about right now.

They're basically the modern petit bourgeoisie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SimonCat posted:

Why would the restaurant care if the servers are tipped?

The restaurants likely advertised and pushed no tipping as a selling point.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's no better way to make Petty Bourgeoisie mad than to call them Petty Bourgeoisie

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Kraftwerk posted:

CNN, WSJ, Newsweek and a couple other outlets are now putting out pro-Bernie articles saying he might win. WSJ even said “Get ready for president sanders”

It’s happening?
I stand by my theory that the major news outlets have finally achieved just enough self-awareness to know that the media "bounce" candidates get from positive articles are really the kiss of death in the long term, and are trying to use that fact to throttle Sanders' campaign. They're hoping that the initial bounce from their coverage is followed by a permanent drop in support after that cycle ends, just like has happened with every other candidate they've tried to push.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I stand by my theory that the major news outlets have finally achieved just enough self-awareness to know that the media "bounce" candidates get from positive articles are really the kiss of death in the long term, and are trying to use that fact to throttle Sanders' campaign. They're hoping that the initial bounce from their coverage is followed by a permanent drop in support after that cycle ends, just like has happened with every other candidate they've tried to push.

And here's to hoping it backfires spectacularly!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
A good model for PMCs is the police. They aren't of the capitalist class but their job is, literally, to enforce the capitalist order.

You can contrast that with other high wage earners like Doctors and Lawyers who form a critical pillar of the modern democratic party.

Now, this is important, the professional (distinct from managerial) class are over represented in the current Democratic platform. That's because suburbs are the last real swing districts for house and senate elections.

The Panera Bread strategy is to swing PMCs to vote D. You can see why it is an attractive idea: it hits key swing areas for downstream races (that should translate to upstream races) and it opens up a new potentially huge revenue stream.

The problem is that it doesn't work.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Cooks don't just work as waiters because often the waiters are white and more educated and more able to speak English and often better looking than average. Some places only employ waitresses i.e. women. If you're none of those things then it'll be a lot harder to get a customer facing / tipping restaurant job.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

A good model for PMCs is the police. They aren't of the capitalist class but their job is, literally, to enforce the capitalist order.

You can contrast that with other high wage earners like Doctors and Lawyers who form a critical pillar of the modern democratic party.

Now, this is important, the professional (distinct from managerial) class are over represented in the current Democratic platform. That's because suburbs are the last real swing districts for house and senate elections.

The Panera Bread strategy is to swing PMCs to vote D. You can see why it is an attractive idea: it hits key swing areas for downstream races (that should translate to upstream races) and it opens up a new potentially huge revenue stream.

The problem is that it doesn't work.
Didn't the Dems just win 40 house seats with this strategy?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Didn't the Dems just win 40 house seats with this strategy?

Most seats that flipped were suburban seats where Dem share went from just under fifty to just over fifty, but the biggest vote swings were in rural deep red districts where progressive candidates still lost, but went from mid 20s to mid 40s.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The media is hoping that by making a thing of Bernie, they'll help make Bernie not a thing.

Watch out for false flag Bernie flashmobs and anyone using the term "Bernmentum".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Deep cover liberals dancing badly and posting pro bernie cringe

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

cool kids inc. posted:

And here's to hoping it backfires spectacularly!

Bernie has an actual base that's not made up of whatever floating low-info people who gravitate to whoever the media is pushing, so of course it's gonna backfire spectacularly.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I dunno much about Politico but they ran an article earlier today titled

Sense of foreboding darkens Democratic primary
Many early-state Democrats are gripped by dread over recent headlines. The candidates are making it worse.

I won't link it cause it's dumb, but I just find it hilarious how much that sounds like the beginning of the opening crawl to a Star Wars movie.

o no Democrats talk about sad things like Trump killing people!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

I dunno much about Politico but they ran an article earlier today titled

Sense of foreboding darkens Democratic primary
Many early-state Democrats are gripped by dread over recent headlines. The candidates are making it worse.

I won't link it cause it's dumb, but I just find it hilarious how much that sounds like the beginning of the opening crawl to a Star Wars movie.

o no Democrats talk about sad things like Trump killing people!

The existential horror as the realization slowly creeps up on them that there are people in the party who actually want to do something.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
The problem is that they waited too long to give Sanders the bounce and drop. The caucus is in a few weeks.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Judakel posted:

The problem is that they waited too long to give Sanders the bounce and drop. The caucus is in a few weeks.

If timed perfectly in theory the drop would be happening right in time for the caucus but also he's not gonna get the bounce and drop because he doesn't have the "actually wanted the opposite of what he's talking about now 3 years ago" skeletons everyone else that's gotten the bounce and drop has had.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They want Trump to start a war when he sticks it to Bernie by responding to his "no war with Iran" message by starting the war before he gets in.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Judakel posted:

Why would he get a bounce and drop? Sanders has very high recognition. Love him or hate him, pretty much everyone already has a good idea of who he is and what he's about.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PerniciousKnid posted:

Why would he get a bounce and drop? Sanders has very high recognition. Love him or hate him, pretty much everyone already has a good idea of who he is and what he's about.

There's always this cloud of low-info voters who just go for whoever the media is pushing, so Bernie could very well get a bounce. However, since Bernie actually stands for things he won't get the drop into irrelevancy that the empty suits do.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Cerebral Bore posted:

There's always this cloud of low-info voters who just go for whoever the media is pushing, so Bernie could very well get a bounce. However, since Bernie actually stands for things he won't get the drop into irrelevancy that the empty suits do.

Yeah the low info voters are gonna be googling him now and likely they’ll get on board if his message resonates with them.

If the catchphrases have been about Bernie being old or irrelevant that’s the kind of thing low info voters have parroted. Now that they’re saying he might win it changes the narrative for them. If they dig deeper, they’ll probably catch on like the base did. Then it’s just a matter of overcoming the cynicism of how “they won’t let him win” because of his platform sounding too good to be true.

If a Bernie win seems likely the next phase will be much like Trump. How much can he be controlled, co-opted or or utilized to maintain the congressional party’s objectives.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Gripweed posted:

Bernie Sanders is definitely going to win. He's the only candidate making an unequivocal moral statement against the war. While all the other candidates are doing the exact same "Hrm yes well, you see, Iran is evil and it should be stopped at any cost but Trump didn't fill out the right forms and I would let Iran keep being evil because I'm a pussy" poo poo that helped Kerry eat poo poo in 2004.

This here. There is a huge opportunity for better foreign policy. It’s one of the things, probably the only thing, that made Ron Paul so popular with regular people (and hated by elites).

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
I'm trying to convince my mom that Liz Warren would get wrecked by the Native American stuff in the general, because the media's been taking it easy and hasn't covered the full extent of it yet. (I think most people assume she used it on a single application form, but they don't know about pow wow chow and being considered a minority professor at Harvard). Is there a good summary of all the stupid poo poo she did? (Ideally not on a conservative psycho site).

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/AlxThomp/status/1214248890968543232?s=19

gently caress this old bastard.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The entire reason I am so passionate about electing Bernie, to the point of canvassing multiple times (which is like pulling teeth for me, I'd never knock on a stranger's house otherwise) is foreign policy.

I was born and raised in Brazil, and old enough to have been born under the dictatorship. A dictatorship that got started when LBJ wanted to look tough on communism and said "I'd get right on top of it and stick my neck out a little". This dictatorship was devastating to my family. Now, keep in mind that my father's side of the family was pretty aristocratic., and very conservative. And they still got caught in this poo poo. My great uncle, who was my father's partner in an architectural design business, was centrist lib personified. He did all sorts of outreach to the US and would never be confused for a communist. But when he was a professor he excused the absences of some lefty students who went to Cuba mid semester, and he didn't allow the right wing students to read a manifesto in class. That was enough for him to be denounced to the authorities. He spent most of the years between 64 and 68 in and out of prison while being investigated, and in 1968 when the dictatorship decided to go even more brutal, he went into exile, and died before he could ever return. I never met my father's younger brother. He was a student leader. He also wasn't a communist. But the dictatorship cracked down on all student leadership, and so he was arrested. When he was arrested, he was staying in my great grandfather's house, and said great grandfather was beaten up by the army when they came for my uncle (despite my great grandfather being a major in the army). My uncle was arrested, went through several mock executions, and came out with significant mental issues that led to his death. These things have had a lasting impact on my family. And yet when we talk about LBJ, dictatorship in Brazil is never, ever mentioned. It's not even a footnote, a detail. It's like the lives of the people affected matter less than some mild gaffe or personality quirk he might have had.

Meanwhile, Bernie was on the side of the Sandinistas. When Lula was in prison, Bernie called for his release (while an Obama admin toady stated that releasing Lula would be giving in to impunity). Bernie called what happened in Bolivia a coup. Now, Bernie isn't perfect. But he is so much better, he is so far ahead, that his presidency would be historic. It would be the first time in history that an American president isn't automatically in favor of boots on the neck of the Latin American left. If you think that the lives of the marginalized in Latin America are worth more than 0, than Bernie's candidacy is historic. It should be treated the same way that we refer to the first politicians to support same sex marriage, or to oppose segregation, because it's that level of historic if you believe the lives of people in Latin America have value. Anyone who treats that as a minor detail is not on my side and is not an ally of mine.

Bernie might lose, but hell if I am not going to do everything in my power to get him elected.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Jesus Christ Biden sucks so loving much.

For all the bad poo poo Obama has done, resurrecting and legitimizing this glad-handing dickhead is the one I’ll hold against him forever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Turns out that Mayo Pete is bad?

https://twitter.com/michaelharriot/status/1214930532993323010?s=21

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I'm trying to convince my mom that Liz Warren would get wrecked by the Native American stuff in the general, because the media's been taking it easy and hasn't covered the full extent of it yet. (I think most people assume she used it on a single application form, but they don't know about pow wow chow and being considered a minority professor at Harvard). Is there a good summary of all the stupid poo poo she did? (Ideally not on a conservative psycho site).

The details don't matter, what matters is that Trump and all the Republicans will say "Warren pretended to be Native America to get ahead" and all Warren can say is "Well, you see I have this form right here signed by Mr. Harvard himself saying I didn't benefit from affirmative action so you're telling a great big fib!"

The Republicans have the much better story and it will destroy her credibility.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Gripweed posted:

The details don't matter, what matters is that Trump and all the Republicans will say "Warren pretended to be Native America to get ahead" and all Warren can say is "Well, you see I have this form right here signed by Mr. Harvard himself saying I didn't benefit from affirmative action so you're telling a great big fib!"

The Republicans have the much better story and it will destroy her credibility.

Oh yeah, I know this. Anyway, just asked my mom if she thought the emails were a bigger or smaller deal than the Native American thing.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I think it's more likely to backfire; the reason they dropped in the polls is because once the candidate was examined, people realized how poo poo they were (at least that's my uneducated guess/hope). Since bernie has more upsides when they go on about "the crazy guy who wants everyone to have healthcare" more people might support him.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

joepinetree posted:

Meanwhile, Bernie was on the side of the Sandinistas. When Lula was in prison, Bernie called for his release (while an Obama admin toady stated that releasing Lula would be giving in to impunity). Bernie called what happened in Bolivia a coup. Now, Bernie isn't perfect. But he is so much better, he is so far ahead, that his presidency would be historic. It would be the first time in history that an American president isn't automatically in favor of boots on the neck of the Latin American left. If you think that the lives of the marginalized in Latin America are worth more than 0, than Bernie's candidacy is historic. It should be treated the same way that we refer to the first politicians to support same sex marriage, or to oppose segregation, because it's that level of historic if you believe the lives of people in Latin America have value. Anyone who treats that as a minor detail is not on my side and is not an ally of mine.

Bernie might lose, but hell if I am not going to do everything in my power to get him elected.

:hai:

All the death and misery this country fosters is intolerable. Bernie might lose, but the movement to end policies in which human suffering is treated as collateral damage will continue to grow.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Gyges posted:

The restaurants likely advertised and pushed no tipping as a selling point.

Bunch of y'all talking out your rear end to fit the world into your head canon. You can still tip in seattle and as a local I've never seen or heard of someone advertising "YOU DONT HAVE TO TIP, EAT HERE"

Lmao just making up reasons to be mad

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Also the absence of a lot of tip lines is because people are using digital payment terminals with a selection of tip percentages that auto-calculate everything for you. That way you don’t have to sign everything you just enter your PIN number or tap your card if it’s under 100 dollars.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Meatball posted:

I think it's more likely to backfire; the reason they dropped in the polls is because once the candidate was examined, people realized how poo poo they were (at least that's my uneducated guess/hope). Since bernie has more upsides when they go on about "the crazy guy who wants everyone to have healthcare" more people might support him.

they will probably go all out on the our revolution smear, though who knows if it'll stick

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Oh yeah, I know this. Anyway, just asked my mom if she thought the emails were a bigger or smaller deal than the Native American thing.

There was a good Nathan J Robinson piece about Warren that talks briefly about the NA thing. And as others have mentioned on this site, there were Native Americans scrutinizing her heritage going back to 2011.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

VitalSigns posted:

Christ.

Is there literally anyone posting in this thread that would not vote for Bernie? The left's indulgence of infighting is sometimes overstated, but...yeah.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I think it's more that the polling is showing Bernie in a real good place, the DNC politicos circulating emails about Bernie can win, and continuing complaints online about the blackout.

The very smart talking heads then realized they'd never actually said Bernie could win. So they're going to fix that real quick. After all, part of the secret to never being held to account for being a wrong dumbass is using your lack of insight and principles to hold as many positions as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TrixR4kids posted:

There was a good Nathan J Robinson piece about Warren that talks briefly about the NA thing. And as others have mentioned on this site, there were Native Americans scrutinizing her heritage going back to 2011.
I don't think most people are aware that the Native American issue is a longstanding (and extremely Normal) ethical breach and not a momentary gaffe. At least, I wasn't aware of it until I read that article.