Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, I forgot that I hated how rapey the forced memory wipes were when I was talking about how I loved everything else.

That was bad and gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was especially dumb considering that there are several examples of where the doctor lets historical figures see thing things work out or get a glimpse of the future without erasing their memories. Why not let these two people keep the knowledge that what they are doing is worth it?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Cojawfee posted:

It was especially dumb considering that there are several examples of where the doctor lets historical figures see thing things work out or get a glimpse of the future without erasing their memories. Why not let these two people keep the knowledge that what they are doing is worth it?

the end of Vincent and the Doctor, with Van Gogh in the museum, still loving kills me

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

fractalairduct posted:

I'm not entirely convinced the Master didn't somehow redirect the Doctor's TARDIS back to the middle of the Time War.

A lot of those earlier episodes felt like "millennials are on your drat phones too much and you need to put them down", which is sort of blustering about nothing. This episode, on the other hand, didn't treat technology as a bad thing, just the companies who abuse it. "Corporations are tracking every detail of your online presence and will use this information, which is actually a huge violation of privacy if you think about it" is true, an important thing to make people aware of, and a message that's very appropriate to Who.

Going all the way back to series 1 of the revival, it's interesting with modern knowledge to look at their scorn that no-one can "own the internet".

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Going all the way back to series 1 of the revival, it's interesting with modern knowledge to look at their scorn that no-one can "own the internet".

At the show's scorn? I dunno.

I think the episode makes it clear that Rose is being naive when she says that. Van Statten's an overconfident egoist, but he's smart and competent too.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Buml0r posted:

So, I've really really enjoyed these last two episodes, after finding myself pretty bored for a lot of the last series. It feels like the Doctor Who I like watching is back. I'm very happy about that.

But, also, I'm feeling really weird about that bit where The Doctor, off of Doctor Who, dobbed-in a POC to 1940s nazis and then flew away, and the next time we saw that POC, he described having had to escape from... what sounded to me like concentration camps.

Is that not the single biggest "but that character, and this series, would never do that" moment in the whole show so far? Shouldn't someone, be it Chibnall or whoever directed it, or the producers, someone, have said no, we're not doing that?

It feels pretty cleanly like something they shouldn't have done, but I'm seeing very little mention of it here or on twitter, so I'm starting to doubt myself, like I just didn't understand what happened. Maybe I'm just so used to every little thing being savaged on social media, and it's actually not a bad thing for a popular scifi property to put a foot wrong without a massive backlash... but I'm not sure this time. When I have found discussions of it (which I've had to search for), I've seen people say "the way I interpreted it, the Doctor just removed the layer of trickery that was making nazis think he was their boss," and then other people go "I mean, maybe, but it seemed to me like she removed the filter that made them see him as aryan," and the discussion stops there. But like, that comment he made when he turned up near the end. "The 20th century has been hard to live through. The places I've had to escape from." She got him sent to the camps, right? Didn't she?

It's really making me feel weird about this episode. Not in a "I'm cross with them" way (until I'm sure), more in a "hang on, SURELY not" way. Like if one of the main characters had randomly had their genitals fully visible for a whole scene or something, and all that happened afterwards was a couple of people on twitter went "odd decision, oh well" and left it at that.

Edit - I like the idea above that the Master just immediately killed the nazis and got away, but... even if I'm interpreting his speech wrong, the Doctor did still do it and I suppose I just think that's... alarmingly out of character? Perhaps I'm just feeling weird because I told a Jewish friend of a friend who was wondering whether to get back into the series that the new year episode was really good...

He's callously tortured and killed millions. And the Doctor didn't know it at the time, but he genocided the Time Lords. She spent decades keeping him prisoner when he was Missy and he never reformed. She also knew he'd get out of it, because he always does, but it would be some just desserts for him palling around with Nazis.

If he was working with the Daleks and she revealed to them he was going to double cross them, and she swanned off while they closed in on him with their guns pointed at him, how would that be different? Would you feel the show was sending the wrong message? If the Nazis would kill him because he was a POC but the Daleks would kill him because he is Not A Dalek, is the former somehow worse? I'm not sure what the right message would be-arresting him and trying to reform him? Cause we just spent a season on that and it didn't work.

I do really want some audios of the Master living through the 20th and early 21st century, especially having to sit on the sidelines when stuff went down involving the Doctor and him. Not only was he there during the UNIT days, that means he was also around during the decades the Doctor (and Missy) were at the college. Also for Captain Jack's time on Earth. I wonder if he voted for Saxon? :laugh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Astroman posted:

I wonder if he voted for Saxon? :laugh:

The Master being the Master, he was probably one of like 4 people in England who DIDN'T vote for Saxon :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

The Master being the Master, he was probably one of like 4 people in England who DIDN'T vote for Saxon :allears:

Also just got a picture of him looking out his window the moment every humanoid on Earth (besides him) becomes THE MASTER RACE and he just sighs and goes back to his tea.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

As a jewish person watching this the only thing that struck me as off was the way she delivered "they'll see you as you REALLY are" when she removed the perception filter. That's what you say to the villain when you make their allies see them as the conniving evil person they are, not when you make racists see them as a person who appears to not be white - I mean the Master isn't even actually an Indian man, he's a Time Lord.

(spoilered for more discussion of the holocaust than would normally happen in the space adventure thread) To my knowledge they wouldn't have sent him to a concentration camp anyway though, probably just a regular prison camp. They weren't systematically exterminating anyone other than roma and jews, even if they were persecuting/imprisoning other groups.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Senor Tron posted:

Also that episode is set 8 years in the past :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also that episode is set 8 years in the past :stare:

I wonder if when RTD used 2012 as a date back in 2005, it was under the assumption of,"Well what are the chances this thing is still running 7 years from now?"

The answer is no, because Rusty is a true believer and knew the show would be back forever :hellyeah:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

As a jewish person watching this the only thing that struck me as off was the way she delivered "they'll see you as you REALLY are" when she removed the perception filter. That's what you say to the villain when you make their allies see them as the conniving evil person they are, not when you make racists see them as a person who appears to not be white - I mean the Master isn't even actually an Indian man, he's a Time Lord.

(spoilered for more discussion of the holocaust than would normally happen in the space adventure thread) To my knowledge they wouldn't have sent him to a concentration camp anyway though, probably just a regular prison camp. They weren't systematically exterminating anyone other than roma and jews, even if they were persecuting/imprisoning other groups.

It's at least potentially possible that the script was foreshadowing what she does to the Master at the end of the episode. We're not in a position yet to tell whether that was better or worse than what she did to him in WW II.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

I think you are confusing concentration camps and death camps. Death camps like Treblinka were where everyone was killed on arrival, they were for extermination only. Concentration camps were the “regular prison camps” for the Nazis. Auschwitz functioned as both, it was technically two camps.

And they absolutely sent spies, political prisoners, regular criminals, and homosexuals to concentration camps, as well as Jews, Jehovahs witnesses, Freemasons, and Roma. (Horrifying fact- gay people weren’t exactly liberated from the concentration camps, they were moved to regular prisons and made to serve the remainder of their sentences).

Noor from this episode was shot to death in Dachau concentration camp like a year after the episode takes place.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Cojawfee posted:

I doubt they took it into account but she encountered Ada Lovelace as the Fourth Doctor in the audios so she had to wipe her memory so as not to interfere with her own timeline.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Buml0r posted:

But, also, I'm feeling really weird about that bit where The Doctor, off of Doctor Who, dobbed-in a POC to 1940s nazis and then flew away, and the next time we saw that POC, he described having had to escape from... what sounded to me like concentration camps.

I think people don't mind because it's a form of ironic punishment. There's a difference between dobbing in some random POC to the Nazis, and a POC who minutes ago was a Nazi ordering other Nazis to machine gun up possible hiding spots for Jews.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh god, I just realised that now both the Master and the Doctor (8th, amnesiac) have lived through the 20th century on Earth, blissfully unaware of each other.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
And proof that we can't have nice things, I've seen a few online articles saying that the new Master is a "narrative step backwards" because we've gone from the suave, frenemy, female Missy to the hammy, over-the-top, obviously evil, male Master.

This show has the worst loving fans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Most of the poo poo I have seen is bitching about his race. The fandom does suck.

I hope when Jodi leaves they cast a black woman, I want to see the poo poo fans all kill themselves.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Social media gets leagues better when you just unfollow any official tv show/movie pages/accounts and totally divorce yourself from the toxic shitheads that thrive in those comments.

Just follow cool fans and the actors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Social media gets leagues better when you just unfollow any official tv show/movie pages/accounts and totally divorce yourself from the toxic shitheads that thrive in those comments.

Just follow cool fans and the actors.

That doesn't insulate you, the amount of lovely things I have seen on celebs instagram posts is really disturbing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

That doesn't insulate you, the amount of lovely things I have seen on celebs instagram posts is really disturbing.

“Don’t read the comments” still applies, unfortunately.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I couldn't sleep last night so I spent lots of time looking at stupid Doctor Who opinions and videos on the internet. Fans seem to be split on the new Master, between

1. People that like him
2. People that don't like him
3. People that hate Whitaker and will take any excuse to poo poo on the show
4. People that hate Chibnall and will take any excuse to poo poo on the show
5. People who are upset that Missy's character development has been apparently rejected
6. People who are certain he must be a pre-Missy Master because she died permanently (lol) and also turned good permanently (lol)
7. Shippers who have resumed making Doctor/Master videos
8. Racists (high overlap with 2, 3 and 4)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think they can very easily say that when Missy died she was indeed good. But when the Master was resurrected his many lifetimes of being an evil dick overpowered the goodness Missy was trying to embrace.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Master literally dying and then coming back later with no explanation is one of Doctor Who’s better running gags.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HD DAD posted:

The Master literally dying and then coming back later with no explanation is one of Doctor Who’s better running gags.

I'm pretty sure Delgado and Three had this conversation 7 or 8 times.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I think they can very easily say that when Missy died she was indeed good. But when the Master was resurrected his many lifetimes of being an evil dick overpowered the goodness Missy was trying to embrace.

It's also possible that learning the dark secret of the time lords made the Master turn heel again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

marktheando posted:

It's also possible that learning the dark secret of the time lords made the Master turn heel again.

The dark secret is that they eat their toast butter side down.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

hosed up if true.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rhyno posted:

I heard it was that they called them jelly & peanut butter sandwiches.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Master did nothing wrong.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The beard may be considered a war crime

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

As might all the war crimes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm actually happy people are now defending the Master as a gal trying her best to change. It's a far cry from the HE CAN'T BE A WOMAN bullshit that happened at the time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I'm actually happy people are now defending the Master as a gal trying her best to change. It's a far cry from the HE CAN'T BE A WOMAN bullshit that happened at the time.

I mean, it's not like these are the same people? The latter crowd, those who haven't just given up, still make themselves heard.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Upcoming eps:

Episode 4: 'Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror' by Nina Metivier
Episode 5: 'Fugitive of the Judoon' by Vinay Patel
Episode 6: 'Praxeus' by Pete McTighe

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Title names for 4 and 5 are EXTREMELY intriguing!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

marktheando posted:

I couldn't sleep last night so I spent lots of time looking at stupid Doctor Who opinions and videos on the internet. Fans seem to be split on the new Master, between

1. People that like him
2. People that don't like him
3. People that hate Whitaker and will take any excuse to poo poo on the show
4. People that hate Chibnall and will take any excuse to poo poo on the show
5. People who are upset that Missy's character development has been apparently rejected
6. People who are certain he must be a pre-Missy Master because she died permanently (lol) and also turned good permanently (lol)
7. Shippers who have resumed making Doctor/Master videos
8. Racists (high overlap with 2, 3 and 4)

I'm not gonna say I don't like Sacha Dhawan; he's having fun with the part, but I do think that he's not covering any ground that John Simm didn't already cover. The scene with him forcing the Doctor to bow felt like an outtake from The Sound of Drums, minus the homoeroticism I guess cause the Doctor's currently a woman. It's a less interesting choice than Missy but then that's the Chibnall era in a nutshell isn't it, which I suppose makes me a 4 after all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I completely missed this was back until I saw an ad on a bus shelter.

Wow, they actually came up with an enemy that was scary, rather than some alien with an ear where their nose should be and noses were their ears should be or something else goofy. Master was pretty good, though I'm wary of the meta plot of "Time Lords are actually evil!' because uh, yea we know that already. Maybe they can do something with it that's different, but its an fact that Rassilon and the rest raided time and space for power. Maybe Omega was a good guy after all?

But drat didn't the crew look fine in their tuxes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I disagree with the assertion that Sacha is just retreading Simm. There's overlap but I see some overlap with Delgado and Ainley too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rochallor posted:

I'm not gonna say I don't like Sacha Dhawan; he's having fun with the part, but I do think that he's not covering any ground that John Simm didn't already cover. The scene with him forcing the Doctor to bow felt like an outtake from The Sound of Drums, minus the homoeroticism I guess cause the Doctor's currently a woman. It's a less interesting choice than Missy but then that's the Chibnall era in a nutshell isn't it, which I suppose makes me a 4 after all.

Dhawan's Master specifically feels different from Simm to me because... well, the actor is having just as much fun, but the Master sure as gently caress isn't. He's getting his kicks where he can find them, but he's mostly playing it straight in front of others. Gloating when he's winning, but not on the way there.

Until something goes wrong, which he takes in stride way less than Simm or Gomez. Dhawan's Master spends most of part two of Spyfall fuckin' pissed that he has to go play damage control to stop things unravelling. And honestly I love it, he's the only villain I can remember who just seems really frustrated by the Doctor and her bullshit.