Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of the Battle of Sodden, because I've seen this criticism a lot..Ya'll realize that Season 1 doesn't actually portray the Battle of Sodden right? The point of that scene was that the army looking for Ciri was testing the mages holding the field until the real forces arrive. The real forces haven't arrived yet and Foltest only just showed up at the end. I've seen complaints regarding how few of Nilfgaard's army we saw and how the battle played out like the Kaer Morhen battle in Witcher 3 and etc etc. We've only seen the prelude to the battle. The real Battle for Sodden is likely how Season 2 will begin, with Geralt taking Ciri to Kaer Morhen while Yen and the rest of the mages provide back up to Temeria and Kaedwen fighting off Nilfgaard.

Edit: Also, having finished my second viewing of the season last night, I'm convinced that Vilgafortz threw the fight and will show up later as a much larger badass. The first time I watched it I couldn't tell if the mage he brained with that mace after waking up was an enemy mage or one of his. But if you examine the scene, you'll see that the mage was fighting against NIlfgaards troops, meaning Vilgafortz clearly smashed the head in of a mage that was on his side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Noslo posted:

tell us more about your ideas of how it should have been

Could have literally stared with queen person dieing on couch and mutant princess escaping.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Show is just ok. Gerald and Yennefer have no chemistry and the final battle in the last episode was not good or interesting. Gerald is not a super interesting character either, kinda the same problem I have with the Mandalorian. Still, the story and worldbuilding stuff keep me interested and Jaskier is the best.

I’m leaving it as Gerald because I don’t feel like fighting with my phone’s autocorrect.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’m leaving it as Gerald because I don’t feel like fighting with my phone’s autocorrect.

How come it didn't change Yennefer?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

How come it didn't change Yennefer?

I hosed up the spelling so bad I had to manually change it. Plus I only used her name once.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Protip: always type Yen

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Protip: always type Yen

What, are you good friends with her or something?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'd like to think we all are. We all are.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

chaosapiant posted:

Edit: Also, having finished my second viewing of the season last night, I'm convinced that Vilgafortz threw the fight and will show up later as a much larger badass. The first time I watched it I couldn't tell if the mage he brained with that mace after waking up was an enemy mage or one of his. But if you examine the scene, you'll see that the mage was fighting against NIlfgaards troops, meaning Vilgafortz clearly smashed the head in of a mage that was on his side.

Yeah I didn't understand this at all. Me and my gf just went "huh?" when the friendly mage brained the other friendly mage and then was never seen again

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

Dear friend,

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I just finished watching the show. As a fan of both the books and the games, I am pretty disappointed. Apologies if some of this has already been discussed; I only reviewed the last few pages.

The first episode left me with a very poor impression. The show did nothing to ease you into the setting. Instead, the viewer was thrust into the midst of a complicated political situation for which they have absolutely no context and are expected to care about the fates of characters they've known for less than an hour. Who is attacking whom and why? Am I supposed to feel something when Eist dies or Calanthe kills herself? If I weren't familiar with the source material, I would have been completely lost and bounced off the show entirely. The fall of Cintra should have been the final episode, not the first. That's just one of many bizarre decisions that the show made.

I know that some people liked the "three separate timelines" thing, but I didn't. I wasn't confused by it but I don't feel that it contributed anything to the story. It felt to me like an unnecessary element added in a feeble attempt to seem clever.

This is hard for me to articulate, but a lot of the sets felt wrong. They're often too large, too small, or too empty. Calanthe's castle, for instance, seems severely lacking in tapestries, wall-hangings, suits of armor, heraldy, etc. The hallways all consist of the same completely bare stones. The room in which Geralt is staying at the beginning of the Striga episode is absolutely cavernous (and almost completely bare), yet the ballroom where the mages are dancing is comparatively tiny. The Valley of Flowers mostly consists of an arid wasteland and the ancient, primeval Brokilon forest is a normal forest with a lot of bloom. None of this is helped by the drab gray filter that is placed over almost everything, though that seems to be a Netflix trademark for me at this point.

I have no idea how the Nilfgaardian nutsack armor was approved; it is literally one of the stupidest costume choices I have ever seen on television. Even the spiky skull armor of the old Hercules and Xena shows would have been preferable. I wasn't too crazy about the Temerian soldiers looking like Aquaman either.

The books portray Nilfgaard as being a more "modern" state, with a more centralized government, equal rights for women, large corporations that exert influence, etc. Not a single mention is made of their religion, so I'm baffled that they decided to turn Nilfgaard into a bunch of religious fanatics that nobody takes seriously until it's too late. The changes to many of the characters bother me too. Show Fringilla is a completely different character from book Fringilla and show Cahir seems like a psychopath. I'm not opposed to them changing things, but I don't feel that these changes were for the better.

That's not to say that it was all bad. I liked that they fleshed out Yennefer's backstory. I felt that some of the casting choices, particularly Tissaia and Dandelion (and I have no idea why they decided to use his Polish name instead of the only name by which English speakers know him), were spot-on. I felt that some of the fight choreography was pretty cool. That's about it. Admittedly, I tend to be more nitpicky than most. I also really, really like the books and games and so held the show to a (perhaps unrealistically) high standard.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hobbesmaster posted:

Dear friend,

lmao

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Yeah I think the timeline poo poo was too cute by half. I felt literally nothing when Cintra fell, and all the melodramatic music and slowmotion camera panning on the characters dying almost came off as comical.

I think the show would do better to lean into being dumber and more fun. Just embrace being stupid. It's almost there!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

hobbesmaster posted:

Dear friend,

This is good

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Idgi

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wait, thats technically season 2 spoilers I guess? Maybe?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I posted the letter in full at some point in the thread. I think I spoilered it tho, so we good.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Mike N Eich posted:

Yeah I think the timeline poo poo was too cute by half. I felt literally nothing when Cintra fell, and all the melodramatic music and slowmotion camera panning on the characters dying almost came off as comical.

I think the show would do better to lean into being dumber and more fun. Just embrace being stupid. It's almost there!

to be honest, i imagine the first time it's supposed to play as sad, when looked through the bulbous eyes of ciri.
later on, we now cintra basically had it coming, and the queen dying by jumping out the window is pretty hilarious.

I'm hoping we get dysfunctional family fun times with yen, geralt and ciri next season. just a bunch of drama and fighting monsters and getting swindled out of pay, and singing

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m not sure how Cintra “had it coming” unless you mean they denied support from the mages. Which was a fairly wise move when you look at the whole picture.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

I’m not sure how Cintra “had it coming” unless you mean they denied support from the mages. Which was a fairly wise move when you look at the whole picture.

They did a crusade against non-humans.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They did? Man I missed taht

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They did a crusade against non-humans.

Yea? How does that equate to what Nilfgaard then? If Elves and dwarves rose up and slaughtered Cintra I’d understand the sentiment.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

Just finished the first season - it was a lot of fun but I think I had a lot more fun with the Geralt one-off adventures with Jaskier than I did with any of the overarching stuff. The supposedly climactic battle at the end was fun with all the magic (I do enjoy how magic really does come at a cost in this show) but its not super clear to me why any character is invested in it.

Yennefer is a surprisingly well-written character for being someone who has come through a lot of hardship and is sympathetic in a lot of ways, but is also selfish and duplicitous. Well done, pulp fantasy show! That's an impressive accomplishment for something like this.

Anyway give me more Henry Cavill hacking poo poo up with Jaskier singing dumb songs, thats the best part.

:same:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

Yea? How does that equate to what Nilfgaard then? If Elves and dwarves rose up and slaughtered Cintra I’d understand the sentiment.

Or maybe he meant they had it coming since Calanthe kept trying to deny destiny / law of surprise.

Either way, Cintra got hosed and they deserved it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Watching this through again. The Doppler stuff is kinda screwy. Can they really assume all memories from the person they're mimicking or was that just for the show?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fartington Butts posted:

Watching this through again. The Doppler stuff is kinda screwy. Can they really assume all memories from the person they're mimicking or was that just for the show?

Pretty sure they can absorb everything memory/knowledge wise as those they mimic. Pretty sure that's how it happened in the books, and Dudu does it in the game. Gotta save Dudu.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fartington Butts posted:

I thought at least from the Witcher games the Doppler can only copy things like skills or impersonate mannerisms?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

etalian posted:

I thought at least from the Witcher games the Doppler can only copy things like skills or impersonate mannerisms?

A doppler in the games copies Geralt and can barely handle how icky it is inside his head/memories, etc, and Dude, when impersonating the head witch-hunter, feels just as nasty cooped up with all of this thoughts also.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

etalian posted:

No, they get memories and to some extent personality. Dudu mentions he caught himself enjoying it when impersonating Menge

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I hardly remember anything from the games aside from the DLC that I'm going through now. Gonna have to do a NG+ on W3 afterwards.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKv0rtgI7mw

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Show is good but there are some pacing/editing issues

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For folks only familiar with this season of the show and nothing from the books/games, what did you think of Geralt's childhood flashbacks and references to Visenna and Vesemir in the last episode? Coming from someone that knows who these people are, I'm curious if this was confusing or not. I loved that they dropped those names with hardly any reference, but I know who they are.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Was Visenna ever mentioned in the games? That came as a surprise to me in the show, but again, my memory may be serving me wrong.

Edit: I'm also stupid enough to just realize that when Geralt yelled "I JUST WANT SOME PEACE" that was his first wish to the djinn.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Visenna was not (to my memory/knowledge) mentioned in the games, but she's definitely mentioned in the story Something More in the Sword of Destiny book when Geralt is tripping balls. Basically the show gets a lot of that part right.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

There are two kindsa people:

1. The medic elf who freaks out and avoids watching when Geralt and Yen are porkin'

2. Dandelion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm sad that Jaskier didn't get his little moment in Something More adapted for the show. I get why it wasn't there because the changes to the show would make his appearance impossible, but it is a good moment in the book because it reaffirms Geralt's friendship with him even as much as Jaskier drives him crazy. Geralt has a lot of apologizing to do for Dandelion in season 2.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
Honestly, when I first saw Henry Cavill was going to be cast as Geralt, I was ready for a hot mess... but hey you know what? The guy is great.

What I'm not liking is the timeline poo poo. I've noticed the dialog dropping verbal cues like "that was 3 decades ago" or "oh wow it's been 10 years" so it's just lazy writing. It's just unnecessarily all over the place, so someone like my non-gaming non-nerd husband would have a hard time following the story. I don't even understand why they're doing it that way. The dialog itself isn't that bad. The action is fun. I hope they get their poo poo together for next season because this was a decent start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Netflix dropped an official Timeline I guess.