Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

I get where people are coming from stating that it looks like Trump had a panic attack, but at the same time I’m honestly flummoxed on what Trump cares about enough to actually get him to worry. He acts in such a sociopathic manner towards people in general that I’m wondering if someone threatened his real estate business or something else extremely important to him. Maybe Iran told Trump his businesses would be hit? Maybe his handlers told him that a war could cause Americans to revolt and target Mar-A-Lago? Who loving knows.

Trump has been in a constant state of stress since election night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I get where people are coming from stating that it looks like Trump had a panic attack, but at the same time I’m honestly flummoxed on what Trump cares about enough to actually get him to worry. He acts in such a sociopathic manner towards people in general that I’m wondering if someone threatened his real estate business or something else extremely important to him. Maybe Iran told Trump his businesses would be hit? Maybe his handlers told him that a war could cause Americans to revolt and target Mar-A-Lago? Who loving knows.

You know, there's a part of me that thinks the veiled message about "attacks on American soil" meant "attacks on Trump properties" in code, but I don't have enough to confirm that hunch

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

His weight gain, thinning hair and increasing paleness behind his makeup are all pretty obvious

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mcmagic posted:

I'm more sure of Trump winning in November than I ever have been today.

You have been sure of that every single day and tell us repeatedly every single day.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

basically some he was offered a bunch of choices including some obvious bad ones(which are normally put in to steer presidents into not dumb choices) he picked the worst one.

Right, but why were any options presented in the first place was what I was getting at; if anyone has come out and explained (leaked) what they were truly responding to (because absolutely no way did this prevent an imminent attack).

haveblue posted:

Not since the weak tea about an imminent terror threat that everyone immediately rejected.

Yep, that’s what I figured

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean any hour any time now the Democrats or CNN might not give him enough credit for something or he might get criticized for something so gotta stay on high alert for any perceived slight. It's a stressful lifestyle when you're THAT concerned with your self-image that even the smallest perceived slight sends you into a days long tailspin of grievance that needs to be worked out via your twitter account.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So cool the Iran crisis is over I guess (for now) now back to our regularly scheduled North Korea crisis.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You have been sure of that every single day and tell us repeatedly every single day.

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/1214954903279325184

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Jay-V posted:

So it’s been a few days now, has anything concrete come out explaining why Trump actually decided to kill Soleimani? Or is it better to simply assume his moronic ego got hurt by the embassy protests.
I mean we all assume he had some evidence on trump right?

Oxyclean posted:

I've been saying it for awhile, Trump is the ultimate pointy haired boss and I don't get how Adams doesn't see it.
pointy haired boss's main traits were pointless cruelty and an inability to care.

And then scott adams got rich and discovered that he doesn't have to care about anything and it's kind of funny when people get hurt

Also the PHB used to brag about how much he was paid and how much money he had

adams sees himself in trump: unremarkable white guys that lucked into riches and decided that luck had NOTHING to do with it. they legitimately think life is easy for them because they're just so great so anyone who says life isn't easy is just whining about not being inherently great. it never even occurs to them that their life is easy because of luck. And adams had to actually do work so i don't even know why he doesn't look down on trump as he should.

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 8, 2020

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Likely he was told in no uncertain terms that he simmers this poo poo down or his firewall against removal in the Senate is gone. That happens, he loses his Presidential Immunity, his taxes and financials become public and the jig is up. At which point the only question becomes does he live long enough to spend time in jail before one of his many criminal associates manages to snuff him out to stop him from ratting them out.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Sir Lemming posted:

Well if they wanted perspective they had to have at least 1 person other than Crenshaw

:eyepop:

We need a crenshaw pop.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

InsertPotPun posted:

adams sees himself in trump: unremarkable white guys that lucked into riches and decided that luck had NOTHING to do with it. they legitimately think life is easy for them because they're just so great so anyone who says life isn't easy is just whining about not being inherently great. it never even occurs to them that their life is easy because of luck. And adams had to actually do work so i don't even know why he doesn't look down on trump as he should.

Wasn't there more than one instance where Adams verifiably was caught posting on a forum as someone else solely to talk about how smart and talented Scott Adams is? Just like Trump's spokesperson John Baron.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I really haven't. i honestly thought that he would lose until about 4-5 months ago and that any of the D candidates would beat him including Biden.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/status/1214958367980097537

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

Wasn't there more than one instance where Adams verifiably was caught posting on a forum as someone else solely to talk about how smart and talented Scott Adams is? Just like Trump's spokesperson John Baron.

yes

InsertPotPun posted:

no he credits affirmations for it aka The Secret for his success

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

mcmagic posted:

I really haven't. i honestly thought that he would lose until about 4-5 months ago and that any of the D candidates would beat him including Biden.

What about this one event makes it any different from anything else Trump has done?

Polling shows "how do you think Trump is handling Iran" is splitting exactly down trump's approve/disapprove margins.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pander posted:

What about this one event makes it any different from anything else Trump has done?

Polling shows "how do you think Trump is handling Iran" is splitting exactly down trump's approve/disapprove margins.

It's not the one event. It's a combination of state polling, the impeachment failure, the new NAFTA and the way the D primary is going.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

or... Danon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtC3hy2Kptw

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

It's not the one event. It's a combination of state polling, the impeachment failure, the new NAFTA and the way the D primary is going.

Nothing has changed about the Democrat side of the equation since 2018, which was a rout.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pander posted:

Don’t ask mcmagic to explain his dumbass feelings

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Pander posted:

In a certain light, I guess it's nice that the day-to-day feelings of people are wholly unrelated to anything that actually happens -- you could kind of take it as a sign that the people are satisfied "enough" not to have wild swings in how they think things are going... But for the most part it's horrifying to realize that the reality of everything outside of the majority of people's individual lives is completely irrelevant to them.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

ReidRansom posted:

It's a great failure of our media that no one points out how moronic he sounds during these things. Like someone reciting something they don't understand and can barely sometimes actually even say

I think we're going to look back at the media essentially ignoring a laundry list of his deficiencies similarly to how we now look back on their panic and overhyping of Benghazi and EMAILS.

It's a failure of journalism to inform the public. I think part of the problem is an honest assessment of the president can be spun as hysterics - for example, reasonable investigative pieces could be done on "Can the President read?", "Does the President believe that there are any limitations on his power?", "Does the President understand who pays a tariff?", "Is the President mentally and physically fit enough to give a basic, factual, policy talk?", "How many hours a week does the President actually spend working?", etc.

While each of those is a valid line of inquiry - and it sure seems like Trump gets a bad response for each - outlets like the WaPo may be afraid of looking petty and partisan just by asking. (And the far right cluster of media orgs will surely push that message as hard as they can.)

To the media, fear of accusations of "Trump Derangement Syndrome" may be just as powerful as fear of accusations of "Media Bias".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Nothing has changed about the Democrat side of the equation since 2018, which was a rout.

Midterms are not the same thing as general elections. But you already know that.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

InsertPotPun posted:

I mean we all assume he had some evidence on trump right?

pointy haired boss's main traits were pointless cruelty and an inability to care.

And then scott adams got rich and discovered that he doesn't have to care about anything and it's kind of funny when people get hurt

Also the PHB used to brag about how much he was paid and how much money he had

Because when your fundamental identity is tied to the idea that success = virtue questioning the virtue of other "successful" people undermines the foundation of your personal identity and that's effectively suicide of the ego and your brain will tie itself in to all kinds of knots of rationalizations to avoid that.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Have you ever read his thing where he makes you cum through the power of hypnosis
I've always been afraid to watch that video, because of course it doesn't work... but what if it does?

how could I live with myself if Scott Adams gave me the most powerful orgasm of my life through the science of hypnosis?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

Midterms are not the same thing as general elections. But you already know that.

Yes, typically Democrats smash the hell out of general at a much, much higher rate than they do midterms.

This midterm was unique because it was about Trump. The general will also be about Trump.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

T. Bombastus posted:

I've always been afraid to watch that video, because of course it doesn't work... but what if it does?

how could I live with myself if Scott Adams gave me the most powerful orgasm of my life through the science of hypnosis?

Like all hypnosis, it only works if you want it to.

Are you ready to learn about yourself today?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Things are looking up for Trump!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Things are looking up for Trump!

The most recent Ipsos also showed a HUGE gap between "strongly approve" and "strongly disapprove"

In the way that's best for "team not screaming ball of rage and evil"

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Obviously none of us should be in the business of confidently predicting that future given that we clearly live in the most insane timeline, but if this is actually where this whole dust-up ends, I definitely agree that this could turn out being good for trump on balance. It energizes his base, the democrats can't help themselves but rush to agree with the premise that Suleimani deserved to get taken out, Iran offered little and less in the way of retribution, it took the wind out of the sails behind Pelosi's impeachment strategy. It's bad, folks. Just because mcmagic is the only one willing to say it doesn't make it false that trump could easily win

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

sit on my Facebook posted:

Obviously none of us should be in the business of confidently predicting that future given that we clearly live in the most insane timeline, but if this is actually where this whole dust-up ends, I definitely agree that this could turn out being good for trump on balance. It energizes his base, the democrats can't help themselves but rush to agree with the premise that Suleimani deserved to get taken out, Iran offered little and less in the way of retribution, it took the wind out of the sails behind Pelosi's impeachment strategy. It's bad, folks. Just because mcmagic is the only one willing to say it doesn't make it false that trump could easily win

"It's going to energize his base" is what we were saying if he GOT a war, but now we're saying it when there won't be one? I don't see it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This guy had four or five tweets about how great the speech was. You gotta feel bad for these folks can't be easy walking around with brains that bad.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Like all hypnosis, it only works if you want it to.

Are you ready to learn about yourself today?
ugh why the gently caress is my tie suddenly laying flat

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

"It's going to energize his base" is what we were saying if he GOT a war, but now we're saying it when there won't be one? I don't see it.

I feel like things as they are now (ofc things could change again quickly) this feels more like something that falls out of the news cycle and doesn't have much impact down the line. If Americans were killed I think it'd be different.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

As a general point of order, I think everyone knows that the electorate should never be counted on to do the right thing. The real point of contention is: who does saying "trump gonna win" actually help? Every study I've seen on the subject has shown that constant low-level negativity is one of the single most effective ways to lower engagement among people who would otherwise have tried. It's not that any of us are unaware of the threat of an extended trump presidency and the general lackluster nature of the people we're (mostly) attempting to replace him with. It's just that there are many more useful things we could be discussing that aren't inherently toxic to our goals of making things better.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oh ffs. His base is always 100% energized to be devoted to him how many times must it be explained that it never matters how his base feels. Meanwhile polling shows that Dems, who usually are out enthused about voting by Republicans going into election years by 2 to 1 margins are tied which is huge considering Dems and Dem leaders outnumber Republican.

This whole thing will likely feel years away in like a week.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

theflyingorc posted:

He extrajudicially assassinated an extremely important Iranian general and, essentially, got away with it without retribution. It's the exact kind of nonsensical bloodthirsty poo poo they love the very most. They're not gonna give a poo poo that the Iraqis told us to leave, he ran on doing that the first time around anyway. It lines up perfectly with his isolationist nationalism + swing your big dick around and show how tough you are schtick

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

theflyingorc posted:

There is literally nothing that can ever happen that doesnt energize Trumps base, havent you heard?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh ffs. His base is always 100% energized to be devoted to him how many times must it be explained that it never matters how his base feels. Meanwhile polling shows that Dems, who usually are out enthused about voting by Republicans going into election years by 2 to 1 margins are tied which is huge considering Dems and Dem leaders outnumber Republican.

This whole thing will likely feel years away in like a week.

A large number of Democrats likely re-dedicated themselves to voting in the last few days because Trump made them feel like the world was ending, again.

This isn't even the first time in his presidency.

He extrajudicially assassinated an extremely important Iranian general and, essentially, got away with it without retribution. It's the exact kind of nonsensical bloodthirsty poo poo they love the very most. They're not gonna give a poo poo that the Iraqis told us to leave, he ran on doing that the first time around anyway. It lines up perfectly with his isolationist nationalism + swing your big dick around and show how tough you are schtick
Again, we just got done talking about how much a war was the real thing that was going to help him. This feels like some "when prophecy fails" argumentation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nobody gave a poo poo about al-Baghdadi, nobody's gonna give a poo poo about Soleimani

If it becomes a protracted thing it will matter, otherwise it falls out of the news cycle