Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
unironically yes as it is killing and inflicting misery on the poor (as intended)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Long Balls Bailey

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I think people forget what kind of country the U.K. really is - the vast majority of the population would vote to make it legal to hang benefits cheats

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is "benefits cheats" just a thing that's made up like "welfarr queen"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

yes

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Imagine The Office of the Prime Minister is four PMs on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the PM nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of PMs and takes the place of the first PM. The formerly first PM becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Brexit works the same way.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

it's almost the exact same thing really. though here in the US I think there's more of a racial component than a class one but the whole thought process behind it is basically the same

ie we live in a real life lucky ducky comic

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

me hard earnd Boris dollars, they been nicked! by benefits cheats!

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

As someone whose job involves having to know about the british welfare system (or what's left of it), it's a very minor problem that gets blown up to massive proportions by Conservatives looking for an excuse to gently caress with people in need. In the years I've been doing my job I've only seen a single-digit number of cases and all but one was purely accidental, people being caught by benefit requirements that they're not told about beforehand, by anyone.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

good timing, i was about to ask about who Labour's membership would vote for next. it's still a fairly left-wing base, right?

Dravs posted:

He also went to Oxford, which seems like a prerequisite for becoming PM now, apparently.
"now"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

get that OUT of my face posted:

good timing, i was about to ask about who Labour's membership would vote for next. it's still a fairly left-wing base, right?

"now"

yeah, you can see how none of the candidates are actually positioning themselves as electable centrists or some bullshit

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

The latest innovation to 'catch' benefit cheats in Australia is to look at people who don't have a steady income, take the week they report the highest income, assume they made that much money every week, then initiate debt recovery using the artificially inflated figure. It is then up to the recipient to prove they don't owe them money, despite social services having tax office and income reporting data to make an accurate assessment.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BurningCourage posted:

As someone whose job involves having to know about the british welfare system (or what's left of it), it's a very minor problem that gets blown up to massive proportions by Conservatives looking for an excuse to gently caress with people in need. In the years I've been doing my job I've only seen a single-digit number of cases and all but one was purely accidental, people being caught by benefit requirements that they're not told about beforehand, by anyone.
What I'm reading here is that they do it unconsciously = purely on instinct = benefit cheating is a genetic trait of British scroungers.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

If Conservatives are worried about fraud with public money, they need to stay the gently caress away from privatizing health care services. I’m in the Netherlands and it’s an absolute shitshow here.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Refried Noodle posted:

If Conservatives are worried about fraud with public money, they need to stay the gently caress away from privatizing health care services. I’m in the Netherlands and it’s an absolute shitshow here.
They are not.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I think the tories would be the ones getting excited for the fraud opportunities tbh.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Boris must plunge into war with us, you with us, us

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

Starmer doesn't seem that bad, considering. He's from an actual working class background (unlike Jess Philips) and doesn't continually shout about it (also unlike Jess Philips). He's worked with the leadership instead of flouncing off to give briefings to the hostile media, he has a reputation for competence and he doesn't seem to have any enemies, or at least he's always refrained from publically attacking colleagues, which is rare in this day and age. I don't think he's some Sensible Centrist who'll rip off his mask as soon as he's elected and shout: "Haha! Now for tepid triangulation for ever and ever!"

an easy tell for his true colors will be to see how the blairites react to him

if they just let him through then that's a massive red flag

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I just checked and only three prime ministers in history went to universities other than oxford or cambridge lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 24 days!)

Nonsense posted:

Boris must plunge into war with us, you with us, us

Trump is Mr. Brexit after all

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah, you can see how none of the candidates are actually positioning themselves as electable centrists or some bullshit

Only because Yvette Cooper hasn't announced yet

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INGP8AlnXHU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1213051224674709504

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

:cursed: replies

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Shame the people voted for pain

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Without looking, I'm willing to bet antisemitism was brought up at least once

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Avirosb posted:

Without looking, I'm willing to bet antisemitism was brought up at least once

no it's mostly just people assuming that middle-eastern sounding name = terrorist

so i guess antisemitism IS being brought up but not in the way you thought???

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1213265202646593536

lmao

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Yinlock posted:

an easy tell for his true colors will be to see how the blairites react to him

if they just let him through then that's a massive red flag

Yeah, I've subsequently been a bit put off by the fact that he's clearly the candidate that the Guardian, BBC and Establishment generally wants to see installed as leader.

Also, his response to the Suleimani assassination was exactly the type of 'both sides' poo poo that I loathe.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

marktheando posted:

I just checked and only three prime ministers in history went to universities other than oxford or cambridge lol

extreme bae PM John Major didn't even go to uni

killed Thatcher, crashed the £ out of the ERM, found all of Britain's missing cones, the man doesn't get enough recognition

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Often Abbreviated posted:

killed Thatcher, crashed the £ out of the ERM, found all of Britain's missing cones, the man doesn't get enough recognition

He was also instrumental in the NI peace process. Blair and Billy Clinton get most of the credit these days, but the initial peace talks between the Brits and the IRA that laid the foundation for the Good Friday Agreement took place on Major's watch.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
hope everyone's ready to get dragged into another dumb war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCZCv98XKFs

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Harry and meghan are stepping down as royals to 'work and become financially independent' lol

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Often Abbreviated posted:

Best Tory since Disraeli?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

oliwan posted:

Harry and meghan are stepping down as royals to 'work and become financially independent' lol

two more benefits cheats off the dole

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

fantastic news, lets work on getting rid of the rest of the monarchy now :getin:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

might it be related to harry's war against the tabloids? they're much more secure now than they've been since blair with one of their own as PM, after all

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

V. Illych L. posted:

might it be related to harry's war against the tabloids? they're much more secure now than they've been since blair with one of their own as PM, after all

nope, it's because his brother, like his dad, is a cheating oval office

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

nope, it's because his brother, like his dad, is a cheating oval office

No mean feat for a balding 30-something ginger with a beard made of pubes and a soon-to-be-gammon complexion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

BMX Ninja posted:

No mean feat for a balding 30-something ginger with a beard made of pubes and a soon-to-be-gammon complexion.

well his "dad" then