Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Ryzen 4000 7nm chips looks really sweet. I think Intel finally has real laptop competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

14" Asus laptop with thin bezels with AMD 4000 chips and RTX 2060 Max-Q with a high refresh screen (120hz), or you can get 60hz 1440p.

IIRC this will be the most gaming-performant 14" device, no? Sits pretty high on the footprint-to-performance curve, probably higher than the Stealth 13 with the 1650MQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v5IzvVTw7A

Not feeling those led holes though, that's going to get so filthy over time. I'd slap a skin on it first thing.

Linus says that's an optional feature, so, I'd skip it and save the dosh.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
My Lenovo Flex just died and I'm looking for a cheap replacement. I'm looking for something small (13/14in) to mainly use as a Plex server and occasionally lug around for boomer stuff (Netflix, Skype, Word, etc.). I was looking at an Acer Spin 5 for 600$ CAD (i5 8250) or a Lenovo IdeaPad S340 for around 650$ CAD (i5 1035G1), but they seem a bit expensive for my use case, but anything cheaper seems like a rip off (Celeron or Pentium processors, HDDs, etc.). Would you guys have any suggestions for a cheap, small laptop?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mu Zeta posted:

The Ryzen 4000 7nm chips looks really sweet. I think Intel finally has real laptop competition.

Was there anything announced for laptops in the Ryzen 3 4000 arena that's based on Zen 2? Like a 4C/8T chip?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

14" Asus laptop with thin bezels with AMD 4000 chips and RTX 2060 Max-Q with a high refresh screen (120hz), or you can get 60hz 1440p.

IIRC this will be the most gaming-performant 14" device, no? Sits pretty high on the footprint-to-performance curve, probably higher than the Stealth 13 with the 1650MQ.

Not feeling those led holes though, that's going to get so filthy over time. I'd slap a skin on it first thing.

A bunch of the laptops in Asus' proart lineup are ROG laptops with slightly different styling, too, so it might be that if you give it six months you'll be able to buy this with a plain lid and slightly less gamer-y styling as the 'proart 14' or something.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

PhallicPhalanges posted:

Some questions from a person who has never bought a used laptop before but is in the market for a presentation/word processor machine. (Looking at thinkpads t470/480)

Do they generally come with windows installed?

If not, are Microsoft office applications difficult to use in Linux? Specifically thinking of PowerPoint here.

I bought a T470 on eBay over the weekend, also as a first time used laptop buyer, on the advice of this thread. Click my post history if you’re interested, I ended up getting a very good deal and spent $350 on a Thinkpad with better specs than a $600 new one on amazon

I was working from home today and had it shipped to my office since it was supposed to be delivered tomorrow, but it came today, so I’ll post again tomorrow once I get my hands on it

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

3.5 lbs with those internals :allears:

Might have to hold off on that Prestige 14 purchase.

I feel like I've been heard through the cosmos

(You can get it without the dot-matrix top)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just wish that the 1440 panel was slightly higher refresh rate. It doesn't need to be 144, even just 90.

They did say though that it's also supposed to do adaptive sync so with that the lower refresh 1440 panel might be the ticket even at 60hz.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Ashrik posted:

3.5 lbs with those internals :allears:

Might have to hold off on that Prestige 14 purchase.

I feel like I've been heard through the cosmos

(You can get it without the dot-matrix top)

they heard the choir

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

I expected the new XPS 13 to be pricy, but they want Blade Stealth GTX FHD money. :colbert:

e: in Canada.

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes

Frog Act posted:

I bought a T470 on eBay over the weekend, also as a first time used laptop buyer, on the advice of this thread. Click my post history if you’re interested, I ended up getting a very good deal and spent $350 on a Thinkpad with better specs than a $600 new one on amazon

I was working from home today and had it shipped to my office since it was supposed to be delivered tomorrow, but it came today, so I’ll post again tomorrow once I get my hands on it

Thanks! I’ll be looking for your update

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

A few first looks ie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnHD8g4z0EQ have that Zephyrus G14 from $1500-2000 and I think I've seen one that mentioned starting at $1300, though you can't find that information on any official sites. I imagine someone at the booth gave them that number, so who knows if it'll hold up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

$2000 seems really really high for an RTX 2060 Max-Q config with a 120hz screen even if it has an 8 core processor. You can pick up 2070 max Q configs with 240hz screens all day long for less.

It's small and compact with a good metal build quality, but it's still a lower end gaming rig so they can only charge so much for it.

$1300 seems about right for the 1660ti config with whatever the lower end processor will be in this thing. I could see up to $1700 for a top end config with the 1440 panel, 1tb SSD, and 32gb ram.

It's highly probably that even Asus doesn't have the pricing quite nailed down yet.

There's still a lot we don't know about it. Does it have a second drive slot? Is the motherboard correct or upside down. Dual channel from the factory or do you need to install the second DIMM yourself?

Plus all the wildcard about the Ryzen 4000 series processors.

If it all pans out though, I could see myself picking up an RTX2060 config with the 8 core processor assuming it's priced sanely (I could see myself paying about $1500 for that config). It seems like the perfect thing to power my Oculus Quest on the go.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
God, that would be the best combination of power:weight and size, wouldn't it? I think I remember hearing that it barely tips the scales at 3 and a half pounds, talk about a featherweight VR backpack kind of deal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And it charges via USB-C at 65w, so it would be exceedingly easy to extend the life of it in said backpack.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

bull3964 posted:

$2000 seems really really high for an RTX 2060 Max-Q config with a 120hz screen even if it has an 8 core processor. You can pick up 2070 max Q configs with 240hz screens all day long for less.

It's small and compact with a good metal build quality, but it's still a lower end gaming rig so they can only charge so much for it.

$1300 seems about right for the 1660ti config with whatever the lower end processor will be in this thing. I could see up to $1700 for a top end config with the 1440 panel, 1tb SSD, and 32gb ram.

It's highly probably that even Asus doesn't have the pricing quite nailed down yet.

There's still a lot we don't know about it. Does it have a second drive slot? Is the motherboard correct or upside down. Dual channel from the factory or do you need to install the second DIMM yourself?

Plus all the wildcard about the Ryzen 4000 series processors.

If it all pans out though, I could see myself picking up an RTX2060 config with the 8 core processor assuming it's priced sanely (I could see myself paying about $1500 for that config). It seems like the perfect thing to power my Oculus Quest on the go.

We have only 2 things to compare it with IMO, the MSI Prestige 14 (14" 1080p, 10th gen comet lake i7, 1650MQ, 16GB DDR3, 512 GB storage for $1400) and the Razer Blade Stealth 13 (13.3" 1080p, Ice lake i7, 1650MQ, 16GB DDR4, 512 Gb storage for $1500 on sale, normally $1800). But those are in the super thin-and-light categories, at or under 3 lbs. Hopefully there's a cost savings in not trying to make it so vanishingly thin and light, and leaving room for the parts to breath a bit.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
In between a Dell Latitude 3301 and a Dell XPS 13 9380 at the same price point, which one is better for daily usage?
I can't find any good reviews of the former, but judging from the specs they are pretty similar, except that the XPS has less connectivty options... Anything I'm missing here?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

We've started deploying the 3301 at my company as the lower-cost laptop option. I don't use it and the users haven't issued any complaints about it, but since I'm the one setting them up the one thing that sticks out to me is fan noise. Lots of it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

PhallicPhalanges posted:

Thanks! I’ll be looking for your update

And here it is:

I feel like I got kind of hosed. The seller guaranteed a functional device and while most of it seems to be okay, the battery is 100% dead, and won’t take or hold a charge at all. The laptop only functions when plugged into a charger. This was one of the few things they explicitly said wouldn’t happen, so I am feeling very frustrated and angry right now, since the whole goddamn point of a laptop is portability.

I sent them an email asking if they’ll fix it, if not, I’ll do a return and leave negative feedback. Very very frustrated and I regret buying on eBay even though everyone here and on Reddit suggested it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If it was brand new and from Amazon and failed, like thousands of $ worth of stuff from reputable OEMs and vendors do, would you feel the same

You can do the right steps and make the right decisions and still get an outcome that's bad. Doesn't mean you hosed up.

Let the vendor respond to you before you start talking about feedback. This is a business not kindergarten.

Sorry you got a maybe bad battery tho that would irritate me as well. Have the vendor ship you a replacement asap and negotiate a discount/refund% off the original purchase to compensate your time.

Worf fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 8, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

If it was brand new and from Amazon and failed, like thousands of $ worth of stuff from reputable OEMs and vendors do, would you feel the same

You can do the right steps and make the right decisions and still get an outcome that's bad. Doesn't mean you hosed up.

Let the vendor respond to you before you start talking about feedback. This is a business not kindergarten.

Sorry you got a maybe bad battery tho that would irritate me as well. Have the vendor ship you a replacement asap and negotiate a discount/refund% off the original purchase to compensate your time.

Idk why it’s “kindergarten” to leave bad feedback when they explicitly say they test all batteries before shipping to ensure they hold a charge when they clearly don’t, but I sent them an email and an eBay message so I’m going to hold off on that if they respond and are helpful

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Kindergarten: I sold you a turd because I want to gently caress you over, ignore my 99.9% satisfaction rating and piss in my sandbox please

Business: the 99.9% satisfaction rating I have literally is what keeps my eBay store afloat, not only have I earned it for a reason but I've also maintained it

Your entire intonation implicitly suggests you feel like you erred by listening to everybody who told you the same thing, and also that you have little faith in that business to make good on a proven track record.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

In the interim, should I just buy a cheap battery? I've never had a non-Mac laptop so I've never had to buy one but I'm considering just going by my work (I'm on a big college campus) tech store to see if they have a useable one.

Statutory Ape posted:

Kindergarten: I sold you a turd because I want to gently caress you over, ignore my 99.9% satisfaction rating and piss in my sandbox please

Business: the 99.9% satisfaction rating I have literally is what keeps my eBay store afloat, not only have I earned it for a reason but I've also maintained it

I honestly don't care about the mechanics of keeping an ebay store afloat or whatever, they made a specific promise about testing batteries that they didn't follow through on. I'm tempted to leave negative feedback even if they fix it for all the loving headache this has caused already.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

bull3964 posted:

And it charges via USB-C at 65w, so it would be exceedingly easy to extend the life of it in said backpack.

It's 65W and USB-C chargeable when not using the GPU. It requires a 180W barrel connector when using it.

Still, that is an amazing travel laptop. You can keep a little GaN USB-C charger in your backpack when you are out and leave the big AC adapter in the hotel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ashrik posted:

We have only 2 things to compare it with IMO, the MSI Prestige 14 (14" 1080p, 10th gen comet lake i7, 1650MQ, 16GB DDR3, 512 GB storage for $1400) and the Razer Blade Stealth 13 (13.3" 1080p, Ice lake i7, 1650MQ, 16GB DDR4, 512 Gb storage for $1500 on sale, normally $1800). But those are in the super thin-and-light categories, at or under 3 lbs. Hopefully there's a cost savings in not trying to make it so vanishingly thin and light, and leaving room for the parts to breath a bit.

It's kinda pointless to price compare with Razer which I'm sure we both agree about. MSI had the privilege of being the only thing in the 14 inch category with a GPU so they got to set their own price (along with it being a superlight.)

I'm looking at something like the GX502 for comparison. The same(ish) Blade 15 config MSRPs for $200 more and is compromised a bit in performance (MQ graphics instead of MP, 512gb SSD instead of 1tb.) I also think their GX502 line is a bit more premium than this these are GA model devices, but who knows how much weight that holds.

From the way Asus has the specs on their site, it looks like the 120hz screen FHD option is going to be a premium over the 60hz WQHD with (of course) the 60hz FHD panel being on the bottom

So, I'm going to guess a $1300 stripper model is going to be either the 4300 or 4500 with 8gb of ram and the FHD 60hz panel with a 256gb SSD.

It's also important to note that while these are getting the 4800H as the top processor, it's going to be a modified 35w variant instead of the full 45w. It will be interesting to see how much that affects performance (i'm going to guess lower clocks when there's multiple threads going but single threaded performance will be similar.) It may be that a lower TDP won't matter that much on a 8 core chip unless you are stressing all 8 cores.

space marine todd posted:

It's 65W and USB-C chargeable when not using the GPU. It requires a 180W barrel connector when using it.

Still, that is an amazing travel laptop. You can keep a little GaN USB-C charger in your backpack when you are out and leave the big AC adapter in the hotel.

It's unclear yet if the 180w adapter is required to use the GPU at all or just to keep the battery from draining. Can AMD chips switch back to integrated graphics like optimus if they have a dGPU?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 8, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I took the battery out and blew on it and now it said it was charging for a second, got to 2%, then stopped. Anyone ever seen that?

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

Frog Act posted:

I took the battery out and blew on it and now it said it was charging for a second, got to 2%, then stopped. Anyone ever seen that?

What sort of troubleshooting have you done?

Anything like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MHj8NDErCg. There's a limited amount of things you can do without hardware tools like a multimeter or whatever. Have you taken any rubbing alcohol to the battery or laptop connections?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ashrik posted:

What sort of troubleshooting have you done?

Anything like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MHj8NDErCg. There's a limited amount of things you can do without hardware tools like a multimeter or whatever. Have you taken any rubbing alcohol to the battery or laptop connections?

Basically none other than blowing on the ports, I’m at work right now so I’m a bit limited - but thank you! I will definitely check those methods out when I get home and have some time

It stopped again so I turned the machine off and carefully cleaned all the connectors and now it’s up to 6% - now it says battery 2 is charging and battery 1 isn’t, but I thought I only had the one battery so I’m a little confused about that

For now I’m going to leave it plugged in for the 2 hours it says it needs to charge and see if it stops/doesn’t hold it when unplugged and then go from there. I found a battery on amazon I could get by tomorrow but, coincidentally, my monitor died over the weekend so I had to replace that too so I’m feeling pinched right now and would like to avoid spending another $60

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Basically none other than blowing on the ports, I’m at work right now so I’m a bit limited - but thank you! I will definitely check those methods out when I get home and have some time

It stopped again so I turned the machine off and carefully cleaned all the connectors and now it’s up to 6% - now it says battery 2 is charging and battery 1 isn’t, but I thought I only had the one battery so I’m a little confused about that

For now I’m going to leave it plugged in for the 2 hours it says it needs to charge and see if it stops/doesn’t hold it when unplugged and then go from there. I found a battery on amazon I could get by tomorrow but, coincidentally, my monitor died over the weekend so I had to replace that too so I’m feeling pinched right now and would like to avoid spending another $60

Good luck! Also, don't do the freezing thing for the lithium ion battery.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The conclusion I've come to re: dell laptop is that I don't really want to spend £3000, and can more effectively use that money building a desktop workstation and/or server. I'll keep the macbook for when I really need portability and make sure everything's syncing well so I can move between machines easily.

It's a constant fight between having multiple devices vs a laptop with multiple docks, but I think the former is winning out on cost.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Frog Act posted:

I was surprised when I got my T450s to learn that it has two batteries. One is internal and one is external. Before swapping in a SSD I had to go into the bios and tell it to disconnect the internal battery, then shut down, then take out the external battery, then do the swap. I assume this is a new normal thing for thinkpads but my last one was a T420 so I'm not certain.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

bull3964 posted:

It's kinda pointless to price compare with Razer which I'm sure we both agree about. MSI had the privilege of being the only thing in the 14 inch category with a GPU so they got to set their own price (along with it being a superlight.)

I'm looking at something like the GX502 for comparison. The same(ish) Blade 15 config MSRPs for $200 more and is compromised a bit in performance (MQ graphics instead of MP, 512gb SSD instead of 1tb.) I also think their GX502 line is a bit more premium than this these are GA model devices, but who knows how much weight that holds.

From the way Asus has the specs on their site, it looks like the 120hz screen FHD option is going to be a premium over the 60hz WQHD with (of course) the 60hz FHD panel being on the bottom

So, I'm going to guess a $1300 stripper model is going to be either the 4300 or 4500 with 8gb of ram and the FHD 60hz panel with a 256gb SSD.

It's also important to note that while these are getting the 4800H as the top processor, it's going to be a modified 35w variant instead of the full 45w. It will be interesting to see how much that affects performance (i'm going to guess lower clocks when there's multiple threads going but single threaded performance will be similar.) It may be that a lower TDP won't matter that much on a 8 core chip unless you are stressing all 8 cores.

It's unclear yet if the 180w adapter is required to use the GPU at all or just to keep the battery from draining. Can AMD chips switch back to integrated graphics like optimus if they have a dGPU?

The GX502 isn't a reasonable comparison; it's almost a full pound heavier and 1.5" wider. The kind of person looking at the prestige 14, the G14, or the blade stealth isn't going to cross shop a 13.5"+ wide 4+ pound laptop, they're going to spend the 2k because portability is that important to them.

Gaming performance in a very small form factor justifies the premium.

Edit: I should add it justifies the price if the cooling is adequate without producing ungodly noise.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 8, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, honestly $2000 doesn't sound that unreasonable for a <4lbs 14" 2060 w/>60Hz screen and 16GB/512GB internals, honestly.

You can easily pay $1500 for a 3.5lbs X1E with a 1650 if you want 16GB/512GB. $1500 also gets you the Razer Stealth, again with just a 1650. And neither of those have >60Hz screens.

I think people may be underestimating what the niche "ultralight gamer" market is willing to pay to stay under 4lbs. Hint: It's a lot.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Rexxed posted:

I was surprised when I got my T450s to learn that it has two batteries. One is internal and one is external. Before swapping in a SSD I had to go into the bios and tell it to disconnect the internal battery, then shut down, then take out the external battery, then do the swap. I assume this is a new normal thing for thinkpads but my last one was a T420 so I'm not certain.

Ah, that explains it - it seems to charge them alternately, getting each to a certain percentage and then getting the other to it, then swapping

It appears to be fully charged after stopping again and another taking it out and putting it back in, so I’m not sure if I should ask for a replacement or not

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Frog Act posted:

I honestly don't care about the mechanics of keeping an ebay store afloat or whatever, they made a specific promise about testing batteries that they didn't follow through on. I'm tempted to leave negative feedback even if they fix it for all the loving headache this has caused already.

You might want to keep in mind that you're dealing with a small business and your dollars pay directly for his grocery bill. You are not dealing with a Walmart or Best Buy where your dollars go into a giant corporate account and pay for three gallons of private jet fuel for the CEO to go gently caress Instagram models on their private island

It's worth trying to work with the guy and see if you can work it out. I'm sure he'll personally apologize over the phone and offer to overnight you a replacement. Your negative comment won't just be the worst part of his day, it'll likely be the worst part of his week and very possibly his month.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I do get that objectively he didn't do a 24 hour burn in on it and a full battery cycle test, but that's why you reach out to him and get a replacement. If that one works give him a 5 star and leave text feedback like, "first unit didn't charge, seller overnighted me a new one, this works, five stars". If the guy mails you a big old steaming poo poo, or doesn't reply for two days, then yeah rake him over the coals.

Generally in my experience the seller would rather give you a full refund and let you keep it, rather than eat the negative review

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

VorpalFish posted:

The GX502 isn't a reasonable comparison; it's almost a full pound heavier and 1.5" wider. The kind of person looking at the prestige 14, the G14, or the blade stealth isn't going to cross shop a 13.5"+ wide 4+ pound laptop, they're going to spend the 2k because portability is that important to them.

Gaming performance in a very small form factor justifies the premium.

Edit: I should add it justifies the price if the cooling is adequate without producing ungodly noise.

Not a comparison to this actual laptop, but a comparison on how Asus prices their stuff VS the competition.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

itt we lustily salivate over 14", but only if it hz

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hadlock posted:

You might want to keep in mind that you're dealing with a small business and your dollars pay directly for his grocery bill. You are not dealing with a Walmart or Best Buy where your dollars go into a giant corporate account and pay for three gallons of private jet fuel for the CEO to go gently caress Instagram models on their private island

It's worth trying to work with the guy and see if you can work it out. I'm sure he'll personally apologize over the phone and offer to overnight you a replacement. Your negative comment won't just be the worst part of his day, it'll likely be the worst part of his week and very possibly his month.

That’s fair, I was really pissed this morning due to unrelated things and that was the cherry on top, but you’re right that would be unnecessary if it’s truly that important to the maintenance of their business. I’ll work with them and maybe get a replacement because I don’t quite trust the one I have even though I’ve gotten it charging.

My feeling of vindictiveness is mostly gone but I appreciate the heads up re: the significance of even a single bad review, all the more so for being made nicely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

bull3964 posted:

Not a comparison to this actual laptop, but a comparison on how Asus prices their stuff VS the competition.

I'm just saying the pricing for this model is entirely reasonable given that the only competition which exists is the blade stealth and prestige 14. Of those, the prestige 14 is cheaper, but the reviews I've seen suggest the cooling isn't good, and the G14 is the only option for 120hz and VRR.

Honestly, 2k is potentially a steal for what it is, assuming the cooling is good and ryzen 2 is as good in mobile apus as it is in desktops.

Edit: zen2 not ryzen 2. That's what I get for phone posting

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 8, 2020