Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I can do before and after, usually. It was before, during, and after that killed me. Also the triple rhyme.

Oh yeah that's what I meant.

Also go Ken!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:drat:

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Ken dominated the first round of game 1. He'll need to keep it up (or game 1 of the first 2, not sure how to name them)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hell yeah go Ken!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what a fantastic hour

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Are we all in the tank for Ken here? I'm so glad to see he got on the board.

I think Holzhauer is the favorite, and I was kind of worried he'd just crush it, and it would be anticlimactic.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yoshi Wins posted:

Are we all in the tank for Ken here? I'm so glad to see he got on the board.

I think Holzhauer is the favorite, and I was kind of worried he'd just crush it, and it would be anticlimactic.

I think a lot of the thread regulars here were Team Brad, because he usually is just that good. Looks like him trying to emulate James with the Daily Double bets didn’t pay off today though.

And Ken wins match 1 by a hair. It seemed to me that James was getting outbuzzed a lot too, plus never getting a Daily Double certainly hurt him.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

James is such a machine... A weird, awkward machine. Ken seems like the most likeable of them so far, so I'm rooting for him then Brad.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
That was bitchin'. The writers most have enjoyed dusting off the "Too hard even for the ToC" file.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Getting a general knowledge final that Brad Rutter missed was a highlight of my night

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What happens if Ken wins the second night?

Edit: I thought it was best of three. They keep going until someone wins three nights? Which means it could be as many as seven nights?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 8, 2020

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
That was amazing. I feel completely humbled - is that what normal Jeopardy feels like for non-turbonerds?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The Human Cow posted:

That was amazing. I feel completely humbled - is that what normal Jeopardy feels like for non-turbonerds?

Doesn't seem like you're entirely humbled.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

General Dog posted:

They keep going until someone wins three nights? Which means it could be as many as seven nights?

Correct.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

General Dog posted:

What happens if Ken wins the second night?

Edit: I thought it was best of three. They keep going until someone wins three nights? Which means it could be as many as seven nights?

Yep, first to three so kind of a best of seven.

That was incredible television.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Poque posted:

Yep, first to three so kind of a best of seven.

That was incredible television.

I wish they could do that annually.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
A. Go Ken, he kicked rear end, and basically said he’s coming in wanting to win so he is giving that super determined vibe.

B. gently caress James. A little bit more human here, and yes he’s certainly playing well, I still don’t like him.

Brads cool.

In terms of the question difficulty, the first round I honestly was getting the thought of “ok, this is so hard it isn’t fun,” but then I think once you get used to the difficulty level, you keep up better (not necessarily do better) and can enjoy it more. We were skeptical, but yeah, so far so good.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They're all cool and fun. No horse in the race. Just enjoying the competition.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Go Ken!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

They're all cool and fun. No horse in the race. Just enjoying the competition.

Yeah, I can already tell this is going to be the kind of thing where I end up pulling for whoever is behind on games just to get more of it.

The website has them hard-scheduled for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday this week then Tuesday-Friday next week if necessary.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
What a great night 1. Super close and really could have gone anyone’s way. I think I’m most impressed with James, grudgingly. We knew ken and brad were smart but James is showing he can compete with the absolute best on knowledge alone. Some of those pulls, drat. I came in rooting for brad but seeing how much the win last night meant for Ken I’m even more on board with either of them winning. I’m sure they’ll highlight brad or James with their little segment tonight and I’ll be rooting for them next. I just love jeopardy!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The cool thing about going to the extremely difficult questions is it really starts to show the distinctions between the contestants. We didn't really have any idea how smart these guys were relative to each other because they're all extremely good at the normal and even ToC questions.

I want more!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

The cool thing about going to the extremely difficult questions is it really starts to show the distinctions between the contestants. We didn't really have any idea how smart these guys were relative to each other because they're all extremely good at the normal and even ToC questions.

I want more!

An entire board of triple rhyme time.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
It won't be the greatest tournament until Ken runs that horrific Roman numeral category.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm so glad Ken has finally won a game against Brad. I hope he wins the whole thing because despite his jeopardy accomplishments there's always been a sense he was never the really the best contestant, just an amazing/consistent one who was in the right place at the right time.

Huxley posted:

An entire board of triple rhyme time.

This please!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Can this just be like a whole spinoff series they do all the time? Like have the top 50 or 100 all-time, or high-scoring 3-day champs when that was the max, and just have them fight and call it uhh...Hard Jeopardy?

It's like, we could be watching the NBA but instead we're watching local YMCA basketball winners playing HORSE

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Anne Whateley posted:

Can this just be like a whole spinoff series they do all the time? Like have the top 50 or 100 all-time, or high-scoring 3-day champs when that was the max, and just have them fight and call it uhh...Hard Jeopardy?

It's like, we could be watching the NBA but instead we're watching local YMCA basketball winners playing HORSE

gleefully rubbing my hands together waiting for the inevitable losers-only tournament in this alternate universe

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I guess it doesn't really count but I believe that's the first time Brad has lost a game to anyone other than Watson.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

zakharov posted:

I guess it doesn't really count but I believe that's the first time Brad has lost a game to anyone other than Watson.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

Spokes posted:

gleefully rubbing my hands together waiting for the inevitable losers-only tournament in this alternate universe

I think a 'second chance' tournament would be cool. Contestants who got 2nd place with a high score, or who put up a good fight against people like James or Ken

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
rooting for Ken but I like all these guys. really fun TV and I hope they do it more often

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

man, i don't see how you can think james is a favorite when the daily doubles are near impossible. they've effectively made that all-in strategy waaaaaay riskier. you miss one near the end of either one of the double jeopardys and you are done for the entire match. therefore, you really don't have to play the james way anymore.

maybe each will adjust for the next matches and we'll see more realistic wagers. i know i would. ken barely eked his out. he misses, and james, who i don't think got a daily double, would've won.

slower and steadier might be the best strategy here, especially considering i think the questions might get tougher.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 8, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao imagine not rooting for Ken.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

:yeah:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I imagine we'll see similar wagering strategies from all three guys once James and Ken get more DD opportunities. James isn't out there trying to maximize his earnings per episode like he was during the regular season. And with harder questions and two-game totals, it doesn't necessarily make sense to go balls-out with the betting.

edit: other predictions: James, Brad and Ken will each win at least one more game. Brad had a strong showing in the second game of day 1. He will end up being a player in the other games.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The "bet it all on DD" strategy works on two principles: that the most important thing you can do to win a game is invalidate FJ and that you're going to get most of them right. If last night we learned the DDs are actually even harder than the board, which is already hard, they might all decide going all-in every time isn't as sound as they thought.

That said, Brad last night wasn't given much choice, he kept hitting them when he needed to make up ground and going all-in was the right call, difficulty aside.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Brad hitting and busting on all of the Daily Doubles seems like tremendously bad luck.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they 8-0 them tonight. But if they 2-6 (or whatever) again it might change the calculus.

I'm honestly just bored at work and like thinking about Jeopardy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Jeopardy won the night across all demographics including beating NCIS head to head.:toot:

Please ABC remember the lessons from Millionaire.