Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Concept: newspaper editor who has it out for Izuku, constantly running stories about Deku is a threatening menace, making situations worse and possibly setting up crimes so he can stop them and look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...you know, for an anime set in a school, UA doesn't have any clubs or extracurriculars like a school newspaper or the like.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe there's clubs and stuff but they're just for Support /Management /General Education students? I mean they could be for the Heroics students too but they're studying or working out or apprenticing or being kidnapped or in the hospital. There's no time.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Can't wait for every one to develop some sort of web-swinging-esque utility with their quirk while Sero just stands off to the side and sighs.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

YggiDee posted:

Maybe there's clubs and stuff but they're just for Support /Management /General Education students? I mean they could be for the Heroics students too but they're studying or working out or apprenticing or being kidnapped or in the hospital. There's no time.

This brings up something I may have forgotten; do we have anything on UA beyond its hero course being the most prestigious in known Japan?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GuyUpNorth posted:

This brings up something I may have forgotten; do we have anything on UA beyond its hero course being the most prestigious in known Japan?

there was a single page early on where nezu broke down everyone's class schedules, but other than that not really

we don't even have an idea about the size of the campus itself, there's the main grounds with the H-shaped towers but the entire facility is apparently so big you need a drat bus just to get to the outlying training areas

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Funky Valentine posted:

Concept: newspaper editor who has it out for Izuku, constantly running stories about Deku is a threatening menace, making situations worse and possibly setting up crimes so he can stop them and look good.

I’ll make it better: he runs stories about how Deku is a menace to himself and UA is allowing him to destroy his body in service of his death wish.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There was some fluff stuff that was released with data books we never got showing the kids class schedules and outside of the hero courses it was pretty normal Japanese school stuff.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

YggiDee posted:

These are kids who intend to spend their careers trying not to get killed by supervillains. Time spent learning anything other than that puts their lives at risk.

Although they did have the cultural festival at least.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Funky Valentine posted:

For a while I thought the School Festival arc was going to end with Gentle getting arrested and La Brava escaping and dedicating her YouTube career to ruining Deku's reputation as revenge.

That actual ending to that arc was better than my idea, but it could have been fun.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

GuyUpNorth posted:

We also know it's generally prestigious and high quality of education, not just the hero course.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
One of Deku's Quirks is going to be the ability to produce soap so he can easily clean himself after a long day tangling with villains. He'll use it to perform a new special move: the Deku Scrub.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Supersonic Shine posted:

One of Deku's Quirks is going to be the ability to produce soap so he can easily clean himself after a long day tangling with villains. He'll use it to perform a new special move: the Deku Scrub.

The Deku/Wash arc is gonna own.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm looking forward all the excuses Deku will have to come up with in order to explain each new quirk to Aizawa and the other students.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Rhonne posted:

I'm looking forward all the excuses Deku will have to come up with in order to explain each new quirk to Aizawa and the other students.

What I am looking forward to, conversely, is when Deku explains OFA to the class and their reactions.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rhonne posted:

"And so my quirk just manifests energy in new ways!"
"You just used truckinesis and turned invisible"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
All Might's totally going to die, only to come back to life inside of One for All as a Force Ghost, more powerful than Shigaraki can possibly imagine.

Junpei posted:

What I am looking forward to, conversely, is when Deku explains OFA to the class and their reactions.

Everyone accepts it and is supportive, except for Monoma who never recovers from the fact that the ex-number one hero chose someone in Class 1-A as his successor.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 9, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Everyone accepts it and is supportive, except for Monoma who never recovers from the fact that the ex-number one hero chose someone in Class 1-A as his successor.

I mean, I saw Shoto's reaction more as "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I was onto something with the love child thing! Man, Dad's gonna flip when he hears this..."

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Having the benefit of foreknowledge, Bakugo lightheartedly rags on Izuku for being a charity case. Of course, it's Bakugo, so he still looks like a smug dickhead.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

YggiDee posted:

The Olympic-level physical training regime required to fight supervillains, the combat training, the work studies, and the internships seem like they'd eat basically every bit of the students' spare time when layered on stop of what I would assume would be an honors-level academic course load, given that they're meant to be the elite of the elite.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Kanos posted:

The Olympic-level physical training regime required to fight supervillains, the combat training, the work studies, and the internships seem like they'd eat basically every bit of the students' spare time when layered on stop of what I would assume would be an honors-level academic course load, given that they're meant to be the elite of the elite.

Yeah. I mean the Doyalist reason is probably just that this is ultimately a manga about superheroics and high-school club activities would pad it out too much, but it's pretty easy to justify in-story why students on a Hero course just don't really have the time to do club stuff in the standard HS manga mold.

Alas, this means we can never have the arc where Bakugo joins the shogi club for epic, piece-smashing action and heartwarming friendship lessons.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

YggiDee posted:

Since we've already had a neat, serious spinoff - I'd like to see a goofy comedic one about the general education kids and their school clubs. It probably wouldn't be any different from any other slice of life series, but it'd be fun.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

One of the running jokes is "oh yeah this is a school" when the teachers have them do anything that isn't combat training.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I could believe the Hero courses and extracurricular activities like internships are taking place of the usual extracurricular clubs and events that every other class would have. So presumably the General Education and Business Courses have more free options in that area, whilst the Hero and Support Students instead get tasks and such relevant to their areas of future expertise.

Then people like Shinso, aiming for the Hero Course as a General Education Student, probably choose instead of clubs to do Hero Training themselves as their extracurriculars.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

NEW VIGILANTES!

I don't trust this new manager guy.

Also I can't believe Cloud, Squall, and Zidane have stooped to such petty crimes.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 10, 2020

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Rhonne posted:

NEW VIGILANTES!

I don't trust this new manager guy.

Also I can't believe Cloud, Squall, and Zidane have stooped to such petty crimes.

Could very well be New O'Clock/Number 6, since his fate after the Knuckleduster fight was left uncertain and their looks are close enough. But it's probably a bit premature to make that link yet.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I appreciate the gag of the manager being named Nomura, even if he wasn't character designer for IX.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
I was hoping they'd give Zidane a monkey tail quirk, but they never show his backside.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
After watching today's episode of the anime and hearing some peoples' fresh responses to Deku's temporary powerup, I was thinking about this fight again and I think a lot of people aren't understanding that this fight was more about Eri than Deku. This wasn't about Deku improving himself, it was about Eri improving herself. This is the first time in her entire life that someone has called her Quirk a good a thing, and that person immediately backed up those words by asking for and utilizing her help in taking down her abuser.

Deku didn't take her from Chisaki, she made the decision herself to go to Deku and accept his help.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The fight is pretty lame because Overhaul is pretty lame imo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The fight is pretty lame because Overhaul is pretty lame imo.

:yeah:

Honestly, I got kind of tired of Eri too, though I'm not really sure why. I feel bad for her situation, for sure, and I'm glad she got out of that bad situation. But the character as a whole just doesn't really do anything for me.

Maybe it was just all of the repetitive dialogue from everyone that surrounded her. "Give Eri back to me!" "I'll never let Eri go again!" "This time we'll save Eri!" (repeat every five seconds)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Episode was really good IMO

And yeah- the arc itself is less about Deku/Mirio and more about Eri regaining her agency.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the anime did help the pacing of the flashbacks a bit but I still feel like the overhaul arc is one of the weakest ones of the series. the animation got better for this episode and the final moments looked nice tho

also always thought ryukyu's dragon form looked a little goofy but I liked it way better in black and white

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I know now that the best cut of this cour has been done the car chase isn't going to get as much love, but man- I really wish they'd give the car chase a really good cut. It's a really, really cool sequence and it's Overhaul's real, ultimate comeuppance.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
With the pacing of this season, I'm worried that they're gonna try to make ALL of next season the Gentle/festival arc. I mean, I loved Gentle, but ...

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mirage posted:

With the pacing of this season, I'm worried that they're gonna try to make ALL of next season the Gentle/festival arc. I mean, I loved Gentle, but ...

We're only on episode 13 of 25 for this season, they have plenty of time to get through the School Festival.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We also have the remedial stuff to get through

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

We also have the remedial stuff to get through

That was only 5 chapters, they can get through it in 1 or 2 episodes. The Remedial Lessons and School Festival arcs are a lot shorter that the Overhaul one.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Gentle + remedial sounds most plausible, both are comparatively short. Did remedial exam arc have any good finale shot or would season end with Liberation Front teaser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
An entire episode dedicated to class Bs play.
Make it the best animation of the season.

Subbers and dubbers trying extremely hard to dodge the multiple copyright infringements in every scene.