Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Just like real life!

Nicky and Alix were...not intelligent or capable people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Geostomp posted:

Beginning to think that the Empress is not a great judge of character.

Or she’s just...drunk/high all the time. That poo poo fucks with your head after a while, lets be real here.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Makes sense that rebels toward the Russian czars would be colluding with Japan. Russia just fought a pretty big war with them the first decade of the 20th century (about ten-twelve years before the game). US President Theodore Roosevelt won a Nobel Prize for brokering peace talks. He would have made a rad Shadow Hearts character, but the game didn't go that far. I wonder if we'll see any of the eventual winners of Russia's current conflict in the game (Lenin, Stalin, and their buds). Probably not, but it'd be interesting to see what Shadow Hearts did with them.

Blanca is an approved wild dog. :)

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
No! Stay good, Kato, stay good! :ohdearsass:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Jagged Jim posted:

No! Stay good, Kato, stay good! :ohdearsass:

I think it’s time to accept that the Chin has gone to the dark side. The only question is how sympathetic of a villain he’ll be.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Dark Id posted:

Nevertheless... Even if you did save my daughter's life, we cannot allow strange people to wander around inside the castle.
To be honest, the fact that they made it all the way to my throne room without a single guard questioning their presences is a touch on the worrying side. There will have to be further reprimands...

Pretty sure that first one should be the empress.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

achtungnight posted:

Makes sense that rebels toward the Russian czars would be colluding with Japan. Russia just fought a pretty big war with them the first decade of the 20th century (about ten-twelve years before the game). US President Theodore Roosevelt won a Nobel Prize for brokering peace talks. He would have made a rad Shadow Hearts character, but the game didn't go that far. I wonder if we'll see any of the eventual winners of Russia's current conflict in the game (Lenin, Stalin, and their buds). Probably not, but it'd be interesting to see what Shadow Hearts did with them.

Blanca is an approved wild dog. :)

Might be our boy Stalin

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Gotta give this game credit, when a strange secret society cult goes through great lengths to obtain a forbidden tome of things man was not meant to know, you don't really expect them to just use the thing as a bribe.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Edvarius posted:

Gotta give this game credit, when a strange secret society cult goes through great lengths to obtain a forbidden tome of things man was not meant to know, you don't really expect them to just use the thing as a bribe.

"It's all good, I xeroxed the important parts."

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...would Kato be even able to read it? It's gotta be in, like, Latin or Greek or something like that, right? I can understand Kato knowing English and Russian, but Latin or Greek would be a little weird.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Remember he always had an interest in the occult. It'd be likely he'd learn the languages these sorts of tomes are written in from that.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

I would have thought you taller.

Russia's Greatest Love Machine is cruisin' for a throat rip with that kinda talk.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Edvarius posted:

They know it’s more trouble than it’s worth. I’d say using it as a bargaining chip is the second smartest thing to do with that book. The first is burning it.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Geostomp posted:

They know it’s more trouble than it’s worth. I’d say using it as a bargaining chip is the second smartest thing to do with that book. The first is burning it.

I dunno, burning an ancient evil book of druidic rituals and spells seems like a BAAAAAAD idea, even if it is a translated copy. Who knows just what kinda poo poo would happen by doing that. Better to lock it in a chest, encase that chest in a block of concrete, encase the concrete in titanium, etch any kind of magical ruins that would make people stay the hell away from it and then drop it into the deepest, darkest trench the ocean has.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hiding it in Wales is pretty close.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Geostomp posted:

It's from earlier on when they're off to Wales to search for it, but when Yuri's telling them about the Emigre manuscript, he actually says that he wanted to burn the thing to be done with it, but was persuaded to hide it instead. :lol:

I guess Roger was like, "Look, do you know how much it cost to bind it in a skull-shape? I'm not burning that!".

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XLIX: Puppet Show

Music: Town of Twilight ~ European Town

Yuri is back in the driver's seat. Our only objective now is to return to Anastasia's room clear on the other side of the palace's second floor. But there's one small thing we can do by heading into the Empress Alexandra's (and I guess Alexei's as well despite the single bed) quarters.

We switch back to Anastasia briefly because she'd PROBABLY be the only one allowed in her mom's room.

Is it OK if my new friends come too and we discuss how to prevent the coup of our country?
As long as you don't sneak out again tonight, young lady.
OK.

Good night, Sis. See you tomorrow!

The real reason we came into this room is to pilfer this accessory hidden behind the Empress's bed. The circlet provides +3 Physical and +8 Special Defense and is the best piece of headgear accessory available at the moment. However, like the description implies, it is only wearable by female party members. Anastasia can hold onto this. It DOES sort of belong to her mom and she is the squishiest party member at the moment.

There really is nothing else to do right now. So there's no reason to postpone the party's trip to a little girl they just met's bedroom. There are two guards posted literally outside and I doubt word has been sent out that Anastasia's colorful new acquaintances are cool to do whatever in the palace because Rasputin convinced the Empress by just going "eh, why not?" Hell, the Empress doesn't even know ANY of their names besides Edgar.

Music: ENDS. Generic ball music is heard in the distance.

Oh...
Isn't it like 4:00 AM? Russians keep strange hours...
Not like we have any room to talk...

Anastasia marches up to the window and slams it shut. Generic ball music is muffled away.

What's the big deal?
I hate that tune...
It's like a ten-second loop going forever just like all these parties. It's the worst.
So the ball has begun?
Those are some late hours to begin anything, now that you mention it.
Right?

It's every night. Every night.
Sometimes even afternoons and the occasional morning. We had three balls in one day last month...
There's something wrong with them. This whole country is insane. Maybe it should disappear...

Hang on!
The people's anger is ready to explode and we pretend nothing's going on.
I walk up to random people out on the street and they just blurt out treasonous things with no promptings. It's crazy!
We're like Nero. We keep on fiddling as the world is burning around us.
It's the same problem for all leaders. This country has gotten too big. Yep! <nods>

Hmm. Don't say that. You'll bring us bad luck.
That's right. There are a lot of people that still have dreams.

Yeah dreams... Dreams like killing me and my whole family and overthrowing us. And I'm not just talking about Rasputin. Though he is A Problem...
I worry... Someday I'm afraid the people's anger will explode and they'll burn down my palace.

NEW Music: Sadness Mood
(Yeah, kind of a bummer theme.)

He first came to the palace some years ago...

My mother was in anguish over Alexei, born with a rare and painful disease.

One day, a man came from Siberia who was said to have great powers of healing.

That was the monk, Rasputin. Rasputin healed my brother's illness and earned the trust of my mother.

Since then, he has begun to wield greater control over the country

My father himself is a kind man, but he has left too much to his ministers.

Their idea of government is one that simply keeps the people oppressed. And anger towards the emperor who allows it is threatening to boil over.

Even the war could soon be ended if my father would stand up and be strong. But there are some who profit from war and wish for it to go on forever...

If I were a man, I'd be able to help my father! <stomps foot>
In a few years when I'm older and people would take me seriously...
I wish I were in Alexei's place.
...Minus the blood disease and getting magic done by Rasputin. I don't like being around that man. You can probably tell why.
Anastasia...
Russia is infected by a disease. We're a statue, too stiff to move. <starts crying>

Yuri walks up to Anastasia and bends down.

I'm half-Russian, you know. My mother was born and bred in Russia.
<stops crying and looks up> Huh? Really?
Yeah.
...My name is frikkin' YURI! Heck, my mom almost named me "Urmanov."
...That's usually a surname, though.
Yeah. Mom was never very good at naming this. Dodged a bullet there. Why would I go by? Ur? <cringes> But hey, I have a bit of stake in this country getting by too... even if I've only been in it for the first time a couple hours ago.

So don't get so depressed, all right? If the princess gives up, everyone else will too.
Yuri...
<stands up straight, starts walking away and stretches his arms> When your father comes back, you should talk to him.

<nods> Yeah...
Yuri, did you just give a sweet and good pep talk?
...What?
I mean... that doesn't seem you....
Shuddup. What do you know?
Now *that* seems more like you.

Music: ENDS. Ominous humming begins.

Huh... Something... strange is going on...
<confused gasp>
Am I the only one seeing the umm... pink fog...?
Yep. That's the strange part, kid.

Out in the hallway, random palace dwellers start stumbling about like they're drunk and muttering to themselves.

Empress Alexandra stumbles into the room in a daze.

<reaches out randomly around the room> Alexei?! Alexei?! Where are you?!
Come back to the one bed, sweetie! I know you're near ten now and want your own room too now, but mother knows best, dear!
Mother?!

Anastasia runs up to her mother and holds her back. She takes no notice of her daughter.

Alexei?! Is that you?!
What's wrong with Alexei?! Why are you looking for him?!
And why are your pupils so dilated? And is that... drool?

Empress Alexandra shoves her daughter aside and continues to reach out to nothing while stumbling forward.

Alexei?!

Veronica is behind this too! She's cast a sleep spell on the entire palace!
She seems more drunk than asleep, but OK...
How do we remove it?
We either break the field, or defeat Veronica herself!
<cracks knuckles> I'm down putting my fist in that sexed-up bitch's face.
Yuri! Language!
...I'm sorry did she strap you to a torture machine and electrocute and whip you? I'm a LITTLE cross with her, alright?!
So why aren't WE affected by the weird perfume thing this time?
That spell only works once or twice. After that you're immune.
...OK. So why are the old man and the kid fine?
...Don't worry about that!

<breathes heavily> Ugh... Ungh...
Mother!!

Gepetto grabs Anastasia before she can run to her mother's aid. They both stare at her intently as she starts getting some evil rear end vibes coming off her.

You never want to see someone slowly turn around with the terrible posture and drooping arms pose. In all of history that has never once been a good sign of things to come.

Hehehehehe... Hehehehe... How do you like my little puppet show? It's much more entertaining than a boring old ball, don't you think?
I was not even going to play this little charade tonight. Who has time on a Sunday? But with the appearance of the Godslayer and his allies... how could I resist? I do enjoy a dedicated audience...

Why did I waste months spying on you if you were just going to go full ham evil in a single night?!
Youth is often wasted on the young.

Anastasia... I have your little brother sleeping on my lap. He's very cute. Perhaps it would be more merciful to just let him slip away in his sleep.
He may rouse from sleep when the dagger pierces his throat. But it won't be long before slumber returns. For good. Hehehe.
<struggles to break free from Gepetto> Don't you dare hurt my brother!!

<steps forward> Listen to me, shithead. I'm coming for you now.
My fist. Your jaw straight through that stupid beard. Mark it tonight on the calendar.
Very well. I'll be waiting for you here, Godslayer.
Please do try not to get too much blood on my future palace on the way here. Again, the cleaning bill is not a troublesome burden I wish to entertain.
Mhm. Smash every lackey I see's head into paste. Got it!
<deep sigh> I'll be going now.

And with that Empress Alexandra drops like a sack of potatoes and The Winter Palace has turned into our next dungeon.

Video: Episode 49 Highlight Reel
(You don't want to watch Yuri call Grigori Rasputin a shithead?)

Anastasia Romanov Concept Art - For a child character, Anastasia is alright. She's a good mix of being a pretty good kid and a total little poo poo. Just ignore the fact she's supposed to be 14 when they clearly wrote and designed her to be 10-12 tops.

Anastasia Romanov Hair Concept Art - Now you too can have a dumb hairstyle assuming you started with two-foot long pigtails.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
So is the Winter Palace going to get any bigger now that it's a dungeon? Shadow Hearts, could go either way!

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Almost certainly, there were plenty of random doors we couldn't open for whatever reason before.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
My best friend cosplayed Anastasia back when we were in high school and she did indeed have two-foot long pigtails to use for the braids. This was the first I had ever heard of the game and only ever thought of it as "that game where you have Anastasia in your party"

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I know this storyline is pretty big and important all on it's own, but I had completely forgotten about this dungeon. This game is a long motherfucker.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

The Dark Id posted:

the Empress Alexandra's (and I guess Alexei's as well despite the single bed) quarters.

Such are the european royal's family values.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Dark Id posted:

inside the castle.
Nevertheless... Even if you did save my daughter's life, we cannot allow strange people to wander around inside the castle.

[b]Rasputin and Veronica depart. A short while late...

Double "inside the castle", the bold tag isn't closed.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

Happy Landfill posted:

My best friend cosplayed Anastasia back when we were in high school and she did indeed have two-foot long pigtails to use for the braids. This was the first I had ever heard of the game and only ever thought of it as "that game where you have Anastasia in your party"

So how does the bold fashion choice of "thick fur coat and hat but no pants" work out irl? I like Anastasia's design but that looks like it would be particularily uncomfortable in every conceivable weather.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Looking at these old pics of Rasputin makes me think he could pass for an ancestor of full bearded Daniel Bryan.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Rushputin posted:

So how does the bold fashion choice of "thick fur coat and hat but no pants" work out irl? I like Anastasia's design but that looks like it would be particularily uncomfortable in every conceivable weather.

Shorts underneath :cheeky: and honestly, adding the fur trim adds to the length a -bit- so it ends up not being quite as short as it seems. We live in the PNW so the weather up here is pretty mild , so I think the costume ended up being pretty comfortable .

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Counterpoint: Nicholas II ordering Bloody Sunday makes him both cruel AND incompetent!

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Counterpoint: Nicholas II ordering Bloody Sunday makes him both cruel AND incompetent!

How else is my father too deal with treasonous peasants

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode L: Victor's Loss

Music: In Darkness of a Labyrinth ~ Dungeon

We are now forced to form a party with Anastasia being a required member. As I stated earlier, we're going to give Joachim a rest for a bit and let Anastasia take his place for the time being. We'll likely be rotating Anastasia and Joachim in the future depending on the situation (Anastasia is really good with magic, Joachim is really good with physical attacks in roughly equal degrees.)

We are also going to pump a few levels of Soul Energy into our Water class fusion as that may come in handy later in this trial. The Winter Palace has now become a hostile zone insofar as we'll be encountering random battles and a boss. To call it a dungeon is a bit of a stretch as it is quite short and there is an incredibly contrived reason why it takes us more than five minutes to go reach Rasputin doing dirt.

Perhaps the strangest part of recent events while Rasputin and Veronica were giving the entire palace magic roofies is that Gerard and Pierre have snuck into Anastasia's room as well while everyone was busy with the Empress being a flesh sock puppet for the mad monk's evil monologue. I suppose we should talk to them and see what the hell...

We want to help! After all, this is our chance to snag the imperial family as our best new customer!
Guards!
...Oh right. Darn.

Now, don't ask such uncouth questions! You know you're secretly glad to see me! Now, then...
I'm in a shopping mood today!

We are indeed in a shopping mood today. Specifically, we'll be getting a new weapon for Blanca as he is the only one in our core party that is lagging behind in current weaponry.

A couple of grand in Cash nets Blanca a woodworking tool to sharpen his teeth and claws to the tune of +59 Physical and +61 Special Attack. Sounds unpleasant.

Technically, Lucia and Gepetto both have new weapons upgrade available as well but ehh... we're good. You can take a look at 'em at least.

Anyway, we'll just leave the unconscious empress with the portly clockmaker and two merchants that broke in while the castle is under siege by a wizard's spell for potential profit. I'm sure it'll be fine.

If you'll recall Rasputin's words when we confronted him in the palace throne room, he said we could find him in the Lion's Shrine. Presumably, he's still hanging out there. We haven't been given directions to where the heck that is, exactly. But remember the locked door north of Rasputin's bedroom where Veronica went back when Anastasia was introduced? It's there. In theory, we should be able to go one hall north of here and cut across the throne room hallway to get there in a jiffy. In practice... there is an unconscious guard blocking the way and... that's that! Yep. The door isn't locked or anything. There's just a guy passed out in the way and it would be a violation of his personal space to roll him aside.

OK. Fine. We'll just go back to the main foyer and cut across to the eastern halls that way.

Except there is also a guard slumped over here and Anastasia refuses to step over him. This is the contrived reason they're going with this dungeon taking twenty minutes instead of just two.

Instead, we're going to have to go downstairs to the first floor western hall and go that way to cut across the back of the palace because the guard formerly stationed there just wandered off in some sort of daze instead of dropping over like a sack of potatoes and barring the path.

This leads us to a new second set of stairs in the back of the palace. There is still another path here yet again barred by a ragdolled soldier's body. Are all of the royal guard malnourished or something? All the other party guests just got put into a stupor but every single sentry is out light a light in the most inconvenient of places. Speaking of inconvenience, this wouldn't qualify as a dungeon if it didn't have the obligatory random battles.

Music: Vicious 1915 ~ Battle in Europe

The Pendulum that attacked Anastasia has now become a common enemy. They're literally just the same thing we already fought so we'll just ignore them other than acknowledging they're here now and will participate in Combos if left to their own machinations. They should be targeted first as they're by far the strongest thing around here.

New to the swarm of monsters, which Rasputin apparently unleashed upon the Winter Palace on top of casting a spell to knock out all the guards and get everyone else mega high, which all seems detrimental to this scheming frankly, are these odd crystal goblins -- Quartzback. They're Earth elemental critters with 85 HP. They do have a couple of common Earth magic spells but mostly they try to initiate Combos and just hit people with their big dumb crystal limbs. They tend to group up in bunches of three and can be easily nuked by a decent AOE spell in the opening turns.

If you want to know the origin of their name... uhh... it's because the they have quartz... on their back...

Also new are these Wormgaur, a 107 HP Cyclops worm doofus of the Wind Element. These guys just spam a fairly powerful Wind spell -- Gail Spark. Much like the Quartzback, these tend to bunch up in groups of 2-3 and can be decimated by a decent AOE spell right off the bat. Not much to them at all.

Wormgaur is a nonsense name. Unlike in the original game, most enemies in Shadow Hearts 2 stick to a faithful translation of their mythological names. But here they completely changed it from its original Japanese title of "Awd Goggie" which is a Scottish incarnation of "Old Boogey" and is the origin of the Boogey Man concept aka adults being assholes to kids scare them straight so they don't run off by themselves like dumb kids or steal poo poo out of other peoples' yards. The original description of it was a giant hell caterpillar that'd erupt from the ground and ate children if they hosed about. So yeah... I guess this checks out.

In any event, we don't have to worry about too many random battles. Despite having to take this really stupid roundabout route to our destination, this dungeon is maybe twenty minutes with random battles included barring the boss battle. After the over two hours of St. Marguerite Island last go, I'll take it.

Before we continue to our destination upstairs, we can duck into a back storeroom the looks as though a Resident Evil block-pushing puzzle should be hiding out in. But in actuality, the only thing hiding out is another Magic Crest in the back upper-left corner of the room behind a sheet draped statue.

I got drunk once with some friends and watched the Netflix Will Smith movie Bright as a goof once and that was a cinematic crime.

We can now head upstairs to find yet another palace guard sleeping on the job. For reference, just south of here is where we started in Anastasia's room. Two morons drunk on the job on either side of the door caused all this delay. There better be a ticket to a Siberian gulag with their name on it after this crap.

And the door up here leads us to that connecting hall past the throne room. Good thing the guard here previously also just evaporated thanks to Rasputin's magic and wasn't an unmovable sack of dead weight on the other side of the door or we'd be in a real pickle.

Unfortunately, the door to the Lion Shrine is still locked. I can't believe Rasputin lied with his invitation like that. It seems we need to track down a key and the most obvious spot for it, in Rasputin's room right next to the door, is also blocked by a sleepy guard body.

So obviously, the solution is to go to... the corridor to the south and enter a random room on the right that is only noteworthy because they put a save point next to it... That save point has always been there, but I guess we know WHY it is there now.

Anastasia and her new friends enter the chambers to find...

The man you saw...?
He was conspiring with Rasputin before that monster showed up and I met you all.
So we should probably punch this guy repeatedly, huh?

drat! I've been spotted. Prepare to fight, Princess!
Yeah, probably...
Gathered as much.

Music: Glint of Light ~ Mid Boss in Europe

OK. Time to fight of the boss of the Winter Palace dungeon... this rando flunky! Even though he is never given a name in dialogue (he will continue to just be named "Assassin" the entire game) apparently his name is Victor and he's a chief member of Sapientos Gladio even if none of the other top members of the group beyond Rasputin ever acknowledge or interact with him. Sure, why not? Victor has brought along another Pendulum with him. I don't know why Rasputin seemed irritated we killed the one sent after the princess when apparently this jabroni can poo poo out several dozen more of 'em on a whim.

Victor is a Fire class enemy and for just being... a dude... he is surprisingly durable with 1800 HP which is just a little over a hundred HP shy of Lenny after he transformed into a crazy demonoid form and had been a reoccurring villain since the opening of the game. Sapientes Gladio's loving accountant here took me twice as many turns to beat since he has decent resistance to physical attacks and isn't slow as molasses like Lenny was and it's a little bit offputting. Lenny deserves better.

Anyway, our first order of business is to just annihilate that Pendulum in the opening turns. Otherwise, it will buff Victor's magic attack output and try to perform combos that are mildly devastating if left unattended.

We'll also go ahead and fuse Yuri with Mahrae to get that extra Water class damage output. We have to rely a bit more on raw damage output here and not setting up sick nasty combos since Victor again is surprisingly speedy and getting a whole party combo is just not in the cards this go around.

Victor on his own is not that problematic. He has a pretty decently damaging two string physical attacks that can cause Seal and that's a problem since it basically means someone needs to waste a turn to heal up whoever got all their abilities sealed. Blanca got that new Wolf Bout ability that could negate that but this dick kept targeting my good dog and that was irritating. He also seemed to like targeting Anastasia who is weak to his element and has the smallest pool of HP at the moment and that could be a problem.

This guy just sucks!

His only other ability is using Magma which has a pretty wide rear end area of effect range. Which is another thing that makes Combos against him a problem since it tends to leave everyone in the range of Magma and that's a future turn wasted on an Arc Cure.

Beyond that, the guy just takes forever to beat up. He's not a threat at all. It's still four vs. one and we can negate any damage he does the next round. I liked Lenny. He was a good crappy mid-boss character. This character portrait-less loser immediately overshadowing him is crap.

Ironically, the ability Anastasia stole from his Pendulum familiar is by far the most damaging technique we can use against him. Nice work, idiot. You played yourself!

Music: Result ~ Victory

SIX turns against Victor, Who Hates Mondays the random NPC that was considered a capital B boss fight in this game. C'mon!

He does drop a new Crest which just has an ability we've seen in the past. I REALLY need to double-check Solomon's Key when we're done with this chapter. We have to have something else unlocked. But we're not going to worry about that now because that was actually the last main quest fight of this rather long chapter.

We also get another of Lucia's Oils if we were to ever use her again. Maybe one day. Maybe. This unlocks some new Aromatherapy concoctions. Mixes include:

• Night Oil + Ocean Oil = Small amount of MP restored for one turn. 25 MP.
  • Night Oil + Grass Oil = Small amount of MP restored when used. 20 MP.
  • Night Oil + Misty Oil = Small amount of MP restored for two turns. 30 MP.
  • Ocean Oil + Night Oil = Medium amount of HP restored for one turn. 30 MP.
  • Grass Oil + Night Oil = Small SP-DEF boost for three turns. 20 MP.
  • Misty Oil + Night Oil = Protection against Status Abnormalities for three turns. 30 MP.

Goddammit, I'm going to have to do an increasingly longer list every time I get one of these stupid oils, huh? Why did I ever pivot to also being informative with these LP things? Mistakes were made a decade ago.

Anyhow, everyone but the poor, abandoned this chapter Joachim had a Level Up drop. Sorry, buddy. You're still cool. We'll tag you back into the ring in the future. We actually need you to be in decent shape for end game sidequests and hell, current game side quests. Great Gama is still out there in the squared-circle.

Aww hell!
Yeah, shoot. He got away!
Naw... it's another bad guy dickhead that can teleport.
That's the part you are concerned about?
Look. I've had bad experiences with teleporting villains, alright...?

After Victor unceremoniously appeared and just as unceremoniously disappeared he left a glowing shiny key object in his wake. And what do we have here...?

Why, it's the key to the Lion Shrine, of course. Just what we needed! I'm not sure why they didn't throw that our way after the boss battle directly. But hey, we got there...

Tune in next time for our confrontation with Rasputin! Surely it will be the final one. A dropkick WILL literally go down in the next scene. Stay tuned...

Video: Episode 50 Highlight Reel

Assassin Victor Concept Art - This dweeb got concept art and a proper character portrait they just never used?

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
Poor Yuri. At least before it was mostly actual threats who teleported, not the Rent-A-Mook the Villain hired to do a job.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I feel like Victor's the guy that everyone acknowledges but nobody notices in Sapientes Gladio. He's just always in the background, bringing people coffee and doing gofer jobs for everyone, and nobody actually knows his name or interacts with him outside of work. If we hadn't kicked his rear end here, eventually he would've gotten told by Lenny or Veronica to get coffee for the umpteenth time and snapped when he realized they don't even know his name. After years of working together.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Remember the Paladin enemies from St Marguerite Island? Victor is a palette swap of those guys. Yet another insult to Lenny’s memory!

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

OminousEdge posted:

Poor Yuri. At least before it was mostly actual threats who teleported, not the Rent-A-Mook the Villain hired to do a job.

One of the more underrated dark ritual spells for evil wizards, trolling people with instant teleportation.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Victor is a basic bitch flunky with all of Nicolai's smugness and none of the respect. Of course he's not going to have a portrait.

Then again, Nicolai's rightful place in the world is in Victor's shoes. The guy struggled against little toy ducks in a backwater village and barely succeeded in hitting Yuri with the mistletoe. Lenny for all his status as dumb muscle is still a pretty cool guy with no insight into the darker machinations of his crew and Veronica is Rasputin's squeeze with a talent for magic that leaves nothing to be desired. What the hell prestige does Nicolai have in this alt-history anime villain org?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

nicolai's a white mage and rasputin knows drat well if you want your jrpg party to go anywhere you need one of those

also if you're going to con royalty into believing you have magical healing powers then treating your actual magical healer well sounds like a good idea

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wasn't Nicholai going to be the main character in a first draft of the game script, then they realized 'gently caress it, Yuri is great'?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Wasn't Nicholai going to be the main character in a first draft of the game script, then they realized 'gently caress it, Yuri is great'?

That’s what I heard. When they changed gears, Nicholai was turned into a smug, vain little worm of a villain that only succeed thanks to an overpowered stick just to be as unlikable as possible. If true, it shows that somebody higher up in the developers must have really hated the idea of him replacing Yuri.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Geostomp posted:

That’s what I heard. When they changed gears, Nicholai was turned into a smug, vain little worm of a villain that only succeed thanks to an overpowered stick just to be as unlikable as possible. If true, it shows that somebody higher up in the developers must have really hated the idea of him replacing Yuri.

I don't know why they dropped the idea of Nicolai being the protag anymore than anyone else, but word on the grapevine is that after the initial press releases and first screenshots were leaked, the fans raged so hard about Yuri being dropped that the development crew changed things around just to appease them.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Shitenshi posted:

I don't know why they dropped the idea of Nicolai being the protag anymore than anyone else, but word on the grapevine is that after the initial press releases and first screenshots were leaked, the fans raged so hard about Yuri being dropped that the development crew changed things around just to appease them.

And yet he was left out of FtNW, and a sequel that was already destined to be bad became even worse.

Maybe, MAYBE Yuri could have saved that drat game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

...! posted:

And yet he was left out of FtNW, and a sequel that was already destined to be bad became even worse.

Maybe, MAYBE Yuri could have saved that drat game.

If this post here is too spoilery, let me know and I'll black bar the poo poo out of it.

FtNW had two problems, mainly that the transformation upgrade mechanics were more troublesome than they needed to be whether it was the different fetishes being scattered in sidequests that you might not be assed to do otherwise and getting the required soul energy to power up your transformations to be reliable on a consistent basis in such a relatively short game meant you practically could never run from battles or had to complete most of the sidequests to compensate, and the good ending in addition to being kinda creepy, also relied upon powering up all your transformations to max and thus required a shitton of grinding and sidequest completion.

Other than that though, it was good enough. I guess the only real problem people had with the story was it's more comedic aspects though, which are even more amped than this game and it's predecessor compared to Koudelka.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 8, 2020