Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Boxman posted:

Wait how does it get above 200

some teams are banning sylas as well to stop the aphelios ultimate

Slaapaav posted:

maybe buying them when they have a clear purpose is the true way?

are you implying that sometimes having vision control is not useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
im implying the gold spent on control wards can delay your items enough to have more of an impact on the game than vision control

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

vision is worthless in the weekend meta

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Slaapaav posted:

im implying the gold spent on control wards can delay your items enough to have more of an impact on the game than vision control

Time spent dead delays your build a lot more

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Slaapaav posted:

vision gets you gold by letting you kill other people and not die to ganks

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I totally would have won that game if I didn't spend that 75 gold on a pink ward.

- Nobody, Ever

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'll see if I can track down the screen shots but, when I was good at the game, I used to have thirty pink wards a game. They stacked to three and I would buy 3 every back

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

pink wards are some of the most efficient gold purchases because the absence of revealed players on pink wards is in of itself information, and they can last like 10 minutes if you put them in the right bush. even just 4 minutes of knowing the enemy mid laner is not roaming bot is huge for removing uncertainty on bot lane plays - it lets you confidently push into tower and get plates, immediately making back your investment and further snowballing the lane.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I totally would have won that game if I didn't spend that 75 gold on a pink ward.

- Nobody, Ever

That actually is a way you can lose top lane on your first back, assuming you can't afford a 300-400g component because you got the ward, then you lose a fight by 5% hp that the longsword or cloth armor would of made the difference in and it snowballs the entire lane for the next 20 minutes.

Then there are the times you place it, get pushed to tower, then lose the pink within a minute to the top laner or the enemy jungler walking through and then that's a 105g swing.

But yeah pick up pinks mid game whenever you got the spare 75 and a inventory slot and remember that nobody checks the new bushes they added for pinks.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if you know you have less stats because they bought a combat relevant stat and you didnt just, dont fight them until your next back? that's a pretty common situation in bot lane regardless of pink ward status, which you shouldnt be putting somewhere contested if you need to fight over it but probably should be using for jungle vision early.

that's like me saying components are bad because if you bought them on a reset before a big objective fight instead of wards you got picked. edit: i feel like we all have enough common sense to know not to buy 150 gold worth of pink wards before we walk to lane at level 1 and dont need that argument.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 8, 2020

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'll see if I can track down the screen shots but, when I was good at the game, I used to have thirty pink wards a game. They stacked to three and I would buy 3 every back

dam, can't believe the last time you were good was season 3.....

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

Their clear purpose is to remove vision from the enemy team, which is always needed.

Dumb q: How do control wards remove vision?

Also if every League player could stop calling them ‘green’ and ‘pink’ wards for my personal benefit that’d be great thanks

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AndrewP posted:

Also if every League player could stop calling them ‘green’ and ‘pink’ wards for my personal benefit that’d be great thanks

A control ward disables and reveals any enemy wards within its range, so you can destroy them and remove the vision they have in that area. A sweeper does the same thing, but doesn't provide vision of its own in exchange for being able to cover a much wider area.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

AndrewP posted:

Control Wards disable and reveal enemy wards (excluding enemy Control Wards) in a radius around them after they're placed. You mainly use them at strategically important locations - such as the Baron pit - to remove enemy ward vision and force them to move into the fog of war with limited information.

One thing to note that's not immediately obvious: attacking an enemy ward that's revealed by a Control Ward or Sweeping Lens will reveal whatever player is attacking the ward. It can sometimes be beneficial to avoid attacking a ward if it's already been disabled by a Control Ward.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AndrewP posted:

a pink ward shuts off all vision wards in the area around it. so if you have a ward placed down and someone comes and puts a pink next to it, you can't see in the area of that pink anymore, and any ward that is being swept with a red trinket or inside the vision of a pink ward (or revealed with various items) can be "swept" ie, they can be targeted and attacked and destroyed. killing a ward gives a little gold, and in cases like where you found one with a temporary vision denial item like a sweeper you should kill the ward because it gets turned back on when that effect is over. pink wards live until someone kills them and just whole cloth shut off wards.

one thing that isnt entirely made clear by the game is that when you attack a ward that is being denied vision by a pink ward you're very briefly given vision. so in a circumstance where you need to deny vision on an objective (baron, dragon) to prevent someone from attempting to snipe it when its low, you dont want to attack anything a pink is shutting off. i guess they're red? idk they've always been called pink wards and i am colorblind.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

i guess they're red? idk they've always been called pink wards and i am colorblind.

They are red yeah, they used to be pink before they were called control wards so it's one of those things where old players just keep using the old name to confuse new players.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
does anyone have a map of secret good spots for wards or am I fine to just keep putting them in choke points and at dragon/baron

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bleck posted:

does anyone have a map of secret good spots for wards or am I fine to just keep putting them in choke points and at dragon/baron

The best warding tip I ever got was to ward right on the wall for drake and baron, because no-one sweeps there. Right around here.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

njsykora posted:

They are red yeah, they used to be pink before they were called control wards so it's one of those things where old players just keep using the old name to confuse new players.
I think it's less that and more, they're pink wards because back in the day you could buy green wards (regular ones) and pink wards. And then they added trinkets.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

old players just keep using the old name to confuse new players.

I fuckin knew it

It actually makes learning this poo poo hard, at one point I thought there were 5 types of wards - yellow, green, ‘stealth’, pink, and red.

Also I just learned that “throwing” in LoL means something different than it does in any other sport

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

there are actually spots in the baron pit you can ward that a lazy pink in front of the pit don't see. the very tipy top back of the pit, and i believe the bottom left corner.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I think it's less that and more, they're pink wards because back in the day you could buy green wards (regular ones) and pink wards. And then they added trinkets.

That's...literally what I said. They used to be pink and old players keep calling them that.

rabidsquid posted:

there are actually spots in the baron pit you can ward that a lazy pink in front of the pit don't see. the very tipy top back of the pit, and i believe the bottom left corner.

Back of the pit is actually another really good one, especially on red side because a lot of players will accidentally aggro baron when trying to clear the ward if they actually see it.

AndrewP posted:

I fuckin knew it

It actually makes learning this poo poo hard, at one point I thought there were 5 types of wards - yellow, green, ‘stealth’, pink, and red.

Just wait until you learn jungle and have to deal with raptors, wraiths, chickens and razorbeaks.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

njsykora posted:

That's...literally what I said. They used to be pink and old players keep calling them that.
No, what you were saying is that the reasoning is to confuse new players, instead of it being the name people were calling it from 2009 - late 2015.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

No, what you were saying is that the reasoning is to confuse new players, instead of it being the name people were calling it from 2009 - late 2015.

As an old league player I want to confirm.everything I do is to confuse new players so this poster is wrong

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

AndrewP posted:

The fact that yellow trinket puts out green wards is probably a poor choice. At least pink wards and red sweeper are similar in function and color.

...how is the games readability for color blind folk, anyway?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Boxman posted:

The fact that yellow trinket puts out green wards is probably a poor choice. At least pink wards and red sweeper are similar in function and color.

My yellow trinket puts out a poro with an arcade stick.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

better than it used to be. they fixed the loading screen to show which side you're going to load on. it used to be an indistinguishable red/blue/purple color, which was allegedly two different colors that showed what side you were loading on.

some skill shots are wholly invisible sometimes which isn't great but it's on a per skin basis.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
River spirit nami q and true damage Senna q have the most unreadable hitboxes on them and it's insane to me they got greenlit to go out

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So played my first game as Olaf and my god can he get ridiculous. Even though I died to the enemy Rengar early and he took both scuttles, Olaf farms like a monster and then is strong enough in dueling that he can be reasonably confident in just going into enemy jungle and stealing camps or catching low health enemies in transit. I got two kills because I was in the enemy jungle right as Rengar got low trying to gank our Singed so I could just ambush him in his jungle and get the easy kill.

Having wards in the enemy jungle is incredibly useful, especially if you're a jungler. If you see the enemy jungler on a ward, you can go to the other side of their jungle to get camps or try and do a gank on the other side of the map where they cannot do anything about it. Plus, it lets you use the enemy jungle as another path to approach the enemy lane to get ganks in the first place.

Vision wins games my dudes.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Luna Was Here posted:

River spirit nami q and true damage Senna q have the most unreadable hitboxes on them and it's insane to me they got greenlit to go out

True Damage Senna in particular has some frustratingly hard to read abilities. I think they did too much style over readability with it and maybe they will go back and tone it down

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Elentor posted:

Your posts are the worst posts I've read in this thread and they have been eclipsing logic and common sense ever since you got Gold and started believing you're some enlightened guru of League of Legends. Out of all the really spacious posters who take all attention to themselves because they manage to make everyone indignant about their shitposting, you're by far the unfunniest too.

The more you post the less I can decide if you're a troll or the worst case of Dunning-Kruger this thread has seen in years.

Lmao

You took the words out of my mouth, Elentor.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
ive got two people from work into playing. they made accounts and we did 3 games of coop vs ai. they both got tons of kills when they played warwick but struggled playing sona, ez and annie. it was pretty fun overall. maybe we will play more tomorrow they both seemed to have fun with it

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Madness took hold of my brain today, and I decided I would try to play the actual game of League of Legends for the first time in five years.

This was how I learned that Twisted Treeline has been deleted.

That's my story, thanks for listening.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

inthesto posted:

Madness took hold of my brain today, and I decided I would try to play the actual game of League of Legends for the first time in five years.

This was how I learned that Twisted Treeline has been deleted.

That's my story, thanks for listening.

What's Ur ign let's play videogames. Only later on around 6-9pm est

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

jimmydalad posted:

So played my first game as Olaf and my god can he get ridiculous. Even though I died to the enemy Rengar early and he took both scuttles, Olaf farms like a monster and then is strong enough in dueling that he can be reasonably confident in just going into enemy jungle and stealing camps or catching low health enemies in transit. I got two kills because I was in the enemy jungle right as Rengar got low trying to gank our Singed so I could just ambush him in his jungle and get the easy kill.

Having wards in the enemy jungle is incredibly useful, especially if you're a jungler. If you see the enemy jungler on a ward, you can go to the other side of their jungle to get camps or try and do a gank on the other side of the map where they cannot do anything about it. Plus, it lets you use the enemy jungle as another path to approach the enemy lane to get ganks in the first place.

Vision wins games my dudes.

I should learn Olaf. I have this kickass Brolaf skin i got from Twitch but I never really jungle other than when I get autofilled and pick Amumu because he's dead easy.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

They call it pink wards for same reason anime fans call their shows by japanese names even if everyone else knows it by its english name. Example Shingeki No Kyoin instead of just Attack on titan. It's more important to feel special than to be understood.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Midig posted:

They call it pink wards for same reason anime fans call their shows by japanese names even if everyone else knows it by its english name. Example Shingeki No Kyoin instead of just Attack on titan. It's more important to feel special than to be understood.

the perfect take

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Midig posted:

I feel like I’m constantly surprised by what you come out with next. Nah, it can’t be that some people have played this game for years and we’re familiar with them as pink wards before they were changed. It has to be because they’re stroking their egos.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

@Serv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svensken
May 29, 2010
I only just now realized they changed the pink ward icon

Also, green wards are no longer a thing as of this preseason patch, since they removed Kleptomancy and with it the only means of obtaining them.