Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
She had one episode dealing with leftover Astronema poo poo. Otherwise about the only time her past was really ever referenced was when they entered Captain Mutiny and she said she had never heard of the guy.

This is obviously going to be up to opinion, but I much prefer Karone rather than Cassie in that role, because Cassie already was part of two ranger teams and wouldn't seem the same without either TJ or Ashley around. Karone was a blank slate and what little they did give her background (apparently Andros and Karone were scheduled to become rangers since they were small children, as Andros asks her if she remembers dreaming about being rangers at some point) kind of made it dickish that she got half an episode as an "Honorary Power Ranger" (which basically means being Billy in Zeo) before Darkonda redressed her into DS9's Mirror Universe Kira with a side helping of Borg Queen.

It actually felt like they closed a circle on giving her a ranger journey with only one episode of MY DARK TRAGIC PAST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
WELP
Ninja Storm Red had wife beating problems.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12226212

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 17, 2019

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

gently caress. Very much worth a read. Has a lot from his wife's pov.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Need to start vetting red rangers a little better.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

quote:

The June 2018 incident was also not the first time Magasiva had been before the courts with hints of family violence.

He was earlier convicted for drink driving three times, the latest occurring after an argument with Lizz in October 2017 as they hosted a children's Halloween party.

Magasiva, who had been drinking wine, left on his motorcycle for his brother's house after a quarrel with his wife.

But when he decided to return a police car was waiting outside his home.

As a result, in March 2018, the actor was sentenced to 80 hours' community work, 12 months' supervision and disqualified from driving for 13 months for the drink-driving conviction.

But it wasn't long before he was back before the courts again.

Just a few months later he was charged with driving a vehicle contrary to his limited licence after being caught driving along State Highway 16 on August 1 last year.

Magasiva was fined $400, ordered to pay court costs of $130, and disqualified from driving for six months for the breach.

His two other drink-driving convictions came in 2003 and 2005.

quote:

"One time when he lost his licence for drink driving in 2017, he had a fit of rage and when Elizabeth tried to stop him driving his motorcycle, he proceeded by running over her foot and burning her leg and foot. A neighbour saw what had happened and rang the police."

Sadly, Sadler said, the seriousness of Magasiva's domestic violence issues came to a fore during a breakfast with his granddaughter earlier this year.

"That morning Laylah proceeded to demonstrate and tell me that Pua had placed his hands around mummy's neck indicating that he had tried to strangle her.

Welp all of this is loving awful. Sounds like he had a long history of alcoholism, domestic violence, and drunk driving. The kid demonstrating domestic violence to her grandfather is just heartbreaking.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He is the one who died earlier this year from depression/substance abuse related suicide right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He is the one who died earlier this year from depression/substance abuse related suicide right?

That's the one, yeah.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Wasn't the one who died the guy who played the Red in Hurricaniger, not the one from Ninja Storm?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No. This is the NS actor,

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

drrockso20 posted:

Wasn't the one who died the guy who played the Red in Hurricaniger, not the one from Ninja Storm?

That guy’s alive. Probably confusing this event with when Dairanger green killed himself the other year.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Here’s some news:

Current rumor is that Ryusoulger is the next sentai to be adapted.

High Res pictures of the next wave of Lightning Collection. Expected release in Spring. I’m mixed on this one. Blaze and Trini are pretty much perfect. Jack looks good, but they messed up the helmet. And Rocky...poor Rocky.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Liar Lyre posted:

Here’s some news:

Current rumor is that Ryusoulger is the next sentai to be adapted.

High Res pictures of the next wave of Lightning Collection. Expected release in Spring. I’m mixed on this one. Blaze and Trini are pretty much perfect. Jack looks good, but they messed up the helmet. And Rocky...poor Rocky.

That's got me reasonably interested. Though tbh reading that article mostly reminded me that they got Austin for this year's half of Beast Morpher and i'm super excited. Jason is gonna scream It's Morphin' Time. :3:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That's got me reasonably interested. Though tbh reading that article mostly reminded me that they got Austin for this year's half of Beast Morpher and i'm super excited. Jason is gonna scream It's Morphin' Time. :3:

Speaking of which, any word yet on when the second half of Beast Morphers is supposed to start?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is kind of nuts

https://twitter.com/nocontextranger/status/1214590322447130624?s=19

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Hopefully that's the start of PR toy sales picking up. They haven't been good. Like, even for a declining industry, they're still off.

Craptacular! posted:

That guy’s alive. Probably confusing this event with when Dairanger green killed himself the other year.

What, really? I thought it was cancer?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess a lot of that is from scalpers since she's going to be the hardest one to find at retail.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Beating out Mandalorian stuff is what's really impressive.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I know some people here said Kyuranger wasn’t good, but I really like those designs.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I know some people here said Kyuranger wasn’t good, but I really like those designs.

The suit designs are the only good part of the series. The mechs, monsters and plot were all quite bad.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The only good part? Someone has forgotten about our sweet boy, Shou Lonpo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The only good part? Someone has forgotten about our sweet boy, Shou Lonpo.

What about best boys Balance and Naga?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The opening is real good

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kyuranger has a lot of good things!

it's just really bad at actually using them and ultimately wastes them. But at least it's still something you can watch every week without learning to hate it. It doesn't invoke anger, just disappointment, and it's really sad that this is something I have to point as a positive in a modern Sentai.

And even through all of that, it at least gives genuine development to Naga and Stinger who are really good characters and have great boyfriends as well. Though ultimately all of them are kicked to the background so Red and White (Formerly Red) can shine instead, a situation I'd describe as "unlucky".

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Coq au Nandos posted:

The suit designs are the only good part of the series. The mechs, monsters and plot were all quite bad.

KyuRenOh (and to a lesser extent RyuTeiOh) on its own is super rad, and still one of the better ways to deal with hotswappable robot components that get used a maximum of twice throughout the show's run.

Unfortunately, the show tried to combine the robot with more robot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kyuranger has a lot of good things!

it's just really bad at actually using them and ultimately wastes them. But at least it's still something you can watch every week without learning to hate it. It doesn't invoke anger, just disappointment, and it's really sad that this is something I have to point as a positive in a modern Sentai.

And even through all of that, it at least gives genuine development to Naga and Stinger who are really good characters and have great boyfriends as well. Though ultimately all of them are kicked to the background so Red and White (Formerly Red) can shine instead, a situation I'd describe as "unlucky".

You could drop Green, Yellow, Cyan, Original Red, and maybe Blue and Pink and you'd have a solid cast that's fleshed out and meshes well. Yeah, that means no female characters. That's how relatively poorly they were utilized in what's ultimately a tv show aimed towards little boys to sell toys handles female characters. This is despite its partner series getting better at using and incorporating female characters as active agents in the plot and developing them.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Whoa whoa whoa, you can't drop the Food MaStar, the truest heart of the series.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
It me, the guy that likes all the Kyurangers, and their mecha.

Except Lucky. Shut up, Lucky.

There's the bones for a really good series there, but it would be more difficult to adapt, so I can understand why Hasbro isn't going that direction.

Plus we all want ToQger. No I will not be taking further questions.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd adapt ToQger by making the city an experiment in mass transit, like how Beast Morphers is an experiment in energy generation. And make the villains thinly veiled fossil fuel advocates

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They should do Kyuranger just for the unmorphed suits because the Champ and Raptor suits are good as hell, and frankly both deserve better-served characters in them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Caphi posted:

They should do Kyuranger just for the unmorphed suits because the Champ and Raptor suits are good as hell, and frankly both deserve better-served characters in them.

One reason they might skip out on Kyuranger?

I'm not sure how well those suits have actually held up

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My understanding is Kyuranger is being skipped because no one wants to deal with a cast that big

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Understandable since Kyuranger didn't really want to deal with a cast that big.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So the second issue of the Power Rangers/TMNT crossover came out and well now we have Shredder with Green Ranger powers

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I remember reading a few years ago a Chip Lynn interview where he basically said writing for 10 Rangers in Dino Charge was a pain in the rear end. Adds support to why they might be skipping Kyuranger

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I remember reading a few years ago a Chip Lynn interview where he basically said writing for 10 Rangers in Dino Charge was a pain in the rear end. Adds support to why they might be skipping Kyuranger

To be fair, Kyoryuger couldn't handle it that well either (dealing with big casts does not appear to be Toei's forte it seems, and that doesn't just apply to Sentai).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Decided to re-listen to Ranger Danger covering Countdown, and one of the hosts said something that made me pause and I wonder what others think: When the Z wave is about to pop off, is Eliptor doing a Standard "What? No!" shock stance, or is he trying to shield is Leader/Daughter from the blast?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

MisterBibs posted:

Decided to re-listen to Ranger Danger covering Countdown, and one of the hosts said something that made me pause and I wonder what others think: When the Z wave is about to pop off, is Eliptor doing a Standard "What? No!" shock stance, or is he trying to shield is Leader/Daughter from the blast?

....you never saw that? REALLY? It is so obvious, that isn't a random stance dude.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JesusSinfulHands posted:

After like 6-7 Rangers, the rest become special guest stars, basically.

Like "We need help! Call Prince Vysperion! OH NO HE'S OFF AT THE ROYAL CONFERENCE! YES, thankfully that Mysterious Ranger that appears whenever Jr Commander Badguy is gone is here!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

It's absolutely the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Siegkrow posted:

....you never saw that? REALLY? It is so obvious, that isn't a random stance dude.

Astronema never learned to DODGE.