Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Phobeste posted:

What does RSO do that's different from the railworld setting? Other than not turning off biter expansion I suppose

It's a completely different placement algorithm. You can do some cool stuff with the settings like having large regions (defined by chunks) that contain multiple patches of copper or iron, but not both, and a chance for stone/coal/oil/uranium in all regions. It's highly configurable if you delve into the source a bit. The GUI options let you define region sizes but not the relative chance of each ore showing up.

Vanilla has far fewer knobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

necrotic posted:

It's a completely different placement algorithm. You can do some cool stuff with the settings like having large regions (defined by chunks) that contain multiple patches of copper or iron, but not both, and a chance for stone/coal/oil/uranium in all regions. It's highly configurable if you delve into the source a bit. The GUI options let you define region sizes but not the relative chance of each ore showing up.

Vanilla has far fewer knobs.

Oh cool. For some reason I thought railworld settings kind of obsoleted it.

Content: still kind of frustrated with TSM. Trains seem to get stuck at depots occasionally, with a requester stop set up after the infinite wait at the depot but... stuck in that infinite wait. Not sure if I’m doing something wrong. Kinda wish I’d done LTN.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ass_Burgerer posted:

EDIT: Was having big performance issues when moving. The mod "Dirt Path" is to blame.

Is there any way to make a mod that changes the ground tiles as pollution rises? Trees change to dead trees over time already, but the ground and water stays the same... I want my factory's surroundings to look disgusting. But so far, it seems there's no mod that does that.

It's understandable in a way, the actual coding part behind doing tile changes isn't that difficult, but making new ground sprites (unless you primarily want stuff mostly degrading down to deserts, or something / using existing assets.) is a lot of work.

Nauvis Day is slightly relevant, though it doesn't manage tile changes.
It does have a thing where water gums up and sludges up to a point where it can jam pumps, but I suspect all it does is disable pumps in super-heavily polluted chunks, as opposed to turning the actual water into thick, toxic, globbing sludge.

But yeah, larger changes to the world over time is a thing that's pretty interesting in concept.
(Since the developers added tile polling in a patch a bit earlier this fall, it's actually possible to do stuff like polling the elevation of a tile, and slowly flooding the world through global warming. But large scale tile changes are pretty expensive cpu wise. )

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Megabase Update:

I finally got my green circuit sub factory built so things are starting to accelerate and I'm getting excited.

Have things changed with red circuits though? I thought it was 1 copper wire per 6 red circuits, but the planner says its 2.5 per 6. Did I mess something up?

How do you handle supplying your outposts with ammo and your trains with fuel? When my base was small I just had a requester chest for each and bots brought stuff to each train since it was all right there. Now the different subfactories are all over the place. I was thinking of making a bunch of stops called 'Fuel' that are disabled unless the drop-off has 3+ Nuclear fuel in it. That way I could just tell a train to go to 'Fuel' and drop stuff off and it should automatically go to whichever was low.

Could that work for ammo too? I don't know how to make this work so one train supplies all the rounds, artillery shells, walls, repair kits, and turrets needed for outposts.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Travic posted:

How do you handle supplying your outposts with ammo and your trains with fuel?

Even without LTN I always had depot stations set up where refueling takes place, or I had refueling at all unloading stations, sort of depends on your base layout. Without LTN you would simply have to have a third stop for every train with something like 'wait for 5 seconds of inactivity' which is plenty to get refueled since the actual refueling is considered activity I think.

As far as ammo to the outposts, I've only ever used single item trains so I have never done trains with multiple items, although it would be simple enough without LTN to have different stuff go into the wagons on the train at the loading station by simply using a single item per wagon, or if it's a dedicated train (not using LTN in other words) you could block off all of the cells of each wagon only allowing specific items to be loaded. I do that for my construction trains where I have a requester chest for each item with a stack inserter and they can only insert until the cells allowing for that item are filled. On the unloading side you would need to use filter inserters to unload the train to specific belts, or you'd need to have a post-unload filtering system of some sort to get the items where they needed to go. If you are using a warehouse mod that would be fairly simple to do on the warehouse outputs.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

The Locator posted:

Even without LTN I always had depot stations set up where refueling takes place, or I had refueling at all unloading stations, sort of depends on your base layout. Without LTN you would simply have to have a third stop for every train with something like 'wait for 5 seconds of inactivity' which is plenty to get refueled since the actual refueling is considered activity I think.

As far as ammo to the outposts, I've only ever used single item trains so I have never done trains with multiple items, although it would be simple enough without LTN to have different stuff go into the wagons on the train at the loading station by simply using a single item per wagon, or if it's a dedicated train (not using LTN in other words) you could block off all of the cells of each wagon only allowing specific items to be loaded. I do that for my construction trains where I have a requester chest for each item with a stack inserter and they can only insert until the cells allowing for that item are filled. On the unloading side you would need to use filter inserters to unload the train to specific belts, or you'd need to have a post-unload filtering system of some sort to get the items where they needed to go. If you are using a warehouse mod that would be fairly simple to do on the warehouse outputs.

Ok. That's what I've gone with so far. I have supply trains with locked slots for various things and bots sort it when it gets offloaded at an outpost. I was hoping I could set it up so that a train only gets sent when an outpost needs something. It gets low on artillery shells or something so a train automatically gets sent.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Travic posted:

Ok. That's what I've gone with so far. I have supply trains with locked slots for various things and bots sort it when it gets offloaded at an outpost. I was hoping I could set it up so that a train only gets sent when an outpost needs something. It gets low on artillery shells or something so a train automatically gets sent.

You can turn off train stops with the circuit network, so if you have a dedicated refueling stop in your outpost, you can enable that only when it runs low on something.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Travic posted:

Megabase Update:

I finally got my green circuit sub factory built so things are starting to accelerate and I'm getting excited.

Have things changed with red circuits though? I thought it was 1 copper wire per 6 red circuits, but the planner says its 2.5 per 6. Did I mess something up?

This is including the wire needed for green circuits. If you're shipping a completed intermediate product into your build (via bus/train/whatever) you can click on the icon in the planner to disable that product, which will remove its requirements from the totals.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Bonfire Lit posted:

You can turn off train stops with the circuit network, so if you have a dedicated refueling stop in your outpost, you can enable that only when it runs low on something.

drat. I've been avoiding really using the circuit network. Time to remember how to make logic circuits.

Roflex posted:

This is including the wire needed for green circuits. If you're shipping a completed intermediate product into your build (via bus/train/whatever) you can click on the icon in the planner to disable that product, which will remove its requirements from the totals.

That was it. Thanks.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Does it make sense to try and remove bots circulating in the network to improve UPS a little when you're running over 50k bots? It doesn't seem to do a lot, and i keep running into the issue that the network runs out of bots and then the whole factory chugs for some time while catching up again.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Large networks probably aren't good for UPS on their own, regardless of bot count.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Bots that are just sitting in a roboport waiting for a task don't seem like they'd cost any ups.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

necrotic posted:

Large networks probably aren't good for UPS on their own, regardless of bot count.
That appears to be true, mainly because bots appear to come from all over the base to do their tasks, instead of a nearby roboport. Good thing i've started partitioning out things.

Jabor posted:

Bots that are just sitting in a roboport waiting for a task don't seem like they'd cost any ups.
I guess i just need to build a LOT more roboports to actually house all of them then. I'm pretty sure right now i don't actually have the capacity. Wish there was a way to measure this.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, robots don't necessarily prefer close tasks. Smaller individual networks will require fewer bots and use less UPS. If you're already using trains they are a good way to transfer goods between networks. Have individual sites for all your components or finished goods instead of one mega network.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This may just be the game where I finally launch a rocket, after nearly 100 hours of combined playtime.

Biters are contained.

I expanded before my local ore patches ran out.

Purple science is automated.

My huge solar farm is enough to power my entire factory 24 hours a day--and about 50% more. I have a huge steam network to cover any gaps if my accumulators start to run out overnight.

Next steps:
-Upgrade from yellow belts
-Signal the iron and copper train routes to enable multiple trains to run at once, allowing me to multiply my production of both.
-Scale up green chip production; lack of green chips is ultimately stifling my production of red chips, which stops me from making blues.

At this point it really seems like my bottlenecks are going to be ones of scale, not ones of collapse. Victory seems inevitable!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

In my continuing quest to make sure that I never get to a rocket launch without at least one death, today I discovered a new way to die without using trains or waterfill. Today I jumped out of my tank while it was still rolling, and managed to get it to run over me, instantly killing me. haha.. I'm such a klutz..

Set up my first ore enrichment/smelting setup (Krastorio).. drat is it going to take a lot of ore to support any sort of real massive production of plates. This piddly little line eats up about 2.5 yellow belts of ore and delivers just a tiny bit more than 1 yellow belt out in plates. It was a good pilot though, as I learned where the bottlenecks were and how to deal with them. Dirty water being the kind of biggest pain as that tiny trickle of plates requires 3 filtration plants to handle the waste water, plus of course handling all the stone, which I'm currently just turning into landfill with an assembler on site just to consume the stone rather than having it fill up the warehouse (which is there if I forget and the landfill fills up the big chest it's feeding).

My train network is beginning to take shape, my giant new depot with 26 train slots is all set up and fed with solid fuel, 12 trains w/cargo wagons and 2 with fluid wagons are deployed, although none of them are actually running yet, they are ready!

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

necrotic posted:

Yeah, robots don't necessarily prefer close tasks. Smaller individual networks will require fewer bots and use less UPS. If you're already using trains they are a good way to transfer goods between networks. Have individual sites for all your components or finished goods instead of one mega network.

Yeah, one thing in Factorio I would kill for is some way of creating localized logistics networks, or at least some way to manage connections between roboports like you can with electrical poles.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Travic posted:

drat. I've been avoiding really using the circuit network. Time to remember how to make logic circuits.

Auto-refilling fuel stops are just about the easiest "circuit" to set up. You can take advantage of the facts that 1) trains will skip disabled stops, 2) if a train only has one enabled stop, it will wait there indefinitely, and 3) you can have multiple stops with the same name, but if all but one are disabled, it will only go to that stop.

First, the fuel train schedule:
[L] Fuel, wait until Full Cargo Inventory (or Time Passed especially if you're trying to fill it with nuclear fuel and haven't got production fully ramped up yet).
[U] Fuel, wait until Empty Cargo Inventory or 1 Second Inactivity

(Adjust station names for your convention, I like to tag stations with [L] for loading, [U] for unloading, [P] for passenger, etc. to make them easier to find in the station menu and it just looks better overall.)

At [L] Fuel, obviously set this up to load your fuel train. It only needs to be a 1-1 (or 1-1-1 if double-headed).

At the places you want fuel delivered, set up a [U] Fuel station. Depending on how fuel is distributed at the station (bot vs. belt) you probably want different station conditions. Bot-based is easiest, have the train unload into providers and set the station logistics condition to Enable when Fuel > some number. This will depend on the type of fuel and how much buffer you want. You also want to cap the chests and if using nuclear fuel you probably also want to connect the inserters to the logistics network to stop them from unloading far too much.

If doing belt-based fueling you will need to wire the output chests up to the station, and then set the enable/disable condition again based on the amount of buffer you want. If still using coal, you probably want a couple thousand buffered; rocket fuel you only need a couple hundred, but be aware of how much your belts will hold as well (figure on 8 per piece of belt). If you're using nuclear fuel and trying to belt it to your trains you might want to include a loopback/return system so you don't have many TJ/PJ of fuel capacity sitting idle on belts.

And that's all you need to do. The train will pick up fuel at the [L] station, and wait for a [U] station to get below the threshold you've set. Of course the [U] stations will all be enabled when first set up, but after a trip or two by the fuel train they will reach their buffer limit and disable themselves, allowing the fueling train to either idle at the depot or start unloading into the next fueling station.

Note that out of all this, we did not need to use a single combinator and only in the case of belt-based fueling do we need to use wires. In fact, even if using belt-based fueling, you can place a single roboport by your unload station and use providers as the train unload chests, and then use the "bot-based" circuit method, without needing to put a single bot at the station.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I burned myself out making this 18K SPM Factorio Extended Plus belt base.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0qQXsUU

Then I made some Smelter updates...

https://imgur.com/gallery/3mG62PE

The latest Smelter, while pretty, was horrible for UPS with all the buffer warehouses, so I removed them all and some extraneous balancers(not pictured) and replaced them with inline titanium chests for a small buffer between trains. Making like 1.5Million/min iron plates at 58-60 UPS now. Changed signaling from stacker to drop off stations and throughput is sufficient for uninterrupted production.

After I prettied up the smelters for steel and copper to match the updated iron plate design I had planned on remaking the science base in a similar fashion but my brains is mashed potatoes going back to figuring out a decent layout which would require a lot of belt re-routing and redesigning some blocks for different input methods.

Everything running full steam gets about 40 UPS.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Just an FYI, the author of the IR mod posted that he is not working on it anymore and will not be porting it to 0.18.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hopefully someone will take up the torch. The mod has some weirdness (recycling being almost entirely pointless) but the early game addition was quite nice and I thought it brought a lot of solid extension to the early game.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

The only thing really preventing me from diving into IR/krastorio is that angles infinite ores doesn't work with their ores.

I gotta have my infinite ore cores. I can't not have it on everything.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 8, 2020

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bhodi posted:

Hopefully someone will take up the torch. The mod has some weirdness (recycling being almost entirely pointless) but the early game addition was quite nice and I thought it brought a lot of solid extension to the early game.

I kinda liked the recycling, if only for a way to dump certain items that you weren't ever going to use anymore. Was a nice excuse to have to setup ways to transfer the resulting materials back to the bus, well up until we got bots.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Freaksaus posted:

I kinda liked the recycling, if only for a way to dump certain items that you weren't ever going to use anymore. Was a nice excuse to have to setup ways to transfer the resulting materials back to the bus, well up until we got bots.

I liked it in theory and planned to use it this way, but in practice I wind up just chucking everything I don't want into incinerators.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ZekeNY posted:

I liked it in theory and planned to use it this way, but in practice I wind up just chucking everything I don't want into incinerators.
yep. If there was a universal recycler broke everything down to it's base components and say subtracted one from each (minimum of 1) as refining costs, I'd have used it. But having to generate different types of scrap that you then have to re-refine was just too much hassle for the material recovery. The time spent getting that all set up was just better spent getting more materials out of the ground.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Roflex posted:

Awesome guide

Thank you for this. It's very helpful.

Any tips for multiple items? Ie the station at some outpost is disabled unless Shells<20, Rounds<200, or Repair kits<100. If any one of them drops below the threshold then the station is turned on and train heads there.

There is a guide on the wiki but I had trouble following it. My first guess would have been to have a constant combinator output the desired amounts and then subtract <actual items> - <constant combinator>. If the result is negative then enable the train stop.

Travic fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 8, 2020

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Majere posted:

So I burned myself out making this 18K SPM Factorio Extended Plus belt base.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0qQXsUU

Then I made some Smelter updates...

https://imgur.com/gallery/3mG62PE

The latest Smelter, while pretty, was horrible for UPS with all the buffer warehouses, so I removed them all and some extraneous balancers(not pictured) and replaced them with inline titanium chests for a small buffer between trains. Making like 1.5Million/min iron plates at 58-60 UPS now. Changed signaling from stacker to drop off stations and throughput is sufficient for uninterrupted production.

After I prettied up the smelters for steel and copper to match the updated iron plate design I had planned on remaking the science base in a similar fashion but my brains is mashed potatoes going back to figuring out a decent layout which would require a lot of belt re-routing and redesigning some blocks for different input methods.

Everything running full steam gets about 40 UPS.

This is insane

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Travic posted:

Thank you for this. It's very helpful.

Any tips for multiple items? Ie the station at some outpost is disabled unless Shells<20, Rounds<200, or Repair kits<100. If any one of them drops below the threshold then the station is turned on and train heads there.

There is a guide on the wiki but I had trouble following it. My first guess would have been to have a constant combinator output the desired amounts and then subtract <actual items> - <constant combinator>. If the
result is negative then enable the train stop.

That's the right idea and there's multiple ways to do it. Easiest is to actually set the constant combinator values to negative desired amount, and then just use wire addition. Station condition would then just be Anything < 0. Extra care is required when doing this in outposts that have logistics bots moving intermediates around, as the reported quantity of items can briefly be negative between picking up an item and fulfilling the logistics request if there's no buffer.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Anyone know of a good mod that adds in trading in some way? Like, maybe a space port you build and it provides you with orders, and if you complete them you get some reward? Or even just some straight sell things to get money, then buy other things.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

This is insane

It's kind of mind blowing. Thanks for quoting that original post because I originally ready it on my phone and forgot to go back and look at the images once I was home on my computer.

I think just the smelting array area is probably larger than my entire 1000spm base which is as big as I've ever gone.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Thanks guys. I know 12 beacon designs can look like boring boxes, but I enjoy the challenge of belt routing and getting things to fit within those limitations. Most of them aren't possible without the Extended purple underground belt length, and loaders. Sometimes you just can't fit 8 or 12 inserters to supply an assembly machine.

I thought about train length first and settled on 4-16-4 for raw ore for the smelters and 4-12-4 for regular base trains(a few 2-8-2 for low volume and on-demand supply for outparcel factories like for belts, beacons, modules etc..) In this case for 18K, with Extended, 12 cargo wagons is a good multiple for the number of belts needed for the majority of the builds. For example the green circuit builds need 24 belts of copper and 24 belts of iron, red circuits need 48 belts of copper. If you scrutinize the overall science base you can clearly see that I started on the left with red circuits and worked east. I planned each build for the number of belts of the main ingredient. Some builds like the RCU's only need 3 belts worth of blue circuits total, but they get split to 18 belts because the adjacent Speed Module 1 build needs 18 green circuit belts so it's 18 rows tall. Splitting a belt with a 1-6 balancer is better than using 1 belt with 6 splitters down the line because you'll get a better distribution instead of the last row getting hardly any leftovers. That's how I worked out most of the builds. Some over produce 5%-10% but that's not a bad thing on this scale.

I was really happy when I just let it run worker cargo capacity 24 which is like 2 trillion packs or something ridiculous and it just worked without any hiccups for hours. But I hated looking at the brown ground so I started making the smelter look cool with the vanilla tiles. Sometimes the best creativity comes from working with a limited palette. Converting the science base would probably require help. Can you convert a normal save to a multiplayer?

Sheesh I tried building a pleasing 60spm yellow belt base the other day and failed miserably.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Roflex posted:

That's the right idea and there's multiple ways to do it. Easiest is to actually set the constant combinator values to negative desired amount, and then just use wire addition. Station condition would then just be Anything < 0. Extra care is required when doing this in outposts that have logistics bots moving intermediates around, as the reported quantity of items can briefly be negative between picking up an item and fulfilling the logistics request if there's no buffer.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Majere posted:

I thought about train length first and settled on 4-16-4 for raw ore for the smelters and 4-12-4 for regular base trains(a few 2-8-2 for low volume and on-demand supply for outparcel factories like for belts, beacons, modules etc..)

Purely a curiosity question - is there a reason for locos on both ends of trains? Is it just something that makes you happy or is there an actual in-game advantage for having locos at both ends?

My new Krastorio game my first few 1-2 trains were taking forever and I couldn't figure out why until I remembered that trains carry a hell of a lot more in Krastorio than they do in Vanilla, so my 1-2 trains are actually carrying as much as an x-8 train I think.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

The Locator posted:

Purely a curiosity question - is there a reason for locos on both ends of trains? Is it just something that makes you happy or is there an actual in-game advantage for having locos at both ends?

My new Krastorio game my first few 1-2 trains were taking forever and I couldn't figure out why until I remembered that trains carry a hell of a lot more in Krastorio than they do in Vanilla, so my 1-2 trains are actually carrying as much as an x-8 train I think.

Double-headed trains allow you to create drop-offs that aren't complete circles. A train can pull off the main highway into a driveway-like dead-end, deliver their payload, and back out on the main highway. Putting multiple locomotives in a direction of travel helps the train reach top speed more swiftly!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's basically a choice between double-ended and single-ended trains.

Double-ended trains don't need a loop to turn around at the end of every station, but will be slower than a single-ended train with the same number of locos and cargo wagons.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I need to find all instances of a specific type of building i placed in my game.

Is there a way to do this without manually looking at everything?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Probably doable with a mod, not sure if one exists though.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mithaldu posted:

I need to find all instances of a specific type of building i placed in my game.

Is there a way to do this without manually looking at everything?

What if you used an upgrade planner somehow?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

ikanreed posted:

What if you used an upgrade planner somehow?

I was going to say use a deconstruction planner with a Whitelist setting, but yours is a little safer in the event one actually executes the command...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

XkyRauh posted:

Double-headed trains allow you to create drop-offs that aren't complete circles. A train can pull off the main highway into a driveway-like dead-end, deliver their payload, and back out on the main highway. Putting multiple locomotives in a direction of travel helps the train reach top speed more swiftly!

Jabor posted:

It's basically a choice between double-ended and single-ended trains.

Double-ended trains don't need a loop to turn around at the end of every station, but will be slower than a single-ended train with the same number of locos and cargo wagons.

Okay, I understand the point of double-ended trains where the loco's pull in different directions. I was talking more about when people build the double-ended trains where all the loco's are going the same direction. Is that purely an aesthetic thing based on how people like their trains to look? I've always just stuck all my engines on the front end regardless of how many engines/wagons I've had, i.e. I'll build a 4-8 train instead of a 2-8-2 train.