Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Kindly requesting a goon approved app/website that’s up to date on which road’s are closed off cause of the fires. Asking because My dad’s doing a Canberra to Perth drive soon. tia lube enthusiast

This is the WA emergency site which has info on the bushfire.
https://www.emergency.wa.gov.au/#map/warning/bav_256443165/moreinfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Luneshot posted:

How flammable is a city? I would think someplace like downtown Sydney wouldn’t be at risk of going up in an inferno because of the lack of fuel, and we don’t build everything out of wood anymore.

Not a dumb question at all. Quite a few of Australia's cities have pretty leafy suburbs pretty much just merging into the bush at the outer surburbs on some sides. Our capital is basically a giant parkland with houses and other buildings occasionally thrown in here and there.

...It's a legit worry.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
There's a Bunnings Sausage Sizzle fundraiser in Bali! I don't know about the fundraising bit but...

https://twitter.com/traceyp026/status/1214854152091602944?s=20

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Shouldn't a city be able to use it's highways and major roads as impromptu firebreaks?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

golden bubble posted:

Shouldn't a city be able to use it's highways and major roads as impromptu firebreaks?

Bushfires often get big enough that they jump roads easily.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

golden bubble posted:

I think embers can blow over those, so if it's dry and/or windy enough they might not work.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

golden bubble posted:

Southern California goon here. Cities are full of things that are very flammable. It feels like people counted on fires not getting close enough to burn down cities, but that may as well have been a lifetime ago.

As far as firebreaks go though, firebreaks don't work as effectively once the wind really gets blowing. Here's an example from the Thomas Fire. Our local fire departments had units racing all over the country trying to put out small spot fires that were miles away from eachother. To make things worse the winds blew faster than the fire trucks could drive.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Good BBC piece on Cobargo.
https://youtu.be/aEptYwF0IYk
Also I'm pretty sure ember attack can occur several kms ahead of the fire front

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 8, 2020

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Quantum Shart posted:

Good BBC piece on Cobargo.
Also I'm pretty sure ember attack can occur several kms ahead of the fire front

On Black Saturday spotting was occurring up to 30km ahead of the fire front...

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Lube Enthusiast posted:

My dad’s doing a Canberra to Perth drive soon. tia lube enthusiast

No he isn't. There is currently no (sane) road connection between East and West.

I think the only open roads at the moment involve going via NT and take ~2 weeks.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The wind can be devistating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXQ20TjllSQ

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Poll info today, from back in November, indicates two thirds of the country wants drastic action on climate change. Link - https://www.news.com.au/technology/...dbaa12b3c793bd9

Presumably this number would be even higher right now.

Luneshot posted:

So, this is probably a really dumb question, but I’m an American who didn’t grow up in wildfire country.

I understand that the vast majority of destruction of human homes/lives/etc. by bushfires is typically rural areas.

How flammable is a city? I would think someplace like downtown Sydney wouldn’t be at risk of going up in an inferno because of the lack of fuel, and we don’t build everything out of wood anymore.

Would things like gas lines pose a serious risk of an urban firestorm, or would a fire typically spread slowly enough that it could be handled? I assume concrete jungle doesn’t burn the same way that famous historic urban firestorms did.

I'm about 11km from the CBD in Brisbane (that's what, 6-7 miles off the top of my head?) and I have bushland and scrub, including kangaroos. A firestorm might not reach the city, but it could absolutely burn everything around the CBD and cut it off.

Gammon fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 8, 2020

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Suddenly worrying about bushfires + all the flammable cladding.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
There was a point in December where there was only one way out of Sydney because the rest had been closed by fire. That’s a city of 5 million not having any real way of going places. I’m still surprised that the Royal National Park hasn’t gone up yet but there’s still time in the season I guess.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It's more the suburbs of Australian cities that carry the bushfire risks.
Greater Sydney sprawls all over the Sydney basin and has a lot of suburbs that are adjacent to, or even surrounded by, bushland. It also has many 'town' CBD's (Central Business Districts) along with the main Sydney city CBD that are urbanised and built up. Greater Sydney covers 12,367.7 sq km with just over 5 million people living there. As the population of Australia is 25 million it means that 1/5th of Australians live in Sydney alone.

This map shows Sydney's suburbs

It is 50km (31 miles) from the Sydney CBD in the east to Penrith in the west at the edge of the Blue Mountains.

Some suburbs of Sydney have burnt before, some like Turramurra had a fire back in November during our first 'catastrophic' fire danger rating day

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1194131148311425024

The urban parts of Sydney don't really carry a bushfire risk, just your normal city risk of fire.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

For our US friends: "CBD" is what we call a city's central area. I think it's what you'd call "downtown".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I just got an email from my mum asking if I want to go to the NSW south coast in February, i'm like "whaaaaaat"

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Hyperlynx posted:

For our US friends: "CBD" is what we call a city's central area. I think it's what you'd call "downtown".

CBD is a US term as well

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The Australia Institute did some polling on the climate emergency and how we should respond to it back in November and published their findings today.

https://www.tai.org.au/sites/default/files/Polling%20-%20January%202020%20-%20War%20footing%20for%20climate%20change%20%5BWeb%5D.pdf

The results are actually quite encouraging considering our Murdoch media and climate change denying government.

"Two in three Australians (66%) agree that Australia is facing a climate change
emergency and should take emergency action.
Only one in four Australians (23%) disagree."

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

There was a point in December where there was only one way out of Sydney because the rest had been closed by fire. That’s a city of 5 million not having any real way of going places. I’m still surprised that the Royal National Park hasn’t gone up yet but there’s still time in the season I guess.

The RNP was closed on Saturday due to the fire risk and weather conditions. if you were in Bundeena or Bonnievale camping area (near bundeenda,inside the RNP) your only route of exit would be the Bundeena>Cronulla ferry if a fire started. once you take the turn off into bundeena or mainbar you are on one road in/out.

the RNP/Bonnievale area is also quite regularly closed on summer weekends due to being at capacity. its a hugely popular area for families to go for bbqs because the beach there is very calm and shallow, lots of big trees for shade and picnic tables etc.

e: as someone who frequents the bonnievale area its hilarious that people take kids there because one year my mates and I found about 10 blue ring octopus just chilling in the rocky areas near the boat ramp about 10m away from where people let their kids play. one time I was there kids were catching them and putting them in a bucket until their parents figured out what was up and called the park ranger (who called fisheries, who basically said 'meh, we can move em but theyll swim right back' and left)

Laserface fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 9, 2020

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Helith posted:

The Australia Institute did some polling on the climate emergency and how we should respond to it back in November and published their findings today.

https://www.tai.org.au/sites/default/files/Polling%20-%20January%202020%20-%20War%20footing%20for%20climate%20change%20%5BWeb%5D.pdf

The results are actually quite encouraging considering our Murdoch media and climate change denying government.

"Two in three Australians (66%) agree that Australia is facing a climate change
emergency and should take emergency action.
Only one in four Australians (23%) disagree."

It would be interesting to see if those numbers have moved at all after the current crisis.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Looks like the Kangaroo Island fire has broken containment and could get quickly worse.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

cmndstab posted:

It would be interesting to see if those numbers have moved at all after the current crisis.

Totally, when this polling was done 'only' south QLD and northern NSW down to Sydney were on fire and the federal government were really downplaying or ignoring it.
It's got so much worse since then and since NYE the crisis has really exploded in peoples awareness both here and internationally.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hello all, thank you for your continued support of our country and of the horrific issues we are facing. Big thank you to the other goons keeping up in news while I am busy, your updates are invaluable in letting people know what is happening.

I would like to pause a moment to link this article regarding the memetic spread of some information. https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-08/misleading-fire-maps-go-viral-during-australian-bushfire-crisis/11850948

It is important for us all to remember when we share about the crisis we do our best to ensure accuracy and provide context in the information delivered. Denial of the truth and pushing heavily slanted or false information into the public for spread is the tool of those asshats denying the climate crisis that is at the core of these fires. Do not let it become ours.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Thank you

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Gridlocked posted:

Hello all, thank you for your continued support of our country and of the horrific issues we are facing. Big thank you to the other goons keeping up in news while I am busy, your updates are invaluable in letting people know what is happening.

I would like to pause a moment to link this article regarding the memetic spread of some information. https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-08/misleading-fire-maps-go-viral-during-australian-bushfire-crisis/11850948

It is important for us all to remember when we share about the crisis we do our best to ensure accuracy and provide context in the information delivered. Denial of the truth and pushing heavily slanted or false information into the public for spread is the tool of those asshats denying the climate crisis that is at the core of these fires. Do not let it become ours.

'the greenies/left are deliberately burning millions of hectares of bush and killing billions of wildlife to push the agenda of *checks notes* protecting the bush and wildlife!'

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/OliverJPocock/status/1214827739619852289?s=20

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Really good piece: https://theoutline.com/post/8508/australia-fires-climate-change-response?zd=1&zi=mk75rbzr

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

CBD is a US term as well
Oh. I could have sworn I read that it was an Australianism. Oh well.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

it boggles the loving mind that someone in this country thought this man was charismatic.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Laserface posted:

'the greenies/left are deliberately burning millions of hectares of bush and killing billions of wildlife to push the agenda of *checks notes* protecting the bush and wildlife!'

It's all these arsonists you see. Number one is that Zeus fucker and his hurling lightning bolts! Why can't he accept the only bolt Mr Murdoch likes is Andrew?!?!?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hyperlynx posted:

Really good piece: https://theoutline.com/post/8508/australia-fires-climate-change-response?zd=1&zi=mk75rbzr

Oh. I could have sworn I read that it was an Australianism. Oh well.

American reporting in, I have never heard of a CBD in my life, so thanks for explaining that.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

In 1994 which was when there were seriously bad fires in and around Sydney you could pretty much see a ring of fire in the distance from my house (around the Hills area in the north west suburbs) and I think every road in and out of greater Sydney was effectively closed off for a couple of days.

Not looking forward to the day the areas around Ku-ring-gai and the northern suburbs go up again.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Horsebanger posted:

it boggles the loving mind that someone in this country thought this man was charismatic.

He is also been going around saying the fire affected/endangered areas are still open for visitors, one of them being kangaroo Island that, just a few posts above had his fire break its containment line

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/1215048551673233415

https://twitter.com/NSWRFS/status/1215074761560285185

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Fists Up posted:

In 1994 which was when there were seriously bad fires in and around Sydney you could pretty much see a ring of fire in the distance from my house (around the Hills area in the north west suburbs) and I think every road in and out of greater Sydney was effectively closed off for a couple of days.

Not looking forward to the day the areas around Ku-ring-gai and the northern suburbs go up again.

Yeah I remember those fires and had relatives who got stuck on the north side of them cause they where on holidays at old bar near Taree. We where in the same place but came back later when things had settled but the mountains were on fire instead similar to this year.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Thomas Fire was obviously much smaller, but it works as a frame of reference for how quickly a fire can encircle a coastal city. The fire started at 6 pm in the mountains and by 9 pm it moved down several miles and was threatening to burn the entire city of Ventura. Houses at the outskirts of the city were lost, and the fire came yards away from entering and setting fire to downtown proper. The burn marks behind city hall are still visible.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I just got an email from my mum asking if I want to go to the NSW south coast in February, i'm like "whaaaaaat"

Serious talk, I'm planning on taking my family to Bermagui in April. Going to go spend my filthy mining money in local pubs and craft shops and eat my body weight in Tilba cheese.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

American reporting in, I have never heard of a CBD in my life, so thanks for explaining that.

Seconded. I've definitely seen "business district" but I don't think I've seen it abbreviated as CBD- "downtown" is far more common.

Thanks for the answers on urban fires, too. Let's hope that stays in the realm of speculation.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Andrew Forrest going all in on who can do the biggest donation, $70 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thats less than 1% of his net work lmao.

whatever we'll take it.