Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Genuinely, has there been a shitter troll in this thread than the drive-by gin wanker.

[edit] Sleepy cat tax.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Well that didn't take long.

I always had a good feeling about Harry. He seems like a good sort, for a royal that is.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Genuinely, has there been a shitter troll in this thread than the drive-by gin wanker.
Pretty loving weird of him to storm in going "I have a small penis that doesn't work" too.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Gorn Myson posted:

Pretty loving weird of him to storm in going "I have a small penis that doesn't work" too.

At least he's honest.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Imagine championing gin and tonic whilst looking down on vegan steak bakes and fruit shoots as if they arent all shite.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Has anyone else been reading some new books in the new year?

I ask because I got the Iranian book of kings for Christmas and am now worried I am on a watchlist because of it, but it is really well written mythological set up!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Imagine championing gin and tonic whilst looking down on vegan steak bakes and fruit shoots as if they arent all shite.

important extra information: Wetherspoons gin and tonic

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Sorry I shouldn't have brought up this stuff here.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Josef bugman posted:

I ask because I got the Iranian book of kings for Christmas and am now worried I am on a watchlist because of it, but it is really well written mythological set up!

https://twitter.com/yasmeenabedi/status/1214653589651521536?s=20

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Have you ever tried stuff like carl sagan?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Does someone know.. if I wanted to travel to Italy after January 31st, are we still in the EU because of the transition period or are we out and do I need to start thinking about Schengen visas?

Confused of UKMT

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Jippa posted:

Sorry I shouldn't have brought up this stuff here.

To answer your original question, PPJ was on a load of off-site Nazi discords trying to keep on eye on goons being doxxed, but was just yucking it up with said nazis instead

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Does someone know.. if I wanted to travel to Italy after January 31st, are we still in the EU because of the transition period or are we out and do I need to start thinking about Schengen visas?

Confused of UKMT

No, nobody does.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Confused of UKMT

we won’t be in the EU after 31/1 but part of the transition period agreement until 31/12 covers continued visa free travel

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Cerv posted:

we won’t be in the EU after 31/1 but part of the transition period agreement until 31/12 covers continued visa free travel

Thanks.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

To answer your original question, PPJ was on a load of off-site Nazi discords trying to keep on eye on goons being doxxed, but was just yucking it up with said nazis instead

By the crowing of right-wingers in the D&D chat thread (and here I guess) it doesn't seem exactly like a victory against nazis.

But then I didn't really see any of the posts about it.

e: Might be worth linking the thread about it if it's still up, I couldn't find it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 8, 2020

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

But it was a "genuine" attempt as in he was going "undercover" for the right reasons? Right? - That was my question.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Jippa posted:

But it was a "genuine" attempt as in he was going "undercover" for the right reasons? Right? - That was my question.

I saw some of the images of the posts and if he was undercover, he's better at it than trained actual counter-intelligence professionals

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

I saw some of the images of the posts and if he was undercover, he's better at it than trained actual counter-intelligence professionals

Ok cheers.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Private Speech posted:

By the crowing of right-wingers in the D&D chat thread (and here I guess) it doesn't seem exactly like a victory against nazis.

But then I didn't really see any of the posts about it.

e: Might be worth linking the thread about it if it's still up, I couldn't find it.

Actual thread is in the comedy goldmine, but is linked in this thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909824&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Alas, PPJ has nuked almost all of the linked images therein, but they may be re-hosted in there somewhere

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I dunno if anyone is watching Newsnight but they’re discussing the reasoning behind Harry and Meghan leaving the royal family etc and their topic of choice at the mo is whether taking legal action against the media who have used racial slurs against Meghan and their child is more damaging for the media or the royals and it’s very peak “no no it’s the children who are wrong”

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Josef bugman posted:

I have gone back to terrible Tom Clancy books which are empty dumb page turners that should probably have everyone who buys them put on a watchlist for lunatic right-wingers.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
forkboy I was trying to show josef the beauty of the universe not more neo con strikes on iran.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Jippa posted:

that's what ppj and his defenders claim but lol if you still trust anything ppj says

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jippa posted:

His username was ‘Jones’, and everyone knew who he was. He wasn’t a spy, he was a fuckin’ ambassador.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

RottenK posted:

that's what ppj and his defenders claim but lol if you still trust anything ppj says

Ok there we go sorry for bringing this up. I have no idea.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I know the royals are the royals etc but in Australia all we really see on magazines is “Meghan is a shrieking harpy!” With no real evidence of it, then “the royals hate Meghan and Harry now!”

I get the papers hatred of her- racism / she is a “low class” US / Canadian person etc. but why do they hate her internally? Or has that not really come out and the tabloids just are making stuff up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean they're weird nazi sympathizing aristos so they probably actually hate her because she's not ten generations german inbred or something but who loving knows or cares, it's a soap, a soap that people take far too seriously.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The only reactions I've ever seen in person to Meghan Markle are either indifference or positive. The only people that actively loathe her are the press. And its weird.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RottenK posted:

have you been mis-sold ppj

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Actual thread is in the comedy goldmine, but is linked in this thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909824&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Alas, PPJ has nuked almost all of the linked images therein, but they may be re-hosted in there somewhere

they're in the gbs thread about him i think since it got quoted before he could remove them even though they've been quoted a million times in cspam. there has been a lot of stupid drama on SA over the years but this is absolutely the stupidest

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jippa posted:

Have you ever tried stuff like carl sagan?

Not very into Science books, but I can always give them a go, any suggestions?

forkboy84 posted:

I have gone back to terrible Tom Clancy books which are empty dumb page turners that should probably have everyone who buys them put on a watchlist for lunatic right-wingers.

See I have never found Tom Clancy fun to read, it might turn pages but it also puts you to sleep.

Jippa posted:

forkboy I was trying to show josef the beauty of the universe not more neo con strikes on iran.

Appreciated.

Also this week seems to be a big week for drama in this little corner of the internet. I wonder why?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

teacup posted:

but why do they hate her internally?

American divorcees have caused trouble in the past, but mainly it's down to a feud between the brothers.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Josef - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pale-Blue-Dot-Vision-Future/dp/0345376595/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I would massively this recommend for you. Just go with it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Thank you, will take a look!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

teacup posted:

I know the royals are the royals etc but in Australia all we really see on magazines is “Meghan is a shrieking harpy!” With no real evidence of it, then “the royals hate Meghan and Harry now!”

I get the papers hatred of her- racism / she is a “low class” US / Canadian person etc. but why do they hate her internally? Or has that not really come out and the tabloids just are making stuff up

Apparently (and I haven't researched in detail), William cheated on Kate. Harry very much disapproved (probably because of his father's cheating on his mother leading ultimately to her early death). Not sure Kate and Meghan get on over well either. Before Kate and William married, Will played the field a bit (theirs was a bit of an on/off affair). When Kate's mother who apparently put on airs (as for example Hyacinth Bucket - Brit sitcom character don't know if you've ever seen that in Aus) visited she put her foot in it by being a bit 'common' - calling the bog the lavatory instead of the toilet or vice versa or some such nonsense which marked her down as 'not quite quite'. Photos I've seen of Brenda and Um Meghan always seem to be on good terms.

This is your UKMT Hello Magazine reporter signing off... (joking can't stand celeb goss)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

calling the bog the lavatory instead of the toilet or vice versa or some such nonsense which marked her down
The 'correct' term would be loo.

Speak like your working class nan but in a posh accent and you have true U English, because they never bothered to update any of the words since the turn of the last century.

Also use 'what?' instead of 'pardon?'

They're right about using napkin instead of serviette too.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Decision dated yesterday:

quote:

Tweet by Nick Robinson, 26 February 2019
07 January 2020
Complaint
In response to the claim of Chris Williams MP (in an interview with him earlier that day) never to have seen anti-Semitism in the Labour Party, Nick Robinson tweeted “Did you forget you’d agreed to screen a film in Parliament by a woman suspended from Labour for saying the Jews controlled the slave trade?”. A reader complained that this was inaccurate, in that the woman in question (Jackie Walker) had been the subject, not the maker, of the film, and that the phrase “the Jews controlled the slave trade” misrepresented what she had in fact said.

Outcome
Ms Walker was the subject, not the maker of the film, but this element of inaccuracy was immaterial to an understanding of the issue raised by the tweet. But her original words (in response to a friend who had raised the question of “the debt” owed to the Jews because of the Holocaust) were “Oh yes – and I hope you feel the same towards the African holocaust? My ancestors were involved in both – on all sides as I'm sure you know, millions more Africans were killed in the African holocaust and their oppression continues today on a global scale in a way it doesn't for Jews... and many Jews (my ancestors too) were the chief financiers of the sugar and slave trade which is of course why there were so many early synagogues in the Caribbean. So who are victims and what does it mean? We are victims and perpetrators to some extent through choice. And having been a victim does not give you a right to be a perpetrator”. Even allowing for the element of compression often seen in tweets, Nick Robinson’s paraphrase gave an insufficiently accurate impression of Ms Walker’s actual words.
Partly upheld

Further action
Nick Robinson tweeted that he accepted the BBC Complaints process finding that his paraphrase gave “an insufficiently accurate impression”.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/ecu/tweet-by-nick-robinson-26-february-2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The 'correct' term would be loo.

Speak like your working class nan but in a posh accent and you have true U English, because they never bothered to update any of the words since the turn of the last century.

Also use 'what?' instead of 'pardon?'

They're right about using napkin instead of serviette too.

I noticed people I consider 'posh speakers' using 'what' instead of 'pardon'. Grates on me because I was brought up that to say 'what' was rude and you had to say 'pardon'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Bloody Pom posted:

Well that didn't take long.

I always had a good feeling about Harry. He seems like a good sort, for a royal that is.

Going to bat for ironic Nazis is so last week.