Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I want more Alien movies as much as the next person.
But for the love of god...
Stop.
Making.
Prequels.

We want Xenomorphs. We want likable protagonists trapped into a near impossible to escape situation and forced to do what it takes to survive. We want the ever present threat of both bodily violation and an eviscerating death. We want perpetually quotable dialogue. We want TENSION.

I don't give a single drat about "Space Jockeys" or synthetics playing the loving recorder or how the Xeno's were made. The fact that the Xenomorphs exist out in the universe somewhere is good enough. Having an heir of mystery about their origins is a good thing. The galaxy is big. There are things we don't know about. There are monsters. We are squishy and weak. That's enough of a premise for me. It's ok to leave some stones un-turned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Seriously. It's not hard.

"Facehuggers get loose in a zoo on a space station."

It writes itself and everyone wants to see it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mind the walrus posted:

I definitely want to see some hosed up aliens

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I definitely want to see some hosed up aliens

For real.
I'm ok with Xeno's with subtle differences to show their evolution depending on what/who they use as hosts. Like the Alien Xeno, Aliens Xeno, and Alien 3 Xeno are slightly different.
Like, a Xeno hosted in a person would walk upright mostly, while a Xeno hosted in a dog would probably perfer running on all fours. Maybe the people hosted Xeno is a little smarter, while the dog Xeno is faster, or something I don't know.
Then you get to chain them, like a queen hosted in a person is smart, and her offspring hosted in a dog is smart and fast. The possibilities are endless for Xeno's to adopt certain traits from their hosts to the point where you have distinctly different genetic strains of Xeno, which are all kind of the same but differ in subtle ways that would make them a challenge for the protagonists.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

A xeno hosted in a xeno would be unstoppable. Take one for the hive, brother drone!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well now I want a video game where you play as a WY officer trying to breed powerful xenomorphs in a lab but they keep escaping and polluting your gene pool with unintentional human hosts

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Also, could we have the setup be something other than "someone wants to use the xenos as a bioweapon"?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

But what if you stack two Xenos on top of each other, like Master Blaster?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sunswipe posted:

Also, could we have the setup be something other than "someone wants to use the xenos as a bioweapon"?

Rival hives use humans as bio weapin

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

It's not necessary, but it is a super convenient device to use to write in some subterfuge that throws a wrench in the protagonists plan.

That's kinda like asking for a Jurassic Park that doesn't involve someone getting dinosaurs to use in a theme park.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

purple death ray posted:

Well now I want a video game where you play as a WY officer trying to breed powerful xenomorphs in a lab but they keep escaping and polluting your gene pool with unintentional human hosts

Like those Jurassic Park management games but with xenos? I'd be down.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jay_Zombie posted:

That's kinda like asking for a Jurassic Park that doesn't involve someone getting dinosaurs to use in a theme park.

That doesn't seem like a good analogy.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

A xeno hosted in a xeno would be unstoppable. Take one for the hive, brother drone!

I'm sure that they have some kind of instinct to not try and 1:1 the hive. Doing that means the hive doesn't grow, and since Xeno's are hive creatures, I believe their main goals are to create a hive, increase the hive, and protect the hive.
Kinda like how a virus won't infect another virus of it's own kind, I'm sure a face hugger would have no intrest in latching onto a Xeno.................

Ooooooor..... maybe they do, and that's what the inner mandibles are for. Facehugger jumps on Xeno, Xeno say's, "I'm not that kind of girl" and double jaws the hugger. That would be a pretty good explanation for the double jaw thing, besides "it's very scary". Maybe facehuggers DO try to latch onto full grown Xenomorphs, and the Xeno just uses their inner jaws to punch a hole in the hugger, killing it and preventing it from laying eggs. I can't imagine that the huggers are all that smart.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That doesn't seem like a good analogy.

If it's not, it's probably because I haven't seen very many Jurrasic Park movies aside from the first one and that one with Chris Prat and the made up T-Rex hybrid.

Edit: Also, I am bad at analogies.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 8, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sunswipe posted:

Though it ultimately wraps with the bioweapon thruline A3 at least flirts with "human views it as a divine/supernatural phenomenon and irrationally helps it along" which is a more novel spin.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mind the walrus posted:

Literally one of the scenarios on the legendary encounters expansion

Voting Floater posted:

Like those Jurassic Park management games but with xenos? I'd be down.
There's an orbital habitat dinosaur zoo. A facehugger gets in. Welcome, to Geo$ynchronou$ Park

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gently caress Man posted:

Has anyone posted the best clip from Aliens yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEnoLnq8OZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYS_8IKP9-A

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

Though it ultimately wraps with the bioweapon thruline A3 at least flirts with "human views it as a divine/supernatural phenomenon and irrationally helps it along" which is a more novel spin.

I remember one of the books doing this. A bunch of cult members suicide bomb their way into a research lab, let a bunch of their members get face-hugged, and then smuggle the implanted people across the world.
Next thing ya know, hives all over the world.
I think the xenos started adapting their nests as well, after the military started hunting them. Instead of one large hive in a given area, the xenos would have a dozen smaller ones scattered around in order to make it harder to find and kill the queen.

Completely unrelated, I was thinking about a Marvel / Alien crossover, and I had a mental image of Wolverine being captured and webbed up in a nest. He gets implanted by a facehugger, which grows and bursts out, but because of his super healing, he doesn't die. So they drop another egg in front of him. Then he gets implanted again, and rinse & repeat. If there was some way to keep him from dying of thirst or hunger, you'd have an unlimited supply of drones getting churned out by one host.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Zombie Guy posted:

I remember one of the books doing this. A bunch of cult members suicide bomb their way into a research lab, let a bunch of their members get face-hugged, and then smuggle the implanted people across the world.
I think the xenos started adapting their nests as well, after the military started hunting them. Instead of one large hive in a given area, the xenos would have a dozen smaller ones scattered around in order to make it harder to find and kill the queen.

Completely unrelated, I was thinking about a Marvel / Alien crossover, and I had a mental image of Wolverine being captured and webbed up in a nest. He gets implanted by a facehugger, which grows and bursts out, but because of his super healing, he doesn't die. So they drop another egg in front of him. Then he gets implanted again, and rinse & repeat. If there was some way to keep him from dying of thirst or hunger, you'd have an unlimited supply of drones getting churned out by one host.

Wolverine got infected by the Brood at least once

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://i.imgur.com/bmUAwDR.mp4

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Splicer posted:

Literally one of the scenarios on the legendary encounters expansion

Duh it was part of the 1992 action figure line. I read the back of the boxes back then and I'm still shocked no one with official ties to the franchise has followed up on it in a video game or movie.

purple death ray posted:

Wolverine got infected by the Brood at least once

Marc Silvestri-era X-Men had some of the dopest covers

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

I always like the "Royal Jelly" superdrug along with the posthumanism of the xeno-human hybrids that appeared in the post-Alien War comics. Funny how Dark Horse realized how assine the xenomorph concept would work as a biological weapon and came up with other ways to approach the license.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nice !

I just read Alien: Prototype. I was pretty good, I say read it. It's got an unscrupulous scientist, Zula Hendricks and Davis from her comic run, and a unique take on the Xenomorph's adaption to the genetic material of its host. See, the unscrupulous scientist runs a lot of tests, and pays workers in the colony to act as test subjects. The poor SOB who gets facehugged had previously been a test subject for a vaccine against a necromorphic virus; you go all over black spots, angry black boils, and melt until you die. He survived that because the vaccine worked, but he still had some traces of it in his system when he was infected. So the Xeno he produces is also a carrier of a really loving nasty disease. Its make up is part human and part necromorphic disease, which affects both its physiology and its behavior. The scientist calls it a Necromorph.

The novel also sets up Zula Hendricks as a recurring character On A Mission.

Solid novel with a good twist on your standard Xeno.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
That sounds like one comic which had a bunch of lepers impregnated with Aliens but due to their condition the Aliens weren't fully born or they were put into a coma like state unless the body was killed. Due to carrying Aliens the lepers could walk right up to an full adult Alien and slap them and get little more than a hiss in return.

It also had a synth that was born of both machine and alien DNA, kinda beat the whole David thing by a good many years. She had a connection to the Aliens and the lepers and were fiercely protective of both due to that Alien influence, they were both her hive in a sense. I heard she shows up in an Alien Vs Predator story later on but never read it. But then a lot of the comic stuff is kind of trash, bad stories, bad art or just repeating the same old thing as time went on. The Earth War stuff certain went places. Not to mention had to retcon Ripley, Newt and Hicks into brand new characters once Aliens 3 happened.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I just watched Aliens again today and I have a bunch of thoughts that I'll share in no particular order.

I think Lt. Gorman is on the autism spectrum and that's the primary reason why he's so procedurally driven and uptight. He totally breaks down when the soldiers stop following his orders and things break apart and Ripley starts driving the car and they stop functioning like any kind of disciplined military force.

I love Newt. I like her knowing single lines which reflect her better understanding of the reality they're in like "it won't make any difference" and when Ripley apologises to her and she says "It wasn't your fault". I love the implication that she never had the slightest illusions to begin with. Also her sleeping under the bed.

When all the marines wake up the very first thing Sgt. Apone does is put a cigar in his mouth. It's a nice touch.

I think Ripley's recurring nightmare was well done. Obviously it's the big shock false opening at the beggining but you see her have the same experience in the scene where she calls up Paul Reiser to take the job. I like the way that it shows that she needs to make sure that the Aliens are dead in order to exorcise the specter but doesn't blunting tell it. I also like that Reiser didn't say something dumb like "do you know what time it is?"

The most unbelievable thing in the film, the woman smoking in the board room!

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Prurient Squid posted:

The most unbelievable thing in the film, the woman smoking in the board room!

Just switch it to vaping, and it would fit right in again.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Prurient Squid posted:

I just watched Aliens again today and I have a bunch of thoughts that I'll share in no particular order.

I think Lt. Gorman is on the autism spectrum and that's the primary reason why he's so procedurally driven and uptight. He totally breaks down when the soldiers stop following his orders and things break apart and Ripley starts driving the car and they stop functioning like any kind of disciplined military force.

The primary reason why he is procedurally driven and uptight is because he is a junior officer that has little to no experience in the field. He's by the book because presumably that's all he knows. The soldiers stop following his orders because they don't believe he has much if any credibility. Having been in the military I knew a few fresh LTs that came in huffing and puffing their chests trying to assert themselves but us enlisted folk (who had several years more of practical real world expierence) would roll our eyes and laugh at them behind their backs.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Also the ending is the most shlock follow up to Alien imaginable if you wrote it down as a concept. How do follow up Alien? Let's have Mecha-Ripley fight the Alien Queen.

I think it's adorable that Bishop was still able to help even after he got tore in half.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Bloopsy posted:

The primary reason why he is procedurally driven and uptight is because he is a junior officer that has little to no experience in the field. He's by the book because presumably that's all he knows. The soldiers stop following his orders because they don't believe he has much if any credibility. Having been in the military I knew a few fresh LTs that came in huffing and puffing their chests trying to assert themselves but us enlisted folk (who had several years more of practical real world expierence) would roll our eyes and laugh at them behind their backs.

Yeah that's obviously it. I don't know what I was thinking before lol.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bloopsy posted:

yeah most new officers tend to be only "book smart" after getting their first commission and don't have the practical experience on how to run things on the day to day basis like NCOs.

More importantly most of them don't have a real trial fire by experience and there's lost of historical stories of officers freezing up / panic attack in their first real firefight.

Aliens did a pretty good at making the space marines be culturally realistic.

etalian fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 12, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was going to say the same thing about Gorman that Bloopsy said. He doesn't have any critical thinking skills because he's fresh out of OCS or the academy or whatever they have. That stuff comes with time and experience and he doesn't have either. So when the poo poo hits the fan he just starts going back to the book that he memorized... "I want you to fall back by squads and use incinerators..." because he can't adapt to quickly changing situations.

Gorman bad.

I do love how he redeems himself though. Goes out like a badass.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Prurient Squid posted:

Also the ending is the most shlock follow up to Alien imaginable if you wrote it down as a concept. How do follow up Alien? Let's have Mecha-Ripley fight the Alien Queen.

This is really true and a great example of how execution counts for more than concept

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

quote:

I do love how he redeems himself though. Goes out like a badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHjRQJZsUGg

Just thought it appropriate.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I think it was hypothesized earlier in the thread that the Company may have tried to pull strings in order to get a less experienced officer in charge of the team, thus maximizing the chance of having poo poo go bad.

A more seasoned officer may have just NOPED everyone out once they saw how bad the infestation was, nuked the whole shebang, and gently caress whatever the Company flunky had to say about it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Still boggles my mind that a Colonial Navy vessel would only have a squad's worth of people aboard, and also the fact they decided to only send a squad.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

The Zombie Guy posted:

I think it was hypothesized earlier in the thread that the Company may have tried to pull strings in order to get a less experienced officer in charge of the team, thus maximizing the chance of having poo poo go bad.

A more seasoned officer may have just NOPED everyone out once they saw how bad the infestation was, nuked the whole shebang, and gently caress whatever the Company flunky had to say about it.

Wasn't it outright stated that Burke specifically got Gorman appointed to the mission? Not so it would go bad per se, but so he'd have a toady he could easily convince to go along with retrieving the aliens.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Zombie Guy posted:

Ok what you just described there is somebody's jerkoff fantasy somewhere.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Hey, y'all remember that movie Aliens? It was pretty loving awesome.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So I ran Chariot of the Gods from the Alien RPG today on a Discord server. Fun quirks of the 21st Century we legitimately had players and spectators from 4 continents.

Thoughts (worse thoughts first):

1. The book as a pdf is laid out like rear end. Even with 8 hours of solid prepwork snipping and saving images and making bookmarks I had to flip back constantly, and I don't think it would have been much better in book form when it comes to covering every possible eventuality. If I had realized how much flipping I'd have to do between detail on the Cronus' individual rooms versus the scripted events of the Campaign I would have done things very different in prep work.

2. The maps are also kind-of rear end unless you're playing in person when it comes to tracking combat.

3. The panic system works well mechanically except there needs to be more ways to panic. Having 3/5ths of my party "Tremble" was a low mood killer in early Act II.

4. Abominations in the Campaign totally cheat the players out of better encounters with Neomorphs and if I ever run it again I'm swapping them out for facehuggers and more traditional Xenos.

5. The rival system and signature items barely came up.

6. Dice rolls and combat work exactly as well as intended imo. It was very tense and the game did a very good job of mechanically recreating the tension of being chased by a Xeno by having every Alien move way faster than any character.

7. The RPG book doesn't actually have stat blocks for the Covert Synthetic you secretly designate one of your party as, and I had to make one up. That was ok though, she was thrilled to be a secret android and the reveal in Act III was great when she set the ship to explode.

8. "Cinematic Play" actually works quite well in terms of moving along. I'm used to D&D one-shots that crawl the second you get into combat and throw off the rhythm of plot development (which goes by far too fast), but this one had rather great pacing and everyone seemed to feel satisfied.

9. Despite talking a very big game about betrayal, there wasn't actually much chance in the way of players getting to sneak around and screw each other over. They would run from encounters and screw each other during escapes, but that was it.

10. This was mostly because the game requires you to split the party, and as the DM it was very difficult to constantly juggle focus and "scenes" without giving away too much of the game for other players.

11. The plot to this is a little lame. It mostly works but it's 100% "The Nostromo finds the crew from Prometheus and black goo makes space Zombies + a Neomorph" and it falls apart by Act III where the book assumes poo poo has hit the fan enough that the players can just gtfo.

12. Didn't need to use space pirates. There was a good chance to, but I felt like it'd add an hour no one wanted to have on the game. I'm glad we kept it lean.

13. Only one player survived and I'm glad it went down that way. Felt appropriate.

Overall: B+ experience with the game, A- experience thanks to the players. Would recommend, **if** you can really take the time to organize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Jay_Zombie posted:

I want more Alien movies as much as the next person.
But for the love of god...
Stop.
Making.
Prequels.

We want Xenomorphs. We want likable protagonists trapped into a near impossible to escape situation and forced to do what it takes to survive. We want the ever present threat of both bodily violation and an eviscerating death. We want perpetually quotable dialogue. We want TENSION.

I don't give a single drat about "Space Jockeys" or synthetics playing the loving recorder or how the Xeno's were made. The fact that the Xenomorphs exist out in the universe somewhere is good enough. Having an heir of mystery about their origins is a good thing. The galaxy is big. There are things we don't know about. There are monsters. We are squishy and weak. That's enough of a premise for me. It's ok to leave some stones un-turned.

They blew the one chance. Labyrinth was already a movie but they hosed up the canon super hard, it didn't even make sense. The only Bowie disaster ever.