Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Went and made myself a static grass applicator today.

It took maybe an hour to put together and used at most, $15 worth of materials. A $5 electric fly swatter, soldering iron, gator clip, wire mesh, and an old container. Really simple stuff. Took about an hour or so to put together.

My first try with it gave some interesting results:

I applied little globs of PVA glue on wax paper, laid out on a metal sheet with the gator clip attached. I may have used too much glue, since it's more like mounds than tufts; as well, the grass itself is pretty short, so it doesn't really pop up too far. But it doesn't seem like it's dried fully either, and the grass IS standing up, which is the entire point of the device.

I'm going to get some longer grass, around 5mm or so, and see if I can get better results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nice work!

If you're having any trouble removing the tufts from the wax paper, try baking parchment next time. I tried both methods when I got my static-grass applicator, and found tufts were much easier to remove from parchment than wax paper.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

R0ckfish posted:

I painted some danger noodles while waiting on stuff to dry:

I love your noodles they are v good

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Slimnoid posted:

Went and made myself a static grass applicator today.

It took maybe an hour to put together and used at most, $15 worth of materials. A $5 electric fly swatter, soldering iron, gator clip, wire mesh, and an old container. Really simple stuff. Took about an hour or so to put together.

My first try with it gave some interesting results:

I applied little globs of PVA glue on wax paper, laid out on a metal sheet with the gator clip attached. I may have used too much glue, since it's more like mounds than tufts; as well, the grass itself is pretty short, so it doesn't really pop up too far. But it doesn't seem like it's dried fully either, and the grass IS standing up, which is the entire point of the device.

I'm going to get some longer grass, around 5mm or so, and see if I can get better results.

I don’t understand what the tool does but this is rad and I applaud your science

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I don’t understand what the tool does but this is rad and I applaud your science

Static grass applicators are a regular thing in the model railroad community and anywhere that regularly does large dioramas. Essentially, they charge your static grass with, well, static electricity, so that it stands up as you're applying it instead of lying down, and that way the glue only sticks to the ends and you have fake grass that looks like it's standing up like real grass instead of lying on your diorama in clumps like you just sprinkled it on to a surface covered in glue.

This is, in fact, the "correct" way to use static grass, and is why it's called static grass.

I think most railroad modelers use it in conjunction with spray-on glue, so that you get a thinner glue application.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Painted up the 1st Awakened Wyldwood this morning, 3 trees = 1 wood, so I'll need to buy 3 more apparently

Quick and dirty contrast and drybrush with a couple of spot highlights

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Nice work!

If you're having any trouble removing the tufts from the wax paper, try baking parchment next time. I tried both methods when I got my static-grass applicator, and found tufts were much easier to remove from parchment than wax paper.

I'll give that a try. I'd read somewhere that wax paper was a better choice as it was less absorbent but I may as well try both.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

what the fuuuuuuuuck

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

richyp posted:

Painted up the 1st Awakened Wyldwood this morning, 3 trees = 1 wood, so I'll need to buy 3 more apparently

Quick and dirty contrast and drybrush with a couple of spot highlights

And a Treelord Ancient to summon them with.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

richyp posted:

And a Treelord Ancient to summon them with.

Stormcast: who's going to stop me, the trees? Oh my god no

Seriously though like much of your work its magnificent and something to inspire towards

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I doubt these are going to look as good as advertised but might be good enough to get some newer painters to hang up their brushes, sadly.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heroforge/full-color-custom-miniatures-with-hero-forge-20

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

I doubt these are going to look as good as advertised but might be good enough to get some newer painters to hang up their brushes, sadly.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heroforge/full-color-custom-miniatures-with-hero-forge-20

Heroes Forge is more for pen & paper RPGs, especially Dungeons & Dragons, you won't be able to copy figures from already established table top games. Their service is meant for one time models, but you're suppose to paint them yourself is how it works right now. So I don't think anyone is going to give up painting that is already into the hobby.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Not wargames, no, but I know a lot of people that only paint figures for D&D or other RPGs.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Speaking of Hero Forge, has anyone ever ordered from them that can speak to the quality of the minis? I'm in a recently begun D&D campaign and considering pulling the trigger.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Their bread and butter options, plastic and premium plastic, are just fine. I haven't ordered one in a while but it was of good enough quality. I run a makerspace as part of my day job, so once they started selling the STL files of your mini's to you directly I just started buying those and printing them myself.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Speaking of Hero Forge, has anyone ever ordered from them that can speak to the quality of the minis? I'm in a recently begun D&D campaign and considering pulling the trigger.

Haven't ordered but from what I've heard their current plastics are fine and at least nicer than stuff like Bones. If you're willing to drop $20+ on your PC's model and you're happy with how the 3D image looks in their creator, go for it.

I'd avoid the metals; even their own website admits they look worse than the plastics, not accounting for the annoyance of painting or the higher price point.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks. Having painted a lot of Bones, I'm perfectly okay with something that quality or better.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

I'll give that a try. I'd read somewhere that wax paper was a better choice as it was less absorbent but I may as well try both.

Nice! Here's the one I built last year.

I find 2mm grass doesn't work too well, but the longer stuff does fine. I used parchment paper and it worked fine, the base is an old cookie sheet.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I've ordered three, all premium plastic. My only real complaint is that if you get one with an integrated base and use a Citadel paint handle, I feel like the base flexes too much for comfort.

There's a few faint print lines, and there's some cleaning up of support nubs you'll have to do, but no worse than say a plastic sprue or a metal mini.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I painted another Lizardguy

I had lots of fun with these guys, I'm hoping all of these detailed models will help me when I go back to Space Marines

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 8, 2020

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Hero forge sent out an email with an image of what the multi colored prints might look like

Looks like at least Heroclix or Wizkids level of quality

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

So I did order from heroforge but not being in the US I bought the reduced 3D file for $7.99 and sent it via a local 3D print service which worked out about $10 cheaper than the normal service at 25nm resolution. I am in the midst of painting this and actually need some advice so will post up a pic later. Very happy with the quality and will definitely be ordering again.

No prep needed whatsoever for my model, a friend ordered at I think a lower resolution and had a fair bit of clipping/cutting prep to do. Pot luck on local services for 3d printing I suppose.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Today I am receiving in the mail, a new paint brush (da Vinci Watercolor Series 10 Maestro Paint Brush), that Battletech starter box that came out last year through Kickstarter that includes 8 miniatures, and a WH40K Adeptus Mechanicus Belisarius Cawl. :toot:

I'm always kinda nervous about buying brushes online since i've had at least one bad experience with it, but I don't know of any places locally that sell good quality brushes.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Am I supposed to thin Vallejo's Matte Varnish? It seems to clog my airbrush pretty quickly.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I put a little flow improver in mine. Otherwise you've gotta be pretty on the ball about wiping your needle off.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Furism posted:

Am I supposed to thin Vallejo's Matte Varnish? It seems to clog my airbrush pretty quickly.

I thin mine like I would any other Vallejo paint

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Flow Improver it is. Thanks!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I said come in! posted:

Today I am receiving in the mail, a new paint brush (da Vinci Watercolor Series 10 Maestro Paint Brush), that Battletech starter box that came out last year through Kickstarter that includes 8 miniatures, and a WH40K Adeptus Mechanicus Belisarius Cawl. :toot:

I'm always kinda nervous about buying brushes online since i've had at least one bad experience with it, but I don't know of any places locally that sell good quality brushes.

Rosemary & Co. is a good choice for online sales since she makes them all herself and you don't have to worry about counterfeits.

edit: she doesn't make all of them, but the ones you want, series 33, she does.

Cat Face Joe fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 8, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

Rosemary & Co. is a good choice for online sales since she makes them all herself and you don't have to worry about counterfeits.

edit: she doesn't make all of them, but the ones you want, series 33, she does.

Thank you, going to bookmark this. Counterfeit brushes on Amazon are a major concern, i've seen a lot of reviews that point this out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Got a new paintbrush today too, ready to paint my first Battletech figures. :toot:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of, what's the best way to make the tiny masks required for stripes etc... for stuff like Steiner Lancers

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

I said come in! posted:

Got a new paintbrush today too, ready to paint my first Battletech figures. :toot:

those are some good lookin' robots. might have to get some.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Phi230 posted:

Speaking of, what's the best way to make the tiny masks required for stripes etc... for stuff like Steiner Lancers

tamiya masking tape. it's sold in most hobby shops. the smallest size is 6mm wide but you can very easily and cleanly xacto it smaller if necessary.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Speaking of, anyone ever tried using nail striping tape for mini applications? Don't know if it's cost effective, but I already have a bunch sitting around.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I said come in! posted:

Battletech buddies! Mine are in progress, just deciding how much to detail these things before I base

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

DressCodeBlue posted:

Speaking of, anyone ever tried using nail striping tape for mini applications? Don't know if it's cost effective, but I already have a bunch sitting around.

No idea what that stuff is but generic old masking tape and an exacto knife also works just fine for masking.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
After about a billion years of waiting for water effects to cure, a carnifex is done!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I'm looking to get back into painting minis (years and year ago I got into painting LOTR minis) with a particular interesting painting Gloomhaven minis. I'm still doing research and looking at tutorials, but what do you all think of this kit?

https://www.amazon.com/Reaper-Miniatures-08906-Learn-Paint/dp/B00NTMC49G

I've seen this kit recommended in different places, and on its face a beginning kit with different colors and brushes AND some basic minis start off with SEEMS like a good deal.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I'm looking to get back into painting minis (years and year ago I got into painting LOTR minis) with a particular interesting painting Gloomhaven minis. I'm still doing research and looking at tutorials, but what do you all think of this kit?

https://www.amazon.com/Reaper-Miniatures-08906-Learn-Paint/dp/B00NTMC49G

I've seen this kit recommended in different places, and on its face a beginning kit with different colors and brushes AND some basic minis start off with SEEMS like a good deal.

The Reaper Learn to Paint kits are good stuff. If you get this one and the layering kit, they're designed to provide a good starter set of paints between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

R0ckfish posted:

After about a billion years of waiting for water effects to cure, a carnifex is done!

AWESOME