Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I'm going to get a discover it, as the main grocery store I shop at only accepts discover credit cards. Is there any reason I should wait? Sign up bonuses or anything?

I will of course use a goon sign up link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Here's my link:

https://refer.discover.com/s/4brcu

Or use the goon referral sheet and get a random one:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Thoguh posted:

Has anyone acquired the Barclay's AAviator card? It looks like it might be worth getting for a year even though the $99 fee has to be paid upfront for 60k and a companion pass. But I know companion passes can sometimes be impossible to actually use unless you buy full Y fares, which defeats the savings of the pass. Anybody use that pass and have any thought on it? I'm thinking I might get it and then cancel once the year is up.

Edit, found an article that answered my question. Looks like the answer is there's a bunch of blackout dates and they make it hard to use the certificate (have to call to reserve and physically mail in the certificate) but not impossible. So I guess I'll look first to see if any travel I have would hit those blackout dates prior to deciding if I'm gonna sign up.

I'm in the process of using my certificate - called and mailed but the actual trip is in a few months. Blackout dates surprised me when calling but we just moved the trip by a day (and I could've read the piece of paper to know in advance). Flight cost something like $400 normally, so paying the $100 annual fee + $100 companion fee + $15 or something in companion certificate taxes, still coming out well ahead considering I just had to make a single purchase. Plus I've got AA miles that are probably not worthless.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
I'm (well, my household is) sitting on a pile of UR points and have a CSR that we hardly ever use anymore so am wondering about how best to make use of points now and then abandon the CSR to avoid the annual fee coming in a few months.

Is the naive "use chase portal to buy family plane tickets and hotels for a vacation" approach going to be strongly dominated by some other easy redemption strategizing?

waloo fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 5, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

waloo posted:

I'm (well, my household is) sitting on a pile of UR points and have a CSR that we hardly ever use anymore so am wondering about how best to make use of points now and then abandon the CSR to avoid the annual fee coming in a few months.

Is the naive "use chase portal to buy family plane tickets and hotels for a vacation" approach going to be strongly dominated by some other easy redemption strategizing?

Let me know if you find it. I’ve been using transferring chase points to Hyatt. Seems like they have decent availability and you don’t have to play with ridiculous airline availability.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

waloo posted:

It’s just a question of doing the comparison on the UR points with the 1.5x (only possible when booking through the UR portal) vs transferring the points to a travel partner.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Personally we have been using Airbnb’s almost exclusively lately which has made it a bit harder to use up our Chase rewards points.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've been being lazy and just booking flights and getting the 1.5x. I'm in a Delta hub so not ever any real good use of the points being transferred there even if I could.

It sucks there isn't a point option for AirBnB but man is it worth it. Last summer I rented a two story townhouse with a private pool on the patio on a Greek island for less than $250 a night.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

TraderStav posted:

It sucks there isn't a point option for AirBnB but man is it worth it.

The Uber Visa works for 3% at AirBnB but unfortunately starting February it's only good for Uber credit.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

TraderStav posted:

It sucks there isn't a point option for AirBnB but man is it worth it. Last summer I rented a two story townhouse with a private pool on the patio on a Greek island for less than $250 a night.

We are a family of 6, with 4 small kids, so international hotels are usually not an option. We airbnb everywhere, usually to awesome results.

I use my Blue Cash Preferred AMEX to buy Airbnb gift cards for 6% back at our local grocery store, and (if I can remember to do it) I book through the Delta portal for a few extra miles. But yeah, using UR points or miles would be awesome.

Isn't Airbnb going public this year, maybe that might change some of their business practices?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anything much new in the world of credit cards for 2020? Assume I have all the recommended cards from a year or two ago, plus the Apple Card.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

VorpalBunny posted:

We are a family of 6, with 4 small kids, so international hotels are usually not an option. We airbnb everywhere, usually to awesome results.

I use my Blue Cash Preferred AMEX to buy Airbnb gift cards for 6% back at our local grocery store, and (if I can remember to do it) I book through the Delta portal for a few extra miles. But yeah, using UR points or miles would be awesome.

Isn't Airbnb going public this year, maybe that might change some of their business practices?

Family of 5 here, we're at that point when we travel to Europe to be comfortable we'll need two hotel rooms.

I'll have to look at picking up some AirBnB gift cards, makes a lot of sense! Don't think I have a card right now that'll give me a good bonus like that, perhaps I'll pick one up.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

smackfu posted:

Anything much new in the world of credit cards for 2020? Assume I have all the recommended cards from a year or two ago, plus the Apple Card.

Well I assume you're familiar with the negative changes with the Barclay's Uber if you have it or were planning to get it.

What do you have and what are you interested in doing? Like are you doing a lot of travel spend or more interested in cash back on low/no AF cards?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m leaning toward replacing my Uber card with the Capital One Savor. 4% dining with a $95 AF but waived the first year. If I don’t spend 95/0.01=$9,500 going out that first year (difference between Savor’s 4% and the 3% from a no-fee card like BoA Cash Rewards), I’ll just PC to the Savor One to avoid the AF.

edit: Got a friend to give me a referral so we can split the $100 credit, approved for my highest credit line yet. :dance:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 6, 2020

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

smackfu posted:

Business cards are a lot easier to get now than they used to be. Other than that, nothing ground breaking.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Family of 5 here, we're at that point when we travel to Europe to be comfortable we'll need two hotel rooms.

I'll have to look at picking up some AirBnB gift cards, makes a lot of sense! Don't think I have a card right now that'll give me a good bonus like that, perhaps I'll pick one up.

Discover IT is currently 5% groceries.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

angryrobots posted:

What do you have and what are you interested in doing? Like are you doing a lot of travel spend or more interested in cash back on low/no AF cards?

I guess mostly asking about new cards with good signup offers, or new cards that have good cash back categories that are different from existing cards. The ones I have are fine for what they are but if I can get 5% instead of 2% that might be worth adding a card to the rotation.

Currently have CSR, Freedom Unlimited, Freedom as my main cards, plus Apple Card for contactless and Amazon Card for Amazon.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is it worth getting an American Airlines Card for the any signup bonus in particular if I’ve never had one? Any of them better for any reason?

lgcty5
Jan 4, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Is it worth getting an American Airlines Card for the any signup bonus in particular if I’ve never had one? Any of them better for any reason?

When Barclay's does their $1 or 1 purchase minimum spend for 60k or 70k miles is a pretty good time to get one. Otherwise any of the (lower level) Citi AA cards are fine if you can get the 70-75k miles. Either deal is especially good if they waive the annual fee for the first year as they aren't particularly sensitive to canceling before the year is up (for now!). Just be careful though, as AA has recently been closing AA accounts and taking back all miles for folks who got too many sign up bonuses within a year or two. 1 per year should be totally fine, but people are still trying to figure out how many is 'too many'.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

CSR annual fee increase confirmed along with some added benefits.

I need to sit down and figure out what value what this complicated jumble of added benefits has for me, but overall it seems like a net gain in value for me, at least till the end of 2021.

For my use the care still easily pays for itself at $550 even with no added benefits. Just this month I got over $100 out of eating in airport restaurants with Priority Pass.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So I got a Reserve on Dec 1 2016. I just paid my $450 fee last month. That's for the upcoming year right? So they'll want $550 on Dec 1 2020, but at that point I will have hit 4 years, so I can cancel it, not pay the $550, and sign up for a Preferred (which I cancelled to get the Reserve 4 years ago) to get that bonus again?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Remind me, if you have the CSP you can't apply for the CSR?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Insane Totoro posted:

Remind me, if you have the CSP you can't apply for the CSR?

That's correct. Unlike some other cards where the restriction is simply on the bonus, with the Sapphire family you are barred from acquiring the new card at all under the following terms:

quote:

The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months. If you are an existing Sapphire customer and would like this product, please call the number on the back of your card to see if you are eligible for a product change. You will not receive the new cardmember bonus if you change products.

So even if you ditched your CSP, you couldn't get the CSR unless your CSP bonus posted >4 years ago.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Animal posted:

CSR annual fee increase confirmed along with some added benefits.

I need to sit down and figure out what value what this complicated jumble of added benefits has for me, but overall it seems like a net gain in value for me, at least till the end of 2021.

For my use the care still easily pays for itself at $550 even with no added benefits. Just this month I got over $100 out of eating in airport restaurants with Priority Pass.

Seems like you get $120 in food credits?

Wish I still lived in the city and used Lyft constantly.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Yeah those changes aren’t going to get me to product change to a lower fee card. I’ll use the food and Lyft credits.

My renewal is in February anyways so I’ll have another year of $450.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I can get 3% on travel with my BoA Cash Rewards which is no fee and 4% on dining with the Capital One Savor which is $95 AF. I spend a ton on dining but maybe only $500 on travel/year. With that in mind, is there any reason to go for the CSR? At best it seems like there might be some tiny min/max benefit with the $300 travel credit but otherwise it’s not obvious. And I assume the CSP is definitely pointless.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 8, 2020

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Residency Evil posted:

Seems like you get $120 in food credits?

Over two years. It's a $100 increase for a $60 credit at a specific vendor.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

pig slut lisa posted:

That's correct. Unlike some other cards where the restriction is simply on the bonus, with the Sapphire family you are barred from acquiring the new card at all under the following terms:

So even if you ditched your CSP, you couldn't get the CSR unless your CSP bonus posted >4 years ago.

That's dumb since I'd just rather get the Amex Plat...?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I just talked to someone from Chase about that. They said people were gaming the system so they had to put a stop to that but for whatever reason I'm able to upgrade from the Preferred to the Reserve as long as I've had an account for more than a year and as long as I have at least a 10k limit on my card.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

keevo posted:

I just talked to someone from Chase about that. They said people were gaming the system so they had to put a stop to that but for whatever reason I'm able to upgrade from the Preferred to the Reserve as long as I've had an account for more than a year and as long as I have at least a 10k limit on my card.

Product changes are still allowed. That's different from opening a new account.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Ooooooh that makes a lot more sense.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So if I'm reading the CSR changes correctly, $60 free Door Dash per year plus 15% discount on Lyft? With that I think I can get at least the $100 increase back so this isn't an impact to me. I think my Global Entry is coming up soon so that's some more value I'd get in the next renewal which I'll get hit with in September.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

TraderStav posted:

So if I'm reading the CSR changes correctly, $60 free Door Dash per year plus 15% discount on Lyft? With that I think I can get at least the $100 increase back so this isn't an impact to me. I think my Global Entry is coming up soon so that's some more value I'd get in the next renewal which I'll get hit with in September.

Also https://help.doordash.com/consumers/s/article/Chase-Partnership?language=en_US

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Is anyone dumping the CSR because of the hiked fee, or on balance it seems like most people would rather keep it?

550 bones is quite a sticker.

e: Also I'm curious how these odd financial arrangements work between two companies like Chase and DoorDash. I wonder what the terms of that contract are like.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 10, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Inner Light posted:

Is anyone dumping the CSR because of the hiked fee, or on balance it seems like most people would rather keep it?

I dropped it last year so I'm not a good representative. I had been thinking about having my wife get one and get the bonus but this changed pushed me further away. I'm skeptical of the gig economy as it is and this seems like another way to prop it up.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Those upgrades are great and worth the fee. I looked at my spending last year and the lyft discount alone would cover the increase for me.

Also, ride credits and meal discounts come out of the platform's pocket - not the gig workers. It's probably the only time that's true since they're trying to buy customers/market share. I'll use the doordash benefit just to get the $60 and then ditch it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Inner Light posted:

e: Also I'm curious how these odd financial arrangements work between two companies like Chase and DoorDash. I wonder what the terms of that contract are like.

I have to compare the CSP and the CSR, it's tempting to downgrade but our CSR renews this month so that should protect us from the increase in annual fee. Right?

I haven't ever used Doordash or Lyft, so this might push us to try them out. I'm not outraged like others seem to be, I've gotten a ton of value out of the card and it saved my rear end a few times with car rental damage.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

I have to compare the CSP and the CSR, it's tempting to downgrade but our CSR renews this month so that should protect us from the increase in annual fee. Right?
Mine renews in February and I believe we'll have another year of $450 before having to make a decision.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I love the marketer who came up with “$120 of DoorDash credits” as a feature of the new CSR when it’s $60 per year.

Personally we don’t use delivery at all so this is worthless to me and increases the effective annual fee from $150 to $250 which is just too steep. We just renewed at the old price so I guess it doesn’t matter for a year though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I got till the end of the year if Doordash + Lyft is still worth the increase. I do live in the city and have no car, so it's still beneficial. Though I wish it would be something more concrete since these companies are terrible and living on borrowed time.