Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hyperlynx posted:

Haha holy poo poo. Chalk me up as another "how else are you supposed to pronounce it?". I don't think we get them out here, so I've only ever seen it written, online.

where you live that you can't buy a Cuisinart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

where you live that you can't buy a Cuisinart?

:australia:

I don't know about "can't buy", but it's not a thing here.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

christmas boots posted:

It actually comes from Final Fantasy 6, in which the usage was derived from Esperanto

This is also where the japanese name of the pokémon type "psychic" comes from.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hyperlynx posted:

don't think they make barbies tbf

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Rudyard Kipling’s The White Man’s Burden is not a satire. I was reading about U.S. imperialism, got to the part where Kipling was writing editorials in favor of subjugating the half-devil Filipinos, and had a moment where I had to go back and reread that poem.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Huh. I literally just walked past this, on the way to the bus. Though that's a fancy-pants kitchen supply shop. :shrug:

We don't get TV ads for Cuisinart, though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

The only reason I now how to pronounce it is because of Spaceballs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWL8ejf2nM

I knew the word cuisinart from this movie but never bothered to learn what it exactly was.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Hyperlynx posted:

the food processor blades would spin the wrong direction in Australia:(

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Rudyard Kipling’s The White Man’s Burden is not a satire. I was reading about U.S. imperialism, got to the part where Kipling was writing editorials in favor of subjugating the half-devil Filipinos, and had a moment where I had to go back and reread that poem.

That was a fun couple classes back when I was in college. Seeing people defend it in modern times was ... Interesting.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

SLOSifl posted:

the food processor blades would spin the wrong direction in Australia:(

Idk, a machine that can reconstitute food would be pretty cool. Not sure what you'd use it for, though.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Hyperlynx posted:

Idk, a machine that can reconstitute food would be pretty cool. Not sure what you'd use it for, though.

Where did you think the stuff at Whole Foods shops came from?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Hyperlynx posted:

Nah, you'd have to blend it, then fly the same machine across the equator to un-blend it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's what "reclaimed grains" are, right?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

purple death ray posted:

That's what "reclaimed grains" are, right?

picking corn out of turds?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I was today years old when I learned that you’re apparently not supposed to rinse all the toothpaste out after brushing. You should spit out the excess, but leave the rest so it can actually do its work in repairing your enamel.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Luneshot posted:

I was today years old when I learned that you’re apparently not supposed to rinse all the toothpaste out after brushing. You should spit out the excess, but leave the rest so it can actually do its work in repairing your enamel.

Yeah, I think you shouldn't drink fluids for 30 mins after either to give it time to work. At least I remember a dentist telling me this (that part could be BS)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I think you shouldn't drink fluids for 30 mins after either to give it time to work. At least I remember a dentist telling me this (that part could be BS)

I was told the same thing on the understanding that after brushing your enamel is vulnerable while it rebuilds from the 'trauma' of the brushing, so eating damages it way worse during that period.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Spike Milligan didn't own a steam shovel.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

Wait how is it pronounced?

https://youtu.be/B8-eiBqri0U

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Luneshot posted:

Fuckin' what?! Like, not even a little rinse of water?

I feel like that radio guy who discovered other people don't poop into their hands right now

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ive never heard of this either

tho tbf im not very conscientious re tooth cleansing regimes. i only brush my teeth if i leave the house (say 4 times a week), i smoke, i drink, i eat sugar (sometimes even in lumps). and i still dont have holes at age 40

possibly my oral milieu is lethal to bacteria.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tesseraction posted:

I was told the same thing on the understanding that after brushing your enamel is vulnerable while it rebuilds from the 'trauma' of the brushing, so eating damages it way worse during that period.

Yep, that's why you should always use soft bristles when possible and never press hard on your teeth.

For those that press hard, please stop. Think about sweeping a floor. If you jam the broom hard down, you'll have a much harder time sweeping than if you glide if over the surface. A textured brush, a light touch and a non-alcoholic rinse does wonders.

Friend posted:

Nope! Spit out any excess and let your saliva do the work for the next 30-60 minutes. You can swallow minute amounts of the residue, it won't hurt you.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Krankenstyle posted:

ive never heard of this either

tho tbf im not very conscientious re tooth cleansing regimes. i only brush my teeth if i leave the house (say 4 times a week), i smoke, i drink, i eat sugar (sometimes even in lumps). and i still dont have holes at age 40

possibly my oral milieu is lethal to bacteria.

No offense dude, but that's nasty.

Regardless of any cavities or lack thereof (are you regularly going to the dentist and KNOW you don't have cavities? It's very possible to have small ones that you can't see yourself and don't actually hurt for a while before they get big enough that you notice,) your breath must be GNARLY.

I can guarantee you that all your friends, family, coworkers, etc... notice your nasty breath, yes, even if you brush right before leaving the house.

And on a personal note, don't your teeth and mouth just FEEL scummy? When I wake up in the morning, the first two things I always have to do ASAP are piss and brush my teeth. That sum feeling grosses me out so much, I can't eat or drink anything before I brush (not even water, feels like I'm just swallowing my teeth crud.)

I brush at night before I go to bed, too, I just have dry mouth so it contributes to bacteria and whatnot in my mouth, so I'm aware this isn't the case for everyone, but seriously...at least brush once a day.

Also floss, cause you probably have gingivitis.

Edit: And I guess this isn't the first I've heard that you shouldn't rinse after brushing, but I didn't know that you also shouldn't drink even water for 30-60 minutes. I know that's the case with a fluoride rinse, so is this the case only if you have a fluoride toothpaste and DON'T use a rinse? I rinse at night before bed, so no need to eat or drink after. I also have fluoride added to my municipal water.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Friend posted:

I feel like that radio guy who discovered other people don't poop into their hands right now

Yep, you should leave the last remains in your mouth, or whatever is left after you spit out, if you use an electric toothbrush.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Also if you don't brush, that gross film on your teeth is bacteria poop.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DrBouvenstein posted:

No offense dude, but that's nasty.

I can't speak for that dude but when I was in my worst depression (that lasted for about five years) I only brushed my teeth every three days or so. I was lucky that my diet was normal, I didn't drink a ton and I've never been a smoker.

Still, I had to spend thousands and thousands of dollars fixing it all when I finally got my head above water. Now I'm very fastidious and only want to make my dentist proud.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i just said i brush my teeth if i go out. i just have preternaturally resistent teeth or preternaturally poisonous spit. my teeth just dont require upkeep lol

if you cant be nasty in your own home, what the gently caress.

(i go to the dentist yearly for a checkup)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Jan 10, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Is this, like, a recent discovery? I haven't been to dentist in years thanks to US healthcare/insurance sucking and my fear of dentists, but back when I was a kid, I got those fluoride treatments where you sunk your teeth into a bite guard filled with horrible tasting goo for five minutes. Then the hygienist would rinse my mouth out with the water-pik spray thing. What was the loving point, then?

It's also blowing my mind because as a 10 year old in the 80's, I once proudly announced to my dentist that I used to rub toothpaste on my teeth and leave it there "because it can work longer!" and he chastised me for it.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
It's what I was told to do with extra fluoride toothpaste, didn't know it applied to all.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Holy loving poo poo! Apparently it is indeed a true thing that dentists say you should do. I can't believe it.

https://www.ada.org.au/Dental-Health-Week/Oral-Health-for-Busy-Lives/Brushing

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hyperlynx posted:

Holy loving poo poo! Apparently it is indeed a true thing that dentists say you should do. I can't believe it.

https://www.ada.org.au/Dental-Health-Week/Oral-Health-for-Busy-Lives/Brushing

It does mention the not rinsing, but it doesn't say not to drink for 30 minutes.

Though if one were to just think logically, obviously drinking anything soon after brushing would, in effect, be the same as rinsing. I do wonder the minimum I have to wait...I'm always very thirty in the morning and, as said, hate drinking even water before brushing.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Decades ago, my parents had a dentist that instructed them to buy the hardest-bristled toothbrushes they could get, and really scrub the poo poo out of their teeth every time.

They did this for years, until they switched to a new, horrified dentist.

I like to think there's a whole bunch of boomers out there still sanding down their own teeth.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: And I guess this isn't the first I've heard that you shouldn't rinse after brushing, but I didn't know that you also shouldn't drink even water for 30-60 minutes. I know that's the case with a fluoride rinse, so is this the case only if you have a fluoride toothpaste and DON'T use a rinse? I rinse at night before bed, so no need to eat or drink after. I also have fluoride added to my municipal water.

I've heard about not rinsing and I actually follow that advice, but I didn't know about not eating or drinking until after a decent chunk of time has passed. Huh.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

artsy fartsy posted:

Decades ago, my parents had a dentist that instructed them to buy the hardest-bristled toothbrushes they could get, and really scrub the poo poo out of their teeth every time.

They did this for years, until they switched to a new, horrified dentist.

I like to think there's a whole bunch of boomers out there still sanding down their own teeth.
This, but my husband's staunch homeopathic-believer mother and salt toothpaste. When he finally started getting proper dental care as an adult on the other side of the world from his mother, our dentist said he had very little enamel left at all. My husband's penchant when younger of eating lemons out of hand certainly didn't help.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

I've heard about not rinsing and I actually follow that advice, but I didn't know about not eating or drinking until after a decent chunk of time has passed. Huh.

I've heard a lot about not eating or drinking right after brushing, but never about not rinsing

dentistry: a land of contrasts? or just dentists not telling us poo poo we need to know?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I just noticed that my Mexican bag of Fritos is, in fact, Frit-os. I had to double-check that there was no hyphen on the U.S. package. (There is not.)

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

small bird pudding posted:

It's what I was told to do with extra fluoride toothpaste, didn't know it applied to all.

It probably didn't before some time in the 80s or 90s and the info's just spreading around reletavely recently.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
What is salt toothpaste?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

packetmantis posted:

What is salt toothpaste?

I seem to recall that people used rock salt as toothpaste before there was toothpaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

packetmantis posted:

What is salt toothpaste?

Snake-oil bullshit for people who won't use real toothpaste because it has :supaburn: CHEMICALS :supaburn: in it

(it's just normal toothpaste with salt in it and no fluoride)