Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Randaconda posted:

so much loving sugar. But most of the cinnamon flavored booze I've had has been gross. Fireball, Goldschlager

in my experience, cinnamon itself is delicious; but “cinnamon-flavored” (or -scented) things never fail to make me gag. like, a few years ago I couldn’t enter Wal-Mart during the run-up to Christmas without olfactory assault from these pinecone wreaths (or was it just bags of standalone cones? I definitely don’t remember) with fake cinnamon smell all over them. It was like one of Santa’s elves taking a continuous dump in your nostrils until you got back outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If you drink an entire bottle of firewater in an hour you feel like a dragon when it comes back up.

It also ruins cinnamon flavored things forever

And then you have Aftershock the drink that puts hard candy at the bottom of the bottle. I wasn't there for it but my friends decided to try to get to it once by breaking the bottle. It went poorly

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

If you drink an entire bottle of firewater in an hour you feel like a dragon when it comes back up.

It also ruins cinnamon flavored things forever

And then you have Aftershock the drink that puts hard candy at the bottom of the bottle. I wasn't there for it but my friends decided to try to get to it once by breaking the bottle. It went poorly

why didn't they just melt in a hot water bath or something

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Randaconda posted:

why didn't they just melt in a hot water bath or something

Because they'd just drank the contents of the bottle and breaking it seemed easier

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Randaconda posted:

that's the only one i drink. the 80 proof has a weird flavor for some reason
Yeah, I'm a heathen and mix whiskey but the 101 is the only way to go - the 80 is funky even mixed.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SatansOnion posted:

in my experience, cinnamon itself is delicious; but “cinnamon-flavored” (or -scented) things never fail to make me gag. like, a few years ago I couldn’t enter Wal-Mart during the run-up to Christmas without olfactory assault from these pinecone wreaths (or was it just bags of standalone cones? I definitely don’t remember) with fake cinnamon smell all over them. It was like one of Santa’s elves taking a continuous dump in your nostrils until you got back outside

My high school's Advanced Chemistry class had a lab every year where they isolated the main scent molecule in cinnamon (charmingly called cinnamaldehyde). Everyone in that class emerged smelling like an Atomic Fireball threw up on them. It was the lab that launched a thousand food aversions.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
I just saw some domino commercials for "pizza insurance". To me, it came across as them saying they gently caress up their orders so often they were forced to try and make a marketing gimmick out of it.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
My wife's family are Sri Lankan, and we got a chance to help her aunt look through the resumés of a few potential candidates for marrying her cousin. They were mostly full of educational background details, income potential, and most importantly their astrological details, but we showed how western we were by noting that none of them had photos.

Anyways, the cousin is a git, but he ended up being matched with a doctor in the middle of nowhere in Canada, and he feels irked that she earns about twenty times as much as him.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Maxwell Lord posted:

A lot of the above is also part of why America gave prohibition a shot- we as a nation really did have a problem with alcohol because it was so economical to produce.

I received a present at Christmas of a book that had instructions for making fake liquor. It's got a bunch of Cabala (that's how they spell it) stuff. Printed about 1904. It has no publishers mark nor an author as it was banned in several countries as witchcraft.
Example:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/occult-book-silent-friend-medical-1734534615

It instructs you to, if you'd like to make fake Irish whiskey, to use 50 gallons of "spirit" and add a lot of flavorings to cover the taste. "Spirit" means spirit alcohol. Spirit alcohol, at the time, usually meant the cheap wood alcohol. Used for cleaning and manufacturing. It will kill you. It will kill the hell out of you. But at least it will hurt the whole time and you'll go blind before death.

There's a good reason the book was banned. It's bathtub gin.

My parents found the book at the dump when they were dropping off garbage. It's actually my favorite present I've ever received.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Buckets posted:

I just saw some domino commercials for "pizza insurance". To me, it came across as them saying they gently caress up their orders so often they were forced to try and make a marketing gimmick out of it.

No, the pizza insurance is if YOU gently caress up the order. Yo u drop it getting out of the car or something.

They've had some variation of "if we gently caress it up, let us know and we'll remake it ASAP" for a while, since 10-ish years ago when they put out those commercials where they acknowledged that everyone said their pizza was crap and they actually improved the recipe.

To their credit, they did own up to the fact they had the worst pizza of the national chains...it was like ketchup and Elmer's glue on cardboard. I'm not saying it's fantastic now, but it's passable and a lot better than it was.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, I think dominos is the least terrible of the gigantic chain pizza options since they redid their recipe

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

DrBouvenstein posted:

No, the pizza insurance is if YOU gently caress up the order. Yo u drop it getting out of the car or something.

They've had some variation of "if we gently caress it up, let us know and we'll remake it ASAP" for a while, since 10-ish years ago when they put out those commercials where they acknowledged that everyone said their pizza was crap and they actually improved the recipe.

To their credit, they did own up to the fact they had the worst pizza of the national chains...it was like ketchup and Elmer's glue on cardboard. I'm not saying it's fantastic now, but it's passable and a lot better than it was.

I believe they’re referencing a new ad they started this last year. They now have two fake insurance products they advertise. One is “carryout insurance,” for if you gently caress up, and the other is “delivery insurance” for if they screw up the order. AKA what they’ve always done, but Branded™.

The carryout ads were at least vaguely amusing. The delivery ones act like if you call about missing olives on your pizza they spring into action like they’re on their way to defuse a bomb.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Jeremy_Danner/status/1214988252249235458

:911:

Never forget!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There was one morning that started with a jolt you've been trying to recreate since.

We're here to help.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

This is the worst atrocity-themed beverage since Auschlitz

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

Nagasaké is also pretty terrible.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Schindler’s Lifts are pretty successful, though.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Bobby Digital posted:

Nagasaké is also pretty terrible.

Nice. I'm also partial to Hirozima

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Sir Lemming posted:

The precursor of which was Cristal Nacht

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

I suppose these are worse than Not See Kola and Leninade.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

plainswalker75 posted:

The precursor of which was Cristal Nacht

That was a real disappointment, regular Nacht tasted way better.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Captain Hygiene posted:

That was a real disappointment, regular Nacht tasted way better.

Its the same thing its just more clear :rolleyes:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sunswipe posted:

I suppose these are worse than Not See Kola and Leninade.

I knew about

but the other one was a surprise to me.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Blue Moonlight posted:

I believe they’re referencing a new ad they started this last year. They now have two fake insurance products they advertise. One is “carryout insurance,” for if you gently caress up, and the other is “delivery insurance” for if they screw up the order. AKA what they’ve always done, but Branded™.

The carryout ads were at least vaguely amusing. The delivery ones act like if you call about missing olives on your pizza they spring into action like they’re on their way to defuse a bomb.

Another dumb marketing move aspect is that by advertising it as "insurance" that's "available" at their stores, it sounds like you have to pay extra if they deliver it wrong or whatever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Beachcomber posted:

I knew about

but the other one was a surprise to me.

This was super disappointing. I didn't have high hopes for Leninade but man was it a rough drink

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

This was super disappointing. I didn't have high hopes for Leninade but man was it a rough drink

It's more fun to have the bottle as a decoration than to actually drink, I don't think I've met anyone who actually likes it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So it's great in theory but in actual practice turns into a nightmare?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

And then you keep the corpse on display afterwards.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I thought it was overly sweet and too expensive for what it was, but other than that it was alright.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

So it's great in theory but in actual practice turns into a nightmare?

:golfclap:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I thought it was overly sweet and too expensive for what it was, but other than that it was alright.

That's a weird way to describe Lenin.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/labergee/status/1215309207966076928?s=21

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Marketer 1: How can we get the press to report on this car but not lead with how awful it looks? gently caress!
Marketer 2: I think you’re into something!
Marketer 3: Bonuses for everyone!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tesla thread is thataway -->

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've read/seen stats about pre-prohibition drinking in America and it really was off the charts bananas:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/08/the-1800s-when-americans-drank-whiskey-like-it-was.html

What do they consider a bottle?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

What do they consider a bottle?

quote:

As if it really needs saying, 7 gallons of ethanol per year, per capita, is an insane number. Consider this: My significant other and I both drink alcohol. If we were drinking at 1830 levels, we would be plowing through roughly 3.4 standard, 750 ml bottles of Jim Beam White Label Bourbon per week, in a single household. Our livers would be sending us every conceivable manner of distress signal, assuming they didn’t immediately shut down.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

For an 18th century take, here's Beer Street versus Gin Lane:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

*tugs collar nervously looking at weekly consumption*