Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

oldpainless posted:

Paying to do something you hate is already an everyday occurrence. How many people have gym memberships?

Most people with gym memberships either enjoy it or don't go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Like climbing the rope in gym-class.

Does that still work when you're an adult? Asking for a friend

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does that still work when you're an adult? Asking for a friend

The grown-up version is lookingtaking a phone picture over the railing at Glacier Point

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Elias_Maluco posted:

If you live in a non-english speaking country chances are you have been watching stuff with subtitles your whole life, so for us is hard to understand what the big deal is

Lot of countries just dub everything. Anything that goes on TV in my country is dubbed, with the exception of like foreign movies showed in the evening on the more "intellectual" channels. I started to hate dubbing after I got some grasp of english. I remember being mad at my dad that he bought Return of the King on VHS with dubbing only. I had some friends and relatives who avoided movies with subtitles though because they allegedly couldn't keep up.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Captain Jesus posted:

Lot of countries just dub everything. Anything that goes on TV in my country is dubbed, with the exception of like foreign movies showed in the evening on the more "intellectual" channels. I started to hate dubbing after I got some grasp of english. I remember being mad at my dad that he bought Return of the King on VHS with dubbing only. I had some friends and relatives who avoided movies with subtitles though because they allegedly couldn't keep up.

I gather in Japan most American movies are dubbed by the same two dozen voice actors that do all anime. They must be pretty busy.

I've also heard that the French Canadian King of the Hill dub just gives them all French names and says the show is set in Quebec. I do not know if this is true, but I can hope.

Also some pictures:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TCC.jpg

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Phy posted:

TCC.jpg

That's the armacy

Edit: The Harmacist would be a solid low budget pro wrestler persona. "I'm here to fill your prescription...for pain."

Theris has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Jan 8, 2020

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mind the walrus posted:

Nothing says "great place to work" like both parties trying to scam the other from the very first

It's not necessarily a scam - a lot of times it's the HR person asking some tech meathead "what are the requirements" and that guy just responds to the E-mail with his "nice to haves" instead of the actual minimum baseline.

It's even worse for "list of tech experience", where you end up with dumb stuff like the job requiring 5 years of experience for a programming framework that came out 2 years ago. Companies have no idea what they want, just apply anyway.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Killer robot posted:

I've also heard that the French Canadian King of the Hill dub just gives them all French names and says the show is set in Quebec. I do not know if this is true, but I can hope.

Crisse de câlisse de sacrament de tabarnak d’osti de ciboire, Bobby!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

theflyingorc posted:

It's not necessarily a scam - a lot of times it's the HR person asking some tech meathead "what are the requirements" and that guy just responds to the E-mail with his "nice to haves" instead of the actual minimum baseline.

It's even worse for "list of tech experience", where you end up with dumb stuff like the job requiring 5 years of experience for a programming framework that came out 2 years ago. Companies have no idea what they want, just apply anyway.

Or HR just doesn't even invovle IT at all, and makes up their own requirements.

Protip: Avoid any place that has HR controlling hiring practices.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Ugh, I wish Nintendo would stop making clone characters. He's exactly like Light Gary except his attacks hit slightly harder and he is a bit slower, wow, good job, great design.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DontMockMySmock posted:

Ugh, I wish Nintendo would stop making clone characters. He's exactly like Light Gary except his attacks hit slightly harder and he is a bit slower, wow, good job, great design.

Ugh, I hate "fans" that obviously only came in with the latest game and don't know the history. For your information, Dark Grey Hat came first, and he was a well balanced character. And then they added Light Grey Hat to appease the casuals so they could ride on his better sweet spot and easier air control. loving pathetic.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Who What Now posted:

Ugh, I hate "fans" that obviously only came in with the latest game and don't know the history. For your information, Dark Grey Hat came first, and he was a well balanced character. And then they added Light Grey Hat to appease the casuals so they could ride on his better sweet spot and easier air control. loving pathetic.

You hosed this one up right off the bat.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Dark Gary in the sheets, Light Gary in the streets.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Piss poor

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Or HR just doesn't even invovle IT at all, and makes up their own requirements.

Protip: Avoid any place that has HR controlling hiring practices.

No just avoid any place that has dumb fucks controlling hiring practices, which is hard to know in advance. And yeah you just apply anyway. If you want to feel good about hitting a minimum threshold say it was internship experience which at least the major background check company we use doesn't verify.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just burn down capitalism.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm sure HR still exists under communism.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Great album imo.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
also, whoever claimed unemployment is “crazy low right now” is buying a lie.

Almost 50% of those employed folks are making less then 18k a year, many less. The gig economy, low wages and low benefits are destroying the workforce.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah anyone who talks about unemployment figures without also talking about underemployment figures is pushing a conservative agenda.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Abongination posted:

Almost 50% of those employed folks are making less then 18k a year, many less. The gig economy, low wages and low benefits are destroying the workforce.

Yeah but have you seen how much value is being made for the shareholders?

:guillotine:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Nah they're just using the literal translation of Dark Gary's name in the original Japanese version. The American Dark Gary was a translation error, but it stuck for future releases in the franchise. Light Gary has always been called Light Gary, though, even in the Japanese version, as a nod to the popularity of the mistake in fan groups. Some "hardcore" weeb fans refuse to accept it, though.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Abongination posted:

Anyone who is making $25 a week is considered employed. It's just a bullshit statistic used to garnish support from rock loving stupid Republican supporters.

Currently theres a rather high unemployment rate for middle-class type work (i.e. anything needed to support yourself in a one-bedroom apartment and not starve in the process).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The US Department of Labor publishes six different unemployment rates. If someone quotes a figure at you, ask them which one they mean.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Aleph Null posted:

Dark Gary in the sheets, Light Gary in the streets.

I have two personalities
Lightest Gary you will ever meet
AND...
Twisted loving Dark Gary

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Inside you are two Garys

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Parrotine posted:

Anyone who is making $25 a week is considered employed.

What, really?
I can't wait for nuclear fire to cleanse the earth.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

This is violence of the worst order.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
In college, I actually looked into gore-tex and/or waterproof socks so I could wear my Birkenstocks in the winter. In Pittsburgh.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

the Dad Energy here is too much even for me

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Abongination posted:

It's still putting a ton of pressure on hiring, the past several companies I've worked for have found it impossible to hire because of competition from other companies lately

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

theflyingorc posted:

It's still putting a ton of pressure on hiring, the past several companies I've worked for have found it impossible to hire because of competition from other companies lately

They can't hire people because they refuse to pay them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's this. It's really loving this.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They refuse to offer more money for a position. Once a position goes unfilled for a certain amount of time, a company can more easily apply for visas to bring in overseas workers, or apply for H1B’s.

The low salaries are deliberate, and have a number of other benefits as well. They help suppress wage growth, can be used as data to prevent minimum wage increases, empty positions can be used to attract tax breaks, etc.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hey, I come here for funny pictures, not soul crushing reasons why I'll never make a living wage

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hey, I come here for funny pictures, not soul crushing reasons why I'll never make a living wage

memes are a psyop to mollify the populace from revolution

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Inside you are two Garys
Are they on the edge of a cliff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Knormal posted:

Are they on the edge of a cliff?