Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My preferred EDC pen has a swept/bent nib. Do they make an italic swept nib?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

bulletsponge13 posted:

My preferred EDC pen has a swept/bent nib. Do they make an italic swept nib?

Bent upward like a fude nib? I've never heard of one like that. Perhaps try an oblique?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

atholbrose posted:

The Fusion nib, which is a pretty great, smooth steel nib with a gold overlay glued to it because superconductivity, I think? Just looked it up again and I was kind of right; the thermal conductivity of the gold warms the nib and makes the ink flow better. According to Delta, that is.

ahh yes, the gold must be warming to room temperature, which must surely be different than the rest of the nib and pen that are at *checks notes* room temperature

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

There are so many small fountain pen reviewers on youtube that get free poo poo sent to them. Maybe I need to get in on this.

edit: A lot of the YouTube pen people seem nice enough. I'm mostly surprised at how low the threshold for free stuff seems to be.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 3, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
My most recent Delta

I need to get more large, obnoxious pens. Too many "classy" Deltas lately.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

What percentage of the volume of your home is filled with deltas? At some point you are going to suffocate!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

taqueso posted:

What percentage of the volume of your home is filled with deltas? At some point you are going to suffocate!

the parts that aren't filled with rocks to take pictures of them on.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'm actually building a giant vault in my backyard for my Deltas. Soon I should have enough to fulfill my ultimate goal, which is to have enough that I can swim around in them like Scrooge McDuck.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

But what if they scratch each other?! :ohdear:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

the swimming vault is only the doubles

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Goddamnit, the Delta I was actually waiting for arrived today....

...and the nib has clearly been smacked sideways against something, bending the tines towards the right. Not a fun loving issue to fix.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

tater_salad posted:

the parts that aren't filled with rocks to take pictures of them on.

That’s the bathroom floor

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Soricidus posted:

That’s the bathroom floor

:perfect:

Does he have a bathroom females enjoy?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
It's well know that Delta pens are panty droppers.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Don't poke around any further or you'll find load bearing pens.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Come on guys, it ain't that bad

I only have two more in the mail, too.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

grack posted:

Tag urself, i'm bottom row second from left.

sweet collection my dude

I got a sampler of Diamine Marine in the mail today along with a journal because I thought I lost my old one that was half empty...which I found 2 days after placing the order too late to cancel it. Guess I have a lot of writing to do now.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

grack posted:

Is this a cry for help, grack? Are the Deltas keeping you hostage? Blink once for yes, twice for no.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Old silver Parker 35 fiber-tip pen with a bent body and cap, probably got stepped on at some point. The plastic hood was cracked at the screws, and the holder ring near it was in a D shape. The inner plastic body was also loose, both from the deformation and because the bottom jewel holding it in place was long gone.

Silver FrankenVector.

... I'll show myself out.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
grack, which of those if any do you use day to day? Do you have some daily drivers or do you rotate things out? I think you mentioned before that you have a profession where you write in front of clients, is there a fashion element to your collection?

I'm just generally curious as someone that went overboard buying cheapish pens and way too much ink and then decided that the Lamy 2000 and Asa Gao are probably what I'm going to use for life, they even became kinda signature items for me stylistically. If it's just collecting, I get that too, God help me if there's ever a thread for posting catrinas.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

meinstein posted:

grack, which of those if any do you use day to day? Do you have some daily drivers or do you rotate things out? I think you mentioned before that you have a profession where you write in front of clients, is there a fashion element to your collection?

I'm just generally curious as someone that went overboard buying cheapish pens and way too much ink and then decided that the Lamy 2000 and Asa Gao are probably what I'm going to use for life, they even became kinda signature items for me stylistically. If it's just collecting, I get that too, God help me if there's ever a thread for posting catrinas.

Ah, well, the first thing you have to understand is that the picture is *just* my Delta collection. I have over 100 other pens that I frankly just don't bother posting pictures of because they're not nearly as interesting (or amusing). So yes, collecting is a big part.

Now all that said, I am in a profession where I write a lot. I'm a Financial Planner by trade, and much of my work consists of sitting down and conducting personal interviews with clients. I made a conscious choice to hand write my interviews rather than type them, as I find I tend to interact more doing the former. My daily driver is a Pilot Custom 912 with a soft fine nib, though over the last six months or so I've been using other pens as well.

In terms of actual usage, the Dolcevita (the bright orange monstrosity on the top left) gets used regularly, as I use it for highlighting and up-marking interviews for analysis. Over last month or so I've been using the sterling silver Grafitti (top row, seventh from the right) as a daily driver. The rest don't get a lot of use and are pretty much entirely for collecting purposes. I do, on occasion, grab something from the collection and use it for a couple of days, though.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

meinstein posted:

God help me if there's ever a thread for posting catrinas.

... not the point, I know, but now I want to see some cool catrinas :allears:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
In DC for several weeks, went by Fahrney's yesterday to pick up a bottle of ink (Montblanc Irish Green) and left wanting the MB Walt Disney pen after holding a bunch of pens. I've been trying to pick up this ink for a while now and glad to finally snag some, despite it being a core ink, I've had bad luck trying to source it in person at several shops. (Yes, online is a thing, but I forgot about the ink more than once.)

grack posted:

Ah, well, the first thing you have to understand is that the picture is *just* my Delta collection. I have over 100 other pens that I frankly just don't bother posting pictures of because they're not nearly as interesting (or amusing). So yes, collecting is a big part.

Now all that said, I am in a profession where I write a lot. I'm a Financial Planner by trade, and much of my work consists of sitting down and conducting personal interviews with clients. I made a conscious choice to hand write my interviews rather than type them, as I find I tend to interact more doing the former. My daily driver is a Pilot Custom 912 with a soft fine nib, though over the last six months or so I've been using other pens as well.

In terms of actual usage, the Dolcevita (the bright orange monstrosity on the top left) gets used regularly, as I use it for highlighting and up-marking interviews for analysis. Over last month or so I've been using the sterling silver Grafitti (top row, seventh from the right) as a daily driver. The rest don't get a lot of use and are pretty much entirely for collecting purposes. I do, on occasion, grab something from the collection and use it for a couple of days, though.

Grack: would you mind if I PM you?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Electronaut posted:

Grack: would you mind if I PM you?

Go nuts

grack
Jan 10, 2012

New Delta day today!

Sterling silver cap and grip, and sparkly turquoise barrel with an 18k nib. Also I got a random Jinhao in the mail that I didn't order. :shrug:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Maybe your postman just drops off pens they find at this point.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

grack posted:

New Delta day today!

Sterling silver cap and grip, and sparkly turquoise barrel with an 18k nib. Also I got a random Jinhao in the mail that I didn't order. :shrug:

You make me feel better about my small collection.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

grack posted:

Also I got a random Jinhao in the mail that I didn't order. :shrug:
Happy Secret Santa part 2 assuming it’s the same Jinhao I ordered you.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Nine of Eight posted:

Happy Secret Santa part 2 assuming it’s the same Jinhao I ordered you.

Ah, okay, thank you. I was a little confused.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Hey guys and gals, I got around to thinking out my collection (still have like 20 pens but they are probably not worth enough to be sold) and a couple of them are more unusual so I wanted to mention it here. There’s a vintage Wahl Skyline (the one with the gold filled cap) that I got from Greg Minuskin and a Desiderata flex pen that isn’t made anymore from the earlier days of the company - I haven’t used them regularly for a little while now so I’m hoping to find good homes (there’s also a Waterman Carene and an oddball silver ballpoint pen). I made a thread for them if anyone is interested https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911039&perpage=40

I did have one question too. I’m not too concerned about this since I would be doing it with cheaper pens but is there any chance to mess up a nib writing upside down with it? I was reading about someone who used fountain pens for their own and ink drawings and for the fine details they flipped the pen upside down. I would assume that with little pressure it would be ok but other than looking weird is there any potential for issues by doing that? Seems appealing to have both a medium and fine nib at the same time essentially by just flipping the pen.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

rio posted:

Hey guys and gals, I got around to thinking out my collection (still have like 20 pens but they are probably not worth enough to be sold) and a couple of them are more unusual so I wanted to mention it here. There’s a vintage Wahl Skyline (the one with the gold filled cap) that I got from Greg Minuskin and a Desiderata flex pen that isn’t made anymore from the earlier days of the company - I haven’t used them regularly for a little while now so I’m hoping to find good homes (there’s also a Waterman Carene and an oddball silver ballpoint pen). I made a thread for them if anyone is interested https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911039&perpage=40

I did have one question too. I’m not too concerned about this since I would be doing it with cheaper pens but is there any chance to mess up a nib writing upside down with it? I was reading about someone who used fountain pens for their own and ink drawings and for the fine details they flipped the pen upside down. I would assume that with little pressure it would be ok but other than looking weird is there any potential for issues by doing that? Seems appealing to have both a medium and fine nib at the same time essentially by just flipping the pen.

I write with the back of the nib all the time. Not all nibs are ground well for it, of course. My Lamys all do so flawlessly, but the corners are sharp and it's like an italic. Sometimes paper gets stuck in the nib but a quick floss fixes it. No extra pressure needed.

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

An ink question: I recently bought a Lamy 2000 which wrote like silk in the shop, but is a bit hit-and-miss now I’m using it.

In the shop it was tested by dipping the nib in an inkwell, so I’m wondering if the ink from the reservoir isn’t flowing very effectively.

Any suggestions for something I can try to make it flow better, or a better ink to try? I’m currently using black Faber-Castell “High quality ink”.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Try one of the Rohrer and Khlinger inks. Those perform superbly.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

richardm posted:

An ink question: I recently bought a Lamy 2000 which wrote like silk in the shop, but is a bit hit-and-miss now I’m using it.

In the shop it was tested by dipping the nib in an inkwell, so I’m wondering if the ink from the reservoir isn’t flowing very effectively.

Any suggestions for something I can try to make it flow better, or a better ink to try? I’m currently using black Faber-Castell “High quality ink”.

I have Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-peki in a Lamy Safari and it works great.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Faber-Castell makes decent quality ink.

I'd suggest a thorough cleaning would be a better start. Basically just fill and empty the reservoir in a sink full of warm but not hot water a bunch of times.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I have Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-peki in a Lamy Safari and it works great.

Iroshizuku always works great in what I’d consider problem pens for me and kon peki is a great color.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

grack posted:

I'd suggest a thorough cleaning would be a better start. Basically just fill and empty the reservoir in a sink full of warm but not hot water a bunch of times.

Wear some disposable/kitchen gloves though, in case that's not obvious.

Also gonna chime in with Iroshizuku inks flow delightfully. The biggest mindfuck of this hobby was discovering that the company I only knew for cheapass high-quality bar pens (I've still got a bunch of G2 EFs somewhere) actually makes great pens and inks. Now I've got a VP I keep loaded with Tsuki-Yo.

Wish I'd seen a Varsity a decade ago, but it's probably for the best I didn't.

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 16, 2020

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FFT posted:

Wear some disposable/kitchen gloves though, in case that's not obvious.

Also gonna chime in with Iroshizuku inks flow delightfully. The biggest mindfuck of this hobby was discovering that the company I only knew for cheapass high-quality bar pens (I've still got a bunch of G2 EFs somewhere) actually makes great pens and inks. Now I've got a VP I keep loaded with Tsuki-Yo.

Wish I'd seen a Varsity a decade ago, but it's probably for the best I didn't.

I've got a bunch of pens and my favorites are the mid-size Pilots Parallel ($5 each) and the Pilot Kakuno ($5), even over the few Metros I've had.

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

Thanks everyone, I’ll try a good clean then hit the ink shop if it’s still not right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

richardm posted:

Thanks everyone, I’ll try a good clean then hit the ink shop if it’s still not right.

Also paper makes a difference... Printer paper will not be as nice as a good notebook, there is a marked difference.