Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

silvergoose posted:

Wind the Film! is a newer saashi Japanese card game that sorta combines that can't rearrange mechanic with the ordered set collection of lost cities. One of my favorite card games. Impossible to get ahold of, I don't have a copy, chill sell me your copy please.

Oh man I bought a copy of this in japan and haven't managed to get it to the table yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I have a friend going to japan next week, are there any small box must have games I should request?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I was thinking of picking up some card holders. Are there any that work better with sleeved cards that have important information on the entire card?

edit: Ones with a gentle curve make me slightly nervous since I'd rather not bend my cards. Is this an issue in practice?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I have a friend going to japan next week, are there any small box must have games I should request?

Wind the Film
Let's make a bus route
Remember our Trip

Maybe MetroX

Your selection of Startups, Maskmen, Fafnir, Insider, A fake Artist goes to New York (honourable mentions to 9 tiles panic, Floatsam fight, deep sea adventure and pyramid deadline)

2nd and third are not that small box wise.

There is some other stuff but that's probably the classics, and also the stuff that won't be impossible to find at Yellow Submarine.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 9, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Psychic Pizza Deliverers Go to Ghost Town

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Got FCM base game for the holidays, and have been playing it 2 player a bunch. I love it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

M a x posted:

Good news its coming to the US this year. Source

Yeah I know, I just hope they keep the art and card quality. So solid.

xiw posted:

Oh man I bought a copy of this in japan and haven't managed to get it to the table yet.

It's so, so good.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

M a x posted:

Good news its coming to the US this year. Source

I'm lolling at your username, nothing more.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

Yeah I know, I just hope they keep the art and card quality. So solid.

They still haven't answered that question.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chill la Chill posted:

They still haven't answered that question.

Yeah I know, I'm subscribed to the game. :v:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

KPC_Mammon posted:

I was thinking of picking up some card holders. Are there any that work better with sleeved cards that have important information on the entire card?

edit: Ones with a gentle curve make me slightly nervous since I'd rather not bend my cards. Is this an issue in practice?

I got a bunch of uberstax as a gift and they're useful, especially as space savers. Pretty sure funagain carries them.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I was delighted to discover this evening that Ganz Schön Clever is, in fact, pretty darn clever. The box art does it a disservice, making it look like yet another dull dice game, but I don't know what else they could have done.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Thanks a lot, thread. I had happily skipped the Kickstarter, reasoning that Archipelago was the only Boelinger I really needed in my life, and then your discussion of it made me go and buy someone's KS copy of Living Planet. Granted, at slightly cheaper than if I'd bought it from the KS, but still. It's the principle of the thing. I'd convinced myself 2020 was the year of downsizing.

But it does look really good. Weird that it seems to have gotten almost no hype.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It was a fairly small KS as these things go and also Boelinger is still a cult designer unfortunately.

Full disclosure: the dude is basically my go-to designer (along with Vlaada), I like all his stuff and I'm probably going to be pretty easy on it compared to a "regular" person, he's just on my wavelength. I honestly think stuff like 4 Gods - which just totally sank out of sight with zero impact - is extremely good (it's basically real-time Carcasonne that plays in around 20 minutes and is a GREAT filler game that still requires some thought and strategy) and better than a lot of what people rave about on BGG but what can you do? Earth Reborn is legit the best 2 player tac minis game ever made and it just never caught on. Never got to play Dungeon Twister but people love it. You just have to accept that for whatever reason he hasn't busted into the mainstream and very few people are following him unlike guys like Eric Lang, Vlaada, Martin Wallace, etc.

Also I will say that his highest profile release after Dungeon Twister has probably been Archipelago and that's an extremely divisive game and, I would argue, the semi-co-op nature doesn't quite work in it (and the theme is, of course, kinda gross).

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 10, 2020

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Living Planet has also been super mega delayed as well. Once it gets into people's hands it might get some steam up again.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Boelinger is a cult classic because, as Megaman's Jockstrap put it earlier, he designs exactly on the cusp of Euro/Ameritrash. His games are all mean logistics engines with the capability to mess with other players and actually keeping your poo poo together is very hard. Archipelago rests upon the idea that its better to not visibly get too far ahead of other players or they might sink the game. Living Planet allows players to collude to blow up your infrastructure.
I think people are gradually backing in to the spirit he designs in with the popularity of Root and Pax Pamir 2e, which I would also put on that cusp, but it's a pretty weird niche.

Living Planet has goddamn pipelines and player-started targeted disasters and a stock market where you can deliberately short a stock to gently caress over the table. Its wild. It has options to play with less than 4 but they're a joke. It's the meanest version of Roads & Boats. 99 percent of the people I've played games with would hate it. The remaining 1 percent is my board game group.

(also Megaman i bought Earth Reborn like 3 or 4 years ago based on what you said itt and it is in fact extremely good, shame I've played it like 3 times.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It was a fairly small KS as these things go and also Boelinger is still a cult designer unfortunately.

Full disclosure: the dude is basically my go-to designer (along with Vlaada), I like all his stuff and I'm probably going to be pretty easy on it compared to a "regular" person, he's just on my wavelength. I honestly think stuff like 4 Gods - which just totally sank out of sight with zero impact - is extremely good (it's basically real-time Carcasonne that plays in around 20 minutes and is a GREAT filler game that still requires some thought and strategy) and better than a lot of what people rave about on BGG but what can you do? Earth Reborn is legit the best 2 player tac minis game ever made and it just never caught on. Never got to play Dungeon Twister but people love it. You just have to accept that for whatever reason he hasn't busted into the mainstream and very few people are following him unlike guys like Eric Lang, Vlaada, Martin Wallace, etc.

Also I will say that his highest profile release after Dungeon Twister has probably been Archipelago and that's an extremely divisive game and, I would argue, the semi-co-op nature doesn't quite work in it (and the theme is, of course, kinda gross).

Claustrophobia 1643 was a surprisingly big KS though.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jedit posted:

Claustrophobia 1643 was a surprisingly big KS though.

Don't believe he designed on that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Give me my Dungeon Twister complete edition drat it. Possibly with less parasitic designs like the angel of light.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Give me my Dungeon Twister complete edition drat it. Possibly with less parasitic designs like the angel of light.

Dungeon Twister suffered from being 2-player only out of the box and having a 4-player expansion that was basically the original game in different colours and without a rulebook.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The card design of information for the cards of Earth Reborn is atrocious. You can get definitely get used to it, but the redesigns someone put up on BBG are x10 better. Poor Earth Reborn, we hardly knew ye

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I made the mistake of purchasing the 5x5 kallax to use as a room divider, and now these bare shelves thirst for fresh cardboard.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Couple quick questions -

My brother got me Azul: Summer Pavillion for Xmas. Cool. Already have Azul though. Probably can get rid of the original, right? Consensus seems to be SP is Azul: But Better?

Also finally picked up The Norwegians for Feast For Odin - was planning on playing FFO with a friend (and possibly their partner) next week for their first time - should I include Norwegians, or just do Base Game? Norwegians has definitely seemed like "the patch to make it fun" but I'm wary of expansions on first play.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah you can throw in Norwegians. No new rules really and actually less spaces available so it's smooth. For Azul I've heard arguments for why every version is best so I'd try the new one a few times and see how you feel before deciding but probably no reason to have both.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
Personally I still have all 3 Azul as they all seem to offer a different experience. The original allows you to play it as nice or mean as you want while stained glass feels like it's designed to be more mean. Summer pavilion is by far the friendliest of the 3 with the ability to carry over tiles to the next round. I've only played it once and haven't really delved into but we had very limited player interaction in our first game. One of my friends said it felt like a solitaire version of Azul. Personally, if I had to choose one to keep it would probably still be the original. I still think that's the best version.

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007
I'm pretty new to board games, and I'm looking for some recommendations for light to mid-weight euros (or at least I think that's the right descriptor) that play in about one to two hours and quick filler games that play in about half an hour or less, especially those that play well with two.

For light to mid-weight euros, so far I've enjoyed Gold West, Castles of Burgundy, Carcassone, Tiny Towns, and Finca. For quick fillers, I've enjoyed Kingdomino, Red7, Bandido, Jaipur, Hanabi, Guillotine, and Onitama. I've also just ordered Istanbul, Tzolk'in, and Condottiere.

Games I'm considering include Concordia, Tobago, Hansa Teutonica, Grand Austria Hotel, Cottage Garden, Piepmatz, 6 Nimmt!, and Hanamikoji. It seems like some of these are out of print, though.

I'm not against heavier games with a longer play time, but I'm a bit intimidated and unsure where to start. I have a vague feeling that I don't/won't love auction mechanics, but I might just be underestimating my ability to assess value and risk. If anyone has any strong feelings on any of the games I'm considering or new suggestions, I'm all ears.

mellifluous fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 10, 2020

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Your tastes and mine have a lot of overlap!

On the filler side, look at Raptor, Schotten Totten, Qwixx, maybe Goodcritters. Also, get a Rage deck, teach your friends Sticheln.

Light to mid Euros... I'd say Blue Lagoon, Ra, Via Nebula, Fresco, and possibly Broom Service.

Istanbul and Condottierre are real good poo poo. If you go on BGG, you'll find a ton of grognards telling you that the new version of Condottierre is a mockery of the beautiful and perfect original, but I've enjoyed it just fine.

And then I look at your list. Tobago probably is out of print. Consider Cryptid instead? If you want other deduction games, Zendo, or wait for Awkward Guests to hit retail sometime soonish. 6 Nimmt is a marvelous filler that plays differently at different player counts, and just a good deck of cards to have, since it also lets you play The Game, The Mind, and No Thanks!, which is one of the best fillers literally ever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mellifluous posted:

Games I'm considering include Concordia, Tobago, Hansa Teutonica, Grand Austria Hotel, Cottage Garden, Piepmatz, 6 Nimmt!, and Hanamikoji. It seems like some of these are out of print, though.

Concordia is a good place to start. The standalone Venus edition is your man here.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Deathlove posted:

Couple quick questions -

My brother got me Azul: Summer Pavillion for Xmas. Cool. Already have Azul though. Probably can get rid of the original, right? Consensus seems to be SP is Azul: But Better?

For me I think OG Azul is the weakest of the three, Stained Glass Azul is the most interactive and 'gamey' of the 3, Summer Pavilion is the friendliest. I just don't see myself ever playing OG Azul if I had Stained Glass Azul on the shelf.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I'll be the first second to recommend Concordia. It has a lot of interesting decisions to make but without too much of a rules overload. I was very hesitant about a game with such a dry theme but every group I've played it with has really enjoyed it.

I've also played it with 2-5 players and with the varying maps each player count has worked well.

Good, simple and fun. It's my benchmark for what I expect from a midweight euro now.

Redundant fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 10, 2020

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I like original Azul better than stained glass Azul because I think the colors are prettier. :3:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Previously: I have two Azul, I should get rid of one

Now: I should have...three Azul :hmmyes:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I like base Azul but I’m at the point where I have played it so much I’m ready for a new one. I’m going to buy Summer Pavilion and then gift Azul to my wife’s friend who is just getting into games.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hansa Teutonica!!!!! Love that game. Starts out looking like multi player solitaire, ends up with a lot of annoyed players (they'll get over it when they see the strategic possibilities).

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
How is Clank! Legacy? I wasn't that impressed with the original but legacy games will at least get me to look at it. Even if the only actual one I've finished is Pandemic Season 1.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Hansa Teutonica!!!!! Love that game. Starts out looking like multi player solitaire, ends up with a lot of annoyed players (they'll get over it when they see the strategic possibilities).

It’s out of print and hard to find because no one wants to get rid of it!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Losem posted:

How is Clank! Legacy? I wasn't that impressed with the original but legacy games will at least get me to look at it. Even if the only actual one I've finished is Pandemic Season 1.

I haven't played it. But Seafall has convinced the thread hivemind that a legacy game needs to be based on a functional base game to work well.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

golden bubble posted:

I haven't played it. But Seafall has convinced the thread hivemind that a legacy game needs to be based on a functional base game to work well.

Don’t forget Charterstone sucked too!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s out of print and hard to find because no one wants to get rid of it!

Looks like the French version is easier to come by:

https://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/hansa-teutonica-french-edition?_pos=2&_sid=e1fd2324f&_ss=r

Just grab the rules from BGG and have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

Looks like the French version is easier to come by:

https://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/hansa-teutonica-french-edition?_pos=2&_sid=e1fd2324f&_ss=r

Just grab the rules from BGG and have fun!

The OP mentioned Hansa Teutonica so that's why I suggested it :). If you do buy it, be sure to buy the East expansion as well (also available there), as it really opens the game up.