Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Like again: I love my murder goth for who he is as a character (he's basically like if Tharja and Frederick had a baby), but let's not pretend that he isn't an rear end in a top hat.

spoilers for part 1:

my first playthrough was Black Eagles. I appreciated his take on Jeralt's death, something like "I'm not one for condolences, but here's something practical about catching the culprit.

Then I played Blue Lions, and he just does "I'm not one for condolences." end of sentence and I laughed my rear end off. Never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hubert is the best boy in the game

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

and come to think of it, Hubert's mysterious assassinations and schemes are positively humanitarian compared to the death toll from an actual battle.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
the only thing hubert has ever done to anger me is learn meteor as an npc but not when he is on your team

individualized spell lists are cool and good, but it would also have been cool if they were more generous with the really useful spells

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

capitaldelendaest posted:

the only thing hubert has ever done to anger me is learn meteor as an npc but not when he is on your team

individualized spell lists are cool and good, but it would also have been cool if they were more generous with the really useful spells

This. Also, Hubert and Edelgard should 100% have Warp on their list of spells.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

giving manuela and hilda bolting was a cruel joke

was super bummed at how boring the avatar's spell list is too. mage avatar was a disappointment all around

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Annette is cool because if you glue the Bolt Axe+ to her and make her a wyvern rider, now she is essentially a flying mage with two Rallies. I wish it was viable to do this in reverse with Hilda somehow.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

was super bummed at how boring the avatar's spell list is too. mage avatar was a disappointment all around

Hilda getting Bolting is great. "You know, I could walk all the way over there to deal with you, OR I could just stay where I am instead."

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Cythereal posted:

"Stop making me hit you! You're just as bad as you say I am because you hit back!" is always tedious logic.

AM makes the point that no matter what Edelgard's motives are, thousands upon thousands of people who have nothing to do with her fight or her goals are suffering and dying because of her actions.

I think Edelgard is exactly the same as Rhea: she's been grievously hurt and is fighting to unmake the world that permitted the evil that happened to her so she can make a new world where that evil can never happen. And I think both are tyrants leading cults of personality who do not know or care why anyone opposes them, they're so convinced of their own righteousness that anyone who does oppose them must be deluded or evil.

AM is great because both Edelgard and Rhea end up in the dumpster at the end.

I mean, you're welcome to think that Edelgard is wrong. I was correcting a misunderstanding you seemed to have about her as a character. She absolutely thinks that war and violence are bad; the fact that she feels she has no choice but to engage in them weighs heavily on her, to the point that it causes her to view herself quite negatively at times. This is explicit in the text, and trying to deny it is just weird.

I find it interesting that some people feel the need to paint Edelgard as some kind of bloodthirsty, callous monster to disagree with her. It's just... not a reasonable interpretation of her character based on what the game presents. I realize that these kinds of political themes can conjure strong feelings (heck, they do in me), but maybe take a step back once you're at the point where you're just sort of... making things up about a character and using that as a cudgel to avoid admitting that there might be some degree of nuance.

Like, just to illustrate, I disagree with Dimitri; I think he's wrong to oppose Edelgard (though he does so for understandable reasons), and that ultimately his view of the world is deeply flawed. But it would be unfair for me to say that Dimitri is a callous monster (well, outside of his crazy phase) who doesn't care that people are dying and suffering under the system that he's fighting to protect. He absolutely does care, and this is explicit in the story. He also cares about the victims of war, despite his decision to keep fighting it. These are just basic facts about his character; admitting them doesn't mean declaring that Dimitri is right. In fact, trying to make Dimitri out to be worse than he is would be counterproductive, because it would obscure the reasons that I actually think he's wrong.

Likewise, the whole point of whether Edelgard is right is separate. I think it's an interesting topic, but at this point it's a lot of the same stuff over and over again. And it can unfortunately poison any other discussion of the characters, as it did here: I made the point that obviously Dimitri can't really be a pacifist, given that he deliberately fought to extend the war because he believed that what he was fighting for was more important than peace. That's not me saying "Dimitri is a bad person for fighting the war"; I'm just pointing out that he obviously does think that war is sometimes necessary, and thus that both he and Edelgard can be judged on the basis of whether their decisions to fight were actually good ones. But you immediately jump to assuming that I'm making some kind of argument about the overall morality of Dimitri and Edelgard (while making a tedious, inaccurate analogy). It obscures the actual point I was making and lets you deflect from your inaccurate statements about her character.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Edelgard did nothing wrong

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm tired of debating if Edelgard was right in her aims and motives outweighing her actions.

We should instead debate fashion. Edelgard looks good, but I find her hairstyle disappointing. She absolutely looks better with the alternate hairstyle.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

actually for manuela it's good because now in NG+ I can do poo poo like this:

she got the kill on VW's boss iirc

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Hellioning posted:

I'm tired of debating if Edelgard was right in her aims and motives outweighing her actions.

We should instead debate fashion. Edelgard looks good, but I find her hairstyle disappointing. She absolutely looks better with the alternate hairstyle.

Nah, horns are basically the coolest possible fashion accessory.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Viscardus posted:

I mean, you're welcome to think that Edelgard is wrong. I was correcting a misunderstanding you seemed to have about her as a character. She absolutely thinks that war and violence are bad; the fact that she feels she has no choice but to engage in them weighs heavily on her, to the point that it causes her to view herself quite negatively at times. This is explicit in the text, and trying to deny it is just weird.

I think basically everything you're saying is right, but you're talking to someone who refuses to play Crimson Flower and get her perspective.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

e: nvm

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 9, 2020

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Man, another 100 posts while I was out.

Impressive.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

What remains important and immutable is that Edelgard and Byleth are in love with each other and it's :3:

https://twitter.com/lazymimium/status/1212163973380018178

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Hellioning posted:

Strong disagreement, the horns kick rear end

But I'm certain we can all agree that best boy and overdramatic goth Hubert definitely drew up his post-skip outfit as a baby edgelord and jumped at the chance to have it made reality when he was able

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

When my friend and I were streaming we made Edelgard a Mortal Savant and decreed that Edelgard had become a Hoshidoboo and discussed what anime she would be into before coming to the realization that she would be Manga-only. Hubert, trying to learn about what Edelgard's been into lately, reads Berserk and thinks it's hilarious.

This is canon btw.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Terper posted:

When my friend and I were streaming we made Edelgard a Mortal Savant and decreed that Edelgard had become a Hoshidoboo and discussed what anime she would be into before coming to the realization that she would be Manga-only. Hubert, trying to learn about what Edelgard's been into lately, reads Berserk and thinks it's hilarious.

This is canon btw.

https://twitter.com/makeinuencore/status/1155853823031689216

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hellioning posted:

did someone say fashion???

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DnnW28KL40

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/clovisXVII/status/1182191337300324352

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/AKN_646/status/1214911798849069057

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Edelgard good.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

this is my favorite one of these,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS3CcBLvd7c&t=6s

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
none of the three leaders can be very plausibly said to have institutionalized democracy by any realistic historical standard. democracy was never historically imposed top-down by an enlightened military despotism in the early modern era. the propitious historical conditions only arose bottom-up through the emergence of a self-governing citizenry in close relation to the internal development of a complex market economy, creative expansion of various constitutional traditions, and evolving commitments to equal status under the law. the gradual emergence of these conditions made it eventually possible for the state to be made newly responsible to society. that is one of the main limitations to 3H's historical allegory. the most analogous conflicts in the early modern era were conflicts between elites over the relative centralization (edelgard) and decentralization (dimitry, claude) of the state. the resolution of these intra/inter state conflicts facilitated certain of these broader social developments. state centralization, for instance, was closely affiliated with the destruction of unequal feudal status hierarchies, through the elevation of a single noble family to identification with the state, and through the destruction or sidelining of all other noble competitors by resort to an expanded bureaucracy. but this is obviously not equivalent to the institutionalization of participatory democracy.

Zane fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 9, 2020

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm tempted to do a run where it's just everyone as mortal savants. The weeaboo army is going to rise up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there any benefit to sticking with a Beginner/Intermediate class in the early game or should I be trying to beeline towards master classes?

My main frame of reference for job-based games is FFT and I remember there being some degenerate strategies with stat growth you could do by staying as a Squire/Chemist

Edit: Also lol why does Byleth say "I'm not setting a good example" every time she levels up

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 9, 2020

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there any benefit to sticking with a Beginner/Intermediate class in the early game or should I be trying to beeline towards master classes?

My main frame of reference for job-based games is FFT and I remember there being some degenerate strategies with stat growth you could do by staying as a Squire/Chemist

The mastery skills for Brigand and Mage are highly beneficial for maximizing physical and magical damage respectively, Pegasus Knight has a good mastery skill for getting in double hits on player phase, and Thief is the only way to steal from enemies outside of, again, equipping its mastery skill. Other than that, go for Advanced classes as soon as possible and maybe some of the Master classes if you feel like it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: Also lol why does Byleth say "I'm not setting a good example" every time she levels up

Each character has three level up lines, based on if they got 0-2 stats, (Byleth's "I'm not setting a good example") 3+ stats, and 6+ stats.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh for real? Is that just a random roll or is it affected by anything

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i'm on chapter 8 of my new game+ madness run and just realized i missed the quest for the merchant that sells crafting mats, thus cannot get him

mad

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh for real? Is that just a random roll or is it affected by anything

Each stat has a % chance of going up on level, with whatever class the unit is in adding in a modifier.

As an example, Byleth has a 45% chance of gaining Strength on each level. If they're classed as a Fighter, they gain an additional 5% chance to gain strength, but takes a 5% penalty to Res growth in exchange.

If you get lucky, it is entirely possible to get a level where every stat gets a boost. But on the other hand, there's nothing to stop you from gaining barely any. (Although I'm fairly sure the game is designed so you always get at least two stats per level)

An important thing to note is that you can use Divine Pulses to roll back a bad level, but levels are fixed for the entire map so you'll have to keep that unit out of combat until the next map.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think basically everything you're saying is right, but you're talking to someone who refuses to play Crimson Flower and get her perspective.

I watched a LP of it on youtube. I think I get her perspective, and I believe her ends do not justify her means and indeed render her victory innately tainted. I can see the world she builds lasting for her lifetime. Maybe her successor's. But unless she's willing to go Full Rhea, blood, corpses, and secrets in a war of naked aggression with underlying causes that will never be common knowledge is not the foundation of a lasting empire.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I watched a LP of it on youtube. I think I get her perspective, and I believe her ends do not justify her means and indeed render her victory innately tainted. I can see the world she builds lasting for her lifetime. Maybe her successor's. But unless she's willing to go Full Rhea, blood, corpses, and secrets in a war of naked aggression with underlying causes that will never be common knowledge is not the foundation of a lasting empire.

Do you not know that all the countries were formed around violent uprisings?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone drawn Dimitri as Doom Guy or Doom Slayer yet

quote:

I find it interesting that some people feel the need to paint Edelgard as some kind of bloodthirsty, callous monster to disagree with her. It's just... not a reasonable interpretation of her character based on what the game presents.

That's because in at least one campaign she's butchering the continent before literally becoming Satan. The Kingdom is pretty explicitly described as hyperfucked by her and her forces.

Come to think of it Claude taking a look at that and saying "no thanks" makes a lot more sense now

e: Also it will always be really funny to me that Noble, Upstanding Edelgard picked Jeritza "I lust for peasant death" the Death Knight as her right hand man. Even the molemen have nothing to do with that he's just there, murderin' away

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 9, 2020

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Edelgard is great, but looking forward to doing Claude's story, he seems like a cool guy

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Has anyone drawn Dimitri as Doom Guy or Doom Slayer yet

That's because in at least one campaign she's butchering the continent before literally becoming Satan. The Kingdom is pretty explicitly described as hyperfucked by her and her forces.

Come to think of it Claude taking a look at that and saying "no thanks" makes a lot more sense now

e: Also it will always be really funny to me that Noble, Upstanding Edelgard picked Jeritza "I lust for peasant death" the Death Knight as her right hand man. Even the molemen have nothing to do with that he's just there, murderin' away

The Kingdom was hyperfucked by being the Kingdom. Seriously, Faerghus loving sucks and Gilbert/Rodrigue saying "people are starving in the streets!" and acting like how that wasn't how Faerghus was before the coup is ridiculous.

Also, the one doing this is the Dukedom, which isn't actually part of the Empire - thanks translation errors! Edelgard moves into the western Kingdom to stop the Dukedom from expanding there.

And it's still better than what Faerghus did to Duscur anyway.

Edelgard picked up Jeritza to keep a cap on his bloodlust. And she mostly succeeded by keeping him on target and killing Siltherers. I don't think he'll ever even attack the villagers either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

BisbyWorl posted:

Each character has three level up lines, based on if they got 0-2 stats, (Byleth's "I'm not setting a good example") 3+ stats, and 6+ stats.

It can be weird when Byleth gets Strength and Speed though. That’s setting a great example my dude.