Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I'm planning to convert either a Gaunt Summoner or Lord of Change out of a Celestant Prime for my stormcast tzeentch army.

Im torn between keeping him on the 100mm he and the LoC use so I can have all the Astral swirly goodness from the prime, or ditch all that so I can stick him on a 40mm to be a gaunt summoner.

For a LoC, he'd get a bird head, bird wings, staff and whatever offhand is best (which one is best anyways?) and all the runes and lion chest plate would get tzeentch-ified.

As a Gaunt Summoner, he'd get a similar treatment, gaunt headswap, I'd use the feather cod piece as a shoulder pad and make sure all the weapons are correct and he's tzeentch-ified.

I think both would be cool, but I'm worried that even though the prime would be tall enough and on the right base to be a LoC, it might not have the same presence as the big bird man and it might be too much for a gaunt.

Alokgen fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I’m new to AoS and a buddy and I went in on the Feast of Souls box. We played a couple of games and I really dig the Bonereapers, any advice on what to buy next to get up to 1000-1500 points? I’m up to 720 with the box contents.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

screech on the beach posted:

I’m new to AoS and a buddy and I went in on the Feast of Souls box. We played a couple of games and I really dig the Bonereapers, any advice on what to buy next to get up to 1000-1500 points? I’m up to 720 with the box contents.

I've yet to actually play a game with Bonreapers but I'm in the same boat in building the army. I'd buy this guy first for cool healing powers.

A box of these guys to boost your battleline.

This guy to be a badass general and boost your army effectiveness:

and the terrain piece if you haven't already.

More or less in that order.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

A box of mortek guard to get your battlelines fleshed out. The harvester is a goto in just about every list. Soulmason is a very popular hero choice.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Awesomr, thanks guys. I can’t wait to get more games in and now I’m looking at how cool Nighthaunt looks. I feel I’m going to be broke for a while!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Are there any resources in the same vein of what tabletop tactics does for 40k to help someone actually git gud at AoS? Seems like there's so much nuance to the game, especially with deployment, positioning and piling in tactics, but I've yet to find a anywhere that really focuses on that stuff.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mikey Purp posted:

Are there any resources in the same vein of what tabletop tactics does for 40k to help someone actually git gud at AoS? Seems like there's so much nuance to the game, especially with deployment, positioning and piling in tactics, but I've yet to find a anywhere that really focuses on that stuff.

Goonhammer

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Hmm maybe I missed a section, but when I checked Goonhammer earlier there were only three generic (but excellent) articles by RichyP posted. I was hoping for articles and vids that go beyond the basics, similar to this YouTube vid that Tom Lyons did on advanced pile-in tactics, which was supposed to be that start of a series that never got off the ground.

I dunno, maybe there just isn't a huge audience for this kind of content? Nearly everything I've found has been one video or a website that hasn't been updated since 2017.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Get more Mortek Guard, at least two boxes. Stalkers are also pretty good in a unit of six. Crawlers are also amazing for sniping, get at least one but I've seen people using two. Add heroes to taste, I usually use a mix of Katakros or Arkhan, Liege-Kavalos, and one or two Boneshapers.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Mikey Purp posted:

Hmm maybe I missed a section, but when I checked Goonhammer earlier there were only three generic (but excellent) articles by RichyP posted. I was hoping for articles and vids that go beyond the basics, similar to this YouTube vid that Tom Lyons did on advanced pile-in tactics, which was supposed to be that start of a series that never got off the ground.

I dunno, maybe there just isn't a huge audience for this kind of content? Nearly everything I've found has been one video or a website that hasn't been updated since 2017.

There is an audience for it, there's just no-one writing about it. We would love to write more on Goonhammer but we just don't have the authors - RagnarokAngel and LightReaper only have so much time and energy to do it on their own (in comparison, the 40k start competing articles have about a dozen people who've done some kind of work on them, and the editors are a lot more experienced with 40k so it's easier for us to help with them).

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Starting a Night Huant army, is Garkorr, Bladegheist Revenant useful in anyway?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He’s just an alt sculpt for a Bladegheist Revenant. Nighthaunt have a couple like that, the box has them as a named character but they used the regular rules for their unit type. But yeah, Bladegheists are pretty good.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I saw that they're doing another of those weekly magazines where you get free models and paints and stuff but this time for AoS. Has anyone looked at it and seen if it looks a good deal? I saw if you pay a bit extra you get other races as well as golden boys and ghosties.

edit - adding link
https://www.warhammermortalrealms.com/how-it-works/

by.a.teammate fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 9, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's an absurdly good deal for Nighthaunts. Chainrasps cost 40 quid. While the first issue costs 3 quid.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Trees'n'Aelves

richyp posted:

3 More Kurnoth Hunters with Greatbows added

Need to buy 6 more for the sword unit, 10 more dryads and another wood (the 3 normal trees) to get the Sylvaneth up to 2000pts. Here's a group shot with the Elf substitutes in place.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

My first attempt at blending anything. I'll get another lighter colour on the bottom edges soon, but given how new I am to all of this painting stuff I....dont hate it?

CaptainApathyUK fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 9, 2020

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

by.a.teammate posted:

I saw that they're doing another of those weekly magazines where you get free models and paints and stuff but this time for AoS. Has anyone looked at it and seen if it looks a good deal? I saw if you pay a bit extra you get other races as well as golden boys and ghosties.

edit - adding link

This is how I'm starting the night haunt :D. Bought 3 copies of issue one already..

Edit: cheers for info Mcdeo.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart
My Ogor heroes finally came in, seriously I don't know what's up with the Mawtribe stuff but it comes back in stock for a quick minute then its gone. On a lighter note I got my first Butcher done, I'm calling him Lunch-Box

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How big are sigmar marines compared to primaris space marines?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
They're basically the same scale. I've seen some conversions use parts from Primaris and Stormcast together and be totally fine.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Wizard posted:

My Ogor heroes finally came in, seriously I don't know what's up with the Mawtribe stuff but it comes back in stock for a quick minute then its gone. On a lighter note I got my first Butcher done, I'm calling him Lunch-Box

I’ve basically given up on getting more Mawtribes any time soon and am just working on other stuff. Been waiting for iron guts to get in stock for months.

Nice chunky lads, by the way. Please feed them properly.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

by.a.teammate posted:

edit - adding link

That's a pretty spectacular deal that, of course, won't exist outside of the UK.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Bombogenesis posted:

I’ve basically given up on getting more Mawtribes any time soon and am just working on other stuff. Been waiting for iron guts to get in stock for months.

Nice chunky lads, by the way. Please feed them properly.

Yeah, I just picked some Ironguts in to expand my Ogres and I am glad I hit the few hour window when they were in stock. Same thing with the butcher, just set an alert and act immediately. They are direct only so it isn't like waiting for a better deal will pay off.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Horace-Noah posted:

Hey gang, long time no see.

I have a question: How do I get the link for the SA Warhammer discord?

What's your email?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

The Deleter posted:

They're basically the same scale. I've seen some conversions use parts from Primaris and Stormcast together and be totally fine.

Thank you my friend, that’s what I was looking to know :)

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The muscle-enthusiasts over at Goonhammer have a cozy little read for you today. Every single unit, artifact and gimmick from the new Slaves to Darkness book, reviewed scrutinised and bickered over:

https://www.goonhammer.com/slaves-to-darkness-battletome-analysis/

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Oh god, weapon choices! Is there like a flow chart or something for what I need on a weapon? Analysis Paralysis is killing me! Do I want Rend? Do I want an extra inch of range or do I want to do 5 attacks at 1 damage or 3 attacks at 2 damage!?!? I’m pulling my hair out. Am I overthinking it and just go for what looks the coolest?

This post is like 75% joking but for real it’s a bit much for my feeble brain.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Admittedly in aos the decisions are easier. Without going into deep math hammer heres my rules of thumb.

Rend is usually the primary choice because anything to break through armor (or obsolete worse armor) is important.

For range 1" is fine. 2" you likely wont have enough stuff piled in for it to matter unless the unit is HUGE (like over 20 models)

Damage, since damage rolls over in aos, just do napkin math multiplying the number of attacks x the damage and whichever is higher. But generally speaking if youre sacrificing to hit or rend to get more damage it isnt worth it.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Generally speaking, take shields of they are available over dual weapons or two handed weapons.

Take better hit and wound over better damage.

Take rend rend over damage.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

moths posted:

That's a pretty spectacular deal that, of course, won't exist outside of the UK.

The 40k one has slowly expanded through Europe and I believe Australia. The challenge is mostly finding the company to do the fulfilment of it - GW don't do it themselves.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Corrode posted:

The 40k one has slowly expanded through Europe and I believe Australia. The challenge is mostly finding the company to do the fulfilment of it - GW don't do it themselves.

I can’t imagine there aren’t twenty companies in North America who wouldn’t jump on the opportunity to handle fulfillment and distribution of a product like that here.

Or White Dwarf for that matter. (Bonus: people would actually subscribe to it here because you’d get it sooner than 3 weeks after it hits retailer store shelves.)

I doubt it’s a matter of logistics/fulfillment.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Amnistar posted:

Generally speaking, take shields of they are available over dual weapons or two handed weapons.

Take better hit and wound over better damage.

Take rend rend over damage.

Corollary though, for chaos warriors and tzaangors which let you mix freely, i find about half a unit with shields is good and stick em in the back since you can assign wounds. Otherwise its overkill

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RagnarokAngel posted:

chaos warriors... which let you mix freely

Is this from the new tome? Oh poo poo-

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Chaos warriors are definitely going to need a FAQ because that language around weapon mixing is kind of ambiguous when you look at the rules for each weapon type. The way the warscroll is written definitely suggests you can mix and match weapons within the unit but then the rule for the shields says you can use the save for "a unit that carries runeshields" and there I read "a unit" as "a unit of models with every model carrying one."

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Played my first game of new Disciples of Tzeentch last night.

20 man pink horror squads are pretty amazing at holding objectives. One of mine managed to only get ground down to 80% blues and the rest brimstones after 5 rounds of combat on one objective, admittedly aided quite a bit by managing to kill off his support/buffing heroes early on on that part of the board. With the cult bonus to add rend, they're pretty painful to get rid of along the way, just by sheer volume of shots too.

My flamers got wiped out early thanks to me being complacent and him getting off a very long charge, but in their limited time to shine they felt pretty reliable in putting out some hurt.

Overall, the new book felt pretty much like what I was hoping for. Updating of the original, making a few things more viable (I'm excited to try a mortal army, as I love the acolyte designs). Not going to flip the meta table, but I'm good with that; I'd rather Ossiarch Bonereapers and the like be toned down, then trying to add a jillion special rules and rerolls on everything for all the other armies.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Stormcast Eternals players, I got a box of Vanguard-Hunters, are they better with Longstrike or Hurricane crossbows? I play at 1000pts if it matters.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I haven't played warhammer since 2002 and just noticed they're bringing back my pointy alf boys at a time where I finally have the time and disposable income (and just moved near a GW store) to get back into the hobby. I have a bunch of 4th-6th edition models and holy crap have GW improved their models since I was into the hobby. I don't know if anyone ever tried to build the 6th edition pewter Phoenix Guard models but those have to be some of the worst I ever tried to deal with.

It seems like AoS has improved a lot with the new edition though, so I'm definitely interested and I appreciate the fact that this game seems to have a much lower cost of entry than fantasy did.

Upside is the resources for learning how to paint are insanely good now and I've started to use a bunch of old spearmen to practice highlighting, shading, wetblending etc.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 11, 2020

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Mikey Purp posted:

Chaos warriors are definitely going to need a FAQ because that language around weapon mixing is kind of ambiguous when you look at the rules for each weapon type. The way the warscroll is written definitely suggests you can mix and match weapons within the unit but then the rule for the shields says you can use the save for "a unit that carries runeshields" and there I read "a unit" as "a unit of models with every model carrying one."

this has been the case for tzaangors since forever

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Actually the tzaangors warscroll is much clearer in comparison, and it got even more explicit with the Tzeentch tome update. I don't have the tome in front of me, but the warscroll was very deliberate about saying "a unit is made up of X models that can be armed with various weapons" and the shield rule in particular said something along the lines of "when assigning wounds or mortal wounds to a tzaangors unit containing models with arcanite shields" or some such. It left a little room for interpretation but wasn't as open-ended as the new warriors scroll is.

That's one thing about AOS that's pretty weird to me...like why can't they maintain a lexicon of phrases for similar rules? In one of the earliest Stormcast episodes Jervis (I think it was him) said that doing so was one of the first things they did when writing 2nd edition, and now it seems like that idea has been thrown out the window for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

The new Tzaangor warscroll doesn’t allow mixing shields with paired weapons. Chaos Warriors are one of the few that still freely mix weapon profiles.