Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I mean Con Ed isn't exactly known for being a good company but you'd rather shut down a business over a suspect gas line than blow up the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

Hello USPOL, please spare a moment for this thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909991

Thank you.

Goes to: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908888 of course.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Arglebargle III posted:

I mean Con Ed isn't exactly known for being a good company but you'd rather shut down a business over a suspect gas line than blow up the building.

The problem is the landlord needs to get off their rear end and fix it

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Watch for the foreshadowing before predicting the resolution tax:
https://i.imgur.com/XIXMddE.mp4

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
On another topic, from my glancings at news and viewpoints over the last week or two, it seems like there's been a sudden narrative flip from "The Democrats are handling the impeachment as well as they could be." to "The Democrats have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and just handed Trump 2020." The heck happened or is this just the usual hot air hysteria made worse by the Iran incident?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

You just proved my point. The laissez faire response is that you can pressure test a gas line and make a determination on the seriousness of the problem based on engineering standards. Authorization is based on codes and can be defined by a lot of things like not applying for a permit, installation by a non union tradesman, using inadequate materials etc

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cornwind Evil posted:

On another topic, from my glancings at news and viewpoints over the last week or two, it seems like there's been a sudden narrative flip from "The Democrats are handling the impeachment as well as they could be." to "The Democrats have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and just handed Trump 2020." The heck happened or is this just the usual hot air hysteria made worse by the Iran incident?

The Dem response to Iran, in general, has been full of cowardice. It's some serious 2004 vibes

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Cornwind Evil posted:

The holidays happened and things slowed down, so naturally all is lost.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

The Dem response to Iran, in general, has been full of cowardice. It's some serious 2004 vibes

It's been disappointing but I don't think the American public needs to be dragged that direction this time around. War burnout seems to be a pretty non controversial viewpoint to take these days in most circles. It definitely wasn't that way in 04

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Madkal posted:

The president won't listen to his own generals but will to some shithead on the TV. I wonder if America thinks the rest of the world still respects it.
The shitheads that cheer this stuff on don't want your respect, they want your fear. As for the rest of us, yeah we know.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

oxsnard posted:

You just proved my point. The laissez faire response is that you can pressure test a gas line and make a determination on the seriousness of the problem based on engineering standards. Authorization is based on codes and can be defined by a lot of things like not applying for a permit, installation by a non union tradesman, using inadequate materials etc

Yeah, don't know why it would take more than a month to fix a gas line, unless the goal is to churn tenants.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

oxsnard posted:

Yeah this one isn't even hard. Even after administratively royally loving up a gas install you can have 1 Master Plumber and 1 Engineer sort out your problems with Dept. of Buildings and ConEd within 72 hours if you throw a few dollars at the problem. The landlord is loving garbage.

EDIT: ^^^^ The goal is to churn tenants. ^^^^

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1215028171835367424

Literally. Beyond. Parody.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

osker posted:

Yeah this one isn't even hard. Even after administratively royally loving up a gas install you can have 1 Master Plumber and 1 Engineer sort out your problems with Dept. of Buildings and ConEd within 72 hours if you throw a few dollars at the problem. The landlord is loving garbage.

EDIT: ^^^^ The goal is to churn tenants. ^^^^

You haven't tried to build anything in NYC have you? Tradesmen clauses make scheduling any electrical or plumbing work in multi tenant or industrial facilities a nightmare. This is one of the legitimate gripes people have with powerful unions

To be clear, the landlord is a fuckhead too

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

oxsnard posted:

You haven't tried to build anything in NYC have you? Tradesmen clauses make scheduling any electrical or plumbing work in multi tenant or industrial facilities a nightmare. This is one of the legitimate gripes people have with powerful unions

To be clear, the landlord is a fuckhead too

It is literally what I do and where I do it. Project Labor Agreements are not insurmountable. It is fiddly horseshit but for reals, this is 100% the landlord.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

mcmagic posted:

McConnell will kill this in the senate...

From last page, but he can't. If I understand it correctly, War Powers Act resolutions by their nature automatically go up for vote within a certain period of time after being introduced (A couple days to go to committee and two weeks(?) to hit the floor). There's a chance it could die in the Foreign Relations committee*, but there's no way for McConnell to simply refuse to allow it to come to a vote like he does for every other piece of legislation.

*The Foreign Relations Committee currently has 3 more Republicans than Democrats, so they could vote it down in committee and prevent it from reading the floor, if I read the WPA correctly. However, the FRC contains Rand Paul, Corey Gardner, and Mitt Romney, so there is a slim chance there might be enough GOP defections to allow it to pass.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

How are u posted:

Twitter offers nothing of value to the world, and indeed actively supports evil. We'd all be better off if it died a miserable death.

I do feel something better ought to be able to replace it. Of course if I could figure out what, I'd be swimming in VC money like Scrooge McDuck

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

osker posted:

It is literally what I do and where I do it. Project Labor Agreements are not insurmountable. It is fiddly horseshit but for reals, this is 100% the landlord.

lol I stand corrected then. I have a bad memory of a project I worked on in Staten island post Sandy

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Glumslinger posted:

I do feel something better ought to be able to replace it. Of course if I could figure out what, I'd be swimming in VC money like Scrooge McDuck

Something better did replace it. It was called Vine and we all mourn its loss.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

oxsnard posted:

lol I stand corrected then. I have a bad memory of a project I worked on in Staten island post Sandy

I looked up their building. They have an oil boiler which is why they have heat and hot water and why the landlord gives no fucks at all about getting this done quick. Looks like Ms. Peartree or a gyro place filed a project for new kitchen equipment with new loads back in November and that inspection probably surfaced the fuckery perpetrated by either her or the adjacent food joint's plumber.

Also, gang-gang post-Sandy bullshit work project buddy.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i am not surprised . some dumb rear end in a top hat behind a missile battery probably panicked.

so does that make up for the one we did orrrr....

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Petr posted:

no? i wasnt defending that US fuckup/ atrocity. i was just saying it wouldnt surprise me if it was accidentally shot down.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1215093738206310400

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Petr posted:

I'm going to be outrageously pedantic and note that the United States did in fact come to a legal settlement with the Islamic Republic of Iran to provide monetary compensation to the victims of Iran Air Flight 655, as well as directly to the Iranian government

the answer is still no but I'm making this post anyway

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

This article actually has to be a comedy piece right? This is hilarious.

"The rich have too much power and too many loopholes to control this country with money. I protest voted libertarian. We need real change, Clinton just offered more of the same. Please select Joe Biden."

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

HootTheOwl posted:

Define 'cowardice'. Because the world is VERY different from what it was like 16 years ago.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1214215367528189953

how do non-republicans justify spending so much money to entice the 'job creators' to come to their city/state/etc. when they wind up paying more to keep them there than they wound up benefiting from?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Dogma and idiocy.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

how do non-republicans justify spending so much money to entice the 'job creators' to come to their city/state/etc. when they wind up paying more to keep them there than they wound up benefiting from?

Because they are willing servants of the corporations, and they do it because they know the corporations will reward them when they rotate out of their Congressional jobs. This applies to Democrats too. Our political system is rotten to the loving core.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

Mike Lee and Rand Paul are going to vote for it, so that's at least 49 votes.
They won't vote for the bill if that means it passes. People like Lee and Paul are only in it for the optics.

Otteration posted:

Fix it then.
what

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

Well, he got to be the richest man on earth by being the single hardest-working person that's ever existed. What, do you think he got there by stealing everyone else's money by using the wealth he had to influence policy or something? Come on, grow up.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm not a new yorker and not fully informed on all their policy issues, but i have to wonder what the estimated cost of fixing the deficiencies in their aging subway system is, and how far $800 million goes towards meeting it

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Mr Interweb posted:

And apparently AOC was a monster for fighting against it.

Eat the Rich.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
The private sector is much more efficient than the public sector.

(at grifting public funds)

Kale
May 14, 2010

It's so weird seeing people like Rand Paul and Lindsey Graham going at it, though it kind of does illustrate yet again how Graham really is the fuckiest gently caress of the senior Republican senators in Congress.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Secret Service agents are like, sworn Federal law enforcement officers, aren't they

wouldn't they have a legal duty to act if someone is dealing drugs in the White House

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/juliaboccagno/status/1215036082229784576

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Lol

There are no serious people left in the WH and it's crazy that the Senate let it get this baf

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

And yet she voted to fund this madness.

e: I don't mean that as a cheap jab; it's a real loving problem. The Dems who voted to fund Trump's DOD are part of the problem, and they need to stop funding his poo poo.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mr Interweb posted:

Because it sounds good to non-informed voters. Joe Bob brought/created x amount of jobs. It doesn’t matter that those jobs are low paying and/or government subsidized. It isn’t something that can be solved by getting money out of politics because it is elected officials giving away your money to get re-elected. There needs to be strict laws created against it but since no one elected is going to vote against themselves it is never going to happen.

Really it is the same sort of grift that sports teams use to get new arenas and whatnot. No politician wants to be responsible for the local team leaving town since to the low information voter that may drive them to go out and vote. Granted that grift might be ending since we have seen several high profile politicians tell teams no in the last several years with little repercussions.