Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Uhhhhhhhhhh thoughts and prayers???
/
:negative:

E:God loving danmit why do I snype gbs every time I post in your dang mean grey forums?!

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Luneshot posted:

Seconded. I've definitely seen "business district" but I don't think I've seen it abbreviated as CBD- "downtown" is far more common.

Thanks for the answers on urban fires, too. Let's hope that stays in the realm of speculation.

It's super annoying that suddenly it's started meaning weed oil so Google results about searching for stuff in the CBD in Oz are all messed up.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Twiggy digging deep :eyepop:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Not as deep as his mines.

Remember, Twiggy is running/advocates for the indue card. gently caress him.

If he and his companies paid proper tax hed be 'donating a billion.'

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Horsebanger posted:

it boggles the loving mind that someone in this country thought this man was charismatic.

How does anyone resist the temptation to call him a oval office upon trying to interact with him in any fashion?

That's either amazing restraint or abject stupidity.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

American reporting in, I have never heard of a CBD in my life, so thanks for explaining that.

New Orleans calls its downtown the Central Business District :smugbert:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Gridlocked posted:

Twiggy digging deep :eyepop:

He likes to give and it's an impressive number but as others have said it isn't exactly breaking the bank for him. Either way that's $70m they didn't have before.

Gina apparently gave some money too but won't say how much.

Just think of how that money can help, not where it came from

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

luncheon meat posted:

He likes to give and it's an impressive number but as others have said it isn't exactly breaking the bank for him. Either way that's $70m they didn't have before.

Gina apparently gave some money too but won't say how much.

Yeah this. He is a multi billionaire, most of it from mining. However 70mill is 70mill right now.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Gift horse, mouth. Alberta burned this year I wish our monster capitalists helped.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i keep misreading your name as heather poops. i'm sorry :(

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

bell jar posted:

i keep misreading your name as heather poops. i'm sorry :(

MODS

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pap is a type of poo anyways. Koala babies eat it. They’re weird animals.

Sydney air is much clearer today. I’d forgotten how many buildings were in the skyline.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

holy poo poo that's insane

there's absolutely no way any wildlife near this would ever make it out except for a loving miracle

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

No mods, no masters in here. This is Australia.

All help is very welcome and it's amazing to see how much other countries are lending us a hand.

https://twitter.com/AusHCPNG/status/1215081335754084353

As well as the Americans, Canadians, New Zealanders and Singaporeans, Papua New Guinea are now sending us people to help fight the fires.
Fiji has also offered us monetary aid.

Thank you neighbours!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats pretty generous considering how Australia keeps dicking over PNG.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

luncheon meat posted:

...Gina apparently gave some money too but won't say how much.

She probably gave some recently homeless person on the street 20 cents in passing. Even that probably caused her considerable actual pain.

Rest of your quote still makes sense even without the first part of this quote.

Regarding ScoMo: sincerely hope one of his little PR exercises has a fire jump containment lines and the miserable c-word has to experience first hand some bloody suffering for once in his cushy, pampered existence. :(

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Edit: whoops!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Toxic Mental posted:

holy poo poo that's insane

there's absolutely no way any wildlife near this would ever make it out except for a loving miracle

Conservative estimates are currently over 1 Billion (yes with a B) animals have been killed.

https://youtu.be/LsiD5tB9yrc

:qq: :qq: :qq:

There's a near mythical element of the indigenous and even in some way pastoralist connection to land in Australia. It has always been a fragile, unforgiving place that demands respect, so to see the unique flora and fauna decimated this way is just heart rending.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-09/nsw-bushfires-kill-over-a-billion-animals-experts-say/11854836

quote:

Over a billion animals and "hundreds of billions" of insects have been killed in bushfires throughout New South Wales this season, according to leading wildlife experts.

The figure has more than doubled from an original estimate of 480 million animals lost, as the hectares razed by out-of-control fires increased from 3 million to now almost 5 million in NSW.

Ecologist Chris Dickman from the University of Sydney said: "for some species we're looking at imminent extinction".

"There will almost certainly be species of all geographical ranges and populations that are cooked before we've even had the chance to discover that they exist," Professor Dickman said.

So it's pretty grim.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

Suddenly worrying about bushfires + all the flammable cladding.

i work for the victorian state government in the building industry and i could list off the top of my head at least fifteen high rise buildings you could turn into grenfell just by sticking a lit cig between the cladding panels on the ground floor.

mind you there's very few buildngs in the bush tall enough for the cladding to be a problem so the bushfires wouldn't really affect that issue

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah that was more in relation to the 'what if fires get closer to the cbd' line of chatter from earlier. Not a great line of thought, no matter how unlikely it is so far.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Slugnoid posted:

i work for the victorian state government in the building industry and i could list off the top of my head at least fifteen high rise buildings you could turn into grenfell just by sticking a lit cig between the cladding panels on the ground floor.

Whoa, lucky the CBD hasn't been inundated with smoke haze which is full of burning embers!

/checks notes

UH OH

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Horsebanger posted:

it boggles the loving mind that someone in this country thought this man was charismatic.

People had already experienced Shorten and decided they didn't like him so ScoMo got the "at least he isn't that guy" pass. Turns out he's a wanker, oopsie!

Slugnoid posted:

mind you there's very few buildngs in the bush tall enough for the cladding to be a problem so the bushfires wouldn't really affect that issue

Please tell me someone got axed for that bullshit, or at least a strongly worded email

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao if you think anyone's going to suffer for covering buildings in flammable cladding.

(aside from the people inside :( )

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah as far as I can tell the builders - who were still using the cladding after the Grenfell fire and knew the risks - have just said "it was legal when we built it so too bad so sad" and saddled the owners (through the Owners Corporations) with the rectification bill.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

or they've just phoenixed themselves. (the practice of killing off their company but starting a totally new absolutely unrelated company, not the setting themselves on fire type phoenix)

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

loving assholes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nockturne posted:

She probably gave some recently homeless person on the street 20 cents in passing. Even that probably caused her considerable actual pain.

Rest of your quote still makes sense even without the first part of this quote.

Regarding ScoMo: sincerely hope one of his little PR exercises has a fire jump containment lines and the miserable c-word has to experience first hand some bloody suffering for once in his cushy, pampered existence. :(

How long do we reckon the PM's got before he gets the traditional Party Knife In the Back? It's practically Auspol tradition at this point, and nobody's happy with ScoMo now.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Whoa, lucky the CBD hasn't been inundated with smoke haze which is full of burning embers!

/checks notes

UH OH

We've gotten relatively drat lucky with the smoke this week in Victoria, because the original AQI forecast models were pretty loving dire for Tuesday onwards. Most of Victoria's actually gotten off relatively light, considering at one point Thursday was just predicted as "BLACK cloud over Vic*cough*toria" out of a known colour range of green/yellow/orange/red/magenta.

We're still get some of the nasty stuff tonight, so if you're in/around Melbourne, make drat sure you're sealed up indoors as much as possible.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I was just going to post "hey, the smoke hasn't been nearly as bad these past two days". Dang.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How long do we reckon the PM's got before he gets the traditional Party Knife In the Back? It's practically Auspol tradition at this point, and nobody's happy with ScoMo now.

The first thing he did when he claimed office was to get the party rules changed so that a spill motion required 2/3 of the partyroom to vote out the current leader. (Note that Labor already had a similar rule in place, and an even higher threshold of 3/4 to remove a standing Labor PM.)

I wouldn't be surprised if they ignored that and replaced him anyway because the LNP is hosed if they continue with him as their figurehead

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If they have half the party on board can't they just change the rule back?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Kangaroo Island got worse today :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hyperlynx posted:

I was just going to post "hey, the smoke hasn't been nearly as bad these past two days". Dang.

https://aqicn.org/forecast/melbourne/

This should be in your daily bookmark-checking right now if you're in Victoria. Keep in mind that it's been subject to change as they update the model (and has been repeatedly this past week, thankfully) and the map is in UTC time (ie; subtract 11 hours).

The first thing he did when he claimed office was to get the party rules changed so that a spill motion required 2/3 of the partyroom to vote out the current leader. (Note that Labor already had a similar rule in place, and an even higher threshold of 3/4 to remove a standing Labor PM.)

I wouldn't be surprised if they ignored that and replaced him anyway because the LNP is hosed if they continue with him as their figurehead

What particularly makes me think he might/hopefully be done for was trying to trot out the line of "This isn't the time for politics". If ScoMo was sure the Liberals weren't sharpening knives and had his back, he wouldn't be trying to play things off that way.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The rules can be changed with a standard 50% + 1 majority though.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

Yeah as far as I can tell the builders - who were still using the cladding after the Grenfell fire and knew the risks - have just said "it was legal when we built it so too bad so sad" and saddled the owners (through the Owners Corporations) with the rectification bill.

In Victoria we cracked down on the practice after the lacrosse fire in 2014 and the cladding audit was well underway before the first whiff of smoke at grenfell.

We were aware of the problem and that it was a ticking timebomb even back in the bailieu days when guy was the planning minister, but it took dan andrews to actually do something about it. Working for the government and actually seeing first hand the various ways the LNP bend over backwards for their big business mates is mind bending.

Synthbuttrange posted:

or they've just phoenixed themselves. (the practice of killing off their company but starting a totally new absolutely unrelated company, not the setting themselves on fire type phoenix)

the new 'corporate builder registration' scheme in victoria should fix that :allears:

Slugnoid fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 9, 2020

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

3 days to 1 month, tops.

quote:

We've gotten relatively drat lucky with the smoke this week in Victoria, because the original AQI forecast models were pretty loving dire for Tuesday onwards. Most of Victoria's actually gotten off relatively light, considering at one point Thursday was just predicted as "BLACK cloud over Vic*cough*toria" out of a known colour range of green/yellow/orange/red/magenta.

We're still get some of the nasty stuff tonight, so if you're in/around Melbourne, make drat sure you're sealed up indoors as much as possible.

Very good advice. Be safe East Coast buddies :(

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’m waiting to see what tomorrow brings but the authorities up here are rightly freaked out by the forecast and this week hasn’t been conducive to their containment plans. It’s likely the upper mountains will be fine but those who live further down will have issues if the fire decides to kick up a stink in the heat.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

PT6A posted:

How does anyone resist the temptation to call him a oval office upon trying to interact with him in any fashion?

That's either amazing restraint or abject stupidity.

Everyone I know who's shown support for the prime minister on facebook has been an evangelical Christian. That branch of Christianity is a fascist cult at this stage.

They're gonna love Dutton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
kangaroo island is breaking my heart. the top echidna researcher in the country lives there, wild among the echidnas that she loves :( (i'm not joking, she's an extraordinary person). i saw a devastating photo earlier of the owner of the wildlife park carrying a dead koala and kangaroo to a mass grave