Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We need another Al Davis to give minority coaches a chance :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

FizFashizzle posted:

Baker to Chicago makes so much sense

Well Chicago is where QB talent goes to die..

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Give teams extra salary cap space for having black coordinators / head coaches.

:v:

Belichick shows up in black face next season.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Are the dolphins the blackest staff in the nfl

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Probably the Bucs? All 3 coordinators and the assistant head coach are black.

Harold Goodwin
Todd Bowles
Byron Leftwich
Keith Armstrong

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Belichick shows up in black face next season.

Please.

He would provide a faked Ancestry DNA test.

"Do you see the hoodie I wear every day...
homie?"

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Harold Goodwin
Todd Bowles
Byron Leftwich
Keith Armstrong

And two full time female assistant coaches, S&C and defensive line.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Miami has...

Chris Grier at GM
Brian Flores at HC
Patrick Graham at DC
Jim Caldwell at Asst HC
Karl Dorell at WR
Marion Hobby at DL
Eric Studesville at RB

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Benne posted:

It's safe to say that this is one of the strangest coaching carousels in recent memory. Only five jobs opened up this year, and four of them got filled in less than two weeks, all but shutting out top candidates whose teams are still in the playoffs (Robert Saleh, Eric Bieniemy, and Kevin Stefanski, among others). The playoff-window restriction is a big enough problem on its own -- we're essentially punishing successful qualified assistants by making them wait until their team is eliminated before they can move up the career ladder. But we can't ignore the real elephant in the room, which is the near-complete lack of minority coaching hires. Credit to Rivera for quickly getting back on his feet, but unless the Browns make a sudden about-face (Josh McDaniels remains the presumed frontrunner), there won't be a single black head coach hired this year.

It's very obvious that the Rooney Rule hasn't worked, either getting flagrantly ignored or treated as a chore, an item to check off your list. Gotta interview this random position coach before hiring the guy we really want. Marvin Lewis isn't busy at the moment, let's bring him for a day so we can say we "followed the rule" while preparing a press conference for Fat Mike (this is 100% what the Cowboys did, unless we're supposed to believe Jerry interviewed a POC in the less-than-24 hours between dismissing Garrett and hiring McCarthy).

Bieniemy did interview with the Panthers.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
What about Samoan coaches? Samoans make up a huge part of the NFL considering how very few of them even exist, but I don't think I've ever heard of one ever coaching.

I think a 500 pound HC would be p rocking

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Dre2Dee2 posted:

we already have Matt Patricia :confused:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I have always had a theory that the lap band surgery ruined Rex Ryan. It sapped him of his life essence. He would have won a super bowl if he gained 150 pounds instead of losing it

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 9, 2020

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

we already have Matt Patricia :confused:

Andy Reid before he lost weight.

I think that's the most stunning thing about Andy Reid's move to K.C. he's actually thinner than he was in Philly.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish Andy coached my team :smith:

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Ehud posted:

Miami has...

Chris Grier at GM
Brian Flores at HC
Patrick Graham at DC
Jim Caldwell at Asst HC
Karl Dorell at WR
Marion Hobby at DL
Eric Studesville at RB

I think the wild thing is that the Dolphins have essentially become a lifeboat for minority NFL coaches and executives who would otherwise maybe be out of the league despite their merits.

Jim Caldwell should probably be a head coach somewhere, Marvin Allen should be getting some GM interviews, and while he isn't a slam dunk to get another GM job they've got Reggie McKenzie as like the #4 or #5 guy in their front office.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Jim Caldwell should probably be a head coach somewhere

Yeah he should definitely be the head coach of $YOUR_TEAM'S_RIVAL

Marvin Lewis will probably never win a playoff game but there are like 12 teams he could immediately improve, like the Giants for instance

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I think the wild thing is that the Dolphins have essentially become a lifeboat for minority NFL coaches and executives who would otherwise maybe be out of the league despite their merits.

Jim Caldwell should probably be a head coach somewhere, Marvin Allen should be getting some GM interviews, and while he isn't a slam dunk to get another GM job they've got Reggie McKenzie as like the #4 or #5 guy in their front office.

Jim Caldwell was a really unimpressive HC for 2 teams.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'd say the Bucs probably have the most diverse staff in the league (https://www.buccaneers.com/team/coaches-roster/) and that's pretty much because Arians insists on it. He's constantly saying minorities don't get enough opportunities. I also didn't realize Antwaan Randle El was on the Bucs staff but that makes sense with his ties to Arians in Pittsburgh.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

mcmagic posted:

Uncharismatic, but his records were good. .554 winning percentage and in four years had 11, 7, 9, and 9 wins in Detroit. Detroit!

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Athanatos posted:

That one game where Kyle Orton beat the Patriots.

Emptyquote for nefarious reasons :bigwhat:

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

mcmagic posted:

You can write off the Colts as being Peyton Manning's team or what have you but he was a pretty good coach with the Lions.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah definitely the best Lions coach of my lifetime, at least the best I can remember. Can't believe I ever listened to the arguments for why he should have been let go.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The Browns trading Baker to the Bears straight-up for Trubisky because McDaniels loves the smell of his own farts would be a very Brownsy move

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

kiimo posted:

I would be delighted if the browns didn't hire him and he has to go back to the Pats.

I would think coaching the browns is the perfect place for that a-hole. Aren't they the only team left anyways?

mcmagic posted:

Josh McDaniels is literally 2015 Adam Gase.

I could see that, for sure. Both benefited heavily from their relationships with more talented people, picking up a reputation for schematic genius, then didn't really come through when it came time to prove their abilities.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Harold Goodwin
Todd Bowles
Byron Leftwich
Keith Armstrong

Andy Reid and Bruce Arians seem to be the only (white) head coaches in the NFL that are actually concerned about making sure POC receive opportunities in their coaching staffs, and also doing what they can to find those same people opportunities elsewhere in the NFL. I respect both of them very much for that

Play fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 9, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good ol' Byron :unsmith:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Byron was a badass. I remember when he played on a broken leg and his linemen carried him down the field.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan/status/1215309696921370624

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

cavallingus posted:

Byron was a badass. I remember when he played on a broken leg and his linemen carried him down the field.

if anyone there hasn’t seen this clip you should watch it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jzYMSiNHQ&feature=emb_title&time_continue=12

he broke his tibia in the first quarter and drove back from the hospital in time for the third and fourth quarter and still threw for 208 yards; it is both very cool and incredibly stupid

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

question 1 better be making Freddie build a swingset

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Leftwich would have been a Hall of Famer if he didn't have the mobility and windup speed of a trebuchet

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Eagles fired OC Mike Groh

He will not be missed

edit: WR coach Carson Walsh is also out

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 9, 2020

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I think it's kinda funny that Jerry Jones thinks it's 2007

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Play posted:

Andy Reid and Bruce Arians seem to be the only (white) head coaches in the NFL that are actually concerned about making sure POC receive opportunities in their coaching staffs, and also doing what they can to find those same people opportunities elsewhere in the NFL. I respect both of them very much for that

Rex was pushing hard for Anthony Lynn to get a job when he was HC of the Bills

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

shyduck posted:

Eagles fired OC Mike Groh

He will not be missed

edit: WR coach Carson Walsh is also out

First reaction from outside the fanbase (meaning me who knows very little) I feel like that's kind of a raw deal for the OC and WR coach considering the injuries this season

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
In case you didn't find baseball mans influence hilarious enough and/or believe that Jimmy Haslam is the worst owner

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1215294059599798272

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

kiimo posted:

First reaction from outside the fanbase (meaning me who knows very little) I feel like that's kind of a raw deal for the OC and WR coach considering the injuries this season
Even before all the injuries the WR corps was playing terrible football (not knowing routes, drops, etc). The offense in general has been bland and predictable and this goes back to 2018 when Groh took over. They had to go. I think Groh was in over his head and Walsh lost the WRs.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1215332739295186944?s=21

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd forgotten that Dan Quinn survived somehow. Good luck Falcons.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
God drat Haslam sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Ches Neckbeard posted:

In case you didn't find baseball mans influence hilarious enough and/or believe that Jimmy Haslam is the worst owner

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1215294059599798272

I honestly don't see any reason not to trust DePodesta. Everyone shits on him for being a baseball guy but it's not like he's in charge of scouting or anything. I trust him more than Jimmy. He's essentially a consultant whose advice was ignored for the past few years. They're finally listening to him (hopefully).