Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It's definitely unintentional comedy. Sometimes things are played straight, sometimes they're unintentionally hilarious like this, other times it's just nonsense. AI Dungeon is clearly "smarter" than a markov chain bot, but it still has a loose-at-best grasp of what the gently caress is going on in the story.

Edit: also these are highly upvoted posts from the AI Dungeon subreddit, this isn't the average case for a story at all

Cicero fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I love this one

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

freebooter posted:

I read the first one yesterday and it was fine but forgettable. Not sure what the fuss is.

The first one is a bit forgettable. The author really didn't have a direction and just published a very basic scenario short. The second book and beyond you really get more in-depth writing about murderbot and the world-building is quite excellent. I personally don't think it's A++++++ territory, but its definitely a fun pulpy read, and I'm looking forward to more books having finished them all. They sort of remind me of the very early Conan books in a way.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 6, 2020

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

FuturePastNow posted:

AIs are getting better at comedy and it's making me nervous
https://twitter.com/dril_gpt2 is terrifyingly good

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

It's still human curated. If they could teach an AI to curate them, then I would be impressed.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I finally got around to reading Gold Fame Citrus and half-way through am not very fond of it. The characters are incredibly boring. The protagonist doesn't do anything, stuff just happens to her to which she reacts with barely any emotion. The vision of Southern California ruined by climate change is pretty cool but the way it's communicated in the text - several pages of Solaris-style infodumping about the ~dune sea~ - is just awkward. Much of the characterization is conveyed the same way, with pages and pages of backstory disconnected from the actual narrative. There's this annoying writing thing the author uses where she sets up something open-ended and then immediately resolves it in the next sentence. Like "He said he would be back. But he wouldn't." in more flowery language. Removes any sense of suspense for moments that should carry a lot of emotional weight.

I dunno, recommend me good climate change fiction please? I'll probably finish this but I had hoped to like it a lot more :(

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

my bony fealty posted:

I dunno, recommend me good climate change fiction please? I'll probably finish this but I had hoped to like it a lot more :(

New York 2140 was decent, but then a lot of KSR's book revolve around the climate somehow, so you can dig through his catalogue. Oryx and Crake is really good.

Outside of the Sci-Fi realm, The Water Knife is also really good.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1250260256/

Sisters of the Vast Black paperback edition on sale for 7.59$ instead of like 12-13$

Never heard of it and seem to be hardly any reviews. Goon opinions?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XD75HGV

The Complete Fiction of HP Lovecraft - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UZ2G8PY/

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

pradmer posted:

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XD75HGV

The Complete Fiction of HP Lovecraft - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UZ2G8PY/

That Complete Lovecraft isn't really a deal, and is actually kind of a ripoff. Lovecraft is entirely in public domain, so if you absolutely must have his work in a Kindle ebook, you can almost always find one for a buck, or if you look at the right time, free. If an ebook isn't necessary you can find all of his work here: http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/sources/hplcf.aspx

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1250260256/

Sisters of the Vast Black paperback edition on sale for 7.59$ instead of like 12-13$

it's pretty fun, as i posted last week, but it is still a short novella FWIW

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It's here!

God it's so tiny, it's not even a full 160 pages and they're tiny pages... using my mass market paperback edition of Cloud Roads as comparison. I'm not gonna lie: the price tag of 17 USD on the back is insulting as hell. Especially when Cloud Roads is 8$ for roughly the same size pages and way more content and an actual cover illustration.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's here!

God it's so tiny, it's not even a full 160 pages and they're tiny pages... using my mass market paperback edition of Cloud Roads as comparison. I'm not gonna lie: the price tag of 17 USD on the back is insulting as hell. Especially when Cloud Roads is 8$ for roughly the same size pages and way more content and an actual cover illustration.

Well if people are going this hard in on an overpriced novella, I guess I'll give it a try (for Ł2.44 from the UK kindle store)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

team overhead smash posted:

Well if people are going this hard in on an overpriced novella, I guess I'll give it a try (for Ł2.44 from the UK kindle store)

Overpriced novellas are tor's thing and I'm frustrated because I love novellas with nice packaging (reminds me of older sci-fi books) but I hate the price gouging. Usually I'll get new books via indiebound or my local bookstore to properly pay the author but zero regrets with using amazon on these things.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Philthy posted:

The first one is a bit forgettable. The author really didn't have a direction and just published a very basic scenario short. The second book and beyond you really get more in-depth writing about murderbot and the world-building is quite excellent. I personally don't think it's A++++++ territory, but its definitely a fun pulpy read, and I'm looking forward to more books having finished them all. They sort of remind me of the very early Conan books in a way.

Hmmm OK maybe I'll stick with it. I've resolved to read 60 books this year and those ones are conveniently short.

my bony fealty posted:

I quite liked Clade by James Bradley.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

freebooter posted:

Hmmm OK maybe I'll stick with it. I've resolved to read 60 books this year and those ones are conveniently short.

It's basically more of the same. If the character doesn't click for you and give you any warm and fuzzy feelings, the other books aren't massively different.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, neat. New Gene Doucette book came out today! It's #6 in the Immortal series.

You can find it at the standard "where you want to buy books" locations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/nevalalee/status/1214581593618161665?s=19

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Man. Gideon the Ninth was pretty loving cool.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mike Resnick passed away.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It seems Brian McLellan's new epic fantasy series will be with Tor rather than Orbit (who published all his powder mage books)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ornamented Death posted:

I just heard from Janis Ian and came here to post. Sad news.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Judith Tarr is in a bit of a financial bind: https://twitter.com/dancinghorse/status/1214985798421889024

(Only book of hers I've read is "Ars Magica", but I remember it as being good).

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

fritz posted:

(Only book of hers I've read is "Ars Magica", but I remember it as being good).

One of the few books that does a scholarly monk type character well. I've read the Hound & Falcon books before but I don't remember much about them except I wasn't all that impressed. However that was before I had a stronger lean towards historical fiction so I might have a better opinion of it if I re-read it these days.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Are there any good scifi or fantasy books that prominently feature a hivemind entity/race? For those of you who have played System Shock 2, I am new to it and realized that The Many greatly interest me and I'd like to see more of the same or similar. I am no good at FPSes so Halo and the Flood are out. Besides, as much as love me some video games, nothing beats a good book with regards to bizarre alien lifeforms.

I've gotten some great recs in the past in here and was hoping for more of the same. Thanks in advance.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 9, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Ornamented Death posted:

Never read anything of his except Santiago and a short story collection, but they were solid works. A real loss.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Are there any good scifi or fantasy books that prominently feature a hivemind entity/race? For those of you who have played System Shock 2, I am new to it and realized that The Many greatly interest me and I'd like to see more of the same or similar. I am no good at FPSes so Halo and the Flood are out. Besides, as much as love me some video games, nothing beats a good book with regards to bizarre alien lifeforms.

I've gotten some great recs in the past in here and was hoping for more of the same. Thanks in advance.

Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Ancillary Justice, maybe?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

f-fuckin

those are good names

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

NikkolasKing posted:

Peter Watts has written a lot of this:

The Things (John Carpenter's The Thing, but from the Thing's perspective: http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/ )

Blindsight (one of my picks for 'best First Contact novel': https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003K15EKM/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 )

Echopraxia (a tragically inferior sidequel to Blindsight: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IHCBDJ0/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 )

The ants in Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Time might count, sorta? Not really.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Peter Watts has written a lot of this:

The Things (John Carpenter's The Thing, but from the Thing's perspective: http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/ )

Blindsight (one of my picks for 'best First Contact novel': https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003K15EKM/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 )

Echopraxia (a tragically inferior sidequel to Blindsight: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IHCBDJ0/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 )

The ants in Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Time might count, sorta? Not really.

The sequel to children of time would definitely count though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

NikkolasKing posted:

'Pandora's Star' by Peter F. Hamilton has one of the creepiest and most, uh, aggressive hiveminds I've encountered in fiction.

Blindsight is a really good book.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Hive Minds:

Ender's Game series, after the first one.

Later books for Roman Legion meets Pokemon-based series Codex Alera from Jim Butcher of Dresden Files fame.

The Antinium and arguably Goblins in the popular web serial The Wandering Inn (warning: comically long).

Cicero fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 10, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ianmacdo posted:

The sequel to children of time would definitely count though.

the octopods in children of ruin are kind of the opposite of a hivemind though?

children of time itself has this, but in the very literal sense of how an ant hive is a "hive mind," rather than the standard scifi/fantasy Borg-style giant collective consciousness

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 10, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I would consider an aggregate or group intelligence to be a distinct concept from a hive mind. “Hive” implies stratification and order that wouldn’t be present in a loose mass of spores.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 10, 2020

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

How about the Conjoiners in Reynolds's Revelation Space series?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

General Battuta posted:

'Pandora's Star' by Peter F. Hamilton has one of the creepiest and most, uh, aggressive hiveminds I've encountered in fiction.

That series is a fun read. He's airport fiction in space, but at the highest tier of that kind of book. And the hivemind is a good antagonist, I was going to suggest it myself.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

fritz posted:

How about the Conjoiners in Reynolds's Revelation Space series?
Not really a hivemind, more of an information network you can tap into freely. They're still individuals.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Vernor Vinge's "A Fire Upon the Deep" has pack minds that act on similar lines.
Peter Watts "Blindsight" have a great twist on hive minds and what sentience means in general.
Two short stories from the scifi anthology "The Final Frontier" have unique takes on Hive minds. "A Jar of Goodwill" by Tobias S. Buckell, and "Rescue Mission" by Jack Skillington.
If you can get past the purestream tankie POV narration, Ken MacLeod's "The Cassini Division" features post-human hive minds living in the upper atmosphere of gas planets.
If you go way back in time, AE Van Vogt's "Voyage of the Space Beagle" has two separate encounters/short stories with hive-mind entities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Affi posted:

Man. Gideon the Ninth was pretty loving cool.

Yeah, I was a little on the fence in the beginning due to the YA nature, transparency of the twists and the feeling that the author probably needs to unplug for a little while, but in the end the world and the story were interesting enough that eventually all that seemed to not matter anymore.