Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did we ever figure out what "constant HAMPRINCE" was about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

oooooh did they have that dip that turns into a hard candy shell over in the UK? that was always my favorite as a kid when we went to the soft serve place after baseball practice.

You betcha! I will make sure you have extra :D

Weedle posted:

"more horniness" narrowly pulls ahead of "video games" in the video games forum video games chat topic poll

I am really going to have to up my campaign now!

And also about the PPJ stuff everyone here is doing a far better job of explaining that I ever could. Just baffling all round and not something I expected to wake up to yesterday. These forums are often the most amazing and most ridiculous at simultaneous times.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

I said come in! posted:

I saw this for the first time yesterday and was not at all surprised to see that it was something Radium implemented.

it made me go find the radium.txt thread

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

I still have a 980 lol, good enough still

i'm sure you get a few more years out of anything ending in 80, typically i've stuck to 60's and 70's because with the way technology progresses i think you get a better price out of getting a $300 card every 5 years instead of getting a $600 card and expecting it to still be competitive in 10

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Cowcaster posted:

i'm sure you get a few more years out of anything ending in 80, typically i've stuck to 60's and 70's because with the way technology progresses i think you get a better price out of getting a $300 card every 5 years instead of getting a $600 card and expecting it to still be competitive in 10

if you know what case you have, PCPartPicker is pretty good about telling you if a graphics card is too big for it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

i have a 1060 in my computer and i don't want to upgrade it not so much because of the expense but because it was so huge it barely fit in the length of my computer case and since i doubt card sizes have gotten any smaller i'd have to transfer the entirety of my computer's guts to a new case when i do

theyve gotten way smaller unless you want something top end

i have one of the 1660tis i keep mentioning, again its basically a 1070, this is the one i have (not my pic):

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

i will not believe you unless it is your own pic stux

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

if you know what case you have, PCPartPicker is pretty good about telling you if a graphics card is too big for it.

yeah i use pcpartpicker and very, very technically the card does fit the case, it's just when you add in all the wiring and other poo poo it's practically untenable

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't trust single fan graphics cards

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have an RTX 2070 because I really liked my GTX970 and because I thought, heck, the middle RTX is probably great like the 970 was.

Turns out it is even better than the 970!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

speaking of SA being made of glue and twigs: I forgot the smilies page just entirely crashes my work laptop for some reason thanks lowtax

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I had to buy a graphics card recently (old one got damaged in an accident) and it didn't need plugged into the power supply. Freaked me right out.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Weedle posted:

"more horniness" narrowly pulls ahead of "video games" in the video games forum video games chat topic poll
Despite what you'd think the people voting for this mean they want to see more characters with horns.

Like Bowsette.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm horny for Anjanaths, but ironically not for Behemoths

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

i have a 1060 in my computer and i don't want to upgrade it not so much because of the expense but because it was so huge it barely fit in the length of my computer case and since i doubt card sizes have gotten any smaller i'd have to transfer the entirety of my computer's guts to a new case when i do

Feel like you wouldn't gain a lot by upgrading that w the current crop of stuff unless you dropped like +500 bucks or something

As always really depends what you're playing on it whether or not it would be worth it for you

On the size front (average horniness levels rising) you could probably find a smaller one if it only has one or two fans and a not-enormous heatsink- manufacturers are pretty good about releasing smaller cards for micro case builds. Smaller the heatsink is the faster the fans are gonna have to run in general though

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I have an RTX 2070 because I really liked my GTX970 and because I thought, heck, the middle RTX is probably great like the 970 was.

I can't justify upgrading 1070, even 4 years after it came out (for all intents and purposes). It was the first time I ever bought a modern, newly released graphics card and I couldn't be happier with it. Anyone that has the means to go with the XX70 series absolutely should.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VideoGames posted:

RTX 2070 crew represent. Able to play most games at 4K and 60fps.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nazi mods and nazi mod collaborators

Shameful start to 2020

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I can't justify upgrading 1070, even 4 years after it came out (for all intents and purposes). It was the first time I ever bought a modern, newly released graphics card and I couldn't be happier with it. Anyone that has the means to go with the XX70 series absolutely should.

I got my RTX2070 as part of a bundle with a brand new PC and everything that comes with it. I went from i5-2500k, 1TB platter, 8gb ram, gtx970, 22inch monitor to an i5-9600k, 500gb SSD and 2x3TB platters, 16gb ram, RTX2070 and a 27inch gsync monitor. I buy a new pc every ten or so years so the upgrades I have performed over that time I can then put to rest. :)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
For people who like vehicle construction games I can't rate Trailmakers highly enough. It's like Lego Racers with the gloves entirely off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2rMUeQxKME

I mean it has an actual race mode too but there's all types of gameplay modes and this is the end result of me trying to make a lowrider

I got a little carried away but at least the front is sort of there!!!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Cowcaster posted:

yeah i use pcpartpicker and very, very technically the card does fit the case, it's just when you add in all the wiring and other poo poo it's practically untenable

In my experience, GPUs always seem smashed into a case and the power cables barely fit around them without smashing into the fans.

I don't think they've really gotten any *longer* though (some might be slightly wider) so if you have a dual-fan card that fits now you should be able to upgrade.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Shameful start to 2020

It's a hilarious start to 2020

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Are there any rumblings about the 30xx series this year? Nvidia has been pretty spot on with releases every 2 years. Might be wise to wait a few months.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RBA Starblade posted:

Shameful start to 2020

At least the only way from here is up, right?

Right?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there was a while there (maybe even still now) where for the first time in history it was cheaper to buy prebuilt pcs instead of doing it yourself because the manufacturers had set prices for the cards going into prebuilt systems. if that's still the case i'd be tempted to do it except for the fact i have no reason to upgrade anything in my current box except for the graphics card anyway

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RBA Starblade posted:

Shameful start to 2020

Between this and people I thought were cool becoming bloodthirsty at the thought of war, it's been a depressing week...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

i don't trust single fan graphics cards

the only benefit you get from larger ones with more fans is its quieter, the single fan ones are just as good at actually cooling the thing, its not a 2080ti or anything. the only one i know off hand to avoid is the asus phoenix models which have a bad design. the EVGA 3 slot single fan heatsink they use on a bunch of different models is way cooler than reference designs and usually beats out a lot of 2 or 3 fan designs

the pny i have performs about the same, its never anywhere near hot enough to be a worry, i dont think ive seen it ever break 70c even at 100% load.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

thinking back i could probably have cooked an egg on my gtx460

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Are there any rumblings about the 30xx series this year? Nvidia has been pretty spot on with releases every 2 years. Might be wise to wait a few months.

I was wondering about this myself. This would be a good year to release new graphic cards now that we are also getting a new console generation in the fall.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What would even be the purpose of a 30 line when games don't take advantage of the current top-end technology?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

What would even be the purpose of a 30 line when games don't take advantage of the current top-end technology?

:capitalism:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I would go as big as you can fit in the case personally; the heatsink on my old 970 was so big it didn't even run the 3 fans unless the card was really doing something

but I did have to kinda bend the HDD cages in the front of the case to get it in there

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

seriously big idiot cooler designs on anything outside of the ridiculous top end cards is just marketing to make you pay more dont fall for it. everything up to and including the 2070 can be bought with a single fan cooler and its literally never an issue other than specifically asus pheonix cards which have a bad design.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

seriously big idiot cooler designs on anything outside of the ridiculous top end cards is just marketing to make you pay more dont fall for it. everything up to and including the 2070 can be bought with a single fan cooler and its literally never an issue other than specifically asus pheonix cards which have a bad design.

Less noise is good

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I feel like you've all started speaking another language

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rarity posted:

I feel like you've all started speaking another language

Here, have a vegemite sandwich

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

I would go as big as you can fit in the case personally; the heatsink on my old 970 was so big it didn't even run the 3 fans unless the card was really doing something

but I did have to kinda bend the HDD cages in the front of the case to get it in there

well that makes me feel a bit better because the big issue was i also had to bend the HDD bays to get my 1060 to fit (fortunately they were cheap lovely thin metal and i use SSD's anyway)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Less noise is good

yep

but if you don't really care about noise it doesn't matter that much I guess- or if you have a "quiet" focused case you might not hear it as much either

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Your average PC gamer just plays League of Legends, and Minecraft, but there's enough of an audience that wants top tier hardware to take full advantage of AAA games. Nvidia does a lot of work on the software and hardware side to improve graphic fidelity. A lot of what we've seen over the last two decades has been because of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
You must gather your party before venturing forth