Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Agent355 posted:

If I'm using an aquatuner to cool water for a farm then I can't use an aquatuner to cool the steam turbine, but maybe it just won't generate enough heat for me to care.

You can absolutely do both. If you run water or pee water and through the tuner, it will produce a tremendous amount of chill. Cooling a steam turbine is nothing. Until you start building tons of industry or generators, one tuner can handle cooling everything that needs it. Typically in mid game I build one tuner and just loop the coolant everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
who is a good youtuber who makes early-mid game tutorials without a lot of unedited fumbling around or "gamer humor"

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I built my first aquatuner set up to cool a cool steam vent to force it to condense instantly and pipe the water out to my SPOM farm. I had to deconstruct and rebuild poo poo like 20 times because I kept putting in the wrong parts or misplacing pipes or whatever as i was sealing it up.

Took alot of retooling but I think I got it now.

Han Nehi posted:

You can absolutely do both. If you run water or pee water and through the tuner, it will produce a tremendous amount of chill. Cooling a steam turbine is nothing. Until you start building tons of industry or generators, one tuner can handle cooling everything that needs it. Typically in mid game I build one tuner and just loop the coolant everywhere.

Yeah for some reason I was thinking about using the aquatuner to directly cool the water but now I realize thats silly and I should just cool a loop of coolant and run that through a puddle of water to cool it like that.

Next step is setting up an aquatuner (on the other side of the base from the first one and I don't want to pipe the stuff around) to cool a small industrial block and also cool some water for a sleet wheat farm.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 9, 2020

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Mine keep dying. What kills them?

Critters die for several reasons:

1)They reach the end of their natural lifespan.
2)Their hp drops to 0
3)Their temperature leaves their livable range
4)They drown (obviously this doesn't apply to pacu)
5)They starve (does not apply to wild critters)

Your problem more likely is they are not reproducing, thus not replacing themselves. They must have at last half a tile of a liquid to reproduce, they can live their full lives flopping around on land but need liquid to lay an egg. They can not be confined, that is kept in a room of less that 8 tiles or inside a solid tile. They can be overcrowded but not cramped - that is the critters + eggs must each have ~8 tiles of space each, but the check for cramped is not performed if there are 0 eggs.

Gulp fish morphs are likely to die for temperature reasons. There is always a small chance that the egg pacu lay can be a gulp fish egg, which is why you'll find pools with evidence pacu once lived there scattered about the map. They sadly slowly go extinct as they randomly lay gulp fish eggs and promptly die.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

luxury handset posted:

who is a good youtuber who makes early-mid game tutorials without a lot of unedited fumbling around or "gamer humor"

Francis John

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Hmm, I have a hot steam vent and a cool steam vent about 20 tiles apart and basically level with each other, I wonder if I can connect them somehow into a single bank of aquatuner/steam generators to collect lukewarm water from both of them.

The cool steam vent just requires a little ice box which can be built however but I think the part I'm not sure how to do is make it so that, if I'm producing a surplus of water, the steam vent is given priority over the cool steam vent, since that one gives more power.

I can't do math on exactly how much water I'd produce off each vent until I get my scienceboi over to analyze them so I'm not sure how the water production will compare to my consumption.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 10, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Agent355 posted:

I built my first aquatuner set up to cool a cool steam vent to force it to condense instantly and pipe the water out to my SPOM farm. I had to deconstruct and rebuild poo poo like 20 times because I kept putting in the wrong parts or misplacing pipes or whatever as i was sealing it up.

Took alot of retooling but I think I got it now.
Doesn't the electrolyzer output gas at 70C? Why not just pipe the hot water straight in?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Any lower temp gets shunted up to 70C and anything higher is scaled appropriately. Gold Amalgam Electrolyzer is 125C until overheat so piping the hot water direct is possible.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Doesn't the electrolyzer output gas at 70C? Why not just pipe the hot water straight in?

Because I'm outputting to a sleet farm first and foremost, the electrolyzers already have a cool steam vent they're drawing from that already has it's own aquatuner set up.

I can probably run the electrolyzers AND the sleet farm off this one pair of geysers but if I wanted to cool one and not the other I'd need to use a somewhat different piping set up and I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

If I have one large reservoir that both steam vents pool into I can then pump into a smaller cooling reservoir to run to the sleet farm with a different direct line to the SPOM farm. Then I could turn off the aquatuner at the other cool steam vent and save some electricity.

Can I run more than one steam engine off a vent or am I best served just dunking a single turbine on top and having it output water into the pool. It'll drop it all the way to 90 right?

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 10, 2020

Griz
May 21, 2001

put some turbines on the hot steam vent, and dump the output water into the cool steam room?

trying to have them both in one big room would be a mess.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thats pretty much what I'm doing so far. WIP picture.

The aquatuner loop that cools the cool steam vent to usable levels is also going to cool a smaller pool to almost freezing, that I can then use in a sleet farm.

However because these two vents are so close to each other I'm wondering if I can get away with 2 steam engines over the steam vent and throw the aquatuner in that same room to sieve off the energy it takes to cool the water, or if I should put 2 steam engines on the vent and then dedicate a third to just the aquatuner.

I could have the steam engines dump the outflow directly into the cool steam vent room but I'm not sure that's advantageous at all.

Current plan is to just use the sensor in the bottom reservoir and an AND gate to turn the cool steam vent on and off based on how much water I have left in reserve.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 10, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does every kind of sustainable thermal / gas management involve liquid pocket cheese? I sort of want that to get patched out and everyone's bases to explode.

Edit: vvv yeah there's some guy who has duplicants dying all over the place in his geyser video and I'm like dude you're in debug mode, drop them some omelettes and a bathroom!

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 10, 2020

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

luxury handset posted:

Francis John, GrindThisGame and Brothgar are all good.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Does every kind of sustainable thermal / gas management involve liquid pocket cheese? I sort of want that to get patched out and everyone's bases to explode.

That or the mod that turns doors into airlocks. I just use the mod instead of making dumb liquid pocket cheese.

In fact, there's about 9 different ways to make air locks, some involving pretty ridiculous contrivances. Liquid locks are just the most common.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

User0015 posted:

That or the mod that turns doors into airlocks. I just use the mod instead of making dumb liquid pocket cheese.

In fact, there's about 9 different ways to make air locks, some involving pretty ridiculous contrivances. Liquid locks are just the most common.
Is this the one?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1735550356

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
You can definitely perform all the challenges the game asks of you without using infinite storage tricks; it's just more convenient. I find them aesthetically unpleasing so I never use them, and most of what I lose is just dupe time mining out big rooms for things.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Well, this one single natural gas geyser in my base as an example produces 116 g/s natural gas including all idle/dormant times.

A single generator consumes 90 g/s so the geyser, on average, produces a bit more than a single generator can consume if running full tilt.

Let's use 2 estimates for the amount of storage you're going to need to actually use the total gas. Afterall, if the geyser is dormant or idle you're going to be running off of stored gas.

The first estimate will be if you want to run just a single generator and accept that you're going to be losing some natural gas. You decide that running a second generator with 20% uptime isn't worth the hassle.

The geyser I'm looking at has a 65.7 day total cycle, 17.6 of that it's totally dormant. When it's active you're going to produce a surplus slowly building up your reserve but when it becomes idle you need to have enough gas to last 17.6 cycles.

A cycle contains 600 seconds, the generator needs 90g/s or 54kg/cycle times 17.6 cycles or 950kg of gas.

A reservoir holds 150kg so for this one single geyser, if you're only trying to run a single generator full time, you'd need 7 tanks worth of storage.

If you wanted to harvest all 116 g/s because you might run 2 generators at least some of the time thats 1182 kg of storage which would be 8 tanks thanks to rounding.

If you have plastic and want to use high pressure vents you can store 20kg of gas per square, so that's still 24 squares of storage for a single geyser.

Not to mention that if you don't run your generator 100% of the time you either need more storage or accept a loss of yield.

I have 3 NG geysers and 3 hydrogen geysers on my map. If we assume the geyser I'm using as an example is about average (I believe it is) I'd need 54 tanks to store all that gas just to last the idle periods!

I'll take liquid locks, thanks.

E: to be clear I'm assuming the problem here is storing an infinite amount of gas in a space and not the fact that water is a perfect airlock, as pointed out above you can make some cool mechanical airlocks that function perfectly as long as you have the materials/space/power to spare. but then I'd still need 170 squares of gas storage @ 20kg/square on this map.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 10, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
You don't really need your gas generator to be able to run all the time, though. It's really easy to store coal and burn more of it when the generators are idle. It's certainly convenient to be able to store infinite natural gas, but it's by no means necessary, and it's not really that big of a difference.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

In a game like this my goal is that if I automate and design every system very well that I could leave it unpaused and it would run literally forever. Using coal as a back up is messy compared to balancing out storage/consumption rates to a perfect balance.

I don't think you HAVE to play that way, so if you think infinite gas storage and water locks is cheese, that you just shouldn't use, there are definitely options. They're just options I don't like.

That said in the extreme late game they'd be fine, it's not like I couldn't spare 170 squares of space, but I don't really like the look of a completely blank mined out map, so I'd rather have a more organic looking space and a small pocket of gas storage.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 10, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

insta posted:

Francis John

User0015 posted:

Francis John, GrindThisGame and Brothgar are all good.

Francis John is exactly what i was looking for, and i'll check out the others too! thanks!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Okay I have to transport 5 degree celsius water about 200 tiles. The way I see it I have three options.

1. Use the best insulated pipe I have, hope for the best, maybe start with 3 degree water.

2. Through either ventilation pumping or intsense micro-managey building techniques create a long vacuum passage between 2 walls for perfect insulation

3. through mechanized doors create a long vacuum passage between 2 wall for perfect insulation except now it's extremely ugly.

:negative: I don't know if I have the strength of will to slowly tile by tile build a vacuum passage this long.

E. Option 4, ceramic pipes for strong insulation and a flow manager so I'm only transporting exactly as much liquid as I need so it keeps moving through the pipes and doesn't stick around to warm up, probably try this and see if it pans.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 10, 2020

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Okay I have to transport 5 degree celsius water about 200 tiles. The way I see it I have three options.

1. Use the best insulated pipe I have, hope for the best, maybe start with 3 degree water.

2. Through either ventilation pumping or intsense micro-managey building techniques create a long vacuum passage between 2 walls for perfect insulation

3. through mechanized doors create a long vacuum passage between 2 wall for perfect insulation except now it's extremely ugly.

:negative: I don't know if I have the strength of will to slowly tile by tile build a vacuum passage this long.

E. Option 4, ceramic pipes for strong insulation and a flow manager so I'm only transporting exactly as much liquid as I need so it keeps moving through the pipes and doesn't stick around to warm up, probably try this and see if it pans.

Option 5: transport the water as any temp until it arrives near it's destination, then use a chill room with storage tank for evening out heat as you loop it around, then drop it in storage or used as is. Building a small turbine cooler room is easy

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Yep. Keep in mind it's only gasses.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

User0015 posted:

Option 5: transport the water as any temp until it arrives near it's destination, then use a chill room with storage tank for evening out heat as you loop it around, then drop it in storage or used as is. Building a small turbine cooler room is easy

But I already need an aquatuner here and it can easily do more than just the one job, much more efficient to find a way to transport a cold liquid than have multiple coolers.

E: I'm totally going to use that mod, I could build liquid locks all over the place and there is a sort of pleasant naturalist feel to it but airlocks should just be airlocks in the first place IMO.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Agent355 posted:

I'd go with User0015s option 5, but on the topic of building long vacuum passages - it shouldn't be too bad. Either through digging out solid tiles adjacent to no gas (use a water lock if necessary) or just through gas pumps it shouldn't be too bad. I've had to build massive vacuum rooms for some of my weirder projects and the vacuuming portion of it usually goes smoother that I would expect.

Edit: if you use the airlock mod a vacuum passage is just solid blocks with an airlock on the end. Tunnel out the interior blocks and with no air to rush in it will all be vacuum.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 10, 2020

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

vacuuming out long and thin passages tends to be a wicked long process using a pump though the modded airlocks would make it pretty easy yah

I'm trying to save as much of my power as possible to waste on surf machines and other superficial crap so my dupes can live like kings in an automated heaven.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Agent355 posted:

E: I'm totally going to use that mod, I could build liquid locks all over the place and there is a sort of pleasant naturalist feel to it but airlocks should just be airlocks in the first place IMO.
They should at least decide if they want you to be able to easily build perfect airlocks or not - it's weird that airlocks don't work that way but liquid locks do. Either they should make airlocks work as such, add a building that acts as a liquidlock (takes up more space than a simple airlock, fails under evaporating or freezing temperatures, gives the wet feet debuff), or make liquid locks not work. If "no simple airlocks" is a design goal, it would be totally reasonable to have some gas bubble through a liquid lock when a dupe splashes through it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

User0015 posted:

They're common because they're just so drat easy. CO2 airlocks are also pretty easy but not quite as reliable as liquid ones.

Though it does feel cheesy I use a lot of crude oil liquid air locks.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The devs intend for you to use liquid locks, that's why visco gel exists, so you can make versions dupes can run through at speed. The downside is the sopping wet debuff, unless they're in an atmo suit, in which case there is no downside.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

But I already need an aquatuner here and it can easily do more than just the one job, much more efficient to find a way to transport a cold liquid than have multiple coolers.

Cool steam vents will normally have a slightly greater cooling requirement than a single aquatuner can offer, especially if you're making the water really cold. A pwater tuner can remove 585kDTUs/s, and cooling a kilogram of water from 100c to 95c requires 397kDTUs to be removed. If you need two or more kg/s of water, one aquatuner won't cut it. So you might as well do the final cooling close to the site.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Aethernet posted:

The devs intend for you to use liquid locks, that's why visco gel exists, so you can make versions dupes can run through at speed. The downside is the sopping wet debuff, unless they're in an atmo suit, in which case there is no downside.
Yeah it just seems like it should be a building that you make out of a liquid instead of having to fiddle it together manually. I've never played with visco gel though fwiw

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah it just seems like it should be a building that you make out of a liquid instead of having to fiddle it together manually. I've never played with visco gel though fwiw

The game is aching for a decent template system, so you can just bang down a liquid lock and tell dupes to bung 200kg each of oil and petroleum in it at the click of a button. Or a SPOM, or any of the builds you do multiple times once you've played the game for a while.

There's a blueprint mod, but that doesn't allow the kind of advanced instructions necessary for a liquid lock.

Also, visco gel is pretty dope.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Agent355 posted:

Sleetwheat farm? Build your hydroponic tiles on top of metal tiles. Feed the hydroponic tiles with insulated pipe and water at any temperature. Run polluted water or brine through radiant pipes through the metal tiles, and cool that water in an AT loop to -15C. Cooling (or heating...) the tile is way more effective for farms.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Aethernet posted:

Cool steam vents will normally have a slightly greater cooling requirement than a single aquatuner can offer, especially if you're making the water really cold. A pwater tuner can remove 585kDTUs/s, and cooling a kilogram of water from 100c to 95c requires 397kDTUs to be removed. If you need two or more kg/s of water, one aquatuner won't cut it. So you might as well do the final cooling close to the site.

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvRA80cPm4

Shows how you can use an aquatuner to force a cool steam vent to condense and harvest 90 degree water from it with an aquatuner, which is what I've done at the first cool steam vent I've found.

The quick explanation is that you use 2 diamond windows and a steel door to transfer heat from a cooled pool across to the steam room and keep it half full of water to act as a heat sink for the emerging steam.

With 2 vents I can use the autotuner to cool the hot steam vent's steam engine, chill the cool steam vent (which is only a backup water supply for when the hot steam vent isn't producing enough) and cool the pool of water to the appropriate temperature before getting pumped away.

It may not work but at least so far the aquatuner is gaining ground, thermally, as the temperature of the water has been steadily dropping to the desired temperature.

insta posted:

Sleetwheat farm? Build your hydroponic tiles on top of metal tiles. Feed the hydroponic tiles with insulated pipe and water at any temperature. Run polluted water or brine through radiant pipes through the metal tiles, and cool that water in an AT loop to -15C. Cooling (or heating...) the tile is way more effective for farms.

This is a cool idea, right now the plan is to just put the farm in a cold zone and simply chill the water so it isn't adding heat to the environment to make it effectively temperature neutral. So I'm not trying to actually cool the plants with the water, just not heat them up. I'll keep this in mind if it doesn't work out though.

E: okay now we're at heat equilibrium and the aquatuner isn't running constantly, now it just depends on how much heat it takes to cool 2.3kg of water per second (the amount I need for the sleet farm) and how much heat is going to be introduced by the geysers as they toggle on and off.

EE: finally earned enough ceramic to plumb the entire length of travel, I set the autotuner to cool the tank to 3 degrees, the outgoing pump to pump water that is 4 degrees or cooler, limited the flow to exactly as many grams as i need to feed the crops.

Water leaves the cooler at 3-4 and is arriving at about 4.6 if it travels nonstop. :perfect:

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 10, 2020

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I want to go to space, how do I telescope?

I have to place it on top of the map but it seems like it just meteors nonstop up there so how do I place it and actually use it without it just getting pummeled?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
A layer of air/mesh tile above the place where you're going to place the telescope (including 5 tiles to the left, two to the right). It does not change visibility like glass does and it allows an airgap from the really hot meteor stuff dropping all over the surface from hurting your equipment.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh1JtmQl4No

Stole this link from someone else in the thread, it has a lot of space based stuff explained in pretty good detail. I don't necessarily follow his exact approach to it all but it's an OK, if expensive, start.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Seems like the game has some performance problems once you get to the late game. I just finished expanding my industrial zone to be able to output a large amount of glass/ceramic/steel so I can achieve the last few of my goals, but now I'm getting alot of slowdown and a few crashes. rippo.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Seal off as much of the map from being path-able as possible and it will be helped. Don't use jetpacks in large areas. Kill animals. Remove loops from pipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also absolutely don't let the Shove Voles into the base... or live outside some very specific cases.