Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I enjoy how much it throws the Dork Knights off to be confronted by our grizzled veteran heroes during all this time traveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I am on tenterhooks for the next update. Stop faffing about, waah! :argh:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I think this should all make sense. I'm a bit cross-eyed, so gently point out any formatting errors of big mistakes. I just wanted to get this out on Christmas for reasons. This would have made a great final update, but you know I hate my sanity and there's still big important things left to discover, discuss, and stan for Knight of Lodis. Tithin, if at some point you could update the index, I'd appreciate it sir. I also apologize, the flashback colors aren't the same as when I use my personal computer vs. using my lunch breaks to do some filtering on the work computer.

I just didn't want to make a sarcastic end or do anything to take from the actual update which is a complete loving monster. I'm sorry guys, it's almost 3000 words with formatting, and that's after removing a bit to do as part of a later update. Thanks for continuing this crazy ride with me, it means a lot to have y'all care about my ramblings about one of my favorite games ever.

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, happy non-denominational event, whatever you celebrate (or don't), enjoy yourselves.

waah fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 25, 2019

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

World Episode 20 – No, I Just Have Something In Both Eyes

Well goons, here we are finally. The last battle of the game. Dear God we still have so much content left who put all of this in a single loving game???

There will be a metric crapton of flashbacks as I attempt to bring up important nuances of dialogue here that took place 2+ years ago in the LP and usually 200+ hours of play time in the past. I also expect to make a few mistakes because holy cow is there a lot of moving parts in this update, so feel free to let me know what I need to fix. I'll be updating this and the last update with a few things over the next week or two.

Where Are We?

:swoon: Look at that background art, that we finally get to see all of.

The Dark Knights are all assembled on a hilltop overlooking Golyat. That’s also a *LOT* of enemies. Well, here we go.

For those of you who didn’t quite catch on to Bregor’s joke in the thread about miracles and snow in Golyat.

Taken out of context, one might believe the Dark Knights to be somewhat noble in wanting to limit collateral damage. We know better though.

See?

Take note of what Balxephon is saying here, and of Volaq’s ignorance, because Balxephon isn’t one of Tartaros’s most trusted confidants for nothing.

Only Balxephon knew the true mission the night of the initial raid. And that they needed to be done and away before the Bakram showed up. It could have been because Tartaros trusted Balxephon, or it could have been for reason which we'll discuss shortly.

Tartaros isn’t exaggerating here. We bested the Dark Knights in every timeline and stopped some pretty supernatural poo poo from happening. However, the full might of Lodis would absolutely destroy any resistance that Don Quixote and his army could put up. Don Quixote bested only one contingent of at least 16 high champions, and it took everything the island had to do so. Lodis could easily send 4 times as many units, just as powerful as the contingent we’ve faced off against at once to crush us. Don Quixote beat a dedicated special ops group; he’d stand no chance against the full army.

But wait, there’s more! I’ll dive deeper into some of this in a future update, but let’s look back in Chapter 4 where there are some amazingly important bits of information hidden in giant walls of text Much like my post game portion of this LP

:goonsay: Waah, why are you linking a picture of Regent Brantyn? Haven’t you done enough flashbacks already?
: Yes, but this one’s really, really, reeeeeeaaaaly important. Tartaros had a level of planning and intelligence gathering that was on the same level as the Joker in The Dark Knight. Which, again, is why he’s so freaked out that we show up out of nowhere.

Understand now why they needed to be gone before the Bakram show up? If Brantyn finds out the Dark Knights are after Catiua, the gig is up, because Brantyn is one of the few people on the island who knew the importance of Catiua even before the conflicts began. And if Don Quixote’s father, a priest in an unimportant village, can figure out what the plan is, surely Brantyn would as well.

War crimes? Yep.

It helps to take a second to understand what’s implied here. Martym isn’t following him to make sure he “keeps the pace”, he’s making sure that that Volaq follows orders and doesn’t betray the rest of them. Which, as we pointed out in a previous episode, why you fight Volaq and Andoras in the first battle of the CODA, because the groupings of commanders in each fight actually has a lot of though put into it.

Volaq and Andoras (Potential traitors at the time of this event)
Oz and Ozma (Ozma is to be watched in case she learned the truth; Oz is a loose cannon)
Martym and Barbas (Loyal and follow orders without question, at least at the time of this event)
Balxephon and Tartaros (Tartaros and his most trusted advisor)

However, it’s rich that those who Tartaros thought he could trust to make sure no one betrayed him, did just that.

The screen pans down to see our three heroes, huddled together.

Poor Vyce…

: Right

: You watch yourself, sister.

Awwwwww yeah, are you ready for the final showdown?!?!!!!

Come on guys, don't get too excited yet. You know that in Tactics Ogre, we can’t start fighting until we’ve had a fireside chat with our enemies first before attempting to kill them.

Did you know Hobyrim’s last name is also Steelsong? What, it’s really Von Rahms? I got nothing, I want to say it’s not a mistake, but I’d be putting words into the CODA’s mouth.

:goonsay: It's never stopped you before Waah!
: Quiet you!!!! But since you interrupted me, I’ll take the chance for a flashback.

When Hobyrim speaks of Balxephon’s schemes, he’s talking first about how Balxelphon killed their father.

If nothing else, Tactics Ogre should be a tale of caution against blind nationalism.

Years ago, I used to hate when all the main characters in these stories were related or somehow knew each other. But I understand now, it’s a way to ratchet up the drama on a scale that everyone can understand and feel. You might not know how it would feel to be a soldier, but you can imagine how tough it’d be to face and possibly have to kill a sibling or parent.

Stand by, Vyce is about drop some knowledge on your guys.

I get that this is Vyce saying this out loud to make sure that the player understands what’s happened, but it also makes sense for him to have his aha moment and explain it to his comrades in this moment. *WE* saw the events unfold that the Dark Knights were up to nefarious things, but our heroes never actually did. It was a matter of us seeing cutscenes of the bad guys doing things, and betraying each other, but never actually seeing it happen in the moment.

Here, Tartaros is spooked because he knows how powerful the Xenobians are. Tartaros was expecting minimal resistance and to now have to face a Holy Knight of Xenobia, that would be extremely disruptive to both Tartaros’s plans and his timelines. Tartaros has this thing planned out beautifully, and it almost all fell into place due to his scouting and intelligence. If not for Abuna Prancet somehow convincing the Dark Knights that Catiua was not important at the time, the Dark Knights would have gotten away with everything.

We’re going to say Lanselot Hamilton took a few blows to the head during our campaign. Hamilton should absolutely know to expect Tartaros here, as when our heroes first attacked the Xenobians in the prologue, they mentioned a knight. I don’t really have a defense here; I think this is a rare misstep in the CODA. I guess you can say that they never spoke about him after saving Lanselot, but yeah, no defense here.

This is one of the examples of what has made this update so great, but what has made it grow in size so much and cause me to do so much effin research.

I misread Lanselot Hamilton's lines wrong. He's excited because he gets to settle the score with Tartaros
FLASHBACK TIME!!!!

Do you remember why the Xenobians (Warren, Hamilton, Canopus, Midryn, and Gilbert) came to the Valerian Isles in the first place?

The man speaking in this screenshot, the canonical king of Xenobia is Tristan, and in this screenshot he's banishing Canopus, Lans Hamilton, and Warren. Why?

Lodis sent a group of knights to steal the holy sword Brynhldr from the Xenobians. But why does that matter? Well guess who they sent to steal the sword? Tartaros and his men. Tartaros succeeded but he paid a very high cost.

[Inception Bwong]
Yep, Tartaros infiltrated Xenobia to steal the Brynhldr, did so, but Lanselot Hamilton ended up injuring Tartaros so badly that Tartaros lost an eye. Which is why in Chapter 4, he so delightfully comes in to mock a man being tortured.

I’ve been hammering this all CODA. Any commander worth his salt is going to be spooked and absolutely pissed at his scouts. But as I'm realizing now after remembering a few things and sourcing those quotes, this isn't just Tartaros being spooked about an army showing up out of nowhere. This is a guy who took down the equivalent of JRPG Lucifer, getting weak in the knees at the sight of the man who took his eye.

:popcorn:

Catiua on the other hand also realizes that the entire premise of the attack was a sham from the start.

Yeah, let’s go! We’re going all in on this fight. It’s what we’ve been waiting for, for a very long time.

And as we begin our initial movements and everyone gets their turns before units begin to die.

This Ozma is far different, and I wish she had more lines during the regular game to show her evolution.

I think Balxephon is great and under used in this game. I’m glad he’s canonically still alive for a future game.

We all know better
And since we’re not likely to see another game, let me lay out my thoughts here on Balxephon and Tartaros.

:goonsay: Jesus Waah, you’re doing a flashback to earlier in the update? How lazy can you…
: Im. Port. Tan. Te.

To my knowledge, that figure, shrouded by the curtains is the only time High Priest/Pope Sardian is ever shown. Balxephon is shown killing his parents, and blinding Hobyrim during Ozma’s recruitment. In that same scene, it’s mentioned that High Priest Sardian surrounded himself with “bootlickers and scullions”. The one thing we’ve learned throughout this game, (and especially Knight of Lodis) is that Tartaros is no one’s yes man. He’s loyal to a fault, but not a bootlicker. I believe that the next part of the story was to involve Balxephon scheming to take Tartaros’s position as high commander, and betraying him when they returned to Lodis. I’d like to think that Balxephon’s help when Sardian was coming into power would rank him higher in the eyes of a despot than a military commander who wields a great amount of power, despite Tartaros’s continued loyalty.

I’m not sure how he was supposed to fit in beyond that, but I truly believe that the plan was for Tartaros to be at worst a major player in at least one other chapter of the Ogre Battle saga, if not more.

Lastly, to touch on what I mentioned about there maybe another reason for Balxephon knowing about the true mission, but not anyone else other than Tartaros, it's a chance that Tartaros may have had his hands tied. Balxephon may have been told by the High Priest/Pope Sardian himself what the mission was, which would lead to some incredibly juicy political intrigue and possibilities.

Tangent aside…

Ozma is Storm from the X-men. Both had a stint as a bad guy, a tragic backstory, and a flair for melodrama…

YESSSSSSSSSS

Here’s a rare battle photo for these CODA battles, well for reasons.

This battle really is pretty hard. The AI really can’t handle it well, though if you are cautious and play through it, it’s not as bad as other battles, that’s for sure.

We also can’t have a pivotal battle without Deneb being around. :swoon: I love Magic Time.

Tartaros is a pretty amazing magic user. He will lay the hurt down as he works his way in, right before he stabs the poo poo out of all of your army.

Still, the battle grinds on, and the Dark Knights will begin to fall.

If Oz wasn’t so incredibly loving evil, this would be an amazing death quote.

Keep in mind that tarot card would normally be enough to make you really angry. Each of the Knight Commanders can drop their signature weapon as a rare drop. In fact, this battle is the only place where you can get a few of the rare drops, so if that’s your jam, expect to do this fight multiple, multiple times. This is the only place that you can get Balxephon’s spear the Volcaetus. You know that spear you learn about when get the Spear Enchidirion about 40 hours into the game and wonder when the heck can you ever craft the Ignis. It's now that you can try to craft it. A hundred to a couple hundred hours later.

Better than hedge knights finally, but well, these nobodies just killed you so….

This is an example of how bloody this fight has been, even as overpowered as we are right now.

Not every Dark Knight is dies. Volaq runs away. I find that he is one of the few who survive to be curious, and then I realize that he has to in order to not break the story, as he escapes with Tartaros and Balxephon at the end of the regular game.

Have some more hot Ozma on Ozma action.

And did you expect anything else from Martym?

Andoras has more regret, which is fitting. I feel bad for Andoras, he really gets the rawest deal all around. I would have loved to see his backstory fleshed out more, but as a wiseman once said:

He dead.

Balxephon peaces out as well.

And finally, Warren will be doing the honors. I’m a bit sad he has no lines in this battle, but with my luck, he does but I didn't bring the right party.

Lanselot realizes that this is no ordinary foe he is up against, and he runs.

The screen fades to black. Stand by, time to witness the finest moment Tactics Ogre has to offer.

We see our heroes at the church and a man we’re not sure who he is, yet.

Really? Hmm…

Our heroes listen to Abuna Prancet, and enter the church.

Whoa.

One of the most interesting things in the CODA is why everyone in the CODA absolutely loses their poo poo over seeing the heroes show up, and Abuna knows he’s not on in no danger, but is completely nonplussed about the affair.

I want you to do me a favor. I want you to think of a loved one who is no longer with you. I want you to really take a moment and see their face in your mind’s eye. I want you to remember the sound of their voice.

As you read these screenshots of a man seeing his father again. Of a father seeing his son, as he should not be, but as he hoped he would turn out.

Imagine that for just a few moments, you could see a loved one once again. That you could tell them that you’ve lived up to their hopes and dreams for you. That you’ve lived a life that would make them proud.

And imagine that you could hear their approval. Imagine that you could see the joy in their face, and let their approval and pride wash over you.

And that you could give them one final embrace. That after everything you’ve been through, and the months and years that you’ve been without them, go away for just a few fleeting moments. That you can be vulnerable again if even for just a few short minutes.

What would you say? How would you use that time?

And that you could know for sure, that they approved of everything you did in your attempt to honor their memory and wishes.

And that even in that moment, as you let your emotion free, they still manage to be selfless and inspire you. That they still manage to make you better.

Would you, could you be any different than Don Quixote in this moment?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

A lot of emotion in that last scene.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

You’re doing wonderful work.

If I’m wrong, ignore this, but...isn’t there some more content in that battle with, uh...a different deployment of your units?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

FairGame posted:

If I’m wrong, ignore this, but...isn’t there some more content in that battle with, uh...a different deployment of your units?

yes

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

FairGame posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

There is more content with this battle, and it's going to be its own update that's going to be heavily invested in Knight of Lodis lore.

The amount of stuff in the post game that I have still not even covered yet is just stupid, even if most of it outside of the actual ending, and the last bit of CODA 4 with a certain cast doesn't add much to the story.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I suspect they did all of this because they knew there was never going go be another game.

A pity. I loved the psx game so much and this game, weird grinding and crafting notwithstanding, is just exceptional at finishing off an already great game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wait, so we just beat the post game and there's still a post post game?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

FoolyCharged posted:

Yes, there's still an additional post game dungeon untouched with its own associated storyline, and the end coda fight we just saw has a different outcome if you use a different unit configuration.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

tithin posted:

Yes, there's still an additional post game dungeon untouched with its own associated storyline, and the end coda fight we just saw has a different outcome if you use a different unit configuration.

This loving game. There's so much cool poo poo and you won't see any of it without a super detailed guide and a fuckton of grinding.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Deep stuff.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
waah, Thank you for saving this until a day came where I could thank you for it. That heartfelt moment at the end is something special and I'd never seen it before. It's a shame that this great game has so much content (it's up there with DQVII) yet makes accessing it so bloody opaque. I don't think that even the One Vision mod addresses that - I think that it just addresses mechanical and balance issues. Still, I can see the incredible love that went into this because, as you said, they probably knew that this was the last one.

As for this day specifically... for you goyim out there Merry Christmas, Chag Chanukah Sameach for my fellow Jews and a relaxing day off (I hope) for those of no particular cultural/religious beliefs. Apologies to any Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists or others; I don't know your holy days well enough to comment.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Chag Chanukah Sameach my friend, and a merry Christmas / happy holidays to one and all.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

FoolyCharged posted:

:getin:

Fantastic update, waah. I love this game so much, and so do you, and it’s a beautiful thing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
That last scene with our father... I really wasn't expecting that. What a game. And there's still more to do?!

Do they address why/how he isn't surprised to see Don Quixote? (Or was that in the update and I missed it?)

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Solumin posted:

That last scene with our father... I really wasn't expecting that. What a game. And there's still more to do?!

Do they address why/how he isn't surprised to see Don Quixote? (Or was that in the update and I missed it?)

AFAIK, it's not mentioned. You could take an angle that Abuna Prancett is a holy man and likely passed a detect divinity check or something like that. You could say that he would always know his son if you feel sentimental, and I wouldnt fault you. You could say that Don Quixote is just having a fever dream, or that he's meeting a Wicce or otherwise malevolent spirit, and I'd accept that, though i'd be sad. Don Q deserves a nice moment for himself.

My personal take on it is that the writers decided to not fall into the Lost trap in trying to explain everything and saved their just accept the hand waive moment for here. I feel the how isnt nearly as important as the impact that's made here. This is a series with necromancy, magic, literal angels and devils, dragons, demihumans, and time travel, and for the most part, they are all explained. This one moment of ambiguity feels earned.

FoolyCharged posted:

It's been a while but the post below were our options when we finished CODA CH2 a... long time ago.

waah posted:

Re: The Next Update
You guys have the choice to choose.

A) This CODA Train don't stop: Finish CODA 3 and 4
B) I liek Angels Ethereal Visions: Oooh what is San Bronsa?
C) We've seen 9 months of the Palace of the Dead, why not 10?: Who is Blackmoor?
D) I encourage you to cheat and get orichalcum: Let see some Heavenly Generals
E) I have another idea: Name something I haven't covered in the post game or in the other choices

We'll leave voting open for til either the end of the day 4/6 (eastern time) or if it seems like it's a landslide.

Hint: 3 of these 5 options already have screenshots for.

Note that uhhh all we've done is finish the CODA.

ideally the schedule requires about 10-12 more updates to totally finish off "everything" in the post game.

1-2 updates to do the actual ending for the CODA and the game.

Oh yeah, that's right guys, that cutscene was just a great stopping point. We still got an the ending and the epilogue to talk through, which is probably at least an update or two.

San Bronsa post game ruins is at least 2 updates, tower or law, tower of chaos.

Blackmoor a super secret post game boss deserves his own update (though it's not a long one)

The heavenly generals are a haul. I'm not sure how I'm tackling this.

We need to beat CODA chapter 4 again, for reasons. I think it'll squeeze into one very long update.

There are a ton of mechanics/hidden bullshit that probably needs an update or two (divine knight, lich, ogre blade, weird characters, special hidden class for catiua)

Also a mini update or two in there for a few things I wanted to talk about but dont quite fit or deserve a full update.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

waah posted:

The heavenly generals are a haul. I'm not sure how I'm tackling this.

Just my opinion but I think you can be as brief as possible. They’re not terribly interesting or plot important AFAIK, just a dumb mechanic to get some endgame weapons and titles. Maybe show off one and say it’s indicative of the other 11. You can even tie that in with San Bronsa.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I seem to remember showing off one of the heavenly generals already, and even remarking at the time what a pain in the rear end it was to even spawn them, let alone get their weapon.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I only know of the one other way to do this battle and...good god, I can't even begin to imagine doing it.

As in, just the main trio. Against all these Dark Knight assholes. waah, don't feel obligated to do that one for us if it's that much of a pain, especially when from what I've heard, the only benefit is getting the Knight Commanders' bitchin weapons.

Also, not really a surprise that Volac is being pushed around by even some basic bitch like Martym. The guy's last name is Windzalf. As in Rauny and Overlord Hikash from Black Queen Ogre Battle. Wonder what backstory that guy has to make him join up with Lodis.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 26, 2019

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Bregor posted:

Just my opinion but

I agree with you about the battles themselves not being terribly interesting. I'm thinking more of how much I want to get into the actual lore behind them, because I think it's a cool cultural concept. It's just a matter of how much I want to expose myself to having commentary published to the internet for as long as the LP archive exists that may be terribly wrong.

For as often as JRPGs use imagery from Christianity and Judaism, I'd like to talk about a time when a JRPG uses a bit of lore from Buddhism. I'm just still not sure what form whatever I have planned is going to end up as an update.

tithin posted:

I seem to remember showing off one of the heavenly generals already, and even remarking at the time what a pain in the rear end it was to even spawn them, let alone get their weapon.

You did, and I'll be taking advantage of the fact that I only have to 11 instead of 12. :shepicide:

JustJeff88 posted:

waah, Thank you for saving this until a day came where I could thank you for it. That heartfelt moment at the end is something special and I'd never seen it before. It's a shame that this great game has so much content (it's up there with DQVII) yet makes accessing it so bloody opaque. I don't think that even the One Vision mod addresses that - I think that it just addresses mechanical and balance issues. Still, I can see the incredible love that went into this because, as you said, they probably knew that this was the last one.

Yeah One Vision is just a rebalancing of combat. To have a mod that removes the insane gates that need to be lifted in order to change CODA flags is something that would only happen if this Pokemon popular and had a group of 4 or 5 rom hacking teams competing to be the first to "fix" the game.

Luckily you guys happen to know someone who is silly enough to try to document it all in screenshot format. :wtc:

Actual Content:
Here, I've got a few GIFs that I've been working on that I want to add back in to previous updates as I'm a bit too emotionally drained to start on the next real update just yet. I want to make sure that this last update gets it's moment to breathe. San Bronsa isn't as crushingly awful as the Palace of the Dead, but it is still mostly combat so the updates will look similar in style and substance. I'm going to save the actual ending for when we redo CODA 4 for the last time.

I won't embed the larger GIFs out of respect for those out there with mobile data plans. The IMGUR limit on embeddable GIFs is apparently somewhere around 20 megs.

CODA 2 Pre-Rodrick Battle:
Don Quixote opens a chaos gate like a smuck.
http://i.imgur.com/InA9hh4.gifv

Don Quixote realizes he done hosed up good.
http://i.imgur.com/73KM4rI.gifv

Yep, really not good.
http://i.imgur.com/XszQ4Dp.gifv

King Rodrick showing up and being awesome right before he lives up to his reputation.
http://i.imgur.com/waUFKjc.gifv

CODA 4:
Oz being creepy AF

Oz causally committing murder. NBD.
http://i.imgur.com/ucQH43i.gifv

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

What a great update. This is one of my very favorite games, but I've never been able to commit the time to see the CODAs through. That ending scene had so much emotional weight, and I'm glad to have finally seen it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Is there a way to embed .gifs? The reasons I ask is that, in the archives, images are preserved but videos and gifs stored offline can eventually be lost. I understand that videos are very large, but I wasn't sure about gifs themselves.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

Is there a way to embed .gifs? The reasons I ask is that, in the archives, images are preserved but videos and gifs stored offline can eventually be lost. I understand that videos are very large, but I wasn't sure about gifs themselves.

Videos are also preserved by the internet archive, so it's just non-lpix GIFs that are in danger.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Solumin posted:

Videos are also preserved by the internet archive, so it's just non-lpix GIFs that are in danger.

Please elaborate on this, because I recently tried to look into some video-based Paper Mario LPs and most of those videos were lost, by which I mean "no longer available at the sites to which the archive was linked."

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

Please elaborate on this, because I recently tried to look into some video-based Paper Mario LPs and most of those videos were lost, by which I mean "no longer available at the sites to which the archive was linked."

According to the LP archive history: "In early 2009, the internet archive approached the LP archive with an offer of alliance. To aid in keeping videos safe from tumultuous and fickle video sites, the internet archive would host all video LPs in perpetuity, making LPs a small part of internet history."

I don't know how many videos have been saved but I assume this is still happening. Not all videos could be saved, sadly.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm probably gonna have to play with gif sizes to try to get them to embed just in case.

At worse I'll see about uploading the gifs directly to Lpix.

The only reason they aren't at this point is sheer inertia. I was never supposed to actually do any LPs, but when I put on the mask... well

With great grinding, comes great responsibility

Bregor
May 31, 2013

waah posted:

I was never supposed to actually do any LPs, but when I put on the mask... well

*extremely Bane voice* Let us cling... together!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Dear lord what have I done. There's now a multi-part spread sheet and about 8 hours of research into heavenly generals, buddhism, and the Japanese variations on it, and yeah.

My question for you all, is are there any cheats that will allow for enemies always dropping rare items so i can farm orichalcum and rack and pinions to make some forks?

I mean I'd take any cheat that allowed me to specifically just give myself 99 of the components I need to make them, but I still want to go back and "enjoy" farming for the rest of the rares I don't have with my actual vita since I haven't played this in easily a year and half now and I need to scratch the itch. Before I start a brand new save file, please god stop me guys

Edit: also if there's a cheat to selectively make steal up to level 8 that's fine too and i'll just steal all the orichalcum.

waah fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 9, 2020

Bregor
May 31, 2013

waah posted:

Before I start a brand new save file, please god stop me guys

:yeshaha:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Not personally tested, but try:

_C0 Quick Skill Rank up
_L 0x20035FF0 0x00073200

_C0 Enemy Always Drop Equips
_L 0x20026ADC 0x50A00006
_C0 Enemy Always Drops Equips OFF
_L 0x20026adc 0x50800006
Cannot be used with always drop tarot card
Works with always drop all items

_C0 Enemy Always Drop Items
_L 0x20026B70 0x94A60050
_C0 Enemy Always Drops Items OFF
_L 0x20026B70 0x00E6302A
Cannot be used with always drop tarot card
Works with always drop all equipment

_C0 Enemy Always Drops Card
_L 0x20026BB0 0x5800000A
_C0 Enemy Always Drops Card OFF
_L 0x20026BB0 0x5A80000A
Prevents item/equipment drops

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Quick SKill Up is incredibly quick, be warned.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Tallgeese posted:

If you try any of these, report back; I'm genuinely curious.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JustJeff88 posted:

If you try any of these, report back; I'm genuinely curious.

I tried all of them during my postgame and I can absolutely confirm that quick skill up moves like the fuckign wind. It's something like a 256x multiplier to skill earn rate.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Tallgeese posted:

You weren't kidding. Enemies are gaining a level in weapon skill per attack and it's taking about 2 successful steals to rank up (which is all I care about)

Edit: Of course I took screenshots to post later.

waah fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 13, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Hooray, I was useful! :dance:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

JustJeff88 posted:

Hooray, I was useful! :dance:

Very much so. It took 3 fights to get to steal level 8, and I was careful to not take too many characters that would gain skills excessively. I really just wanted to eliminate the need for grinding for orichalculum. For some reason that's the one thing in this game that saps my will to live.

Also your boy may or may not have started a new save file annnnd lets say it's been a long time since I've played the first 5 or so hours of this game. I can't be more impressed after just writing about the CODA at how many little things the beginning of the game gets right and stays consistent with for the entire game. The Warren Report entries change almost with every battle with the very first entries provide just a much information as the CODA does, just you have no idea how much the game is giving you when you first start. The flavor texts tell a story in themselves, and the half truths told by characters on all sides is just... :swoon:

I gotta start working on typing up an update soon, it's nothing special coming up, it's just the ending to CODA 4 and a little housekeeping, but not the whole CODA ending (the two are different things suprisingly). I hope to have something by the end of the month. What you should expect in the next 3 to 5 updates:

1) CODA 4 conclusion/housekeeping
2) San Bronsa Pt 1
3) San Bronsa Pt 2
4) San Bronsa Pt 3 (maybe I gotta see how long these updates end up being)
5) Palace of the Dead. :suicide: Again. For reasons.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
My favourite thing about this LP is that it's given me a profound appreciation for the game's writing, all while deepening my disdain for the grinding and repetition.

Edit: While the praise is due in considerable part to our noble LPers, the criticism is entirely a reflection on the game and not those portraying. Don't hate the gamer, hate the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Barring an emergency, new update tomorrow. I just gotta finish the terrible photoshops.