Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Can't wait for the Lower Decks animated show to be the one that basement nerds prop up as The One True Star Trek because it's purposefully light in tone and can't really broach the whole "Federation is corrupt" angle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, if it's Picard defying the authorities and breaking the rules to do good things and help people rather than commit war crimes and abuse people then it's still a huge step up.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I mean, every Starfleet admiral we ever meet across all the movies and TV shows (except Ross, kind of) are duplicitous at best and downright malevolent at worst so it doesn't seem much of a stretch that this would happen after the Dominion War and the destruction of Romulus. As long as Picard himself holds to his established character, this should be good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Seems like a reasonable story arc building out of what Picard dealt with. There is the prospect for grimdark tacticool milfic wank but then it was always there, lurking, waiting.

Cross-Section posted:

Can't wait for the Lower Decks animated show to be the one that basement nerds prop up as The One True Star Trek because it's purposefully light in tone and can't really broach the whole "Federation is corrupt" angle
How come?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

oh, mil fic. i thought you meant milf fic at first

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Nessus posted:

How come?

It'd just be ironic, given that the show has gotten a bunch of guff for its look and apparent tone, but that may end up saving it with certain segments of the fanbase in the end.

My personal stance is that I'm looking forward to all of it, even if Trek itself hasn't been consistently good since DS9 ended. Still entertaining, though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

oh, mil fic. i thought you meant milf fic at first

*gestures at conspicuously bulky trenchcoat* You want Star Trek milf fic?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

*gestures at conspicuously bulky trenchcoat* You want Star Trek milf fic?

pick posts in this very thread, you know

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sounds a lot like my pitch. *ahem*

Captain Picard was enjoying his life as a captain. He listened to Captain Kirk and chose not to become an admiral and found that to have been good advice for his satisfaction in life. He continued serving with Riker as his Number One for many happy years on many fun-filled adventures until Riker eventually took his own command. Captain Picard was very proud of him. Dr. Crusher continued to serve on the Enterprise and she and Picard really respected one another. She did good medicine and was considered an asset to the crew. Geordi LaForge learned how to relate to people more appropriately, and over time became a more compassionate person as well as a very fine engineer. He remained friends with Riker even after Riker became Captain Riker. Captain Riker did marry Deanna Troi as you might recall and they were happy in that situation. Even better, Troi's deep connection with such a good person allowed her to feel content from a relationship point of view. Riker also had a tremendous amount of respect for her skill set. Lxwana was happy her daughter got married and approved of the match. Data died for a while but he came back, and he came back because shards of the crystalline entity floated through space seeking him to let him know that he was the superior brother because he had the genuine capacity to care and used that to help others. Everyone was happy to see Data come back. That includes Wesley Crusher, who is doing well and is now a Lieutenant or something. Dr. Pulaski is doing well and she is serving on Riker's ship where they have a good level of camaraderie. Both crews are inspired by how functional the relationships are among the senior staff. Q comes by sometimes to be nice and to show the people he knows something cool.

MEANWHILE, Miles O'Brien has been very emotionally and spiritually satisfied living on earth with his wife Keiko. Their kids grow up well and are not disturbed in the head. Also, Worf is serving as Ambassasor on Qu'onos and he remembers Kurn exists and brings him back. They're happy as brothers now and Worf is a good brother, and has learned to be a good father to Alexander. Klingon society is flourishing under Martok and becoming healthier and more fulfilling for members of the Empire. They work with the Federation really well but maintain the cultural qualities which are important and unique to them as they segue towards a better future. Guinan has been working to help restore her people and their compassionate, wise culture. Barclay is in Hell, and Sonya Gomez got a promotion and feels valued.

Sometimes they happen to see other people in the universe, such as when Data sees his friend Dr. Bashir. Spot has been fixed but still gets to see her grown-up cat babies sometimes as they remain on the ship for morale. Ezri Dax has been able to offered measured and sensible support to the efforts for Klingon and Federation peace times one million. Odo is still restoring the Founders to being not-dickheads and he feels it's going well and that they'll be able to interact with solids someday in a productive way that helps both peoples. Quark made a lot of money but he's never forgotten his friends and he cherishes them! Rom has made for a level-headed and progressive Grand Nagus and Leeta is proud of him. Vic Fontaine was only a program and eventually was written over for a Backstreet Boys tie-in. Nog's doing well in Starfleet and got to meet Captain Picard who was very impressed. Benjamin Sisko is in Bajor Heaven which is full of creole and cajun food which are both yummy. His son is a podcaster which, fine. Kira has a position of power on Bajor and has been encouraged by its gradual but healthy recovery and how well they've brought back the positive aspects of their rich historic culture. She married Morn and that's been lovely. Weyoun is also back, but it's a clone of... Weyoun 6! So he's now chipper participant in bringing them Jem'Hadar to a place of peaceful independence. Kai Opaka is still where they left her.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

My personal stance is that I'm looking forward to all of it, even if Trek itself hasn't been consistently good since DS9 ended. Still entertaining, though.

Heck, :yossame:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

but what about jake

comedy option; jake got given superpowers by aliens and uses his cover as a mild-mannered reporter to conceal his true identity

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

but what about jake

quote:

Benjamin Sisko is in Bajor Heaven which is full of creole and cajun food which are both yummy. His son is a podcaster

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

But what about Cassidy and the baby?
And more importantly, Iggy Pop Vorta?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And I can't believe you didn't include Garak

Did he and Bashir finally get married

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
garak is definitely back on his bullshit

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I still can't believe CBS looked at the success of The Orville and said "people must like it because of the wacky humour, let's make our own funny show. Also, make it look like one of those shows that get pulled from Netflix after a year."

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And I can't believe you didn't include Garak

Did he and Bashir finally get married

Everyone in DS9 is weirdly okay being mates with a war criminal, and are constantly surprised when he commits more war crimes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Picard being awkward around kids is a cute thing that you don't often see in a sympathetic character, especially for someone you'd expect to naturally fit as a wise grandpa type. It's also of course taken to its logical end when kids absolutely adore him without prompting. (reminds me of Granny Weatherwax)

Still reckon he should totally the communist version of Scrooge McDuck, give him three half-Romulan nephews he never knew about. Maybe backup Shinzons he takes under his wing.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Picard being awkward around kids is a cute thing that you don't often see in a sympathetic character, especially for someone you'd expect to naturally fit as a wise grandpa type. It's also of course taken to its logical end when kids absolutely adore him without prompting. (reminds me of Granny Weatherwax)

Still reckon he should totally the communist version of Scrooge McDuck, give him three half-Romulan nephews he never knew about. Maybe backup Shinzons he takes under his wing.

Turns out Shinzon was a deadbeat dad and now Picard has to look after his kids since they're technically Picard's kids too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

womb with a view posted:

I still can't believe CBS looked at the success of The Orville and said "people must like it because of the wacky humour, let's make our own funny show. Also, make it look like one of those shows that get pulled from Netflix after a year."

I still can totally believe that goons are talking out their ample assess about something we've been shown two still images of

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Timby posted:

To a certain extent, the Locarno / Paris thing makes sense. For example, David Simon and Jay Landsman (the Baltimore cop the character was based upon) got a royalty check every single time John Munch showed up in an episode of Law & Order: SVU, which, after fifteen seasons (and two later guest appearances), added up to quite a bit, and is a large reason Munch was absent in a lot of the episodes for his last five or six seasons.

That kind of money does have an impact on a show's budget.

How much would they have had to pay?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pick posted:

Sounds a lot like my pitch. *ahem*

too long; read anyway. worth it for Barclay and Jake

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m fine with the Picard Show dealing with modern issues like refugees and isolationism as long as they don’t gently caress it up

I believe that Michael Chabon is the main writer and he has a good track record at least

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That Picard synopsis is definitely not unsalvageable, but there's reason to be skeptical. There's no reason the Federation needs to be completely beyond scrutiny -- it never was -- but it'll be upsetting if they haven't at least partially course-corrected by the end of the season.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pick posted:

Kai Opaka is still where they left her.

Lmao

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
It seems like Patrick influenced the writing direction a lot for the show. I'm leaning toward that being a bad thing. Still excited for the show but every teaser they've shown I feel a bit embarrassed at the state of the CGI.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

It seems like Patrick influenced the writing direction a lot for the show. I'm leaning toward that being a bad thing.

You'll change your mind once you see his sweet dune buggy scene.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Everyone in DS9 is weirdly okay being mates with a war criminal, and are constantly surprised when he commits more war crimes

Well, Sisko has also done war crimes ("For the Uniform" etc), Jadzia went on a murder vacation, Worf is a terrorist, Quark got the station taken over and Jadzia almost killed with no consequences, Kira admitted to intentionally targeting children as a terrorist ("The Darkness and the Light"), Odo was a collaborator on DS9 and almost foiled recovery of the station loving his mom, Miles sabotaged Bashir attempt to help the Jem'Hadar against orders, idk it seems like that should be a bonding experience if anything.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

EvilTaytoMan posted:

You'll change your mind once you see the rotating cast of love interests half his age.

FTFY. (Though I think Stewart was just a horn dog who swept in on every attractive guest star, not that he demanded actors like Hetrick get cast just so he could creep on them specifically.)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I do like how behind the scenes stories imply that within a year or two of joining TNG, Stewart went from a no-nonsense serious actor to a goofball skirt chaser

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HD DAD posted:

I do like how behind the scenes stories imply that within a year or two of joining TNG, Stewart went from a no-nonsense serious actor to a goofball skirt chaser

American TV: your source for misogynistic fun!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Actually they nerf Garak pretty bad as time goes on. Early, even, he's killing people where he'd be justified (imminent threat, like Entek), later because of psychoactive drugs (Empok Nor), and then later in the context of immediate conflict. He even has to kill Entek because he's been blackmailed to go on a dangerous mission by Sisko. They should have let him have little a murder, as a treat.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean, it doesn't Picard even kill guys in chain of command part one? When it was deffo bullshit shady to be on that planet? I mean attractive hazard but

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Where do I go to hear the good stories? All I watch are interviews about how much everyone respects each other.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

a post-credits scene where it reveals Garak knew about the murder drugs and had taken an antidote before boarding the station

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Snow Cone Capone posted:

a post-credits scene where it reveals Garak knew about the murder drugs and had taken an antidote before boarding the station

he just does too many drugs normally and was immune

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pick posted:

I mean, it doesn't Picard even kill guys in chain of command part one? When it was deffo bullshit shady to be on that planet? I mean attractive hazard but
I watched that episode recently and it’s not clear if the Cardassians Picard shoots are stunned or killed

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

FlamingLiberal posted:

I watched that episode recently and it’s not clear if the Cardassians Picard shoots are stunned or killed

It's best not to dwell on such minutiae.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm excited for Brand! Are you excited for more Brand!? I remember brand from when I was young, and now this reminds me of brand. I know I can take it seriously as an adult because it's dark and that's how I know it's a grown-up thing. My Brand!

Seriously I feel like they've completely run the whole "federation has lost its way" angle completely into the dirt. Of course it's not impossible to tell a relevant story that way but at this point I'm just burned out on that poo poo. Blah blah rich people don't believe a better world is possible blah blah this is reflected in the media they produce blah blah gently caress everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pick posted:

Well, Sisko has also done war crimes ("For the Uniform" etc), Jadzia went on a murder vacation, Worf is a terrorist, Quark got the station taken over and Jadzia almost killed with no consequences, Kira admitted to intentionally targeting children as a terrorist ("The Darkness and the Light"), Odo was a collaborator on DS9 and almost foiled recovery of the station loving his mom, Miles sabotaged Bashir attempt to help the Jem'Hadar against orders, idk it seems like that should be a bonding experience if anything.

People give Quark too much poo poo for that incident imo. He just wanted to sell a piece of stolen art. No way he could have known this was a strike team going after Jadzia.

Odo makes the mistake of letting dangerous people on the station that theater their lives all the drat time and it's his job to not do that.

Rules of acquisition say A Deal is a Deal and A Contact is A Contract is A Contract. He promised to sell them this harmless statue. Ferengi are not responsible for the stupidity of other races. The only person who is guilty of almost getting Jadzia killed is society