Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

zapdos is zapdope. kanto articuno is still the best of any of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So I just want to drive by and say I think the expansions look cool, I appreciate expansions over a second version, but why gods why did you loving bring back the tapus and genies?! :argh:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Like I have Ultra Moon raring to go with a full dex. I'm good and set. I just think it's raw that for people not in my situation that they're going to have to either shell out money to get garchomp or suffer the non-gts issue for it.
Home is coming out well before the expansion, and you'll remember they said it was going to feature trading functionality. I'm 100% confident this is why they left anything beyond basic trades out of SwSh: the GTS equivalent (and maybe some other systems too?) is going to be in Home.

This will probably also mean you'll need to awkwardly keep transferring mons in and out of Home, which I'm not looking forward to.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Galar Slowpoke seems completely pointless without its evo, the only difference between it and a normal Slowpoke is that it's pure psychic instead of water/psychic.

Also Clara is way better than the hat weirdo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The most surprising thing about the announcement is Pokemon Home next month! I’ll be able to manage the bank on my phone (and hopefully iPad)! The future is now!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Eimi posted:

So I just want to drive by and say I think the expansions look cool, I appreciate expansions over a second version, but why gods why did you loving bring back the tapus and genies?! :argh:

The Tapus rule, wtf

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm glad Moltres isn't a rubber chicken anymore. It was always one of the absolute worst designs for a legendary so I'm glad it's getting some kind of upgrade

https://twitter.com/ItsBenOneWeek/status/1215292894908575745

It's the ears mostly really.

Also I'm going to try and build a team of Phantom thieves and articuno is now on it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Augus posted:

The Tapus rule, wtf
Yeah they rule

rule the meta, that is

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Augus posted:

The Tapus rule, wtf

It's like the same pokemon 4 times.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Just play Pokemon with friends and never worry about sweaty meta teams and have fun :toot:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Finished the Mystery Dungeon DX demo. The backgrounds actually work surprisingly well with the retextured 3D models, although some look better than others. Mudkip looks great, Pidgey flying over the map in the intro...not so much. I don't know if it's just been too long but it felt like the controls were way more complicated than they used to be (two whole new trigger buttons!) but I'm sure I'd get used to it. All in all I'm actually pretty excited, I played the poo poo out of Blue Rescue Team back in the day and I barely remember anything other than being awed at the pretty, pretty pixel BGs.

eta: there's also Auto Mode where your characters automatically move around looking for objectives/items/the stairs until you get into combat range. It might seem like easy mode but I actually kind of liked it. Gives my hands a break.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder how they'll scale the expansions. Will it just continue from the end of the main game with the beginning trainers/wild pokemon being 60+ or will it scale to your level when you enter the DLC? Either way I think I'll make a new team.

Wild speculation time: Gigantamax Rillaboom/Cinderace/Intelleon will be the first Gigantamax you don't catch/are gifted: The dojo master will convert your starter to the Gigantamax version. Possibly adding a way to convert other non-Gigantamax Pokemon too?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
ACAB

y'All Can Apricorn Ball

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

I wonder how they'll scale the expansions. Will it just continue from the end of the main game with the beginning trainers/wild pokemon being 60+ or will it scale to your level when you enter the DLC? Either way I think I'll make a new team.

Wild speculation time: Gigantamax Rillaboom/Cinderace/Intelleon will be the first Gigantamax you don't catch/are gifted: The dojo master will convert your starter to the Gigantamax version. Possibly adding a way to convert other non-Gigantamax Pokemon too?

Hoping we can start catching some starter pokemon in the DLC. I'd like to get an inteleon with it's hidden ability in a moon ball.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oxyclean posted:

They all have unique sihoulettes and distinct personalities! Don’t act like this is the same kinda situation as the Gen 5 monkeys

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 9, 2020

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Site updated with more details: https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/expansionpass/

Galarian Slowpoke doesn't require the expansion pass, only that you've updated to the latest version.

It has Gluttony instead of Oblivious, is pure Psychic and learns Acid instead of Water Gun. Otherwise identical to normal Slowpoke.

Kubfu has Inner Focus.

quote:

It has an organ that produces “fighting energy” in its lower abdomen, and before heading into battle, it will increase this energy through unique breathing techniques and intense focus.

Kubfu evolves into one of two Urshifu forms based on "choices made during your adventure" and not game version. Urshifu's ability is Unseen Fist, what it does is unknown.

Calyrex has Unnerve.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Oxyclean posted:

The Azelf trio, with their identical body shapes and color palettes, would like to have a word.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I'm not super enthused by this strategy of rushing a game out in time for the holiday deadline, and then filling in the gaps with dlc. But at least they are reversing the decision to only have certain pokemon in the galar dex and putting in some of the old ones. And they arent repeating the mistake of XY/ORAS compatibility, letting people without the dlc still have access to the additional pokemon. So that's nice.

I wonder if SwSh will have additional dlc or only have just the two announced today.

Wake me up when they remake Explorers of sky

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Augus posted:

They all have unique sihoulettes and distinct personalities! Don’t act like this is the same kinda situation as the Gen 5 monkeys
Sorry, you're right, they do actually have distinct looks and typings from one another. My brain just kinda autofills to Tapu Koko and forgets the other ones.

TheHan posted:

The Azelf trio, with their identical body shapes and color palettes, would like to have a word.
Oh yeah, I really don't care for the lake trio. For some reason I was thinking the Tapus were doing a similar thing but I'm just wrong.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Procrastine posted:

Calyrex has Unnerve.

It sure does

Will Cara Liss's crimes never end?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Issue is if people don't want to trade 200 times with someone to get all the mons.

Like I have Ultra Moon raring to go with a full dex. I'm good and set. I just think it's raw that for people not in my situation that they're going to have to either shell out money to get garchomp or suffer the non-gts issue for it.

I'd bet within a month, the not-Wonder trading would flood everyone with those remaining 200, especially Gible.

unless the trading is even more restrictive and you can't wondertrade these incoming pokemon

Abundant Atrophy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 9, 2020

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Procrastine posted:

Calyrex has Unnerve.
Calyrex the type o' mon to get a rush out of telling people John Lennon beat his wife

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

The hat man looks like he would like to destroy me using Facts and Logic.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Calyrex gives me flashbacks to that creepy forest golem kaiju that DarkBall!Celebi makes in the fourth movie. I looked up an image and they don't actually look all that similar, but I can't change how I feel.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Pentaro posted:

The hat man looks like he would like to destroy me using Facts and Logic.

Hat man and bow girl have some potent bisexual energy going on and I'm all here for it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait, shouldn't it be called Isle of Armour?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Flopsy posted:

Hat man and bow girl have some potent bisexual energy going on and I'm all here for it.

As ever their design game for humans is 10/10

I really don't like Calyrex, but maybe Urshifu can win me over, I don't immediately dislike it.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait, shouldn't it be called Isle of Armour?

It's full of pokemon, not potted meat products! :rolleye:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Procrastine posted:

Calyrex has Unnerve.

Yeah, yeah that tracks. This is literally the most unnerving Pokemon ever created.

I'm hoping Avery is non-binary, it's high time we had a non-binary character in the main games.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Eimi posted:

As ever their design game for humans is 10/10

I really don't like Calyrex, but maybe Urshifu can win me over, I don't immediately dislike it.

I bitch a lot on here I'll fully own that but even I have to admit they've been knocking their character designs out of the park this Gen.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, yeah that tracks. This is literally the most unnerving Pokemon ever created.

Mewtwo has nothing on this wall eyed sunuvabitch.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I love the idea of DLC for Sword/Shield instead of a pseudo-sequel. This can stretch out a gen for longer than normal.

Also I can totally see Urshifu being a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate fighter in the future DLCs.

I'm also trying to figure out how Urshifu represents armor. Clyrex being a crown is obvious, but not Urshifu.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Why is the island off the coast of Pokebritain just Japan again

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Man, people really love putting words in Masuda's mouth don't they?

People are acting like he ever once said "we will never add more Pokemon via patches or DLC." And it's not like they just dropped them back into the game, they're included in the DLC and it's far from all of the cut mons. Acting like this is a backpedal or some grand Dexit reversal rather than just plain planned from the start DLC is real odd.

Ometeotl posted:

Oof. If anything, it's China.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Flopsy posted:

Mewtwo has nothing on this wall eyed sunuvabitch.

Yeah, this is the first Pokemon to make me feel physically repulsed when looking at it. There's just this uncanny valley wrongness about it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is Isle of Armor just Kung Fu Panda?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Man, people really love putting words in Masuda's mouth don't they?

People are acting like he ever once said "we will never add more Pokemon via patches or DLC." And it's not like they just dropped them back into the game, they're included in the DLC and it's far from all of the cut mons. Acting like this is a backpedal or some grand Dexit reversal rather than just plain planned from the start DLC is real odd.

Oof. If anything, it's China.

https://nintendoeverything.com/game-freak-has-no-plans-to-add-missing-pokemon-in-sword-shield-later-on/

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
They've said nothing about Pokémon Home and its long term transfer/storage situations, right?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Ometeotl posted:

What’s more British than assimilating other cultures.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Procrastine posted:

Calyrex has Unnerve.

my dude out here looking like the Milwaukee Bucks logo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Okay, I'll take the L on that one.

Although given what happened with a lot of Pokemon articles during that time, I'd be more comfortable if I could see the original Japanese since there's a difference between "we won't make cut Pokemon available at all" and "We won't make cut Pokemon available in the Sword/Shield base game."