Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

i say swears online posted:

I'm always surprised to see how populated northeast texas is. Lots of little towns I guess

You can pretty much trace a line through the bright dots from Dallas to north Louisiana, and it will almost match I-20. Tyler and Longview are pretty big probably because I-20 is a huge corridor for shipping since it goes from coast to coast. Buckee's, Love's, and Duke's are the landmarks I remember mostly when going back to LA to visit family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

poemdexter posted:

You can pretty much trace a line through the bright dots from Dallas to north Louisiana, and it will almost match I-20. Tyler and Longview are pretty big probably because I-20 is a huge corridor for shipping since it goes from coast to coast. Buckee's, Love's, and Duke's are the landmarks I remember mostly when going back to LA to visit family.

They're building up I-69 through Lufkin, Nacogdoches, and Texarkana so all those smaller places may start growing as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pal uh steen

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

PostNouveau posted:

They're building up I-69 through Lufkin, Nacogdoches, and Texarkana so all those smaller places may start growing as well.

ooo nice

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

zoux posted:

Pal uh steen

Paluhsteen, mangosteen....coincidence?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RobertTGarrett/status/1214924982586925056

As ever, confusion and frustration to mine enemies.

Also the two "huge" retaliations were not appointing Chris Paddie as Sunset chair (I'm sure his staff is overjoyed) and yanking Lyle Larson from SWIFT.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

poemdexter posted:

This reminds me. If Tyler and Longview weren't fools and decided to build up an airport between the cities instead of each have their own regional one, things would be better off for both places. However, dumb regional city rivalries will prevent this forever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spacebump posted:

This reminds me. If Tyler and Longview weren't fools and decided to build up an airport between the cities instead of each have their own regional one, things would be better off for both places. However, dumb regional city rivalries will prevent this forever.

How much of that is straight up football based

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

It's Texas, what does your heart tell you?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

John Tyler versus Longview can be a fun game to watch tbh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My clear eyes and full heart tell me it's 110% the case

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Are any of you guys active with any campaigns in Tarrant or Denton County?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

Tyler has Earl

Longview had Mccoughney

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I just remember the news being unable to shut up about John Tyler and “Cujo” in the 90s

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Arcella posted:

I just remember the news being unable to shut up about John Tyler and “Cujo” in the 90s

‘94 JT versus Plano East was a game for sure.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

‘94 JT versus Plano East was a game for sure.

Tell me about it Uncle Rico.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HS football is actually a pretty big drag on ed reform. It's probably the major obstacle in district/campus consolidation. You know aside from the insane amounts of money we spend on it instead of classroom instruction.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In theory, monetizing academic sports can help schools pay for things, but in practice they suck that value right back out with expensive equipment, facilities, and coaches. It also relies on extracting value out of students without reimbursing them in any way.

It's good to give students some physical activity, but it should never be done at the cost of compromising the main purpose of schools.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
my high school football coach was caught slamming the US Govt teacher in the classroom by a student

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
If there were no consequences, then that's a pretty good metaphor or whatever.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
At least it wasn't a student - is a sad thing to think reflexively.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

TropicalCoke posted:

my high school football coach was caught slamming the US Govt teacher in the classroom by a student

Like a poetry slam? Or...

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

dalstrs posted:

Are any of you guys active with any campaigns in Tarrant or Denton County?
kinda busy but was thinking about doing some volunteering for local races starting in february

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NBCDFW/status/1215262923762884611?s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/NWSSPC/status/1215336494291963905

To my great shame I lived in KS for three years, long enough to experience the 1991 Andover tornado that almost hit my house, but we had basements to go into to seek shelter. I still get a little antsy around huge storms especially since all we've got is interior rooms. Very few houses in Texas have basements, and you've probably heard it's due to the clay soil or other some such, but there's literally no reason other than culture.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i was in the '97 tornadoes that took out jarrell. blockbuster videos everywhere

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/NWSSPC/status/1215336494291963905

To my great shame I lived in KS for three years, long enough to experience the 1991 Andover tornado that almost hit my house, but we had basements to go into to seek shelter. I still get a little antsy around huge storms especially since all we've got is interior rooms. Very few houses in Texas have basements, and you've probably heard it's due to the clay soil or other some such, but there's literally no reason other than culture.

Yeah, I was actually wondering about that re: basements here. I watched them dig a ginormous hole multiple times at UTD for buildings, not to mention all the other buildings that have multi story basements or underground parking structures.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's neat, i didn't know. always figured it was due to limestone

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

TropicalCoke posted:

My HS football coach was the US Govt teacher.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
The football couch was the calculus teacher at my school.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Il Federale posted:

My HS football coach was the US Govt teacher.

My school had 2. One taught biology, one taught driver's ed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

zoux posted:

Very few houses in Texas have basements, and you've probably heard it's due to the clay soil or other some such, but there's literally no reason other than culture.

The article goes into it, it's possible of course, but it gets expensive. I live in the Hill Country north of SAT and people here CAN get swimming pools, but they're almost double the cost of other locations because the amount of rock that needs to be blown up and removed to put one in. I've heard from neighbors that unless you have 60K don't even think about an in ground pool. The house I'm living in now is sitting directly on limestone, they literally just scraped the topsoil off the lot and poured the foundation right on top. They had to jackhammer my fence posts in. Can you build a house with a basement here? Yeah if you have the money. I wouldn't say it's so much a cultural thing, it's a financial thing. My last house was in an expansive soil area, I wouldn't have wanted to deal with a basement there either. You can engineer for almost anything if you have enough money.

I lived in Topeka for years, and basements are awesome for lots of reasons, but I wouldn't pay the extra money it would take to have one here in Texas. If I ever custom build though, a nice lot that would allow a basement style walkout of the back of the house would be pretty cool.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Some relatively interesting riders, but overall nothing too exotic:

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/01/08/sushi-steak-booze-mcallen-taxpayers-funded-enrique-iglesias-lavish-requests/

Makes me wonder how much of that food went to waste. One of my brothers worked as an executive chef for a hotel that regularly hosted Cruise, Depp, Clooney, etc. and said that most of that king stuff ended up being thrown out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1215406889544142849

I guess he thinks we're a bunch of hicks who want to see our favorite syndicated daytime tv personalities.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1215406889544142849

I guess he thinks we're a bunch of hicks who want to see our favorite syndicated daytime tv personalities.

Do you think he’s wrong

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The hicks are republicans! I am genteel and would prefer a O network celebrity

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I WANT LOVE ISLAND CAST MEMBERS drat IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
So my wife and I are probably going to vote for the first time in a primary election this year. The Democratic one.

Do we like, just show up? Do we need anything more than our drivers license?

Edit: does Texas still have that primary and a caucus deal?

Numlock fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 10, 2020

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Make sure you're registered to vote in the county you live in, deadline is Feb. 8th or somewhere around there. You can check your status here. For voting itself you need a valid form of identification, drivers license is enough. Your address on your DL does not have to match your voter registration, don't let the old ladies stop you from voting.

Texas Democratic Party allocates state level delegates in accordance with percentage of popular vote for candidates who received more than 15 percent of the vote based on the State Senate district in which they received that vote. More here. Don't worry about caucuses. If you vote one party's primary, you cannot go vote in that other party's runoff. If you sign a petition for a candidate to be placed on a party's primary ballot, you cannot vote for another party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The texas two step is dead, we're only a primary state