Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
And now starts the Fox News type incestuous cycle of a rumor across the news media. Hearst would be proud that American propaganda lives on into the 21st Century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

please let this be the timeline where Donnie does the "WAACP" thing in real life .

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

And nothing is going to happen about it I assume

what can really happen? if this was a fuckup by some low level missile crew than there's not much to learn except, train your guys better i guess. there's nobody to really hold accountable except for the poor bastards manning the system

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm still not gonna trust the US about anything when it comes to Iran so I'm going to sit in wait and see mode.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

luxury handset posted:

if true, then it's probably some nervous missile system operator who doesn't know how to work the relatively new equipment committing a pretty serious personal fuckup, and the immediate supervisor who green lit the shot

Several US aircraft were destroyed by friendly AA fire the day after Pearl Harbor, and of course there was the Battle of Los Angeles in February of '42 when every AA gun in the city started firing into an empty night sky. In high tension situations, people are scared, jumpy, and are willing to let their imaginations run away with them—which is why it's important not to let tensions get that high in the first place.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

At this point now it ascertained the plane was shot down. There is no reason to actually believe anybody right now about who did it is more important.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

It's a terrible accident and tragedy, what could possibly be done except apologies and blaming Trump for starting this whole loving mess?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
loving up your vengance show of force so bad you kill a planeload of your own citizens is some :stonk: stuff.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Almost Smart posted:

Cancer deaths are down, so it only makes sense that we need to roll back some more environmental protection regulations to balance things out.

Wind energy up, cancer deaths down... you can't explain that!

mystes
May 31, 2006

It just shows that Iran is incompetent unlike the US military which never kills civilians.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

loving up your vengance show of force so bad you kill a planeload of your own citizens is some :stonk: stuff.

the missiles which were fired into iraq are a completely different kind of missile than would have been used to shoot down the airliner

if that is what happened, then the most likely situation is someone fatfingering their AA control panel in a fit of nervous incompetence

Nonsense posted:

At this point now it ascertained the plane was shot down. There is no reason to actually believe anybody right now about who did it is more important.

if the plane was shot down then there's really no other possibility other than the revolutionary guard, aside from some random weirdo with a rocket launcher on a grassy knoll

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

luxury handset posted:

the missiles which were fired into iraq are a completely different kind of missile than would have been used to shoot down the airliner

if that is what happened, then the most likely situation is someone fatfingering their AA control panel in a fit of nervous incompetence

A fit of nervous incompetence brought on because they were firing missiles into iraq that night.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Space Gopher posted:

You stop reading after six words?

There is a difference. 2003 was "he's bad, kill him." The other one says the opposite. Now, it's "He's bad? So what?" This one opposes a war.

Because people who said the latter in 2003 weren't called Saddam-lovers anyway.

Did Republicans praise Nancy Pelosi's thoughtful nuance

How many times are you going to fall for their stupidass propaganda about the evil furriner

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

A fit of nervous incompetence brought on because they were firing missiles into iraq that night.

completely different group of dudes entirely

this is like, we're launching airstrikes from this air base, also a guard at the airbase gate saw ghosts and wiped out a bus full of civilians with a machine gun

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

luxury handset posted:

if the plane was shot down then there's really no other possibility other than the revolutionary guard, aside from some random weirdo with a rocket launcher on a grassy knoll

I suppose it is entirely likely at this point to be Iran, as they would probably blame a terrorist group for this rather than take the L.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Is it worth going to war over?

I think we've applied sanctions to everything that can be sanctioned already. Maybe Ukraine and Canada should send them a bill

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"I support Thanos but Need an Exemption" :shepface:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 9, 2020

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

luxury handset posted:

completely different group of dudes entirely

this is like, we're launching airstrikes from this air base, also a guard at the airbase gate saw ghosts and wiped out a bus full of civilians with a machine gun

Again: The airbase gate saw those ghosts because you put them on max alert for a response from you launching said airstrikes.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i get that you're trying to explain the concept of people being nervous to me but i dont think we can really connect this to the iranian military as a whole loving up their strike on american military bases

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

luxury handset posted:

i get that you're trying to explain the concept of people being nervous to me but i dont think we can really connect this to the iranian military as a whole loving up their strike on american military bases

I would think that if after your show of force you wound up some radar operator so tight he accidentally shot down a 737 that, yes, your military hosed things up.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

The US has no experience shooting down airliners, especially Iranian ones, and even if they did it would be reprimanded and serious changes would be made. Definitely the perpetrators wouldn't be given medals. Absolutely not.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

"I support Thanos but Need an Exemption" :shepface:

Thanos did this. He was never in any danger from the snap.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Hmmm, tensions in the Iran/Iraq region fueled by US policy and action results in a shootdown of a passenger jet in Iran shortly after takeoff? Where have I heard that before?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
you, a dilettante: check out Iran Air 655
me, a scholar: check out Korean Air 007

seriously though people in the military gently caress up all the time, red alerts or no

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

luxury handset posted:

beaten

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1215015559877812228

Great quote from Hasan and a good counter-narrative to the "TRUMP AVOIDED WAR" bullshit

Nice!

"He sets things on fire so he can play firefighter" is a really great way to describe Trump.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

luxury handset posted:

you, a dilettante: check out Iran Air 655

seriously though people in the military gently caress up all the time, red alerts or no

Also MH-17, shot down by the Russians over Ukraine and I forgot the number, the flight that got shot down over black Sea by Ukraine eternity ago when they had joint exercises with Russia rather than a war.

Also Ukraine sure has some weird karma with that, for a country that had it's freedom for so short.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Frankly speaking if your military hasn't whoopsie'd an airliner, are they even taking their jobs seriously?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Also MH-17, shot down by the Russians over Ukraine and I forgot the number, the flight that got shot down over black Sea by Ukraine eternity ago when they had joint exercises with Russia rather than a war.

Also Ukraine sure has some weird karma with that, for a country that had it's freedom for so short.

We'll see Putin go for Belarus this decade.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nonsense posted:

We'll see Putin go for Belarus this decade.

Well, they have apparently been in talks to merge parliaments. I am having a hard time understanding what it means in practice since both Russian and Belarusian parliaments barely have any authority in practice.

Batka likes playing weird games with this sort of thing, though, managing to be in decent relations with basically everyone, though...

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Guys it was incredibly obvious that it was shot down when the alternative explanation was a literal one in a million mechanical failure taking it down. Don't let your biases cloud your judgment on this one.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

OddObserver posted:

Let’s not forget when Russia killed the polish president by shooting down his plane disintegrating the engine and then put the remains of some other dude in his coffin that went back to Poland

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1215331175016865793

https://youtu.be/yoglNFN5-Js

Amazing

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Seph posted:

Guys it was incredibly obvious that it was shot down when the alternative explanation was a literal one in a million mechanical failure taking it down. Don't let your biases cloud your judgment on this one.

there's nothing wrong with waiting for more information

mystes
May 31, 2006

This doesn't seem very good IMO. I'm not even sure if it's supposed to be targeting evangelicals, other Christians, or non-Christians? All I'm getting is "a lot of evangelicals really like Trump" which I already knew.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

You mean they should have defunded the whole military?

They could have given him considerably less than what he, the president they're currently impeaching, asked for, without defunding the whole military.

Dammerung posted:

I believe the defense offered for the bill's passage being a good thing was that we now have paid maternal leave for Federal workers from the funding bill and that it would have passed anyway. Silver linings and all that.

I mean that's nice and all, but they were already impeaching Trump. It was not a great look at the time, and it certainly isn't now.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Seph posted:

Guys it was incredibly obvious

Seph posted:

Don't let your biases cloud your judgment on this one.

I'd be a great juror because i can spot guilty people just like that *snaps fingers*

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

luxury handset posted:

there's nothing wrong with waiting for more information

Fair enough, I agree it's wise to hold off until more information is known. But absent any other information I would give "accidentally shot down during fog of war while on high alert" about 1000:1 odds vs a mechanical failure causing a midair explosion.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Seph posted:

Fair enough, I agree it's wise to hold off until more information is known. But absent any other information I would give "accidentally shot down during fog of war while on high alert" about 1000:1 odds vs a mechanical failure causing a midair explosion.

The Spanish American War was started by munitions in one of our warships spontaneously exploding, wait for the results of the investigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Catalyst-proof posted:

I'd be a great juror because i can spot guilty people just like that *snaps fingers*

If I was presented with "he's guilty unless this one in a million thing happened" I would probably find them guilty tbh