Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I always see a lot of people getting worked up and super anxious about 100% CPU usage, but is this necessarily a bad thing? I've had games do this, but they were also running at a smooth 60fps, so is this really an issue or something to be concerned with?

MHW is very cpu heavy and your FPS will absolutely suffer if you don't meet the demand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Obsidian should have made a spiritual successor to Alpha Protocol rather than their failed spiritual successor to Fallout NV, imo

Wouldn't we have just gotten a bad AP successor then?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Obsidian should’ve made a game of unknowable quality instead of a bad game, yes

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Songbearer posted:

Updated my journal

Angry Skull Noises

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MMF Freeway posted:

Wouldn't we have just gotten a bad AP successor then?

Probably but at least I wouldn't have had to wade through boring Bethesda-clone combat and scrounging for garbage while going through it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ambivalent posted:

Does anyone else here ever get a weird impulse like they need to do a certain thing in a certain game??

It's like feeling like you have to scratch your nose, but just insanely more specific?

I have this weird feeling that I need to open up the game Magestorm, an online, team-based arena shooter with magic spells and classes, that I'm pretty sure shut down when I was little girl.

I have this feeling that I need to pick the Arcanist class, get to level 4, so I can cast the Earth elemental projectile spell Sharp Edges, and I need to hit someone with it. Then I'll be fine. I don't need to play like 2 hours of it, or a whole bunch of matches. I just need to shoot someone with Sharp Edges spell.

It is crazy, it is so super specific. I haven't thought about this game in like years I didn't even play it a LOT, it was never like my FAVORITE game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvaTtByYMKg

Anyway, it's just really weird, and right now, I can't 'scratch my nose', because the game is defunct.

e: I know I don't post here a lot, but talking about this is closest thing I can get to scratching my nose here. brains are weird

e2: as an aside, the game did some cool stuff and there was a lot of variety of spells and i don't think there's any game that is remotely a successor to it, so that's a bummer!!

Whoa, how has this gone so quietly throughout the ages? Why hasn't someone else made a followup? We get approximately infinite loving call of modern destiny legends every year, more boring loving gun games than god can count... but I don't know of one modern magic based pvp fps game. Looks fun, looks cool, make more.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I said come in! posted:

I always see a lot of people getting worked up and super anxious about 100% CPU usage, but is this necessarily a bad thing? I've had games do this, but they were also running at a smooth 60fps, so is this really an issue or something to be concerned with?

You generally want games to be GPU bound rather than by the CPU because there’s more headroom with a graphics card, also a CPU working 100% is going to get hot very fast. Some games are just naturally harder on your processor though.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wow

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Today in YouTube Ads?!, we have this

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm... compelled? I guess the advert is doing its job?!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*reflexively clicks screenshot of Skip Ads button*

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh is Tripping the Rift back on TV

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Jay Rust posted:

Can't advertise to children anymore, gotta make advertisements as kid unfriendly and grotesque as possible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Can't advertise to children anymore, gotta make advertisements as kid unfriendly and grotesque as possible.

The Youtube situation is extremely weird and makes no sense. It is essentially, at this point, impossible to make any money at all directly through Youtube. There is zero incentive to allow ads on your videos. All money is made through tipping through Paypal, or Patreon subscriptions.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also dont hug me i'm scared got flagged as "videos for kids" so the algorithm is off to a great start

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Counting to youtube directly integrating patreon-like features into their website so they can get a cut of that

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Jay Rust posted:

When you had a little too much before the company's secret santa began

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

cheetah7071 posted:

Counting to youtube directly integrating patreon-like features into their website so they can get a cut of that

I've seen youtube channels that have a monthly patreon type thing through youtube.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

also dont hug me i'm scared got flagged as "videos for kids" so the algorithm is off to a great start

Lmao

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Youtube as well as Twitter need human moderation but they don't want to actually pay for it and meanwhile their lovely algorithms keep screwing people over on both platforms and also somehow letting Nazis run fukken hog wild

it's doubly bad w Youtube since people are trying to get an income from it and you can just have it randomly taken away via garbo algorithm and it takes months to appeal

Weedle
May 31, 2006

don't worry guys. our 2020 algorithm is the one that definitely works and doesn't show gore to children. probably

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I've seen youtube channels that have a monthly patreon type thing through youtube.

Youtube doesn't get a cut of that though, which is a good thing.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

I said come in! posted:

Youtube doesn't get a cut of that though, which is a good thing.

Genuinely shocked by this.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The Internet is worse than ever basically

burn down twitter, FB, every website

start over

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Genuinely shocked by this.

A lot of big Youtubers that make their living through the platform, have not been shy in saying in their videos to only support them through Patreon, and use Adblock. In comparison, Twitch splits everything 50/50 and larger streamers can negotiate with Twitch to get a bigger cut.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I imagine they aren't getting a cut in an attempt to build a base of YouTubers/Streamers using the platform. Then they'll start de-monetizing anyone who advertises Patreon or an equivalent crowd-funding platform, trapping those YTers into their crowd-funding/sub platform. Finally, they'll update ToS to take a cut.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When I was 10 the whole internet was cartoonnetwork.co.uk/miniclip/stickmen flash animations/yahoo pool maybe we should go back to that

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

When I was 10 the whole internet was cartoonnetwork.co.uk/miniclip/stickmen flash animations/yahoo pool maybe we should go back to that

prizegames dot com b1nch

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Awesome Animals posted:

I imagine they aren't getting a cut in an attempt to build a base of YouTubers/Streamers using the platform. Then they'll start de-monetizing anyone who advertises Patreon or an equivalent crowd-funding platform, trapping those YTers into their crowd-funding/sub platform. Finally, they'll update ToS to take a cut.

demonetization doesn't seem like such a big deal when youtube money is so poo poo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Someone help I can't get over the new Pokemon

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you can't fool me that's the big brain meme

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The 7th Guest posted:

As someone currently wearing a Don't hug me I'm scared t-shirt, I feel qualified to say that the time episode would be a very important learning experience for most children.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Electric Phantasm posted:

FREEEEEEMAAAAAAAAAAAAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTpmtG5UuRE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

:staredog:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wait i want to change my answer

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

hatty posted:

I like the Final Fantasy feathery hair. What’s the best video game hair?

Yagami’s scruffy mess in Judgment reacts in really fun ways to lighting changes. The Yakuza series in general does pretty good with hairstyles.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yak7 protagonist's hair seems next-level

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh is Tripping the Rift back on TV

goddamn that show was DIRE and the short that spawned it wasn't that great either

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

This is the kind of pokemon that has an extremely hosed up Pokedex entry, like it absorbs all the happy thoughts from the nearby children and uses it to power their attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Oh THIS is why MHW PC version opens up 400 threads and spends like 33% of your CPU just switching between them and sucks poo poo without modder fixes. It all makes sense now.

mhw port is the last vestige before the good capcom engine they use now, re2 remake has like the best graphics options screen ever made but mhw is a mess and wants 7 cores because its just doing what it does on console but worse. if you have 8 threads or more its fine, less and it breaks