Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:stare: Were they just incredibly inept or an actual hazard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Some probably just a bit too early and the combination of that and actually having to fight someone and land some sort of resemblance of a valid strike got to them.
It is a pressure situation, even at that level and you only get 2x1 minute fights to prove yourself. (sometimes only 2x45 seconds at the lower levels).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh you do actual bouts already by then, that would explain it. We didn't have to fence anyone in the 6th kyu exam and I quit pretty soon after that, so I never got graded on anything difficult. The club culture was good and challenging, though.

Speaking of gradings, I've got a yellow belt exam in trad karate coming up next week. If I don't gently caress it up through arrogance, this will be my fifth yellow or equivalent in a Japanese MA. I just hope I can keep at this longer than the previous four because I'm tired of quitting.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 6, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

Oh you do actual bouts already by then, that would explain it. We didn't have to fence anyone in the 6th kyu exam and I quit pretty soon after that.

Apart from a few countries (Australia, Germany, maybe a couple others?), first rank tested for is 1st kyu. Some clubs may do lower kyus internally, though.
As a rough rule, it only starts to become 'hard' at 3rd dan and at 4th dan, you'll see the pass rates drop below 50%.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ohhh, that's interesting. Here in Finland I think all major budo schools do federation-approved exams from 6th kyu or thereabouts onwards.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ahh, yeah Finland too.
I'm against it as I think it slows progress down. The step between each grade is too low, so people end up aiming for the next step instead of progressing more naturally.
I think it takes like 4 years to get to 1st kyu in those places, whereas most other places, you can probably go (and pass it) after 1.5-2 years...and those ikkyus are usually at the same level.
Sure the 'slow cooked' ones will have more experience and a bit more 'smart' in tournaments, but they're not really any better.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Siivola posted:

While Defenestrategy might be correct, that was also your first exam at the place. Not only has nobody in the world failed their first grading, you came in with experience from another martial art to begin with so you already knew how to tell your right foot from your left.

Oh yeah I definitely considered the fact that noob-belt is probably gonna be failure immune, but it was more the shape of the ranking as a whole with everyone and stuff. Some people were impressively exceptionally good, but there was never a sense that how well you had things down would be particularly relevant to whether you advanced or not, and I'm not just talking about the newbies there.

But there's a lot I don't understand and my post probably says more about me than it does about the actual school, really. I'm enjoying the school so far, I think its great. If the rankings end up not being a big deal, like, that doesn't say anything about my own personal progress so who cares.

I just have high standards for myself and I guess I sort of want those externally enforced? And it feels like the belt is undeserved because I didn't live up to my own standards. It feels like I did gently caress up pretty bad, what with me freezing for like 15 seconds in the middle of the form demo even though I thought I had down pat, and it would have been nice to, I don't know... either have failed, or to have been required to at least to do it a second time without loving up.

Or at least to not have had people immediately shouting out from the sidelines the part that comes next, since it feels like because of that I didn't even get to know I overcame the hump on my own. :/ That part I actually did really dislike, I wish some level of quietness would have been enforced, I appreciated all the help I got from folks learning things and working on my technique prior but it feels like for the actual demo I would have preferred to be doing it on my own.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh yeah I definitely considered the fact that noob-belt is probably gonna be failure immune, but it was more the shape of the ranking as a whole with everyone and stuff. Some people were impressively exceptionally good, but there was never a sense that how well you had things down would be particularly relevant to whether you advanced or not, and I'm not just talking about the newbies there.

Yeah, I super get this thing. For what it's worth, what helped me kind of wrap my brain around it was to try and not think about the rankings as any kind of test or evaluation, but just a display of what you've learned.

I'm similar in that I want a test. I want an evaluation, with constructive criticism if possible. I want to show that I've earned the ranking. This school isn't that though, and while I get it, it's still a thing that my brain gets caught on. I guess I just try to get to show it during classes? Or something.

quote:

But there's a lot I don't understand and my post probably says more about me than it does about the actual school, really. I'm enjoying the school so far, I think its great. If the rankings end up not being a big deal, like, that doesn't say anything about my own personal progress so who cares.

Yeah. I just try to stay focused on my progress, and help my friends with theirs if they ask, and trust the instructor to deal with everyone else.

quote:

It feels like I did gently caress up pretty bad, what with me freezing for like 15 seconds in the middle of the form demo even though I thought I had down pat, and it would have been nice to, I don't know... either have failed, or to have been required to at least to do it a second time without loving up.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen someone ask to be able to do it again when they completely blanked, and they got that chance. Maybe worth trying if it happens in the future?

quote:

Or at least to not have had people immediately shouting out from the sidelines the part that comes next, since it feels like because of that I didn't even get to know I overcame the hump on my own. :/

Yeah. There's that one guy who's really bad about that, and I've also had to reign in the Desire To Help because that's not what everyone wants or needs.

cognitios
Dec 21, 2019
I did judo for about four months a couple years ago and stopped after getting my yellow belt. I've started doing judo and bjj again but my stamina is absolutely terrible, an hour or two and I am winded. Whats a good supplemental way to increase my stamina while I'm not in class (about three times a week for one to three hours each session)?

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

See the thread title.

More seriously, low impact cardio is what you're looking for. Running, biking, whatever works for you.

cognitios
Dec 21, 2019
I figured running, should I just work on running a five k then improving my time from there? Or should I focus on improving my mile time?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Run intervals.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Since you're new to grappling you're not being efficient with your movements and you're going to gas yourself to death regardless of being a goony goon or a guy who DOES CROSSFIT at an elite level. More rolling time will improve your stamina far quicker than any other thing you can do, barring that lift weights or do Yoga. If you don't want to do either of that go run or play tennis or something it'll probably all be about even anyway.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Roll more primarily, then run, and if you have access to one, use a rowing machine. I was doing 4x 2 hour classes a week, but my cardio improved significantly faster doing a rowing machine once a week (3-4 10 minute sets), running twice a week (3-5 miles), and class 3x a week.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah a 5k training program will certainly do no harm to your grappling stamina.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Unless you're an unfit person who needs a better cardio base overall, steady state jogging is not productive for grappling cardio. I'd focus more on interval training and wrestling specific cardio drills.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
If the goal is to improve grappling performance then sure, interval type training is great. But if the goal is to make it through an hour of practice (not sparring) without having to stop because you're gassed, then steady state cardio sounds just fine.

I like 5k training because its simple, there's a million programs for all fitness levels. Its easy to run it as a series of intervals if you're a masochistic. From a grappling perspective, I find that being able to maintain threshold output for 20-30 minutes translates pretty well to multiple 5 minute sparring/competition rounds or drilling indefinitely.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Interval training will also improve your general endurance...and it'll greatly improve your recovery time which is typically what you need for MA.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Some sumo/o-line at the start, grappling later:

https://mobile.twitter.com/xshayts/status/1209441188794601472

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

That is a beautiful bit of lift

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

when i visualize my ideal future self, it's this

The way the double leg interacts with the riot shield is interesting. I hope there's video

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

when i visualize my ideal future self, it's this

The way the double leg interacts with the riot shield is interesting. I hope there's video
There is video from another angle. The guy hits the double but a second cop runs up right after.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2624865244301717

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hey martial arts thread!

It's been a few years but I'm starting up MMA again. I did it maybe 6 or 7 years ago and did really well, attended classes, and started ranking up slowly. However, I'm bipolar so sometimes I just crash and stop going. I'm in a constant state of depression 90% of the time so that's been really screwing up my motivation and the anxiety messes with my performance and all sorts of things. However, I think I might be ready again.

Last night I signed back up at Rothwell MMA. I'll be doing BJJ in a few hours. I've only done a few classes of BJJ in the past. I usually just do kickboxing but this time I want to start off slow. I got fatter since I was at the gym last and am sedentary all day every day so this should be less impact. The gym is owned and taught by Ben Rothwell who is a heavyweight UFC fighter for anyone who doesn't know. He's a really cool guy. I've partied with him a few times. He teaches the kickboxing classes sometimes but we have some other great teachers too. BJJ is taught by Thiago Veiga. He's awesome. He trained under Rickson Gracie and I think is an IBJJF world champion. His brother is Luiz Claudio and he stops in from time to time but he is mostly at another gym.

The training is great, it's a big family, there are no egos. Those guys get filtered out really quickly. I'm excited to go today but am still a little nervous. I don't remember anything from the handful of classes I took. I know everything will be fine though. My biggest fear is to get unmotivated and stop going, yet again. All I can do is just stop worrying, not care about what other people might think of me, and try to have fun. It really helped my broken brain in the past so there's no reason why it shouldn't help again this time.

I'm glad to be back in it and hope I do well.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cool, post a trip report after classes.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My biggest fear is to get unmotivated and stop going, yet again. All I can do is just stop worrying, not care about what other people might think of me, and try to have fun. It really helped my broken brain in the past so there's no reason why it shouldn't help again this time.

I'm glad to be back in it and hope I do well.

Just go and keep going, if you ever need motivation from someone, pop back into the thread anytime and we will all happily tell you to go practice murder.

More importantly, have fun.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

JaySB posted:

we will all happily tell you to go practice murder.

its not illegal if its just practice

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

DandyLion posted:

its not illegal if its just practice

"Officer, we slapped hands and bumped fists first."
"Oh, well then, you're free to go."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My biggest fear is to get unmotivated and stop going, yet again.

Make a few gym buddies. I stay pretty motivated to do things if I've got friends doing them too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

JaySB posted:

"Officer, we slapped hands and bumped fists first."
"Oh, well then, you're free to go."

I thought that's how "mutual combat" principles actually worked.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_combat

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Two 17th century dandies, honor besmirched, meet for a duel. They both go straight for ruff/culotte grips and do a double guard pull. The crowd audibly groans

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Just got back. It was just as I remember. Everyone was so nice, saw some familiar faces, and learned 3 more names. It felt really good being back there.

It was an "all levels" class so we just drilled one move and then rolled. I don't know how to describe it but you're in half guard and the person on the ground has their knee in your chest. The person on top reaches under their leg, grabs the belt, then pulls their legs out fast and keeps their head on their chest while going into side control. I kinda started to get it but it was slow and clunky.

At the end we rolled. I figured eh gently caress it might as well. I rolled twice with a purple belt who was just showing me how to pass and giving me some great pointers. The last roll was with a 3 stripe white belt and I didn't do very good but that's expected. That one was at full speed and wore me out pretty quickly. Hell the warm ups wore me out. That'll get better with time of course.

They have a beginner class that obviously works on the stuff I need to get started with. It's tonight but I think I'll take today as a win and hold back so I don't burn myself out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Two 17th century dandies, honor besmirched, meet for a duel. They both go straight for ruff/culotte grips and do a double guard pull. The crowd audibly groans

Someone a few rows back bellows: "just shed thy ichors"

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Someone a few rows back bellows: "just shed thy ichors"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My chest hurts pretty badly now. Almost hurts to breath. I guess that's what happens when you get a few people kneeling on your chest when you haven't gotten off of the couch in two years. :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone here know anything about THE DEFENCE LAB?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Anyone here know anything about THE DEFENCE LAB?

Yep, not great for much other than looking bad rear end in movie fight scenes.

IIRC: The dude who made DLab is the same dude who made Keysi, so he took keysi added some Silat and Eskrima stuff and called it a day.

edit: Source: When I had copious amounts of time in college and wanted to get fit, I went around collecting various martial arts and I learned a little bit of the DLab stuff from a Dan Inosanto affiliate down here which may or may not tell you the level of stuff you're dealing with.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 9, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

Yep, not great for much other than looking bad rear end in movie fight scenes.

IIRC: The dude who made DLab is the same dude who made Keysi, so he took keysi added some Silat and Eskrima stuff and called it a day.

edit: Source: When I had copious amounts of time in college and wanted to get fit, I went around collecting various martial arts and I learned a little bit of the DLab stuff from a Dan Inosanto affiliate down here which may or may not tell you the level of stuff you're dealing with.

Christ I don't know what any of that poo poo means but I hate it.

The context - our local paper just ran a big "Seminar teaches practical self-defence" article with two guys from THE DEFENCE LAB (come try it out for only $20!). The article takes the time to trash every other club in town as teaching "unrealistic" stuff (we have guys with 50+ pro MMA or MT fights teaching at ours). Our club coordinator is steamed because she has been running self defense seminars as fundraisers for women's shelters but the paper won't even acknowledge her.

I skimmed over what I could find about it and it just looks like a scammy MLM with lots of neon green t shirts.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I skimmed over what I could find about it and it just looks like a scammy MLM with lots of neon green t shirts.

I mean it's as much MLM as any other martial art affiliate kind of thing is right? If you're a Gracie Barra affiliate what do you get from them other than marketing assistance and a check you have to cut to Carlos?

but, yes it is bullshido although it is very flashy bullshido.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

I mean it's as much MLM as any other martial art affiliate kind of thing is right? If you're a Gracie Barra affiliate what do you get from them other than marketing assistance and a check you have to cut to Carlos?

but, yes it is bullshido although it is very flashy bullshido.

Fair enough, though that really just decreases my opinion of Gracie Barra rather than temper my dislike of DLab.