Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I never really noticed how odd the vintage Lady Borden mascot is:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

The sugar lobby was already spreading their propaganda in 1956:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
There's cynical ad-men distorting reality, and then there's poo poo like this where they're just making bar bets about what they can get away with.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

The sugar lobby was already spreading their propaganda in 1956:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

There's cynical ad-men distorting reality, and then there's poo poo like this where they're just making bar bets about what they can get away with.

Yeah, this is a scotch ad more than a coke ad.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I never really noticed how odd the vintage Lady Borden mascot is:

I thought you usually had to pay a LOT extra if you wanted a lady to do that for you.

Edit:

quote:

In 2020bux that's $10.40 for a 3-minute call from Dallas to Denver, or $18.91 for a call from CA to NY - nights and Sundays only. No wonder people used to act like making a long distance call was A Big Deal.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 4, 2020

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Gutter Phoenix posted:

It's interesting to me that some ads seem timeless, like this one:

Looks like it could have been from 7 years ago or 70 years ago.

I think that's from illustrator Mary Blair. She did a lot of work for Disney back in the 50s and 60s

Known Lecher posted:

In 2020bux that's $10.40 for a 3-minute call from Dallas to Denver, or $18.91 for a call from CA to NY - nights and Sundays only. No wonder people used to act like making a long distance call was A Big Deal.

Back in the 90s and even early 2000s, my wife, who's from Europe, used to have to pre-plan her twice monthly calls home so that she could "transmit" all the information she needed to in a five minute window because the per-minute rate on trans-atlantic phone calls was ridiculous. The advent of Skype and the growth of the world communications network was a radical change for people like her. It's hard to overstate. She went from that to paying $10 a month for the ability to call her mom every day for as long as she'd like from literally anywhere her mobile phone works (in our part of the country that's basically everywhere she's going to be on a day to day basis)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

from two consecutive issues of Disney Channel Magazine from 1984/85:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

She really captured how giant Jerry Mathers's head is

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This is absolutely the most normal thing in the world to buy and display in your house.

:stonk:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

What happens when you catch him?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I have tons of stuff to scan & post, but I am swamped at work, and also can't get to the scanner because my boss won't leave his desk. On top of that, SA keeps freezing and/ or crashing on my dumb laptop when I try to post.

Thanks to everyone above for picking up the slack! I'll post more when I can.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The giraffe’s face is avatar material. I love how it’s repeated in the upper left corner, looking down at the story as if it’s faced with the abyss of adoring a porcelain doll/toilet paper holder, forever.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I was able to scan a few new book covers related to the psychic sasquatch:

This is a book by the lady who painted all of those sasquatch portraits:

More soon...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Now that I know you're secretly scanning all this, it makes it like some deep tinfoil hat zine night-work stuff that the government is trying to suppress. Also a lot of the stuff you scan is literally conspiracy zines. Great work is what I'm trying to say.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

Now that I know you're secretly scanning all this, it makes it like some deep tinfoil hat zine night-work stuff that the government is trying to suppress. Also a lot of the stuff you scan is literally conspiracy zines. Great work is what I'm trying to say.

Yep, I feel a bit like Daniel Ellsberg scanning the Pentagon Papers, except that these texts are FAR more important to humanity...

The 3 volume Sasquatch Message to Humanity is especially insane. I wish my boss would leave so I can start scanning the interior pages!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

This dude gets it

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

This dude gets it

pretty sure that's a Dragonball character

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Scratch Monkey posted:

pretty sure that's a Dragonball character

I was thinking "Roy Orbison wrapped in so much clingfilm he ascended to a higher state of being"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1215425209110614016

More pics in the rest of the thread.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

This dude gets it

The Pascagoula alien?

I didn't think it was that well known (unlike the Flat Woods Monster, which shows up in tons of video games).

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Foreverial Tiedup Delitized Pascagoula Alien

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Unfrozen caveman mechanic

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Here are two shirts I happened to see for sale on Aliexpress this weekend:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I am assuming the hate for the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin referenced in the fold-in above is due to the fact they are/were almost the same size, weight, & color as quarters. I don't think Al Jafee had (or has) problems with the women's suffrage movement. At least I hope not!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I have a few things scanned, and a whole pile of great stuff that I need to scan, but work continues to steal away most of my free time.

Here is the first chapter of this goofy book:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I am assuming the hate for the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin referenced in the fold-in above is due to the fact they are/were almost the same size, weight, & color as quarters. I don't think Al Jafee had (or has) problems with the women's suffrage movement. At least I hope not!

For sure. One time in high school I hit up the change machine to get change for a dollar, and it just spit out what I thought was a single quarter. I waited a minute before examining the coin and discovering it was a drat Susan B. Anthony dollar.

I didn't exactly want to exchange a dollar for a different form of dollar either as the vending machine needed exact change, so I was kinda miffed about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

For sure. One time in high school I hit up the change machine to get change for a dollar, and it just spit out what I thought was a single quarter. I waited a minute before examining the coin and discovering it was a drat Susan B. Anthony dollar.

I didn't exactly want to exchange a dollar for a different form of dollar either as the vending machine needed exact change, so I was kinda miffed about that.

On the other hand, I remember being a kid and occasionally getting one as change from a clerk who'd confused it for a quarter, and feeling like I'd somehow pulled one over on the shopkeep. That was nice, but probably only ever happened to me three or four times at the very most.

EDIT:
My family was only able to remain middle class by being extremely frugal when I was growing up, so as a kid I bought most everything I owned with change I scrounged, or from recycling cans. I am sure clerks hated me.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 13, 2020