Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

BadMedic posted:

Ok, room scale games are cool and good, but it can get pretty tiring running around waving your arms.
Can I get some seated w/ controller game recommendations?

Please work out.

Anyway, House of the Dying Sun is a solid space combat game, and Tetris Effect is like what I imagine doing drugs feels like. Both are designed around gamepads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Man if you think $3000 on a hobby is expensive maybe you should wander into the photography, travel, mountain bike, aviation, watches, classic car threads.

A good mountain bike these days will set you back way north of $4000. The floor for getting into serious flight simming is $3000 and generally requires hours of custom fabbing. This is just off the shelf stuff you can buy at Walmart or at least order it from their website.

I wouldn't consider most of these things to be very mainstream, though. PC gaming is less of a niche than it used to be, but these dollar amounts are still a huge deal for most people

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BadMedic posted:

Ok, room scale games are cool and good, but it can get pretty tiring running around waving your arms.
Can I get some seated w/ controller game recommendations?

I've got Thumper and Overload which are both great. I also tried out Wipeout on my friends PSVR which was really fun.

War thunder
Elite Dangerous
Project Cars 2
Dirt Rally 2

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Here in hellworld where economic precarity is the norm for anyone outside of the capital-controlling class, I think this thread should be welcoming to the well-heeled enthusiast building the next best thing to the holodeck, and also understand that for some people a second-hand CV1 and a several year old mid-range gaming rig is what they can afford and what lets them escape however briefly from the cruel trevail of selling their labor under capitalism and those people who have to pay attention to budget consideration are valid hobbyists, too.

I have a number of hobbies with a pricier upper range, and I try not to be lovely to the guy at the range a few lanes down from me trying to unfuck his $300 DPMS that just failed to eject, or the guy who shows up at FNM with the best Standard Deck he could make adding some draft rares to his planeswalker deck, or the guy who can't afford to get three of every new release for my star wars war dolly game.

Namaste.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 9, 2020

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Imagine four lighthouses on the edge of a cliff

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Infinite Karma posted:

It's more that 1 lighthouse gives adequate tracking for 90% of people

No. This isn’t anywhere remotely close to being true. Please don’t post things like this.

The big reason >2 lighthouses is better is the same reason that >2 OG rift. Occlusions creating single sensor tracking downgrades which is very poor.
It was true of OG Rift (rip), it was true of LH1 (which was fatally flawed because you couldn’t get >2), it’s also true of LH2.

Much like everyone saying 3 oculus sensors is highly recommended because it mitigates this problem tremendously, it’s also recommended for LH2.

Regarding the average VR user comments, I think your assessment of what that person looks like is a bit skewed. According to the numbers the average VR user is playing Beat Saber, the #1 game most likely to expose the weaknesses in your tracking setup.

It sucks they are still $159 though.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

I wouldn't consider most of these things to be very mainstream, though. PC gaming is less of a niche than it used to be, but these dollar amounts are still a huge deal for most people

The amount of interchangeable lens cameras sold per month is well over a million. So maybe it’s niche but it’s a hell of a lot less niche than VR.
(Being technically correct is the best kind of correct)

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Thanks for the recommendations, and yes I am going to the gym and playing plenty of beat saber. Sometimes though you just want to relax.

Lemming posted:

Chronos is a dark souls like (like melee combat, dodging, low health with chugging a limited amount of health potions, checkpoints where you can teleport around) that is awesome and incredibly atmospheric. Remnant: From the Ashes is a direct sequel, if you've heard of that. Chronos's intro area is still one of my all time favorite VR experiences, the point where you get control of your character up until where you face the first enemy.

These are on the Oculus store, and I have an Index. I know that Revive exists, but how does it work in practice?

Also Distance looks really nice, I like the more arcadey racers.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Used sidequest to run Pavlov and man that is a fun game. Once it goes live on the Quest's app store I can imagine it staying pretty populated for a while. If you haven't tried it I recommend it. Sidequest was easy enough to set up and Pavlov was easy enough to install.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BadMedic posted:

These are on the Oculus store, and I have an Index. I know that Revive exists, but how does it work in practice?

Also Distance looks really nice, I like the more arcadey racers.

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/blob/master/README.md

It's pretty easy, once you have the games installed on the Oculus store, you should be able to just launch it through the revive dashboard which has a tab in the SteamVR menu in your headset and it should automatically open a window on your desktop. Chronos is listed as a working compatible game, but you should try installing something free first before you spend any money (I recommend EchoVR)

It should be pretty straightforward, you might want to mess around with the bindings depending on the game but it should feel pretty native.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Speaking of ReVive, anyone else had a stuttering issue in Lone Echo and Echo Arena?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a way to use vr controllers for normal controller games yet? Touch controllers have enough buttons for that and it would be more convinient than trying to plug in a normal controller with the headset on.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Owlbear Camus posted:

a second-hand CV1 and a several year old mid-range gaming rig

It's a good VR experience.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Owlbear Camus posted:

a second-hand CV1 and a several year old mid-range gaming rig

Help i'm being doxxed.

I work in a place that lets me gently caress about with all current (and some historical) VR setups and while I can tell the difference, not having a lighthouse hasn't killed my home use, at least.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a way to use vr controllers for normal controller games yet? Touch controllers have enough buttons for that and it would be more convinient than trying to plug in a normal controller with the headset on.

IIRC they use a wireless protocol mediated by the headset so you’d need to figure out a way to power the headset on but ignore rendering to it. Doesn’t seem practical.

Especially since their position is tracked by the headset - even if you don’t use positional tracking the lowest latency path would be through the headset.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

IIRC they use a wireless protocol mediated by the headset so you’d need to figure out a way to power the headset on but ignore rendering to it. Doesn’t seem practical.

Especially since their position is tracked by the headset - even if you don’t use positional tracking the lowest latency path would be through the headset.

I think they're referring to VR games that use standard controllers. There are a few seated game cases like this that require the use of an untracked controller.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m honestly surprised there isn’t a way for the Rift to represent the touch controllers as a single Xbone controller considering it has all the right buttons and the early ones even shipped with actual Xbone controllers

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DisposableHero posted:

I think they're referring to VR games that use standard controllers. There are a few seated game cases like this that require the use of an untracked controller.

Yeah, and I think steamVR may let you map controls?

But I just use a ps4 controller

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

DisposableHero posted:

Yeah and I’m saying that they (in the case of Oculus) depend on a headset because the headset is either wired to the PC, or doing the tracking, or both. Even if tracking were not useful the headset would need to be turned on.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The VR thread, where you look like an idiot while using your headset and when you post about it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Yeah and I’m saying that they (in the case of Oculus) depend on a headset because the headset is either wired to the PC, or doing the tracking, or both. Even if tracking were not useful the headset would need to be turned on.

They're talking about VR games that use a gamepad, not using VR controllers as a substitite for a gamepad for regular games.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

rage-saq posted:

No. This isn’t anywhere remotely close to being true. Please don’t post things like this.

The big reason >2 lighthouses is better is the same reason that >2 OG rift. Occlusions creating single sensor tracking downgrades which is very poor.
It was true of OG Rift (rip), it was true of LH1 (which was fatally flawed because you couldn’t get >2), it’s also true of LH2.

Much like everyone saying 3 oculus sensors is highly recommended because it mitigates this problem tremendously, it’s also recommended for LH2.

Regarding the average VR user comments, I think your assessment of what that person looks like is a bit skewed. According to the numbers the average VR user is playing Beat Saber, the #1 game most likely to expose the weaknesses in your tracking setup.

It sucks they are still $159 though.

My two lh2 setup demolishes my 3 or 4 sensor cv1 setup. Lighthouse kicks constellations rear end very hard

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Thoatse posted:

My two lh2 setup demolishes my 3 or 4 sensor cv1 setup. Lighthouse kicks constellations rear end very hard

It’s not quite that simple.
My 4 sensor Rift CV1 setup was more precise for shooters to where LH2 is only recently competitive due to some mostly solved bugs I reported.
As far as max speed it’s difficult to say definitively because of the battery bug putting a low top speed on CV1 and Quest/S controllers but LH2 handily wins there.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Moss is a cool cute seated game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wyoak posted:

I hope they actually make Book 2 :allears:.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

DisposableHero posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're talking about VR games that use a gamepad, not using VR controllers as a substitite for a gamepad for regular games.

Jack Trades posted:

Ohhhhhh. Those are routed through different APIs so if a game was built against a gamepad API then they’d need to be updated to support VR controllers. I suppose it might be possible to emulate a Xbox style gamepad, but I think that would likely require more work than just supporting the VR controller, as Xbox controllers would go through the OS’s input driver, not the headset’s.

And I doubt any VR games nowadays would skip VR controller support in favor of gamepads so it’d be complexity (and therefore bugs) that would only really help legacy PCVR games play in untested, though similar, configurations more conveniently.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I hope they actually make Book 2 :allears:.
Likely IMO. I believe they hired on one of their friends who worked at Oculus, hard to imagine they’d be able to do that unless they were doing well for themselves.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Anyone know how shipping works on Amazon?

I noticed that 90% of the time Amazon shows the Rift S as 'Only available from third party sellers', but sometimes it was available from Amazon with a ship date in February. Then later, it would vanish again, and 'Only be available from third party sellers'.

Is this some weird thing where they are sometimes getting small amounts of stock in and and just push the date out for when they expect lots to come in?

I ordered during one of the windows it was available, any sense from anyone if it's likely to show up in mid-February or if it could come earlier?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Got my index in today and beat super hot vr. Had a lot of fun
Though I Did have a few issues. Updating the base stations was like pulling teeth and Apparently my head is very large so putting it on and taking it off is difficult especially with glasses. (If it we're any bigger I would've had to return it, I think there's only a couple millimeter difference between it being tightened on my head and it being at full slack) Finally while it was comfortable enough to play for a couple hours I think the psvr has it beat for comfort.

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 11, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

wyoak posted:

I found that Moss actually worked a lot better when I treated like a room-scale game and walked around the little dioramas, finding secrets hidden behind corners. The game tells you not to do that, but it's way more fun.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fintilgin posted:

Anyone know how shipping works on Amazon?

I noticed that 90% of the time Amazon shows the Rift S as 'Only available from third party sellers', but sometimes it was available from Amazon with a ship date in February. Then later, it would vanish again, and 'Only be available from third party sellers'.

Is this some weird thing where they are sometimes getting small amounts of stock in and and just push the date out for when they expect lots to come in?

I ordered during one of the windows it was available, any sense from anyone if it's likely to show up in mid-February or if it could come earlier?

Interesting.

When I placed the order it was expected to ship around February 21st.

Overnight arrival date has changed from January 12 (tommorow!) - February 6th.

So something potentially good is happening there if anyone else is looking for sold out Rifts.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder why there are still VR videos being done where the scale is all wrong. I guess it's harder to do well than I'm thinking of.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder why there are still VR videos being done where the scale is all wrong. I guess it's harder to do well than I'm thinking of.

It requires some fiddling that a lot of people probably don't bother looking up and doing, so they just capture the desktop window, which often looks fucky.

I use an OBS plugin dealie that captures straight from the headset, with it cropped in a little ways since the extreme periphery of my vision generally isn't worth seeing.

I'm sure the regular streamers in the thread have great tips for it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah that is the best way to do that? I’ve been wanting to capture my iracing races

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shine posted:

It requires some fiddling that a lot of people probably don't bother looking up and doing, so they just capture the desktop window, which often looks fucky.

I use an OBS plugin dealie that captures straight from the headset, with it cropped in a little ways since the extreme periphery of my vision generally isn't worth seeing.

I'm sure the regular streamers in the thread have great tips for it.

I was talking more a 360º camera-recorded professional videos from one of the video apps, like NextVR. I was watching a video and the people in front of me looked like... being 80 cms tall.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Turin Turambar posted:

I was talking more a 360º camera-recorded professional videos from one of the video apps, like NextVR. I was watching a video and the people in front of me looked like... being 80 cms tall.

I think those cameras generally are a series of wide angle cameras stitched together and really only work at a certain range from subject. Too close and the wide angle becomes super apparent. Mid range things can look kind of squashed and small.

Things like the vertical position of the camera head probably play a major part too - the video is as tall as the camera head and not everyone is the same height - making them feel weird.

I've never been a real fan of 360 video. It's a cool novelty at first, but the lack of 6dof just feels wierd, and content creation ends up being really long form and boring given it is really hard to make engaging stuff given you can't easily direct focus or cut scenes together...

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah that is the best way to do that? I’ve been wanting to capture my iracing races

I’m looking for some info on this as well, I wanted to record some No Mans Sky footage and wasn’t able to find a way to change it from the binocular vision it shows on my second monitor.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anyone have some experience with the various paint and modeling programs in VR? I'm curious on how that works out. Anyone use a sculpting program and made something they printed off a 3d printer?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Leal posted:

Anyone have some experience with the various paint and modeling programs in VR? I'm curious on how that works out. Anyone use a sculpting program and made something they printed off a 3d printer?

Oculus Medium...well, Allegorithmic/Adobe Medium now I guess, is rather good, to the point that Adobe acquired the team so they could expand its development. It’s used in professional authoring and I know people have 3D printed their sculpts from it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Penpal posted:

I’m looking for some info on this as well, I wanted to record some No Mans Sky footage and wasn’t able to find a way to change it from the binocular vision it shows on my second monitor.

With the disclaimer that I'm not a regular streamer and thus my advice is more a "thing I slapped together works" and not "I'm an expert; do this thing":

The OBS plugin is called OpenVR Capture. It shows a feed directly from the headset and pops it into OBS. You can crop is as much or as little as you'd like, depending on how much peripheral vision you care to capture. I tend to crop out quite a bit of the screen, as if I capture every edge of my vision in a flight simulator, that means that the part of the screen that is most interesting to see (the center of my vision, especially when lining up a shot) will be super tiny in the video. You can use a prefab crop settings, or customize your own.

SteamVR also has a built-in mirror view mode, but when I first used it, ages ago, it made things much choppier than the OBS plugin. Dunno if it has improved at all.

If you're playing on Oculus, there's a built-in tool you can use, Oculus Mirror, which you can edit with command line arguments to be a particular size, focus on a particular eye, hide or show the Guardian boundaries, etc. You can find recommending streamer settings via googling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Penpal posted:

Recording environments in binocular 360 is harder than it seems. You aren’t just swiveling a camera in a circle but rather rotating two cameras at a distance from the head coordinates. If you’ve ever used a super ultrawide monitor, the distortion at the edges becomes very apparent. Also, encoding isn’t necessarily simple as recording the ground or sky is more redundant the closer it is to the bottom/top and you don’t want to spend as many bits there as you do at eye level. No clue how shaders would affect this either.

I think there was a company that was working on enabling technology for streaming VR environments, but they closed down. VReal, I think.

I suspect you’d need the game itself to support rendering a panorama or cubemap and you’d have to make do with a subpar output relative to what you experience; anything short of replaying the scene graph probably won’t get you a great result.