Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

eddiewalker posted:

Buy more iCloud? It’s worth $12 a year not to worry about backups.
I'm already on the $2.99/month plan and I'm over 200gb. Next tier is $10/month.

Weedle posted:

The local backup process is the same except you access the phone through Finder instead of iTunes.
Ahh that's nice, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Probably not. I don't even know if you can export the Keychain data to something like a CSV for import.

Exporting all your account information to a CSV :stonk:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ddogflex posted:

Lastpass had one security problem once that didn't affect the vast majority of users and this was years ago, and something similar isn't even possible now. They aren't going to give away your banking information, but if you want to pay for a service, or roll your own, feel free. I'm lazy tho.

that's explicitly untrue and incredibly easy to verify: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LastPass#Security_issues

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My wife has 200 gb of storage. I am the account owner for our family plan and would need to upgrade to the 200 gb plan to share with her. If I switch to that plan and enable it for her, will it backup her stuff? At which point, she cancel her plan?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Exporting all your account information to a CSV :stonk:

I mean every popular password manager supports CSV import of some kind. I’d guess you’re making a comment on how insecure that is but if your handling of a plaintext file is insecure that’s your own drat fault.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Alec Eiffel posted:

My wife has 200 gb of storage. I am the account owner for our family plan and would need to upgrade to the 200 gb plan to share with her. If I switch to that plan and enable it for her, will it backup her stuff? At which point, she cancel her plan?

It moves everything over. We had individual plans, switched to a family plan, then switched back to individual plans. The data followed the user.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I switched to an iPhone a few days ago after 8 years of Android and I quite like this 11 Pro. I genuinely don't understand why people say it's easier to use than Android but perhaps that's just years of getting used to something else. I find myself using more Google apps on this than the Apple apps (Google Maps because Yelp reviews are even more poo poo in Canada) but it's nice to see how much more polished social media apps like Instagram are vs on Android.

This is a hell of an adjustment but god drat the 11 Pro in Midnight Green is pretty with a sleek case (Caseology Skyfall in Midnight Green) I am in love with the design. It was also so nice to have a tempered glass screen protector that wasn't a complete nightmare to install - curved screens look and feel great but seeing how easily this thing scratches it was a no brainer.

I'll still never buy AirPods because I think they look ridiculous but here I am looking at Apple Watches now. god help me.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 9, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Nairbo posted:

I switched to an iPhone a few days ago after 8 years of Android and I quite like this 11 Pro. I genuinely don't understand why people say it's easier to use than Android but perhaps that's just years of getting used to something else. I find myself using more Google apps on this than the Apple apps (Google Maps because Yelp reviews are even more poo poo in Canada) but it's nice to see how much more polished social media apps like Instagram are vs on Android.

This is a hell of an adjustment but god drat the 11 Pro in Midnight Green is pretty with a sleek case (Caseology Skyfall in Midnight Green) I am in love with the design. It was also so nice to have a tempered glass screen protector that wasn't a complete nightmare to install - curved screens look and feel great but seeing how easily this thing scratches it was a no brainer.

I'll still never buy AirPods because I think they look ridiculous but here I am looking at Apple Watches now. god help me.

Good move not using Apple Maps. The single advantage it has over GMaps or others is Siri integration -- that's it. Otherwise it's worthless. Yes it's gotten better since launch blah blah it's still garbage. I don't think you need a screen protector at all but the debate is endless.

Enjoy your 11 Pro!

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 10, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Inner Light posted:

The single advantage it has over GMaps or others is Siri integration

Genuine Q - does Google Maps have speed limit display, and lane indicators? I think those were Apple Maps only at one point.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Inner Light posted:

Good move not using Apple Maps. The single advantage it has over GMaps or others is Siri integration -- that's it. Otherwise it's worthless. Yes it's gotten better since launch blah blah it's still garbage. I don't think you need a screen protector at all but the debate is endless.

Enjoy your 11 Pro!

Apple Maps is great and I enjoy not giving my location data to an advertising company.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Apple Maps is great and I enjoy not giving my location data to an advertising company.

I was surprised to see that DuckDuckGo's website uses Apple Maps these days.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

astral posted:

I was surprised to see that DuckDuckGo's website uses Apple Maps these days.

Yeah and as far as I know it's the only way you can get access to Apple Maps on a desktop PC.

The other workaround is you pull up a retail store listing on the Apple website and fullscreen the map on that page.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do they have street view yet? I saw the car driving around my neighborhood a couple months ago, but haven't figured out how to view it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nowadays the only good thing about Google Maps is street view, and that’s getting worse. I don’t see a reason to use it over Apple Maps. Google Earth is still good, though.

edit: I’m in the US. Maybe it’s different in other countries.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Apple Maps guided me around Sweden via public transit without any problems during my visit a few weeks ago.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
There really isn't a Waze replacement is there? I don't really care about anything but the crowd source reporting which works well, otherwise I would use Apple Maps.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Google maps is such a dogshit of an app now. The UX is terrible and is trying to be a shittier yelp.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Apple Maps recently left me in the middle of a weird industrial zone miles away from my actual destination and it felt like a cool blast from the past

I guess I'll forever keep both on my phone

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Genuine Q - does Google Maps have speed limit display, and lane indicators? I think those were Apple Maps only at one point.

gmaps has that

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Inner Light posted:

Enjoy your 11 Pro!

It also launches when I hit the navigation button in my car when CarPlay is connected (no way of changing that at the moment).

Apple Maps looks a lot better in CarPlay but it still can't choose a sensible route in New Zealand whereas Google Maps is usually spot on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Google maps is such a dogshit of an app now. The UX is terrible and is trying to be a shittier yelp.
gently caress those "explore" icons that are always there every time you bring up the app up. Constantly mistakenly tapping them.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I tried using Apple Maps plenty but using Yelp for reviews kind of kills it from being morally superior to Google as an advertisement company. Not to mention that Google reviews, at least in Canada, are 10-15x as popular as Yelp for almost every business I look at.

That being said the Twitter app on iOS is great and I actually like it way more than TweetBot from a UI perspective. Still haven’t found anything as good as Flamingo on Android but that app ran out of tokens a while ago anyway

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'm an admittedly very lightweight Twitter user but I really can't see any difference between the official Twitter app on iOS and Android. Am I missing something?

breaks
May 12, 2001

Not a fan of Google Maps but it's still on my phone because Apple's is just years behind for what I use it for, with the lack of streetview, shittier directions, lack of cycling directions entirely, etc.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't usually use google maps but I used it for some reason in Phoenix I was using it (I think some store's website directed me to it when I was trying to find it) and I recall at least some lane information, but maybe I'm dreaming that.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Apple maps doesn’t have cycling directions and doesn’t understand what I’m searching for half the time.

I also find it displays London’s tube stations in a really unintuitive way.

I know it will never happen but I wish you could switch the default maps app. If I add an address to a contact it’s useless right now because it won’t tell me how to cycle there - I live in Copenhagen you arseholes, not California. How do you think I’m gonna get around?

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 10, 2020

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Sri.Theo posted:

Apple maps doesn’t have cycling directions and doesn’t understand what I’m searching for half the time.

I also find it displays London’s tube stations in a really unintuitive way.

I know it will never happen but I wish you could switch the default maps app. If I add an address to a contact it’s useless right now because it won’t tell me how to cycle there - I live in Copenhagen you arseholes, not California. How do you think I’m gonna get around?

Yeah, it's hilariously useless. It doesn't even have public transit in my city and as you said it still doesn't know what a bicycle is. Good to know I need to leave right now if I want to walk to my meeting in three hours though, thank you iOS. I love the integration of Apple default apps, but that makes it all the more annoying when one of them is this bad.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
What is it with iOS 13 and forgetting about third party audio apps existing for when hitting "Play" on an external device? I know things usually drop out of memory the second you stop paying attention, but I just had it where I paused a podcast in Overcast as the active on-screen app, then about a minute later hit Play on my headphones (with Overcast still on the screen) and my last played song from Music came on instead.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Question Mark Mound posted:

What is it with iOS 13 and forgetting about third party audio apps existing for when hitting "Play" on an external device? I know things usually drop out of memory the second you stop paying attention, but I just had it where I paused a podcast in Overcast as the active on-screen app, then about a minute later hit Play on my headphones (with Overcast still on the screen) and my last played song from Music came on instead.

Stupid little poo poo like scrolling past a video on twitter will steal the spot as the active media player, and once you move on, it will default back to music. Unfortunately, there are a bunch of little things that can do this, but I guess I'm used to it now.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I get the same behavior, even if I just pause and shove my phone in my pocket for twenty minutes without even using. It definitely started with iOS 13.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Previously, I could plug my iPhone X into my car USB port and I would be able to play music (Amazon music) without any issue. I could also use my car steering wheel controls to control the music.

On IOS 13, it automatically started just playing my one Apple Music song any time I plugged in my phone to my car USB (if I delete that one song, it will not longer recognize any music files on my phone and will not play anything). Also, anytime the music loads, it automatically reverts back to playing that one Apple Music song. My steering wheel controls no longer work too.

It is pretty weird.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nairbo posted:

The irony is Apple Maps integration with your soon to be owned Apple Watch is pretty good. The vibration alert when your next turn is coming up is the only reason I use it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Previously, I could plug my iPhone X into my car USB port and I would be able to play music (Amazon music) without any issue. I could also use my car steering wheel controls to control the music.

On IOS 13, it automatically started just playing my one Apple Music song any time I plugged in my phone to my car USB (if I delete that one song, it will not longer recognize any music files on my phone and will not play anything). Also, anytime the music loads, it automatically reverts back to playing that one Apple Music song. My steering wheel controls no longer work too.

It is pretty weird.

Does your car have an “iPod” option for your input? That tends to work best when you plug it in.

Does the same problem occur if it’s only connected through Bluetooth?

Also, the Apple Music thing is not new to iOS 13. Mine has always done it, but when I start Spotify it stops Apple Music.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The irony is Apple Maps integration with your soon to be owned Apple Watch is pretty good. The vibration alert when your next turn is coming up is the only reason I use it.

Still doesn’t help if Apple Maps can’t even reliably find train stations if you don’t happen to live in California. I would love to use it, but it’s just way too unreliable in many places.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Apple Maps has been getting better but on New Years, going to a bonfire, we had it send us to tiny historical site with similar name to much larger more popular park despite giving it the park’s name. So I’m back to mistrusting it.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I think I wrote it here before but Apple Maps actually knew some relatively new streets when Google didn’t know them yet. It’s also usually a bit more precise when you look for street addresses. Google has been off a couple times now. 50 meters here 100 meters there or wrong side of the street.

That’s why I usually use Apple Maps for navigation. Where Google shines is in the sheer amount of data. There’s lots of businesses that you can see on google maps but are nowhere to be found on Apple Maps. Satellite images are also better most of the time. Also Yelp sucks. If it would at least redirect me to the yelp site but no it always redirects to the App Store. I don’t want to install that loving app thank you very much.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bronin posted:

I think I wrote it here before but Apple Maps actually knew some relatively new streets when Google didn’t know them yet. It’s also usually a bit more precise when you look for street addresses. Google has been off a couple times now. 50 meters here 100 meters there or wrong side of the street.

That’s why I usually use Apple Maps for navigation. Where Google shines is in the sheer amount of data. There’s lots of businesses that you can see on google maps but are nowhere to be found on Apple Maps. Satellite images are also better most of the time. Also Yelp sucks. If it would at least redirect me to the yelp site but no it always redirects to the App Store. I don’t want to install that loving app thank you very much.

That's been my experience as well. If I have an actual street address, Apple Maps is my go to. If I'm looking for the nearest location of $Business_Name, Google seems to do a better job.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a gesture or something to quickly switch AirPods from the iPhone/iPad? Something other than going into the control panel?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a gesture or something to quickly switch AirPods from the iPhone/iPad? Something other than going into the control panel?

Couple ways:

On the device that you want to switch TO
1. Swipe down control center and long press the Bluetooth icon, select Airpods
2. Swipe down the music miniplayer and hit the airplay icon and select Airpods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Last 5 days or so my Apple Watch Series 5 that I got for Christmas has been absolutely terrible with battery. The first week or two I would put it on at night and it would have 50% left like my old one, but now it's showing 10% remaining at like 6pm and one day it was at 10 by 1pm.

Anyone else run into this? I had the exact same settings as on my series 2, and I turned off background app refresh on just about everything.