Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Captain von Trapp posted:

Side note for this page in general: in a forum like this where there are some people in the know, we should all be a good sport and try not to elicit stuff that shouldn't be elicited.
I think that there's a good chunk of posters that "don't know what they don't know" with regards to stuff that is public domain versus stuff that's still classified and sometimes that line can be an easily stepped over one so I dunno I guess you can ask people that don't know to not ask the classified questions but if it were to be enforced in any way it would basically kill any non-ancient history question asking.

Much better to put the onus on the posters that do have classified info knowledge to know when to keep their mouths shut.

But that's just like my opinion man.

Gonna do a photo dump of some airpower I've seen over the past few years in the new thread. (no actual good pictures but hey)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

brains posted:

if only there was strapped-down avenger in the background, i could have had a bingo :sigh:

Does this actually work at all?
Could you park something bigger out there?
Do they tie into the ship's radar/FC?

I gather there's an awful lot going on in air defense.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

tangy yet delightful posted:

I think that there's a good chunk of posters that "don't know what they don't know" with regards to stuff that is public domain versus stuff that's still classified and sometimes that line can be an easily stepped over one so I dunno I guess you can ask people that don't know to not ask the classified questions but if it were to be enforced in any way it would basically kill any non-ancient history question asking.

Much better to put the onus on the posters that do have classified info knowledge to know when to keep their mouths shut.

Gonna do a photo dump of some airpower I've seen over the past few years in the new thread. (no actual good pictures but hey)

Yep. I fully agree.

If you have classified info, you know you do. loving basic OPSEC.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
pretty sure none of the cleared posters in this thread are ever going to discuss anything classified on the Something Awful Forums, even if asked politely

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

No, I agree. It's really a reminder for those who might actually happen to know for real. Cunningham's Law is a a real technique that works really well.

E: as in, the onus is on those who know, but as mentioned below, they are imperfect human beings.

Captain von Trapp fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 10, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bewbies posted:

pretty sure none of the cleared posters in this thread are ever going to discuss anything classified on the Something Awful Forums, even if asked politely

It’s happened before. GiP iirc.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

bewbies posted:

You have a higher opinion of humanity than I do.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bewbies posted:

it’s literally happened before and people have to be reminded constantly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bewbies posted:

What if I really wanted to know about airborne detection of nuclear blasts.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hobbesmaster posted:

sounds like a bhanging good time

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

hobbesmaster posted:

Look up and count to 10. If you make it to 10, there was not a nuclear blast. Easy peasy.

brains
May 12, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

just wait for the president to hold a press conference from the oval with [TS/SCI intel-gathering apparatus] printed out in 1st-grader size font behind him

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

:nsa:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bewbies posted:

I get around this by having the memory of a narcoleptic goldfish and never having a need to know.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

simplefish posted:

Could you park something bigger out there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2EIILd5Cp8

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I get around this by having the memory of a narcoleptic goldfish and never having a need to know.

What.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Were we just talking about.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

madeintaipei posted:

Were we just talking about.

About what?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Egg-sacktly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

LingcodKilla posted:

I worked for a defense contractor and had some clearances but I’ve forgotten everything and it is all woefully obsolete by now anyway.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

hobbesmaster posted:

Funnily, most of this is public on purpose for treaty reasons. Not that nukes are super subtle.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Steeltalon posted:

It's almost inevitable that this incident is going to be Iran anti air defense accidently targeting a civilian aircraft thinking it could be a US counter attack.

That's my take on it, and exactly what I figured happened given the location and timing. Poorly trained and HIGHLY MOTIVATED air defense troops on high alert looking for poo poo to shoot down.

Arglebargle III posted:

Shilkas are notorious for shaking themselves to pieces even when parked. I doubt firing on the move would help.

Everything I've read suggests they trained the crews to stop before firing and this is reflected in live fire exercises. They have stabilizers, but we're talking 50's/60's tech here and (at least on the original models) pretty primitive fire control.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bewbies posted:

:sigh:

And I've msg'd them about Aurora and Brilliant Buzzard/SR-75/XB-70 motherships so many times

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Captain von Trapp posted:

No, I agree. It's really a reminder for those who might actually happen to know for real. Cunningham's Law is a a real technique that works really well.

E: as in, the onus is on those who know, but as mentioned below, they are imperfect human beings.

Fair point.

It's a good thing aliens don't exist I guess :v:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Fair point.

It's a good thing aliens don't exist I guess :v:

Edit: never mind. Forget you read that.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There are plenty of stories of Shilkas dismounting the fire control consoles and ammo feed systems just from vibrations on firing. As well as stories of crew and bystanders trying to stay out of the way when the cannons overheat and run away.

TORs look so cool on firing. Any missile system that uses solid rocket motors to turn is pretty cool.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ice Fist posted:

Imagine, right now, in a server deep within Langley, is a database that contains the fact I had Noodles and Co today for lunch because a satellite spotted me leaving there on my way back to work.

I'm of course joking. I paid by credit card, so the government knows what I eat basically every day without needing a satellite.

Edit: gently caress, just beaten.

They brought back the peanut sauté a little bit ago!

:woop:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Schadenboner posted:

They brought back the peanut sauté a little bit ago!

:woop:

We JUST went over not posting sensitive information.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s happened before. GiP iirc.

Yeah I remember seeing a couple posts talking about that in the past, I think it was some Air Force goon who lost his security clearance because of that and then I think killed himself a few years later?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kesper North posted:

Semi-related, I do wonder the degree to which equipment designed for export (like all those Russian AA batteries) also contain backdoors to prevent them from being used against the manufacturing nation.

A joke at work was that the 737 MCAS problem was actually a glitch in that type of system.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/Militarydotcom/status/1215412746663223297

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

It is well known that battle dolphins are with the allies. The communist squids on the other hand..

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I still need to see this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Dante80 posted:

It is well known that battle dolphins are with the allies. The communist squids on the other hand..

Solipsist squid.

Seth Dickinson posted:

TESTIMONY BEFORE AN EMERGENCY SESSION OF THE NAVAL CEPHALOPOD COMMAND

The squid is a solipsistic psychopathic God with a lust for
submarine hull and a mandate from Ronald Reagan branded on its hunting
tentacles. It sweeps east from Iceland in the cold under the
thermocline, alone in the dark, solitary lord of a solitary place.

Make no mistake, compadres: this is not a squid with which to gently caress.
It’s rolling in thirty billion dollars of military appropriation,
black as the depths that birthed its species. It’s got a sonar
harness, anti-submarine beacons, limpet mines, encrypted datalinks,
kilos of squid nutritional supplement cooked up by DARPA. We’re not
talking Cephal-Os, kids. We’re talking potent biochemistry here. Squid
meth. Squid PCP.

– bear with me, Rear Admiral. I’m going places you haven’t been.
Places you need to be before I tell you how to stop him, and what I
want in exchange.

gently caress the Joint Chiefs. I’m talking

https://www.drabblecast.org/2013/12/06/drabblecast-305-testimony-emergency-session-naval-cephalopod-command/

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

SimonCat posted:

I still need to see this.

better sequel than escape from la

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

goatsestretchgoals posted:

better sequel than escape from la

Day of the Tentacle went all serious, I see.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

if john carpenter pulled his synth out for the music, i would probably still watch it

nazi dolphins who are also communist and hate humans? yeah okay clan...OH GOD THAT SYNTH MUSIC

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Mazz posted:

Assuming an average flyaway cost of $115M for these 35As, it's a little under 6 billion worth of airplanes on that runway.

On a unit-cost basis, this picture still wins

I thought supersonic stealth inlet geometry was something that the free world was trying hard not to share with the China or Russia - or is all the trick stuff further back in the duct than that?

Or, you know, moot because of the Tangerin Candidate?

e: NVM, just looked at the full sized image. vvv Yep.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

IPCRESS posted:

I thought supersonic stealth inlet geometry was something that the free world was trying hard not to share with the China or Russia - or is all the trick stuff further back in the duct than that?

Or, you know, moot because of the Tangerin Candidate?

Don't they have dummy panels in the inlets to stop that?

edit: saw your edit, I assume that's what you're talking about