Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

4 eps into the witcher, pretty much everyone is an rear end in a top hat but geralt is at least a cool rear end in a top hat

Yeah, I started watching it with a friend and we got halfway through the first episode before giving up, everyone except Geralt was just so unlikable. I think my friend didn't even like him because of the intro scene. And I guess the suspiciously young grandpa in the castle was cool, but it was looking like he was probably going to die so :shrug:

At least in the game the governments are all fucksticks but most of the random civilians you interact with are sympathetic. Not bragging about killing dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Any given civilian in Witcher world could be killing dogs in their spare time and you'd have no way of knowing. In fact that's probably the local pastime.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I honestly don't get "everyone's an rear end in a top hat" as a criticism of the show, especially when the whole point is that people are just as monstrous as the monsters, and sometimes more so.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I honestly couldn't get into GoT since it was so grim but I don't mind it as much in Witcher since its basically a campy parody of fairy tales instead of trying to be serious. Henry Cavill is cool and the bits where hes just hunting monsters or whatever are the best. Episode 3 with the striga was really good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

THS posted:

drat everything to watch sucks

Watch anime.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MizPiz posted:

I honestly don't get "everyone's an rear end in a top hat" as a criticism of the show, especially when the whole point is that people are just as monstrous as the monsters, and sometimes more so.

It's the rear end in a top hat equivalent of GoT killing off all of the characters. If I have no connection to the characters I don't give enough of a gently caress to watch/read, same as if all of the characters I have a connection to get killed off.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

StashAugustine posted:

That's pretty much Sorry to Bother You

Also Joker.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Watch anime.

Vinland Saga is dope, and the fighting bits aren’t even the best parts.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

He better not be saying that this is the anniversary of the kiss because I’ve wanted more Mission Hillfor a long, long time

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Just to clarify, the best parts of Vinland Saga are the gorgeous vistas that contrast the insignificant smallness of characters to the immense beauty of the world while they contemplate their relationship with God.

Then vikings start cutting each other in half.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I like that Super Robot Wars ZII instantly gives me two options: Side with Celestial Being against the EU and UK-US Empire or side with the Gundam Wing boys against the EU and UK-US Empire. Either way Gundams are blasting imperialists in Africa.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/jacobisanadult/status/1215126592109862913?s=20

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1215007789547999235?s=20

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

finally gonna get the Spider-Man & Elsa crossover

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Warner Bros announced today that they are pulling their AI-driven film management system offline after it consistently refused to distribute any films other than Birth Of A Nation and Song Of The South.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Finger Hitler Family 4: Monkeys on the Bed

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Just to clarify, the best parts of Vinland Saga are the gorgeous vistas that contrast the insignificant smallness of characters to the immense beauty of the world while they contemplate their relationship with God.

The anime's not bad, but man is the art in the manga spectacular.

100% the best part of that series isn't the fighting, even though it's done very well. Thorfinn and Askaladd's conversation in the old Roman ruins for example.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Manga is almost always better than anime because the drawings look really good rather than awkwardly jerking about and compromising the manga persons aesthetic to make it a cartoon

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In my humble opinion of course

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Does The Witcher have the duck horse like the greatest fantasy story of all time: Guts the Man Who Was Berserk

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The backgrounds and coloration in the anime are pretty top notch imo. I read the manga years ago, all the way up to a while after the last episode of the season when it's in Denmark.

Still, the best anime this season is Eizouken! and it's only the first episode so far. Yuuasa did it again, folks.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Manga is almost always better than anime because the drawings look really good rather than awkwardly jerking about and compromising the manga persons aesthetic to make it a cartoon

I feel like i'm slowly becoming a manga-over-anime person, since nowadays I'm way more likely to binge through a manga than an anime series. Like, I'm happy that a series like Beastars got popular enough to get an anime adaption with surprisingly decent CGI, but man, it does not comparable to manga's original artwork.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I mean, that's what happened in real life.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's a thoroughly researched work of historical fiction.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

it has been interesting seeing vikings have a spike of popularity for the past however many years it has been since skyrim and vikings on the history channel

a lot of the people into it are just chasing that dovahkiin energy high but unfortunately norse mythology has also become a rallying point for neo nazis, i've seen some of the former clash with the latter because they don't want their thor and odin larping ruined by fascists

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I avoided the vikings surge but did watch Norsemen and liked it. I didn't think it was funny mind you, I just really liked the whole re-enactment aspect of it. And how it completely avoids high-end political drama to just be about vikings doing viking thangs.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Norsemen was pretty funny to me because the way it is written makes it sort The Office with Vikings, maybe it only comes across that way in Norwegian. It has an Asterix vibe to it.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Demon Slayer's anime adaptation is one of the few that I like the action more in the anime than the manga because the action on the page isn't that great but that action animated looks real good.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

hello cspam do you like Satoshi Kon because i do

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
general electric and johnson and johnson make my favorite music

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

T-man posted:

we lost him way too soon :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The better animes are like, 24 episodes max. It seems like either they're British levels of short or they go on forever.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sarazanmai was only 11 episodes and it's arguably the best of 2019.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Equeen posted:

we lost him way too soon :(

the fact that a good anime guy existed was an affront to God's will, so Satoshi was struck down by a bolt of holy fury.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

love to see tokenist racism in cspam

its ok people im not racist because there's at least one good one

how can u say i hate Africans when ive read Chinua Achebe?

Frida Kahlo? She sure existed.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/davidgross_man/status/1215672977280380929?s=20

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Tezuka was good

Serious post:

Either way I roll my eyes at anime hate now because it boils down to "the animation made by this country is all bad" which should be as ridiculous as "the films made by this country are all bad".

Now if you want to trash Western "otaku" culture. There's a loving thing to trash.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

T-man posted:

I left my paranoia agent soundtrack cd in the last car I traded in and I'm still a little sad

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know exactly what sort of nasty anime poo poo I hate and I'm pretty specific about it. Japan's comics and animation culture has produced an enviable amount of transcendent works (especially manga) but also a huge amount of embarrassing solipsistic pervert poo poo custom made for depressed losers to embitter themselves against the real world and slump towards the grave obsessing over who the "best girl" in a voyeuristic "slice of life" or "mmo harem" show is. I blame go nagai that slippery little pervert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

welcome to hell motherfuckers