Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You could have a really short list of " Really good comic strips"

and an also short list of " Strips that COULD be good but aren't"

Dick Tracy and Phantom go on that second list. COULD be good, but.....just loving isn't.

Tracy is ACAB and Phantom is some Boomer Power fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Retail

Get Fuzzy 1/8/00

Like a dog is going to care about any of that.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

BigglesSWE posted:

I read modern Tracy in these threads because I’m fascinated by the different ways they keep messing up their arcs.

same except I only look at it when people react and say it's doing wild poo poo so I didn't even see the anti-Semitic arc holy moly

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Bobulus posted:

No, one of the completely bizarre plot points of this comic is that some alien creature started on Venus, I guess abandoned it when it became uninhabitable(?), stopped by on Earth (and apparently hosed some humans to make mermaids(?)), and then traveled to Mars to start a new civilization. Which was prompted wiped out when Mars became sentient and deliberately killed them all with their own machines.
Of course! How stupid of me! Boy is my face red!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Classic Cat

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering if Holbrook decides that Venus became "too hot" because of mer-made (hyuk) global warming or because it remembered it's so close to the sun.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm wondering if Holbrook decides that Venus became "too hot" because of mer-made (hyuk) global warming or because it remembered it's so close to the sun.

Because Venus is pregnant with the child of a sentient shape-shifting computer planet. Just mash all the worst Holbrook bullshit together.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

This comic makes no sense. How am I supposed to read this thing when they're all vertical and there aren't two columns? :v:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I don't think Allen understands Mark constantly whining during this expedition he agreed to come on just makes him seem like a weird killjoy

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i finally made it through my comic backlog and was going to see if it was cool to try and start posting bloom county since gocomics seemed to have it all, but i see i've already been beaten to the punch. nice! it's pretty nice and the art is cool. sure beats the hell out of a lot of the copy/pasted stuff going on in some of the current zombie strips.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (August 26, 1932)

Peanuts (January 11, 1973)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 10, 1936)

Out Our Way (December 14-16, 1933)

Toonerville Folks (June 26-27 and 29, 1916)

Dok's "If Loudness Persists For More Than Five Hours, Consult Your Doctor" Duck (January 14, 1913)

Rube Goldberg (January 10-12, 1924)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

For gently caress's sake, Les! I don't think I've ever seen someone whine so much about using up a few sick days! Just take a couple of days off and shut up.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

riderchop posted:

same except I only look at it when people react and say it's doing wild poo poo so I didn't even see the anti-Semitic arc holy moly

It was an arc about anti-semitism, not an anti-Semitic arc. A ripped from the headlines style story based on that huge vandalism spree at the Jewish cemetery in Pennsylvania a couple years back, if I remember correctly.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I remember someone in a completely different thread about like the hardy boys or something posted about the storyline where tracy goes to the moon to rescue the moon princess and I couldn't believe he wasn't BSing

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set lives like royalty.

Working Daze is embarrassing when it tries to be meta.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix ships it.

Cul De Sac misses its window.

:smith:

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I for one enjoy hate-reading modern Tracy.

Hwurmp posted:

Actually that is Snag Toothle and his EU backstory is as follows(1/438):

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Zutton/Legends

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

It's just a kiss, dudes, they're not loving.

I wonder who's holding the camera.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Julet Esqu posted:

It's just a kiss, dudes, they're not loving.

I wonder who's holding the camera.

Good lord, you can't be serious. They wouldn't show loving on Instragram!

That's for livestreaming to her premium subscribers.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It was an arc about anti-semitism, not an anti-Semitic arc. A ripped from the headlines style story based on that huge vandalism spree at the Jewish cemetery in Pennsylvania a couple years back, if I remember correctly.

That came out of nowhere in what we thought was an arc about... thefts at a comic convention, I think?

Anyway, also glad to see Bloom County back, I've always loved it. I read it as a kid and so much of it went right over my head, it's great reading it now that I'm older.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Why do all the characters in Funky Winkerbean look insufferably smug all the time?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haifisch posted:

Locher Tracy
drat these new regulations! How am I supposed to do my job if I can't murder fleeing suspects?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't think Allen understands Mark constantly whining during this expedition he agreed to come on just makes him seem like a weird killjoy
Not just agreed to, he's also being paid to be there.

Unlucky7 posted:

Why do all the characters in Funky Winkerbean look insufferably smug all the time?
Because they are insufferably smug all the time.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Unlucky7 posted:

Tiggum posted:

Because they are insufferably smug all the time.

Don't you wish all of life's questions had easy answers like that?

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Juckia

I'll probably take up posting Dick Tracy if it's going to disappear. Its banality fascinates me.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Unlucky7 posted:

It's a common practice to use a mirror when drawing expressions.

King Aroo 8/20/53

They'll Do It Every Time 7/27/46

Mopsy 8/6/42

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Classic Cat

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Parents beware: social media will lead your children* to immoral behaviour!

*adult-aged

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Parents beware: social media will lead your children* to immoral behaviour!

*adult-aged

I read ahead to the latest one and hahaha they really are adult aged children.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Oh gently caress this bullshit! Guy should be laughed right out of university for somehow being so incompetent that he made actively malfunctioning AI. What's even the use of an IoT appliance if there's a good chance it won't open up for you, or spew hot coffee on your face, or act too helpful and tell anyone your WiFi password. I think what pisses me off more is that I came in expecting some stupid Holbrooksian explanation on what makes Guy's IoT security so secure, only for Holbrook to skip all of that and just declare that he passed.

And I know this defense is a big farce, but why is Dethany even here? Even if it's their home, she should at least go away for a few hours so her boyfriend can finish his thesis without her hovering around and making it awkward for everyone.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Tiggum posted:

Not just agreed to, he's also being paid to be there.

What really bugs me is Mark going ,"Well Genie told me Nepal was going to be modern, so I assumed people here would have cellphones." There's no way to spin that that doesn't make Mark/James sound like a condescending rear end in a top hat.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Jucika has the same type of charm as Arlo and Janis, I feel. Sorry for the lack of Corto yesterday everyone, I was travelling. But on that note, in today's Corto Maltese: Corto lives for revenge, or Corto engages in some T.E.A., or El Cairo gives the guarantee of all mercenaries

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I think every Dick Tracy reader can agree that it can only get better the further away we get from the Lum and Abner garbage.

Anyway, has anyone ever posted The Heart of Juliet Jones before? It's mostly a standard soap opera story. The titular character is a sensible young woman living in the small town of Devon. She's so sensible that she was elected mayor. Most of the drama comes from her younger sister, Eve, who is more romantically inclined. But this story begins with their father, Pop Jones, who is just shutting up the office...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it used to be posted but I've no idea why it stopped showing up here.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Because posting comics everyday is very boring and can be unrewarding. I very much enjoyed Juliet Jones when it was posted.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 17, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 17, 1998)

Garfield Classic (June 17, 1988)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Far too ornate for brutalism.

(I debated taking the face off entirely, but you can justify the face serves a function to help identify it as a snowman)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

God A&J is good, past and present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It's terrific!