Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Oh Boeing:

Snipe:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/business/boeing-737-messages.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BalloonFish posted:

Shell was eventually convinced to experiment with blending benzole into this new fuel to create what was called F12 Spirit or 'Super Borneo' gasoline, which testing showed allowed the Rolls-Royce Eagle to safely run at compression ratios of 6:1 but by then the war was winding down and Shell was never really dedicated to the project...and thus lost a huge amount of commercial ground by not properly investigating an alternative to TEL in the 1920s.

Of interest to you will be that Alcock & Brown were able to obtain a supply of F12 Spirit from Shell at a knock-down price for their trans-Atlantic flight because Shell saw it as a way of getting rid of a largely useless batch of experimental high-performance fuel.

As always, friend, thanks for the deets. I began wondering about these things when I read one of the competitors of the trans-Atlantic race, knocked out by misfortune, gave Alcock and Brown their Shell-provided fuel. It got me wondering about if the gas was special or not; given the time and place, I could see high quality gasoline being something hard to get hands on in quantity.

slidebite posted:

Trudeau has officially came out and said it was taken down by a missile, possibly not intentionally.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/trudeau-iran-plane-crash-iran-missile-strike-203133410.html

I'm not sure how reported it is outside of Canada, but about half the passengers on that 737 were Canadian.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The headline is literally: "Boeing Employees Mocked F.A.A. in Internal Messages"

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Sounds like Boeing employees mocking Boeing safety standards to me, which is way worse

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Boeing safety standards are eminently mockable.

…just not in the way they were doing it.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Wait they even fought against airlines that wanted training? I don't understand how that benefits them. Was it to hide how poo poo that plane is?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

quote:

The language used in these communications, and some of the sentiments they express, are inconsistent with Boeing values...
This will ultimately include disciplinary or other personnel action,

"The problem, clearly, were those saying these things - and most certainly not the concerns that they were saying them about.

The issue will be resolved when we fire several people, once we can just work out who is junior enough to blame."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm not sure how reported it is outside of Canada, but about half the passengers on that 737 were Canadian.

Over a third of the passengers held Canadian citizenship. 138 of 176 were reported to be connecting to Canada and probably had ties to Canada regardless of citizenship.

30 were from one city alone, Edmonton, estimated to have resulted in 1% of the Persian community in Edmonton perishing on board that flight. It cuts very close to home.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

keevo posted:

Wait they even fought against airlines that wanted training? I don't understand how that benefits them. Was it to hide how poo poo that plane is?

When one airline does something different, the others start wondering why, and questions start getting asked.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
This thought paused in my head, so I thought I'd throw it out here ...

Could it be possible that The Great Satan had previously infected the Iranian Air defense ala stuxnet.
If plausible, that could mean the USA have clowned the Iranians twice in a week.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is it strictly possible? Yeah.

Does it make any sense? No.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
On the technical side of things, infiltrating an air defence network has problems that Stuxnet didn’t.

Stuxnet spread via sneakernet, but if you’re potentially firing missiles at airliners, you want a real‐time connection. It’s not good enough to just throw a wrench in the system and walk away.

The need for stealth is also much greater. After Stuxnet did its job, it’s fine that they knew who was responsible.

Infiltrating a foreign nation’s military systems and using that power to kill allies’ civilians is, to put it lightly, frowned upon. It’s something you don’t want people to be able to connect to you even generations later.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A nation‐state that wanted to down an airliner and blame it on someone else has a million better ways to do it than hacking SAMs.

Let us not go into details, but they’re not hard to imagine. At least one came up in this very thread and was debunked by video of missiles in flight.

It’s like when conspiracy theorists go on about “crisis actors”. A cabal like that would just kill a bunch of people for real.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

A Boeing Employee posted:

This airplane is designed by clowns, who are in turn supervised by monkeys.

I see the team that designed the Vnav system on the NG got promoted to project lead for the max.

I bet the airlines are thrilled that Boeing is now recommending mandatory sim time for max pilots. Some of the larger max operators are probably looking at multiple years to get all their pilots qualed in the max. Especially LUV which isn't used to having to deal with pilots who aren't qualified to fly every plane in the fleet.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love that Boeing and the FAA felt obligated to state that employees revealing a corporate culture of flagrant disregard and disrespect for safety regulations does not in any way indicate additional safety issues for their aircraft. Like hell it doesn’t.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 10, 2020

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And that is why, before Brown Moses found the video that is now on CNN, there was a real question as to what brought down the Tehran aircraft built by Bugfuck-Boeing in 2016.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

I see the team that designed the Vnav system on the NG got promoted to project lead for the max.

I bet the airlines are thrilled that Boeing is now recommending mandatory sim time for max pilots. Some of the larger max operators are probably looking at multiple years to get all their pilots qualed in the max. Especially LUV which isn't used to having to deal with pilots who aren't qualified to fly every plane in the fleet.

Southwest has something like 10k pilots and, AFAIK, one (1) max simulator.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
This’ll buff out right?

https://twitter.com/airporthaber/status/1215566068665720832?s=21

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There are only 8 MAX sims in the entire United States

On a related note, know any manufacturing companies needing someone with extensive inspection, planning and supply chain management experience?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Any landing you can hobble away from...

The translation says the did an emergency landing due to smoke. Perhaps they landed hard, trying to make it down fast? Bouncing and ending up nose gear first is a classic.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boeing employee posted:

This airplane is designed by clowns, who are in turn supervised by monkeys.

New thread title right here.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1215360690900303874

Yep. Seems fine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
well the wing fall off

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Plane is a write off but thank god the major is ok.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

On the technical side of things, infiltrating an air defence network has problems that Stuxnet didn’t.

Stuxnet spread via sneakernet, but if you’re potentially firing missiles at airliners, you want a real‐time connection. It’s not good enough to just throw a wrench in the system and walk away.

The need for stealth is also much greater. After Stuxnet did its job, it’s fine that they knew who was responsible.

Infiltrating a foreign nation’s military systems and using that power to kill allies’ civilians is, to put it lightly, frowned upon. It’s something you don’t want people to be able to connect to you even generations later.

As a deliberate action, it wouldn't make much sense. As an unforeseen consequence of indiscriminate sabotage by virus, it's plausible, at least.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Gervasius posted:

Is it really different from the one we have?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
WTF this thread has had that subtitle for almost a year.

PT6A posted:

We had a guy doing spins in one of our 172s with three people on board, and posting videos of it on social media which he then shared with our dispatchers. Idiots gonna idiot no matter what plane you stick them in.

charliemonster42 posted:

:catstare:

That is a true commitment to poor judgement from start to finish. I'm actually impressed.

Kilonum posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Aeronautical Insanity: A true commitment to poor judgement

Anyway, the Boeing employee’s quote is funnier because it’s from a Boeing employee and it was made in reference to the 737 MAX itself. It’s not an unrelated quote that just happens to be applicable.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I googled Jerry Wagner and was not disappointed

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WholeDelightfulLabradorretriever-mobile.mp4

Didn't even spill his drink.

Speaking of idiots

quote:

“I just jedi mind tricked this fools. I should be given $1,000 every time I take one of these calls. I save this company a sick amount of $$$$.”

“Would you put your family on a MAX simulator trained aircraft? I wouldn’t.”

“I’ll be shocked if the FAA passes this turd.”

“This is a joke. This airplane is ridiculous.”

“Best part is we are re-starting this whole thing with the 777X with the same supplier and have signed up to an even more aggressive schedule!”

“Jesus, it’s doomed.”

https://fortune.com/2020/01/10/designed-clowns-supervised-monkeys-internal-boeing-messages-slam-737-max/

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 10, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
TFW you’re really committed to a thorough and impartial crash investigation:

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1215606961737216000?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ll give them one thing:

They left no stone unturned.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

As a deliberate action, it wouldn't make much sense. As an unforeseen consequence of indiscriminate sabotage by virus, it's plausible, at least.

It couldn't literally be stuxnet as that virus was designed to infect Windows computers and specifically targeted Siemens industrial control software. There's no way a virus like that could inadvertently infect a Russian SAM system and cause a missile release. If there was a cyber-warfare component to this, it would have to have been designed specifically to attack air defense systems somehow.

But that doesn't pass occam's razor. Which is more plausible:

1) A heretofore-unknown weaponized computer virus was surreptitiously installed on Iranian air defense systems at some point in the past by (CIA, Mossad, etc) agents, and it either was meant to simply incapacitate the system but backfired and somehow commanded a missile release against a civilian airliner, or was designed specifically to launch missiles without authorization against commercial flights as a ghoulish false-flag terrorist operation; or,

2) Some less-than-disciplined SAM operators, jumpy and fearful amidst a political crisis that may turn out to be the eve of world war 3, misinterpreted some radar displays and launched in error.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Which is more likely, thing that has happened a half dozen times or thing that barely even exists in the fever dreams of airport thriller writers.

Add to your calculation the statements of both the US and Canadian governments.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Why would other nations and airliners trust any Boeing plane certified by FAA. The real solution for this mess is to have EASA certify Boeing and FAA can certify Airbus. When the regulating body has the incentive to never let the "competitor's" plane off the ground, and only allow it when they can find no flaw or the wailings of airliners begging for new planes becomes intolerable, is when we get real safety. This would also incentive the governments to give the regulators the resources they need.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Saukkis posted:

Why would other nations and airliners trust any Boeing plane certified by FAA. The real solution for this mess is to have EASA certify Boeing and FAA can certify Airbus. When the regulating body has the incentive to never let the "competitor's" plane off the ground, and only allow it when they can find no flaw or the wailings of airliners begging for new planes becomes intolerable, is when we get real safety. This would also incentive the governments to give the regulators the resources they need.

Out of genuine curiosity, who would then certify planes from Bombadier, Embraer, Ilyushin, Comac, and other non-US, non-European manufacturers?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Gervasius posted:

agreed, unless it is too long. If so, current one still fits the situation.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 10, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sagebrush posted:

But that doesn't pass occam's razor. Which is more plausible:

I didn't say it was the most plausible scenario.

Mortabis posted:

Add to your calculation the statements of both the US and Canadian governments.

No offense, but wrt. anything remotely connected to Iran, the US government is among the least credible sources you can find on Earth, somewhere in the same ballpark as the Iranian government.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Platystemon posted:

WTF this thread has had that subtitle for almost a year.

Anyway, the Boeing employee’s quote is funnier because it’s from a Boeing employee and it was made in reference to the 737 MAX itself. It’s not an unrelated quote that just happens to be applicable.

Jerry just keeps the title kicking, tbh. Not only does he do the stupid poo poo he does, he also feels the need to put videos of it on YouTube. And then, if that wasn’t enough, he posts on reddit (with his tail number as his username, no less) defending his actions!!

Then again, I may be biased.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

No offense, but wrt. anything remotely connected to Iran, the US government is among the least credible sources you can find on Earth, somewhere in the same ballpark as the Iranian government.

At this point you do better believing the opposite of anything coming from the US government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cat Mattress posted:

This is not true, but regardless, you should at least believe the Canadian government.